Highlights of this 70 minute guided tour include:
- The Old & New State House
- Faneuil Hall
- Boston Massacre Site
- Park Street Church
- King’s Chapel
- Old South Meeting House
- Old Granary Cemetery
- Old City Hall and First Schoolhouse Site
- The Old Corner Bookstore
- Boston Common
- The Irish Famine Memorial
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|jcswales||Mon, Dec 29, 14 10:00 AM||Male||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
We have enjoyed architectural walks in many cities in Europe, Australia, and the USA. Alan's tour was at the pace we wanted to take and questions and stops were welcomed. Alan understands the history as well as the architectural aspects of the buildings and sights he pointed out. I would welcome another tour guided by Alan.
I love the tour
|DEMOSTHEHES||Thu, Oct 9, 14 10:00 AM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
I love the tour, again
Informative guide with a good sense of humor
|RonHopper||Fri, Jun 27, 14 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Combination||Group of Friends|
We are American history buffs (MA residents) and brought our Canadian cousins, who asked to do the Freedom Trail. Our guide was delightful -- knowledgeable with a good sense of humor to keep things interesting.
|lissabrin||Tue, Jun 17, 14 6:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
It was a late afternoon and we happened to be the only group on the tour. The guide was very friendly and funny. He answered any questions and made the tour seem very personal to us. We learned a lot about the history of Boston!
Great historical tour
|Cecilsmichie||Mon, May 12, 14 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Alan the tour guide was wonderful, good sense of humor, loves his city.
Friendly and informative
|Cher14||Mon, May 5, 14 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Alan was great !! We had a very nice tour
Informative and Fun
|cathkelson||Thu, Apr 24, 14 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
It was just my son and I on our tour so our tour was personalized to our interests. Our guide was full of information and fun facts. Always fun learning more about our city and it's history.
Nice up close look at Boston
|kbedsaul||Fri, Apr 4, 14 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We did enjoy our tour, though at times I did have trouble hearing all the details. I was surprised we did not see Paul Reever's house, nor pass by it. As well as the statue and the Old North Church. The cemetery was interesting, as well as the old architecture.
GOOD INTRODUCTION TO HISTORIC BOSTON
|pearsonj||Tue, Jan 21, 14 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We had a nice walking tour (guide Alan). The tour was informative and interesting. It was a nice way to get to know the history of the city. The walk itself wasn't strenuous - covered maybe 1 mile. Alan gave a good overview of the architecture along the way. He pointed out interesting things that we would not have found on our own. This was time well spent and I would take another tour in the future.
could be such a wonderful and informative tour!!
|kohnsue||Tue, Dec 31, 13 10:00 AM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
but, we spent too much time talking on a windy frigid corner before starting the tour -in minus zero temperatures! hard to focus when the cold is so bitter, and there was no place to talk and learn that was protected!!!
- Is advance purchase necessary?
- You must purchase your tickets in advance in order to guarantee your space on the tour. Please book well in advance to maximize your chances of getting the date and time you prefer.
- How long do the walking tours last?
- This tour lasts approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes. Note that this tour is the first part of the 2 hour Downtown Boston to Back Bay Tour.
- How far do we actually walk?
- There will be less than an hour of walking on this tour.
- Do we walk at a leisurely pace?
- There's just so much to see and talk about on this tour that we do stop frequently. We promise not to overwork you!! But we also really want to show off so many wonderful places that you'll be sure to see alot! We try whenever possible to stop in the shade when it's hot and in the sun when it's cool. And where there are benches, we'll point them out.
- What specific historic sites will we see?
- These are just some of the sites you’ll see: Faneuil Hall, the Old and New State Houses, Boston Massacre Site, the Old City Hall, the Old South Meeting House, the Old Corner Bookstore, King’s Chapel, Old Granary Burial Ground, Park Street Church, Boston Common, the Irish Famine Memorial, and more!
- What if I have a particular area of interest?
- If you have a particular area of interest, like history or architecture, please let the guide know and they will likely be able to emphasize that area(s) for the enjoyment of the whole group.
- Are there restrooms on the tour?
- There are restrooms at both the start and end points of the tour. While there are no prescheduled stops along the way, we will make every reasonable effort to meet requests for a stop.
- Will we be able to purchase water along the way?
- On most tours, we will pass by street vendors selling drinks. We will stop there upon request.
- Will there be food available on the tour?
- No. Please have breakfast before we begin, so that we don't inconvenience others on the tour by taking time away for you to get something to eat. If a snack is required, you can purchase one from a street vendor when we stop for drinks.
- Can we do shopping along the way?
- While the tour does pass through shopping areas, we request that you save all shopping until after the tour has finished. At the conclusion of the tour, we will be happy to give you directions to get back to specific shops and locations.
- Can I ask questions?
- YES!!! Questions are always welcome.
- Do I need to purchase a ticket for my child?
- Yes, please purchase a reduced price Child ticket for children ages 5 to 16. Children under the age of 5 may come on the tour for free, but please let us know if you are bringing any young children when you purchase your tickets. Remember to bring a stroller!
- Will my toddler survive the tour?
- This is probably just the right length tour for kids. You'll get all the information, but they won't be getting "antsy". But you know your child best - if you think they'll enjoy it and they'll behave, go ahead and bring 'em along. We'll make it as pleasant as we can for both you and them.
- Is the tour stroller accessible?
- Most of the tour is accessible to strollers and we do recommend them for small children. Please keep in mind, however, that many areas are uneven and there is one set of stairs, but you should be able to carry your children over these short distances.
- Is this tour wheelchair accessible?
- Unfortunately, we do not recommend wheelchairs on these tours because we pass through many old, historic areas with brick and cobblestone paving that can be uneven and make travel in a wheelchair difficult. There is one set of steps.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tour runs rain or shine. If precipitation starts during the tour, rain ponchos are available from the guide. If really severe weather forces us to cancel the tour, you will be able to reschedule to another date or receive credit for a future event.
- How do I get back to my hotel after the tour?
- Your guide will give you specific directions following the tour. If either walking or taking the "T" subway are possibilities, your guide will describe both options for you. Maps will be provided upon request.
- Where does the tour end?
- This particular tour ends on Boston common, at the foot of Beacon Hill. From there, the "Whole City" Tour will be continuing on to Beacon Hill and Back Bay
- What are the differences between the offered tours?
- The Downtown Boston to Copley Square and the Copley Square to Downtown Tours cover many of the same sites. The first, as its name indicates, leaves from Downtown and the second from Copley Square. So you can choose based on which starting point is closest to your hotel or which time offered best meets your needs. The Downtown Freedom Trail is the first half of the Downtown Boston to Copley Square Tour. The North End, Waterfront and Downtown Tour includes the original settled area of Boston and then proceeds to the North End and winds up on the Waterfront. This is a lovely historic tour that goes beyond where the others leave off. It includes Paul Revere's House, the Old North Church, Boston's Italian Area and the oldest commercial block in the city. If you want to sneak in some Italian food, you might want to consider that, too. We'll even give you our recommendations for restaurants!!
- Does the tour have anything to offer a native Bostonian?
- Absolutely! Boston is full of little known secrets and treasures. Its nooks and crannies provide a wealth of sights and stories that go along with them. The anecdotal history your guide will share with you is sure to add new nuances to what you thought you already knew. You'll see a side of the city you never knew existed!
- Are gift certificates available?
- Of course. You can reach Boston CityWalks with the "Contact BostonWalks" link.
- Are Private Tours available for Boston CityWalks Tours?
- We would love to create just the right tour for you or your group. Please click on the "Contact BostonWalks" link to make arrangements!
The Downtown Boston to Back Bay Tour is a particular favorite of folks who really want to get to know Boston. You not only see the famous Historic Sites, but you learn the history and happenings in context. And you get to to appreciate the beautiful architecture that spans the centuries from the 1700's to today. From Boston's oldest to the newest, you get to see it all!
The Downtown Freedom Trail Tour makes up the first half of the Tour above, for those with limited time or who wish to mainly see the Revolutionary-War era related sites.
Boston CityWalks also does customized tours to your specifications. These personalized walking tours are perfect for Family Vacations, Weddings & Engagement Parties, Birthdays, Anniversaries, Reunions, Family Get-Togethers, Graduations, Business Meetings, Conventions and other Special Events.