This 2 1/2 hour tour will immerse you in the history and culture of the Lowcountry. You will discover how our unique cuisine has evolved over the past 300+ years while sampling delicious specialties from local eateries, markets, bakeries, restaurants, and culinary landmarks.
Book now for Savor the Flavors Combo Package/ The Charleston Stroll and save $10 off your entrire purchase!
Typical tastings include:
* Stone Ground Grits
* Charleston Benne Wafers
* Fried Green Tomatoes
* Southern Pralines
* Sweet Tea
* Collard Greens
* Lowcountry Barbeque
Special! Combine this tour with a Charleston Dessert Tour and get $20 off regular price! Tours run on Saturdays, book now for the best pricing!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|jkrtwilson||Tue, May 17 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This was one of out favorite tours as a family. Our college son and our son with special needs ranked it among the best. We enjoyed learning the history behind some of the Southern cuisine, and of course, tasting a wide variety of food. Our tour guide was very hospitable and knowledgeable. I highly recommend this tour!
|cheljanell||Sat, May 14 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Other|
I've been to Charleston and this by far was the best thing I have done. The food was great and the tour guide was very friendly and knowledgeable! The first stop was the best! They increased the food portions so you'll definitely be full by the end of the tour. I love that you can also do some downtown shopping afterwards since the tour ends in downtown.
Charleston Food Tour.
|tmitchell8||Thu, May 12 9:30 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Great experience. The food was great and much more than enough to cover s complete meal. We actually had our praline later that evening on the beach.
Savor the Flavor Tour
|lasavoy||Fri, May 6 10:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
David was great as our guide providing the small group with an overall view of everything Charleston.
Saver the Flavors
|chenjamesy||Mon, May 2 2:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had grits, sweets, cabbages, and BBQ pull pork. We wondered if these belong to the Charleston flavors. It seems we had overpaid.
Bulldog Tours responded:
I'm very sorry to hear this. Yes, the samples we give you are definitely southern cuisine and a good example of what Charleston flavors have to offer. I'm very sorry you didn't enjoy the tour. I'm also sorry you felt you overpaid. Please contact us so that we can find out more information.
Great Food Tour
|tatcarla||Sat, Apr 30 9:30 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
The Savor the Flavors Tour was an outstanding tour. We visited 6 business and was welcomed at all six by the employees. Tour guide was very informative and was very interesting. We were not expecting the large portions of food that we will given and by the end of the tour were stuffed.
|annpeebles||Thu, Apr 28 9:30 AM||Female||70+||Local||Group of Friends|
Our guide was knowledgeable and personable! Great person to lead this tour because he knew how to cook. A native, he had just the right amount of local "color" and stories. I will definitely bring guests back again.
|ckeltonny||Mon, Apr 25 9:30 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This was the first time we ever participated in a culinary tour and will now add this activity to every city we visit. Our guide was wonderful. She introduced us to low country cuisine while entertaining us with background and history. We couldn't believe the amount of food provided at three different restaurants.
|Jaimetran||Mon, Apr 25 9:30 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Our guide clearly enjoyed what she was doing and did a great job offering historical information. I was a little disappointed at the locations we visited. Since there are so many seafood specialties in the Charleston area, it was a let down that we didn't get to try any. It was discussed a lot on the tour, but no opportunity to try. Also, one of our stops was a kitchen goods store and we were offered pre packaged snacks. This was definitely the least favorable of the 5 stops we made. It did not show us "Charleston", just seemed an attempt to get us to purchase cooking utensils.
|bmistelske||Sat, Apr 23 2:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We enjoyed the history and the different food choices.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- How does the Savor the Flavors/ The Charleston Stroll Combo Tour Package work?
- When you purchase the combo tour package, your space will be guaranteed on the Savor the Flavors tour for the date and time for which you buy tickets. To book your space on The Charleston Stroll, please contact Bulldog directly. Exact instructions on completing your booking will be provided upon purchase of your combo package. Please note that booking on the Savor the Flavors tour and The Charleston Stroll is subject to availability.
- How does the Dessert Tour option work?
- You can combine any tour with our special Dessert Tour for only $40 more, a savings of $20 off regular price! Be sure to select the Dessert Tour extra when you purchase, then call 843-722-8687 to confirm your date and time.
- How much food is served on the tour? What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour includes four to five stops where tastings are offered, but they are not enough to serve as a full meal. Typical tastings include Stone Ground Grits, Benne Wafers, Sweet Tea, pastries, chocolate, Southern Pralines, Collard Greens, and Lowcountry Barbeque.
- How many stops are included on the tour?
- The tour includes four to five stops.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- For the culinary tours, there is only one standard ticket price. Any child 1 year old or above must have a full-priced ticket purchased for them in order to attend. The tour is not recommended for children under 12, but you can bring any children with you, at your discretion, as long as they have a ticket! Infants less than one year old do not need a paid ticket, and you should please just indicate that you’ll be bringing an non-paying infant with you at the time of purchase.
- Will I need to buy lunch after the tour?
- Although we provide a variety of samples for you to try, please keep in mind that this tour will only include a few tastings. You will still want to buy lunch after the tour, as the tour usually does not include enough food for most people to serve as a meal.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Yes! All participants are provided with a bottle of water.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- The tour covers approximately 1 mile. We walk at a very casual pace
- Where does the tour end?
- The tours end about 10 blocks from the original starting point, downtown near Market Street.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- The tour includes a variety of foods at the different locations, so you can choose which foods you are able to sample. Please indicate any allergies or dietary restrictions you have when you are purchasing tickets, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate you.
- What happens if it rains?
- Tours run rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions, so be prepared for the day! We will be stepping inside of buildings during some portions of the tour, but be sure to bring an umbrella or poncho, depending on the forecasted weather conditions.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- Yes. There are bathrooms available at several locations throughout the tour.
- Is the tour wheelchair- and/or stroller-accessible?
- We have had participants with wheelchairs attend the tour in the past. Please keep in mind however, that many of the streets are not very accessible and some places have stairs, so additional maneuvering and planning may be required. You are welcome to bring strollers and they may be left outside the establishments we visit with stairs.
- Who will be leading the tour?
- All of our tour guides a licensed by the City of Charleston and have various culinary qualifications and interests.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, tours are only offered in English. However, our non-English speaking guests always enjoy the experience of visiting Charleston's lovely historic buildings and sampling delicious food tastings along the way.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various shops and historical buildings we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, we can accommodate a variety of special requests! Please click “Contact Bulldog” to the left of the page to inquire further.
- Are gift certificates available for this tour?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Culinary Tours of Charleston are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click “Contact Bulldog”.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- The Charleston Stroll portion of your Combo must be booked separately.
- Guests must call Bulldog directly after purchasing Combo tickets to secure their space on The Charleston Stroll. This purchase is guaranteeing your space on the Savor the Flavors Tour for the date and time of your choosing, however, the date and time you may book The Charleston Stroll is subject to availability. Instructions on how to secure your space on The Charleston Stroll will be provided to you after purchase.
More than just the usual Charleston tours, we offer a variety of tours during the day, evening and late-night. Whether it is strolling down the streets, hearing about people from days past in the morning during our Charleston Stroll or taking you on an EXCLUSIVE behind-the-scenes look at the Holy City's graveyards, back alleyways, Provost Dungeon, Old City Jail and deep into Charleston's Haunted Historic District. We now proudly offer the Culinary Tours of Charleston, giving people even more of a look into the unique chemistry that makes up Charleston. Our exclusive food tours highlight our mission to promote South Carolina local artisan growers, and to help preserve South Carolina's rich culinary heritage.
Bulldog Tours is the ONLY walking tour company in Charleston that can take you off and beyond the sidewalks!!!
As seen in USA Today, Southern Living Magazine, The New York Times, and on Country Music Television, Bon Appetit, The Columbus Dispatch, National Public Radio (NPR). , and SCETV, Bulldog's fully licensed, experienced tour guides are sure to entertain, inform, intrigue and delight all those who choose to take a stroll into the city's past.