Join us for an action packed day on our 24 Hour Canyon Tuna Trip! Our boat goes out for a full day excursion where you can spend time fishing with our experienced, knowledgeable captain and crew.
The Brooklyn VI is a 110’ long, 26' wide, super-fast super cruiser! It is one of New York's largest fishing boats and features:
- A spacious cabin with room for up to 132 passengers
- Temperature control for a comfortable experience all year round
- The latest navigation and fishing technologies
- The ability to go up to 27 knots!
- A gourmet galley where food ranging from a snack to a full course meal is available
We look forward to booking you on our next trip!
What Is Not Included?
- You are free to bring your own equipment or rent a rod and tackle from us.
- Our crew works hard to keep the deck clean. Gratuities are appreciated!
- What has the catch been like lately?
- The 2012 tuna season was a good one for the BROOKLYN VI, and we are hoping for another good tuna season in 2013
- I have never been fishing before. Is that okay?
- Yes! We encourage people of all different experience levels to come fishing with us. Our crew will help you learn all the necessary techniques to begin.
- How many fish can I keep?
- You are allowed 3 Yellowfin Tuna per person. There is no limit on Longfin tuna and no limit on Mahi Mahi.
- How far out do we go? At what depth will we be fishing?
- We fish all Canyons from as far east as Atlantis to as far south as Baltimore, including Hudson, Toms, Carteret, Lindenkol, Spencer, and ECT. We generally fish 100-140 miles offshore.
- What is the minimum age for a child?
- Children must be at least 12 years old to come on any off-shore trips.
- How long will the fishing trip be?
- This excursion will last a minimum of 24 hours.
- How long is it until we start fishing?
- Our closest canyon is 100 miles away, and it takes about 5 1/2hrs to get there. If we are fishing further out it could be upwards of 7hrs until we drop lines.
- Do you guarantee that fish will be caught?
- We can't guarantee that you will catch fish, but we do guarantee that we will try our hardest to help you catch fish.
- Will we be jig fishing or chunk bait fishing?
- We use both.
- What can I do with the fish that I catch?
- We recommend that you have the fish cleaned by our expert mates. They can clean the fish on the way back to the marina.
- How many people will be on this trip?
- We take up to 30 passengers on this off shore trip.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required on all off shore trips, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Is there a fuel surcharge?
- The BROOKLYN VI keeps its fares as low as possible. The only way a fuel surcharge would be collected would be if fuel prices rose to above $4.00 per gallon.
- What happens if it rains?
- We will go out rain or shine. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time, in which case you will be allowed to reschedule (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- If the trip is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately we do not have waiting lists for our trips. While cancellations are rare, you may try to purchase tickets at the start of the trip. However, we cannot guarantee that there will be any room left! To maximize your chance of getting the day and time of your preferred trip, please buy tickets in advance.
- Is this trip suitable for pregnant women?
- No, this trip is not suitable for pregnant women.
- How early should I arrive to check in before the trip?
- We begin boarding one hour before sailing, and recommend that you check in an hour and a half before the trip departs.
- --------------------------WHAT SHOULD I BRING-----------------------------
- Is food included in the price of the ticket?
- No, but there is a full galley available on board. Please bring cash if you would like to purchase food or beverages from the galley.
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- Absolutely, and of any size! We have more than enough room for anything you would like to bring.
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- Yes, you may bring your own food and beverages aboard the boat. We do not allow any hard liquor on the boat. Beverages can be alcoholic (in moderation) or non-alcoholic. Large cases of beer will not be allowed on board. No more than a 6-pack is allowed per person, and alcohol may only be consumed on our way back to port. NO alcoholic beverages are allowed to be drank on the way out or during fishing on all off shore trips. You may only drink on the way back.
- What should I bring?
- You can bring a sleeping bag and/or air mattress to sleep on if you'd like. We recommend bringing a pillow, toiletries and a change of clothes as well.
- What types of food and beverages are available on board?
- We have our own gourmet galley where you can get a snack or a full 3-course home-cooked meal. We've got hot dogs, hamburgers, and other snacks typical of a ball-park. The Brooklyn VI offers you a wide selection of home-made food.
- Should I bring cash with me?
- The galley is cash only, so if you would like to take advantage of our full service galley please bring cash. Please also keep in mind that we recommend a gratuity for the crew that works so hard to ensure a great trip! Tips make up a big part of the crew's salary, and remember that while this trip is a minimum of 24 hours, the crew works hours before and hours after to make sure you have the best trip possible....PLEASE DO NOT FORGET THE CREW!
- ------------------FISHING EQUIPMENT/LICENSES-------------------------
- Will I need a license to go fishing?
- No - in New York State no one is required to have a license to go on our day fishing trip.
- Can you provide me with fishing gear, bait, and tackle?
- We can provide all the necessary equipment to rent for the day for a nominal fee. Bait is included (Butterfish, Sardines & live bait caught while fishing), and tackle is available for sale on board (hooks, leaders, jigs, etc.).
- Typically, what is the method that you use to catch the tuna?
- Both jig and bait methods work. There will be times where one method out-fishes the other, but we recommend preparing to use both.
- What type of gear do I need?
- You should have a 6/0 penn senator or equal with a stand up 5'5 rod. We would recommend no less than 80lb test line even though at times lighter line is needed. You will also want to have a jigging rod with you as well as a light spinning rod for catching live bait and mahi mahi.
- Can I fish with multiple rods?
- No. You may only have 1 rod at the rail. If you are going to be away from your rod for more than 5 minutes, you must reel up your line and clear your rod from the rail.
- ----------------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOAT-------------------------
- How much time is spent fishing?
- There is usually about 10-13 hrs of fishing time per trip.
- Is smoking allowed on the boat?
- Yes, smoking is allowed on the Brooklyn VI, but on the outside decks only!!
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- Absolutely! You could even bring a coffin on here! There is a lot of space to store your belongings on board.
- Where will I sleep?
- We have 25 6ft padded benches, and there is also plenty of room for sleeping bags and air beds on the decks.
- Are there restrooms on board?
- Yes! Restrooms are called the "head" on boats. There is a men's head and also a separate women's head.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- We have had people fish on our boat with wheelchairs before, and our crew is always happy to help if someone needs assistance getting on or off the boat. The bathrooms on board are NOT handicap accessible, so please keep this in mind. If you have any concerns about your specific situation, please contact us before the trip by clicking "Contact BrooklynVI" in the upper left-hand corner of this page.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there are life jackets for every person on board, in all sizes. We are Coast Guard certified and licensed to fish 100 miles off-shore.
- Will I get seasick?
- While our vessels are extremely safe, we will be on the water and there will be some movement. If you are prone to motion sickness, consider taking preventative measures beforehand.
- Can I bring my dog or other small pet on board the boat?
- No, we do not allow dogs or other pets on the boat during the trip (except for the captain's dog).
- ------------PRIVATE CHARTERS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES------------
- Can I book a private fishing trip?
- Absolutely! The Brooklyn VI is perfect for private parties, charters, and special occasions. For group rates or private charters, please contact us directly by clicking "Contact Brooklyn VI" on the upper left-hand side of this page.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, they are! Gift Certificates make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this trip, please click on the "Contact BrooklynVI" link on the upper left-hand side of this page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants must be age 12 and up.
- Our offshore trips are not recommended for young children, and we require that everyone be at least 12 years of age.
The Brooklyn VI is a modern super fast, super cruiser. It is 110' long 26' wide which makes it one of New York's largest fishing boats. It is powered by 3 John Deere engines which allows the Brooklyn VI to achieve a maximum speed of up to 27 knots. Our vessel can accommodate up to 132 passengers and can fish up to 120 passengers. The cabin alone can seat over 100 passengers and has temperature control for a comfortable experience all year round. The Brooklyn VI is up-to-date with the latest navigation and fishing technologies.
Captain Robert has been running boats since he was 18yrs old. He specializes in top water fishing and is one of the best Mackerel fisherman in New York. Captain Robert is an all around excellent fisherman.
Captain Mike has been running the Brooklyn VI since he was 21 years old. At age 11 Mike started out working in the galley and worked his way up from deck hand to captain. Captain Mike is a great fisherman and takes much pride in what he does. He runs some of our day trips, and all our offshore trips. When he is not up stairs navigating the vessel he is usually working as a deck hand.
The crew aboard the Brooklyn VI is always the same crew year in and year out. The crew's first priority is safety and service. Throughout your trip the crew will be around to help you whenever you need it. The crew puts in long hard days and nights to make sure you have a memorable experience aboard the Brooklyn VI! Our crew's shift starts 2 hours before leaving, and ends 2 hours after entering the dock.