This 2 1/2 hour tour will immerse you in the history and culture of the Lowcountry. You will discover how our unique cuisine has evolved over the past 300+ years while sampling delicious specialties from local eateries, markets, bakeries, restaurants, and culinary landmarks.
Book now for Savor the Flavors Combo Package/ The Charleston Stroll and save $10 off your entrire purchase!
Typical tastings include:
* Stone Ground Grits
* Charleston Benne Wafers
* Locally made gourmet chocolates
* Southern Pralines
* Sweet Tea
* Collard Greens
* Lowcountry Barbeque
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|NancyCocci||Wed, Aug 26 2:00 PM||Unspecified||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Great tour! The amount of food and the variety was perfect. Very kind and knowledgable guide!!
|Tigertwins||Sat, Aug 22 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
We had such a wonderful time! Would love to see additional food tour options. We will be back with the family!
Good but can be more authentic
|Shuprotim||Sat, Aug 22 9:30 AM||Unspecified||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Recommend that you get more unique Charleston places on the tour. We went to a kitchen supply store, that is basically a downmarket version of Williams Sonoma that can be found in any regional mall. Then we spent time at a tea and spice store that has multiple locations on the eastern seaboard. I suggest you replace these with locations that are authentic to the Charleston
An educational tour for the senses
|Kenmeto||Wed, Aug 19 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This was a tour that I will talk about when I return home. It inspired me to explore more of the low country cuisine, history and culture.
Highlight of our trip
|CarolJWall||Thu, Aug 6 2:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Five adult members of my family took the Savor the Flavors tour in Charleston and we were very impressed with the knowledge of our tour guide and the quality of the food we tasted. Everything was delicious and even the rain we experienced did not dampen our spirits as we traveled from place to place. We would all highly recommend this tour to any and all foodies!
|jsill1717||Thu, Aug 6 9:30 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Our guide Sara was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about Charleston and its foods. She gave us a picture of what it was like back in the early times and how food played a part in our history. We would highly recommend this walking and tasting tour.
Flavors tours of downtown Charleston
|Rupertc||Tue, Aug 4 2:00 PM||Male||40-49||Combination||Family With Children|
My group of 4 adults and 2 children thoroughly enjoyed David's knowledgeable flavors tour of downtown Charleston on the 4 August 2016. Several different type of southern food were tried for the first time including grits, bbq, cornbread, crab, candy and sweet tea . In between the food establishments David the tour guide gave an interesting talk about the historic sites and history of downtown Charleston. By the end of the tour non of the party were hungry after eating substantially!!I highly recommend the tour to almost anyone.
|barbaraorr||Tue, Aug 4 9:30 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
A unique and special review of the origins of certain southern foods with samples and store and restaurant visits.
|Loishinshaw||Tue, Jul 28 2:00 PM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Sarah was a great guide for the Savor the Flavor tour. She customized the foods we eat everyday and told us about the history of them. She gave us great tips as we moved from restaurant to restaurant as well as the history of the restaurant. We experienced many flavors as well as the sights of Charleston! We're happy we chose this tour. Our grandson enjoyed it as much as we did. We will do this again !!!!
Awesome! Fabulous! Great fun!
|jfuemmeler||Thu, Jul 23 9:30 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
My brother and I both had a terrific time. Cathy was a real joy as our guide. The food was wonderful at every stop. If I am fortunate enough to travel to Charleston again, I will definitely try to go on another culinary tour. Thanks for an unforgettable event!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- How does the Savor the Flavors/ The Charleston Stroll Combo Tour Package work?
- When you purchase the combo tour package, your space will be guaranteed on the Savor the Flavors tour for the date and time for which you buy tickets. To book your space on The Charleston Stroll, please contact Bulldog directly. Exact instructions on completing your booking will be provided upon purchase of your combo package. Please note that booking on the Savor the Flavors tour and The Charleston Stroll is subject to availability.
- How much food is served on the tour? What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour includes four to five stops where tastings are offered, but they are not enough to serve as a full meal. Typical tastings include Stone Ground Grits, Benne Wafers, Sweet Tea, pastries, chocolate, Southern Pralines, Collard Greens, and Lowcountry Barbeque.
- How many stops are included on the tour?
- The tour includes four to five stops.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- For the culinary tours, there is only one standard ticket price. Any child 1 year old or above must have a full-priced ticket purchased for them in order to attend. The tour is not recommended for children under 12, but you can bring any children with you, at your discretion, as long as they have a ticket! Infants less than one year old do not need a paid ticket, and you should please just indicate that you’ll be bringing an non-paying infant with you at the time of purchase.
- Will I need to buy lunch after the tour?
- Although we provide a variety of samples for you to try, please keep in mind that this tour will only include a few tastings. You will still want to buy lunch after the tour, as the tour usually does not include enough food for most people to serve as a meal.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Yes! All participants are provided with a bottle of water.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- The tour covers approximately 1 mile. We walk at a very casual pace
- Where does the tour end?
- The tours end about 10 blocks from the original starting point, downtown near Market Street.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- The tour includes a variety of foods at the different locations, so you can choose which foods you are able to sample. Please indicate any allergies or dietary restrictions you have when you are purchasing tickets, but we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate you.
- What happens if it rains?
- Tours run rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions, so be prepared for the day! We will be stepping inside of buildings during some portions of the tour, but be sure to bring an umbrella or poncho, depending on the forecasted weather conditions.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- Yes. There are bathrooms available at several locations throughout the tour.
- Is the tour wheelchair- and/or stroller-accessible?
- We have had participants with wheelchairs attend the tour in the past. Please keep in mind however, that many of the streets are not very accessible and some places have stairs, so additional maneuvering and planning may be required. You are welcome to bring strollers and they may be left outside the establishments we visit with stairs.
- Who will be leading the tour?
- All of our tour guides a licensed by the City of Charleston and have various culinary qualifications and interests.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, tours are only offered in English. However, our non-English speaking guests always enjoy the experience of visiting Charleston's lovely historic buildings and sampling delicious food tastings along the way.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various shops and historical buildings we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, we can accommodate a variety of special requests! Please click “Contact Bulldog” to the left of the page to inquire further.
- Are gift certificates available for this tour?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Culinary Tours of Charleston are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click “Contact Bulldog”.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- The Charleston Stroll portion of your Combo must be booked separately.
- Guests must call Bulldog directly after purchasing Combo tickets to secure their space on The Charleston Stroll. This purchase is guaranteeing your space on the Savor the Flavors Tour for the date and time of your choosing, however, the date and time you may book The Charleston Stroll is subject to availability. Instructions on how to secure your space on The Charleston Stroll will be provided to you after purchase.
More than just the usual Charleston tours, we offer a variety of tours during the day, evening and late-night. Whether it is strolling down the streets, hearing about people from days past in the morning during our Charleston Stroll or taking you on an EXCLUSIVE behind-the-scenes look at the Holy City's graveyards, back alleyways, Provost Dungeon, Old City Jail and deep into Charleston's Haunted Historic District. We now proudly offer the Culinary Tours of Charleston, giving people even more of a look into the unique chemistry that makes up Charleston. Our exclusive food tours highlight our mission to promote South Carolina local artisan growers, and to help preserve South Carolina's rich culinary heritage.
Bulldog Tours is the ONLY walking tour company in Charleston that can take you off and beyond the sidewalks!!!
As seen in USA Today, Southern Living Magazine, The New York Times, and on Country Music Television, Bon Appetit, The Columbus Dispatch, National Public Radio (NPR). , and SCETV, Bulldog's fully licensed, experienced tour guides are sure to entertain, inform, intrigue and delight all those who choose to take a stroll into the city's past.