"We hold the 18th ammendment to be Unconstitutional"
We'll educate you not only about Prohibition and it's consequence in Chicago, but also how Prohibition affected the nation as a whole. You'll learn what led to the 18th amendment's ratification into the constitution, enforcement under the Volstead Act, and ultimately its repeal. The history of Prohibition is rich. From fathering the "Jazz Age", to influencing a sexual revolution to the famous/notorious characters that lived it, you'll hear the stories on a 3.5 - hour speakeasy crawl.
“A Sip Of History on our bus driven tour will be unlike any other Chicago experience. It will be fun, educational, and thought provoking.”
Jonathan Porter, owner
Each former speakeasy we visit will have a different feel to it. Stops include:
- A downtown tavern built in 1872
- A lounge in Wicker Park
- A neighborhood bar in Old Town
- A restaurant in the downtown Loop.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages - Your ticket provides you the opportunity to take a tour, but you are on your own for whatever libations you'd like to indulge in.
- Commemorative photos - please be sure to bring your cameras and take lots of pictures. If you email them to us, we'll load them to our gallery!
- Parking at the starting location - We recommend public transportation. If you have to drive, please plan your route and parking.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Kinda like a thinking man's pub crawl
|GarryPirie||Sun, May 1 4:00 PM||Unspecified||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our tour guide was the lovely Sydney who imparted a heap of information in a very entertaining way. If I was allowed to wander off to the bar during my school years I might have finished with a diploma.
If you have any interest in the prohibition period then I highly recommend this tour. If not, take the tour anyway because you get to visit 4 great pubs.
Chicago Prohibition Tour
|KellyFam||Sat, Apr 30 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Had a great time on this tour, Sydney, our tour guide was very knowledgeable, thorough and a lot of fun! We had lots of laughs. Met some great people on our tour. Would highly recommend this to anyone!
Awesome tour of local speakeasies in Chicago
|AlyssaTC_PhD||Sun, Apr 24 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
We had a great time learning about local history in the context of the national implementation of Prohibition. Our tour guide (Sydney) was very knowledgable and a lot of fun. With drinking, there will always be more obnoxious fellow tour mates than others. But despite those individuals, we had a great time and would definitely recommend to others.
|sarikapatel||Sat, Apr 23 4:00 PM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our tour guide was hilarious and made the experience fun and educational!
Incredible all around
|gshadwick||Fri, Apr 22 4:00 PM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Jonathan is the man. He really knows his stuff, provides you with easy to follow history and information, and you can really tell he enjoys what he does. The stops we made were a blast, and really good drinks all around.
Informative and engaging
|Lukeconrad||Sun, Apr 17 4:00 PM||Male||20-29||Combination||Group of Friends|
Had a lot of fun on this trip with 4 other friends. This tour paints a very vivid picture regarding the origins, history, and violence surrounding the 13 years of the prohibition
Great information for history seekers
|spdriv1||Sun, Apr 17 4:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
A lot of information about the prohibition in Chicago. Friendly guide and some interesting bar stops. Drinking is part of the tour so just for adults.
guide loves her history!
|Monicamsteph||Sun, Apr 10 4:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
Sydney was very enthusiastic about the material and it was catching. Really enjoyed the locations and the food and drink.
|pgsunsplash||Sun, Apr 10 4:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The prohibition tour was a perfect combination of history, great food, and good fun. I went on this tour with 7 of my friends and it was a great way to get a bunch of people with varying interests together. Our tour guide, Sydney, was very knowledgable and enthusiastic. She made sure everyone had a great time and kept things rolling. The location were fantastic. I HIGHLY recommend eating at Lucky's on this tour. It was some of the BEST Italian food I have had in years. And I am Italian!
|Bernadette66||Sun, Apr 10 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Great way to spend an afternoon in Chicago. Information was presented in a relaxed, engaging way to learn the history of prohibition.
- Do I need proof of age?
- Absolutely, Chicago is very strict about checking identification for people consuming alcoholic beverages. The minimum age for this event is 21 years old.
- Will beverages and food be provided?
- You are responsible for all beverages and food on this tour. Please bring cash or a credit card! We will have recommendations for you to order with the bartenders.
- How many speakeasies do we visit?
- The tour features 4 speakeasies.
- Can children come?
- No, this is a 21 and over tour and IDs will be checked by every speakeasy.
- What if I’m late?
- You might miss the tour! We leave right on time, and to be fair to the whole group, we cannot wait for late arrivals. If you are not familiar with the meeting location area, please make sure to leave plenty of time to find it. Refunds cannot be provided.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour is approximately 3.5 hours.
- What if the weather is bad?
- Weather won't stop our tour, it goes on rain or shine! You'll be comfortable on our bus year round!
- Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour starts at the Green Door Tavern in River North and ends about 1.5 miles away at Exchequer Restaurant in the loop. Transportation back the starting point will not be provided. Further directions will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What should I bring?
- We recommend bringing a camera, and cash to pay the bartenders for any drinks you would like while on the tour. There will also be opportunities to purchase food, so please bring extra cash or a credit card for that. Lastly, please remember to bring your valid, government-issued ID.
- How did you select the locations?
- Just trust me on this one ;-)
- Who is this tour appropriate for?
- Anyone over the age of 21 who enjoys cocktails and Prohibition history.
- What if I need to use the restroom?
- You may use the restroom at any of the speakeasies.
- How large is a tour group?
- Tours take out a maximum of 20 people.
- Can I leave my belongings on the bus?
- The bus driver will stay on board the bus while we are visiting different speakeasies, but we ask that you please do not leave any valuables on the bus.
- May I tip?
- Tour guides, bartenders, and drivers welcome tips at your discretion.
- Is parking available?
- We do not offer parking, please check for street parking but remember to read signs for any restrictions.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Private Tours are available, please email your request in. Weekends are typically booked solid with regular tours.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over with valid ID.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID. Each establishment will be asking for ID from tour participants, and refunds will not be provided for those under age 21 or without sufficient ID.
Chicago Pizza Tours
During the winter season of the pizza tour, Jonathan & Jonathan spent enormous amounts of time researching and cross referencing information to piece together the story of prohibition in the U.S. with a focus on Chicago. "We were floored at the reception we received from current establishments that operated as speakeasies during the period." Wanting to tell their story as a way to showcase people's Chicago experience was a natural fit.
After months of planning and replanning, the very first version of the Original Chicago Prohibition Tour was developed and ready to showcase. Our patrons could see Chicago the way it operated nearly one hundred years ago in a time when the Wets and the Drys fought for control of the United States.