The energy of San Diego's Uptown area sparkles no better than in its kitchens. From the plate to the pavement, there's never a dull moment on San Diego's fabulous "Hill."
Our Hillcrest tour is for ages 16+.
Some of the restaurant stops on our Hillcrest tour include:
- Jimmy Carter's Mexican Cafe - Homestyle Mexican eats in the most colorful house around.
- Origano - An inviting Italian eatery that starts the day with breakfast pizza and ends it with inventive pasta dishes.
- Kona Coffee - Daily roasted coffee beans from the slopes of Hualalai and Mauna Loa.
- Rgang - food & fun, refueled. Contemporary Retro-American food.
- Bearito Republic - Enjoy delicious south-of-the-border flavors combined with locally sourced ingredients, made fresh to order.
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance or can I just show up with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out! To make sure you get the time and date you want, we suggest you book far in advance (one month or more). Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted. Even if you hand it to us cold.
- What should I expect if I take one of these Food Walking Tours?
- Oh, a lot! At the start of your tour one of Bite San Diego’s guides will check you in at the first restaurant. Then, you’re off on a 1.5 to 2 mile stroll which will stop at five more restaurants (so you’ll be visiting 6 total). At each restaurant, you’ll sample the cuisine while learning about its importance and impact in San Diego. During the walking portion of the tour, your guide will share interesting facts and stories about the buildings, streets, and culture of San Diego.
- Are there other tours available?
- We currently have tours in Old Town, Downtown, La Jolla, Hillcrest, Coronado, Julian and North Park too!
- How much walking are we talking about here?
- Our tour covers a 1.5 to 2 mile route on flat surfaces. We are on our feet for most of the entire tour, but we keep the walking and stopping to a leisurely pace. This is San Diego - we’re laid back.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We love this question! A list of the fabulous restaurants we visit is included in the Description of the tour.
- I was thinking of bringing my nephew/screaming baby/twin toddlers. Good idea?
- Not really. Bite San Diego is truly for those interested in foodie facts, San Diego history, and “grown up” food. This tour is for adults ages 21 and up only. Please consider taking the La Jolla, Old Town, and Coronado Food Tasting and Walking Tour if you have teenagers that would like to attend the tour.
- What if it rains?
- We operate rain or shine. However, San Diego is sunny 340 or more days a year. It will probably be perfectly sunny for your tour.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- San Diego is pretty casual when it comes to fashion so don’t feel compelled to look like you’re “going out.” Dress as you would for a lunch or picnic, keeping in mind you’ll be casually strolling for about 2 miles. We don’t mind if you wear an “I LOVE SAN DIEGO” t-shirt from a local tourist shop. We wear those shirts all the time ourselves.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- No, so if your tour guide is just fantastic and impresses the pants off you, give him or her a tip to show your thanks.
- How many people can go on one tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour is 17.
- How much food will we eat on the tour?
- There are six stops on the Hillcrest tour. Unless you are a food vacuum, you probably won't be hungry for lunch afterward.
- What type of food and drinks will we taste on the tour?
- All types. In Hillcrest, we try everything from Mexican, BBQ, locally sourced American food, healthy Californian and more. However, these are all subject to change by our chefs' whims.
- Wait! How will I remember what restaurants to go back to?
- Don’t you worry. Your tour guide will provide you with a handout outlining the tour route and the names and contact info of the restaurants we’ll be visiting.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Yes, you’ll have the opportunity to have water at any restaurant we stop at. In addition, some restaurants will have alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase. Be sure to bring cash if you would like to purchase additional drinks!
- Do I need to be 21 and over to participate in the tour?
- This tour does include tastings of alcoholic beverages and is 21 and up. Please be sure you bring a valid ID.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- Well, our tours are probably not for you. All of our restaurants are partners of ours and we cannot ask them to modify samples, which are usually showcases of their best dishes. We're sorry.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair and/or stroller accessible?
- This is California, where everywhere is a place you can wheel along! (Or else you’d be sued.) So yes, bring your wheels if you normally do and ride along with us. All of the surfaces we walk on are flat.
- Are there restrooms available on the tour?
- Yes. The tour visits a number of restaurants, therefore bathrooms will be available at each stop during the tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. We also don’t speak California Surfer or Stuck Up Foodie.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Oh, we love dogs, but sadly, the Health Department does not. Please leave your pooch at home.
- Is there public parking available nearby?
- Yes, parking is available. Once you book your tickets, detailed suggestions are given.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native or local San Diegan?
- Of course! Many of our guests live in San Diego. Locals often go on our tours to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Besides, we don’t look like a tourist group, and we give you access to restaurants and info we’re sure you’ve never experienced or known before.
- What about signing a waiver or something like that?
- Yep, we do ask each guest to sign a waiver stating that you understand Bite San Diego and the restaurants we visit cannot be held responsible for losses, delays, damages, accidents or injuries caused by persons engaged in carrying out the services of the tours.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! If you are interested in gift certificates, please click on the "Contact BiteSanDiego" link to inquire about purchasing one.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, but you’ll need to contact us directly so we can set this up. Please click on the "Contact BiteSanDiego" link on the left side of the page to inquire about a private tour.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Children under 16 are not permitted.
- Since the tour is for those interested in foodie facts, city history, and "grown up" food, children under 16 are not recommended. If you choose to bring children, they must have a full priced ticket in order to attend (except babies under 1 year who are free and do not need a ticket). Guests 21 and up should bring valid ID - those under 21 will not be able to participate in the alcoholic tastings
Bite San Diego
We help locals and visitors alike explore the growing food scene of "America’s Finest City" via guided food walking tours. Our tours are fun, carefree, intimate, and darn interesting! We take you inside some of San Diego’s exceptional restaurants so you can sample the cuisine that makes "America’s Finest City" something to bite about. We explore the interesting history, insights and stories of San Diego so you can understand the character of both this city and its restaurants.
Bite San Diego is also committed to sustainable urban-rural partnerships that help put healthy, locally grown food on our restaurants’ tables. We support San Diego Roots by making a 2% annual donation of our profits to this great non-profit organization.