This 2 1/2 hour tour will immerse you in the history and culture of the Lowcountry. You will discover how our unique cuisine has evolved over the past 300+ years while sampling delicious specialties from local eateries, markets, bakeries, restaurants, and culinary landmarks.
Book now for Savor the Flavors Combo Package/ The Charleston Stroll and save $10 off your entrire purchase!
Typical tastings include:
* Stone Ground Grits
* Charleston Benne Wafers
* Locally made gourmet chocolates
* Southern Pralines
* Sweet Tea
* Collard Greens
* Lowcountry Barbeque
Special! Combine this tour with a Charleston Dessert Tour and get $20 off regular price! Tours run on Saturdays, book now for the best pricing!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Definitely worth setting a morning aside!
|libbykole||Sat, Oct 10 9:30 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We have been to Charleston many times, but this is the first culinary tour we have taken and are so glad we did! Our guide Fran, a Charlestonian, gave us the history of the foods we were eating as well as some inside tips into how she cooks for her own family. We were so full by the end of the tour that there was no need for lunch! We highly recommend this tour for someone who likes a little history with their cuisine.
Guide was knowledgeable about local cuisine.
|LynneWoulfe||Sat, Sep 26 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
I was impressed with the Guide's knowledge about food and its origin. However I did not appreciate that some tastings were from chain restaurants.
Fun intro to Charleston
|jvess713||Sat, Sep 19 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This was my first visit to Charleston and the tour was a nice introduction to the food and city. The guide did a nice job of providing the history of low country cuisine. We tasted small samples of classic dishes e.g. Sweet tea, grits etc. and most people on the tour were full by the end. It was a fun way to spend an afternoon!
|jomoma77||Fri, Sep 18 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Guide without exciting personality. Saw another guide on tour and wished we could have joined her!
We thoroughly enjoyed the food tour of Charleston
|JacqiWard||Wed, Sep 16 9:30 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Cathy, our tour guide, gave us just enough information, without going overboard, so that we could appreciate each of the foods we sampled and why it was important to Charleston's food history. Each of the "tastes" was plentiful and delicious! We took a morning tour and were too full to eat lunch. We've been on food tours in Asheville NC, Montreal and Old Quebec City, this Charleston tour was THE BEST!
|kpierson5811||Mon, Sep 14 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Was a great way to check out several restaurants for coming back!! The tasting variety was really great and out guide was informative and really fun.
the most fantastic tour ever
|Anne2647||Sat, Sep 12 2:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
our tour guide was awesome learned so much more than we thought , great food and experience highly recommend this tour
would recommend for a good sample of Charleston fd
|johnsconnoll||Tue, Sep 8 2:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Very good tour of Charleston cuisine and history.
|NancyCocci||Wed, Aug 26 2:00 PM||Unspecified||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Great tour! The amount of food and the variety was perfect. Very kind and knowledgable guide!!
|Tigertwins||Sat, Aug 22 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
We had such a wonderful time! Would love to see additional food tour options. We will be back with the family!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- How does the Savor the Flavors/ The Charleston Stroll Combo Tour Package work?
- When you purchase the combo tour package, your space will be guaranteed on the Savor the Flavors tour for the date and time for which you buy tickets. To book your space on The Charleston Stroll, please contact Bulldog directly. Exact instructions on completing your booking will be provided upon purchase of your combo package. Please note that booking on the Savor the Flavors tour and The Charleston Stroll is subject to availability.
- How does the Dessert Tour option work?
- You can combine any tour with our special Dessert Tour for only $40 more, a savings of $20 off regular price! Be sure to select the Dessert Tour extra when you purchase, then call 843-722-8687 to confirm your date and time.
- How much food is served on the tour? What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour includes four to five stops where tastings are offered, but they are not enough to serve as a full meal. Typical tastings include Stone Ground Grits, Benne Wafers, Sweet Tea, pastries, chocolate, Southern Pralines, Collard Greens, and Lowcountry Barbeque.
- How many stops are included on the tour?
- The tour includes four to five stops.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- For the culinary tours, there is only one standard ticket price. Any child 1 year old or above must have a full-priced ticket purchased for them in order to attend. The tour is not recommended for children under 12, but you can bring any children with you, at your discretion, as long as they have a ticket! Infants less than one year old do not need a paid ticket, and you should please just indicate that you’ll be bringing an non-paying infant with you at the time of purchase.
- Will I need to buy lunch after the tour?
- Although we provide a variety of samples for you to try, please keep in mind that this tour will only include a few tastings. You will still want to buy lunch after the tour, as the tour usually does not include enough food for most people to serve as a meal.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Yes! All participants are provided with a bottle of water.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- The tour covers approximately 1 mile. We walk at a very casual pace
- Where does the tour end?
- The tours end about 10 blocks from the original starting point, downtown near Market Street.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- The tour includes a variety of foods at the different locations, so you can choose which foods you are able to sample. Please indicate any allergies or dietary restrictions you have when you are purchasing tickets, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate you.
- What happens if it rains?
- Tours run rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions, so be prepared for the day! We will be stepping inside of buildings during some portions of the tour, but be sure to bring an umbrella or poncho, depending on the forecasted weather conditions.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- Yes. There are bathrooms available at several locations throughout the tour.
- Is the tour wheelchair- and/or stroller-accessible?
- We have had participants with wheelchairs attend the tour in the past. Please keep in mind however, that many of the streets are not very accessible and some places have stairs, so additional maneuvering and planning may be required. You are welcome to bring strollers and they may be left outside the establishments we visit with stairs.
- Who will be leading the tour?
- All of our tour guides a licensed by the City of Charleston and have various culinary qualifications and interests.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, tours are only offered in English. However, our non-English speaking guests always enjoy the experience of visiting Charleston's lovely historic buildings and sampling delicious food tastings along the way.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various shops and historical buildings we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, we can accommodate a variety of special requests! Please click “Contact Bulldog” to the left of the page to inquire further.
- Are gift certificates available for this tour?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Culinary Tours of Charleston are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click “Contact Bulldog”.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- The Charleston Stroll portion of your Combo must be booked separately.
- Guests must call Bulldog directly after purchasing Combo tickets to secure their space on The Charleston Stroll. This purchase is guaranteeing your space on the Savor the Flavors Tour for the date and time of your choosing, however, the date and time you may book The Charleston Stroll is subject to availability. Instructions on how to secure your space on The Charleston Stroll will be provided to you after purchase.
More than just the usual Charleston tours, we offer a variety of tours during the day, evening and late-night. Whether it is strolling down the streets, hearing about people from days past in the morning during our Charleston Stroll or taking you on an EXCLUSIVE behind-the-scenes look at the Holy City's graveyards, back alleyways, Provost Dungeon, Old City Jail and deep into Charleston's Haunted Historic District. We now proudly offer the Culinary Tours of Charleston, giving people even more of a look into the unique chemistry that makes up Charleston. Our exclusive food tours highlight our mission to promote South Carolina local artisan growers, and to help preserve South Carolina's rich culinary heritage.
Bulldog Tours is the ONLY walking tour company in Charleston that can take you off and beyond the sidewalks!!!
As seen in USA Today, Southern Living Magazine, The New York Times, and on Country Music Television, Bon Appetit, The Columbus Dispatch, National Public Radio (NPR). , and SCETV, Bulldog's fully licensed, experienced tour guides are sure to entertain, inform, intrigue and delight all those who choose to take a stroll into the city's past.