Come explore the Holy City's oldest streets, cemeteries, churches, and its pre-revolutionary dungeon along the dark edges of Charleston's Haunted Historic District.
Our experienced guides will chill you with stories of:
- Lowcountry superstitions of night time spirits like Plateyes and Boo Hags. Find out how to protect yourself from being followed home or ridden in your sleep.
- Haunted houses and structures like the South End Brewery where a famous Charlestonian tippler committed suicide after watching his family fortune burn and sink to the bottom of the harbor. Learn what the owners of the brewery had to do for him to save their business...
- Criminals, pirates, and others, including Revolutionary hero Isaac Hayne played by Mel Gibson in The Patriot. After the British hanged him for treason, he haunted the home of his daughters until December 20, 1860. Find out why he stopped on that fateful day.
- Charleston's ghosts, poltergeists, and spirits doomed to the realm of mortals.
Step into the realm of the supernatural with Bulldog Tours. Along the way, you'll discover haunted and historic Charleston sites only we can show you!
Don't forget your flash camera! You never know what phantasms you might capture...
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|hford093||Sat, Mar 28 9:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The tour was enjoyable and informative. I wouldn't go out of my way to take it again though.
|sarabecca||Sat, Mar 28 9:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This was my third ghost tour in Charleston. It was okay, not the best I've been on. Last year, my friends and I did the Ghost and Graveyard tour and we liked that one much better. The dungeon mannequins were sort of cheesy, at least in my opinion, but I understand why you would have them. The tour guide was every knowledgeable and made it a good experience though.
Great tour for a taste of history!
|Natalie92283||Thu, Mar 26 7:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
We loved our Dungeon tour especially because the guide was interesting and fun to listen to. I wouldn't really say it's scary, so it's good for people who don't like to be scared. I loved all the history I learned walking to the Dungeon and in the Dungeon itself. As a local, I'll definitely be checking out another tour or two from Bulldog.
Historical Ghost Tour
|SarahJoyR||Sat, Mar 21 7:00 PM||Female||30-39||Combination||Group of Friends|
I love history and the ghost tour provides a lot of it. It is fun to hear about the history of a place along with ghost stories from the area. What is even better is to hear stories that you can't find in the history books. The guide made the history and the ghost stories come alive.
|Againous||Sat, Jan 17 9:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
Had a great time
|Againous||Sat, Jan 17 9:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
Had a great time
|matthewrsy||Sat, Jan 17 7:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
If this was listed strictly as a history tour it would be more accurate. Tour guide was extremely boring and had huge gaps in between talking spots and points. Enjoyed the Ghost and Graveyard tour much more on our last visit.
Bulldog Tours responded:
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy the Ghost and Dungeon Tour. Do you remember your tour guide's name? We would like the opportunity to address it with the correct guide. The tour does actually tell many history tales, but does include some ghost stories as well. It is not intended to be scary like a haunted house. I am sorry that you didn't enjoy the tour, but I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our Ghost and Graveyard Tour. Can you tell us what was good about that tour? Again, thank you for the feedback, but give us a call if you would like to go into more detail about your experience on the Ghost and Dungeon Tour. Call 843-722-8687.
Boring - Not worth the monty
|DebWilley||Sat, Dec 27, 14 9:00 PM||Female||40-49||Combination||Family With Children|
In 1.5 hours we only visited 3 places and all were boring. The guide, although very nice, did not tell stories that we thought helped the event. There was nothing spooky about the experience, not that I expected that, but I did expect some fun/interesting Charleston history - that didn't happen either. We've been on other ghost tours that were very well executed. This was not one of them.
Very informational and entertaining.
|kristincaye||Sat, Dec 27, 14 7:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Having been on a ghost tour in St. Augustine the year before, and getting some great pictures, we were excited to try this in another town. It was a last minute stopover on our way from FL to MD. Our tour guide was entertaining and gave us a lot of great information. We saw some great old places, but from outside the gates. Not much chance of getting any good images. That part was disappointing, but maybe we had unreasonable expectations. Like I said, it was very entertaining and not a waste of our time!
Spooky Ghost and Dungeon Tour was Scary Fun!
|Ginstarr||Sat, Dec 27, 14 7:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
My friend and I had the pleasure of doing the Ghost and Dungeon tour last Saturday night (Dave was the tour guide). It was so much fun! We loved the stories, descriptions and atmosphere of the tour. We saw a different angle of Charleston history and met cool people too. I highly recommend this tour!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advanced purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out well in advance. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance.
- What if it rains?
- Tours will go on rain or shine. If there is a hurricane in Charleston at the time of the tour, there is no need to show up. We will be busy boarding up windows or throwing a Hurricane Party. (Seriously though, we run in every kind of weather.)
- Are restrooms available?
- Unfortunately, there are no designated restroom stops along the tour route.
- Are cameras & video recorders allowed on the tours?
- YES!! In fact, we highly recommend taking pictures during the tour. We often get pictures of some eerie stuff from our guests – especially from The Dungeon (Charleston Ghost & Dungeon Tour) and the Jail (Haunted Jail Tour)!! We would appreciate you sending anything out of the ordinary to us. You can e-mail us any photos.
- Is there an age limit for the tour? Do I have to purchase a ticket for my young child?
- You know your children better than we do, so there is no official age limit for the tour. For children ages 7 to 12, you should purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Children ages 6 years and under may attend for free, but you’ll still need to enter the appropriate number of Wee One tickets labeled “Free” when purchasing. All guests, regardless of age, must have a ticket, so please make sure your entire party is accounted for in this way.
- What is the difference between your tours? Are they appropriate for children?
- Each tour goes to a unique location. The Charleston Ghost and Dungeon Tour and The Charleston Ghost & Graveyard Tour are family oriented but if your child screams the entire trip, we do ask you keep that child at least 100 feet from the other guests. And if your child freaks out from hearing ghost stories, it is probably your fault, not ours. The Haunted Jail Tour may be too scary for young children or easily frightened adults. The Darkside of Charleston tour is rated R and not suitable for children because it contains adult content.
- Are we gonna see a ghost on the any of the tours?
- Maybe. However, there is a minimal charge of $3 per person if we see a ghost. That is, if you stick around to actually PAY the $3!!
- Why is The Dark Side of Charleston Rated R?
- The Darkside of Charleston is an adult history tour. Topics include brothels, scandals, murder, crime, bootlegging, and prostitution. It is only suitable for people who are at least 17 years old, even if your child has watched an obscene amount of cable TV!
- What about ghosts in the Old City Jail?
- Let's just say that if you get scared easily, do not take The Haunted Jail Tour!! The Jail is not quite as scary if it is light outside. Perhaps the 7pm depending on the time of the year.
- Where does the tour end?
- All tours end in the vicinity of the meeting location in Charleston’s Historic Market District.
- How much walking is involved?
- This tour lasts approximately 1.5 hours and covers about 3/4 mile. There are frequent stops along the way and the tour is far from strenuous unless you are grotesquely out of shape, in which case, the walk did you some good. Your doctor and our boss thank you for taking the tour.
- Can I buy food or drinks along the way? What about souvenirs?
- Unfortunately, because of time constraints, we make only scheduled stops. You may want to bring a bottle of water as it can get fairly warm in Charleston.
- Are these tours only for tourists?
- Of course not. All Bulldog Tours are chock full of facts and stories even the oldest Charlestonian couldn't tell you. Tourists and locals alike all learn things about Charleston they didn't know before and have a great time in the process.
- Are there other ghost tours that go into the Dungeon?
- No, The Charleston Ghost & Dungeon Tour is the ONLY tour in town that goes into the Dungeon! Many other tours will walk you by the Dungeon, but we are the only tour that can take you inside.
- Is the tour wheelchair- and/or stroller-accessible?
- Using a wheelchair or a stroller can be very difficult in Charleston due to 300 year-old cobblestone and slate streets. Also, navigating the graveyards and the uneven dungeon floor can be challenging.
- Are there any discounts available?
- Customers booking through Zerve will automatically receive a $2 per adult ticket website discount on all adult tickets. This will effectively cancel out the $2 ticket fee charged by Zerve for advanced tickets. Additionally, an extra $1 per adult ticket will automatically be taken off for purchases including 8 or more adult tickets. No further discounts will be applied upon check-in.
- Do we guarantee the tours?
- Yes, if you are not 100% satisfied with the tour, your money will be refunded.
- I have a group of more than 20 people. Will we all be able to attend the tour together?
- Unfortunately, Charleston law prohibits us from leading walking tour groups larger than 20 participants. If your group exceeds 20 people, please keep in mind that we will have to split you into smaller groups in accordance with the law.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. But you don’t need to understand every word out of the tour guide’s mouth to see the historic and supernatural sights.
- Can I arrange for a private event?
- Yes! A private Bulldog tour can make any occasion more memorable. Please click “Contact Bulldog” to the left of the page to find out more. Advanced notice is required.
- Can I buy a gift certificate?
- Bulldog Tours does offer gift certificates. To purchase or find out more information, please click “Contact Bulldog”.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Online Coupon
- Customers booking through Zerve will automatically receive a $2 per adult ticket website discount on all adult tickets. This will effectively cancel out the $2 ticket fee charged by Zerve for advanced tickets. No further discounts will be applied upon check-in. Please proceed to the next page for a breakdown of your total charges.
Conserving America's rich history and landmarks is one of Bulldog Tours' most important commitments. A portion of everyone's admission is donated to the preservation of the Old Exchange Building and the Provost Dungeon in Charleston.