"We hold the 18th ammendment to be Unconstitutional"
We'll educate you not only about Prohibition and it's consequence in Chicago, but also how Prohibition affected the nation as a whole. You'll learn what led to the 18th amendment's ratification into the constitution, enforcement under the Volstead Act, and ultimately its repeal. The history of Prohibition is rich. From fathering the "Jazz Age", to influencing a sexual revolution to the famous/notorious characters that lived it, you'll hear the stories on a 3.5 - hour speakeasy crawl.
“A Sip Of History on our bus driven tour will be unlike any other Chicago experience. It will be fun, educational, and thought provoking.”
Jonathan Porter, owner
Each former speakeasy we visit will have a different feel to it. Stops include:
- A downtown tavern built in 1872
- A lounge in Wicker Park
- A neighborhood bar in Old Town
- A restaurant in the downtown Loop.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages - Your ticket provides you the opportunity to take a tour, but you are on your own for whatever libations you'd like to indulge in.
- Commemorative photos - please be sure to bring your cameras and take lots of pictures. If you email them to us, we'll load them to our gallery!
- Parking at the starting location - We recommend public transportation. If you have to drive, please plan your route and parking.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Reginatrillo||Sun, Aug 2 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
Most interesting tour I've taken in Chicago. The guide is very knowledgable and funny.
|msmgee28||Fri, Jul 31 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
My husband, myself and another couple went on this tour together. The background research done was very good. Our guide, Sidney (Sydney??), was excellent!! She knew her stuff, was funny, let you know when you would be leaving, say 10 minutes, so you could settle your bill. It was fun trying new drinks and seeing the establishments. Our favorite speakeasy was Green Door Tavern for the atmosphere. Our favorite drinks were at Lucky's. It was a great experience. We had a really good time and would highly recommend this tour!
Drunks ruined the last part of the tour
|TGreenwald||Sat, Jul 25 4:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
The woman who was the guide was excellent. She obviously had a great deal of knowledge about the overall history of the era, as well as the history of each of the destinations, which was the reason for getting my 8 family members together for the tour. She was also very approachable regarding questions, and clearly enjoyed her job. The problem was that about 6 or 7 of the 19 passengers were so loud and obnoxious during the last part of the trip, that we could no longer hear the guide. She was clearly frustrated as well, yet remained professional throughout. Unless the Chicago Pizza Tours makes it clear from the beginning, including in their tour descriptions, that such behavior by their customers will not be tolerated, I cannot and do not recommend this tour. Now, I'm not someone who minds some quick retorts, and even some silly comments, but this went way too far. The tour had a great deal of potential, especially if you like history, but they made no effort to control their customers. If you want to have fun learning about the Prohibition, and pre-Prohibition history, along with checking out the "Speaks" and cocktails of the day, look elsewhere. If you want to get loaded and be driven from bar to bar to facilitate that, then this is the tour for you, although there are probably cheaper ways to accomplish that.
Good guide buzzkill bus
|CKreil||Fri, Jul 24 4:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
The tour guide was knowledgeable and fun. I learned a lot from her. I thought it was a fun experience to try but I'm not sure if do it again. The bars were ready to serve us which was good. But we had no time to drink. And getting back on the bus was a buzzkill. I recommend the bus fixes its air conditioning, takes us back to the starting location, and serve beer and water on the bus. I think a cooler of beer and water isn't too much to ask.
|toombs09||Sat, Jul 18 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
I thoroughly enjoyed this tour! I learned so much information about Prohibition; so much I had no clue about. My favorite spot was our first stop at the Green Door because the original speak-easy is still in tact, how exciting!!!!
|insightsurf2||Fri, Jul 17 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
John and johnathon were awesome. The tour is very well done and full of ACCURATE information. Highly recommend
Fantastic idea for a "stay-cation"!
|almensing||Fri, Jul 17 4:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Local||Family Without Children|
We were not able to get out of town this year for a vacation so we took advantage of the sights and sounds of the beautiful city of Chicago. We thoroughly enjoyed the Prohibition tour and learned quite a lot about local history as well as the national events leading up to this period. Our driver, Jonathan, and owner, John, were informative as well as entertaining. We will definitely recommend this tour to our friends!
Best Tour We Took in Chicago
|Jessibabe20||Fri, Jul 10 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Sydney was an amazing tour guide with a wealth of information about prohibition as well as Chicago history. Every stop along the tour was great! Couldn't have asked for a better 3.5 hour experience!
|Kmussar27||Sun, Jul 5 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
Our guides had lots of interesting knowledge about the prohibition era and the sites we visited. All the sites were fun and had great drinks. My favorite was the white peach sangria from Club Lucky.
Great! Very educational
|greg_s||Sun, Jul 5 4:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
Sydney was great. She told us about parts of prohibition history not normally mentioned. She did a good job covering a lot of bases and not just the gangsters.
- Do I need proof of age?
- Absolutely, Chicago is very strict about checking identification for people consuming alcoholic beverages. The minimum age for this event is 21 years old.
- Will beverages and food be provided?
- You are responsible for all beverages and food on this tour. Please bring some extra cash or a credit card! We will have recommendations for you to order with the bartenders.
- How many speakeasies do we visit?
- The tour features 4 speakeasies.
- Can children come?
- No, this is a 21 and over tour and IDs will be checked by every speakeasy.
- What if I’m late?
- You might miss the tour! We leave right on time, and to be fair to the whole group, we cannot wait for late arrivals. If you are not familiar with the meeting location area, please make sure to leave plenty of time to find it. Refunds cannot be provided.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour is approximately 3.5 hours.
- What if the weather is bad?
- Weather won't stop our tour, it goes on rain or shine! You'll be comfortable on our bus year round!
- Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour starts at the Green Door Tavern in River North and ends about 1.5 miles away at Exchequer Restaurant in the loop. Transportation back the starting point will not be provided. Further directions will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What should I bring?
- We recommend bringing a camera, and cash to pay the bartenders for any drinks you would like while on the tour. There will also be opportunities to purchase food, so please bring extra cash or a credit card for that. Lastly, please remember to bring your valid, government-issued ID.
- How did you select the locations?
- Just trust me on this one ;-)
- Who is this tour appropriate for?
- Anyone over the age of 21 who enjoys cocktails and Prohibition history.
- What if I need to use the restroom?
- You may use the restroom at any of the speakeasies.
- How large is a tour group?
- Tours take out a maximum of 20 people.
- Can I leave my belongings on the bus?
- The bus driver will stay on board the bus while we are visiting different speakeasies, but we ask that you please do not leave any valuables on the bus.
- May I tip?
- Tour guides, bartenders, and drivers welcome tips at your discretion.
- Is parking available?
- We do not offer parking, please check for street parking but remember to read signs for any restrictions.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Not at this time
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over with valid ID.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID. Each establishment will be asking for ID from tour participants, and refunds will not be provided for those under age 21 or without sufficient ID.
Chicago Pizza Tours
During the winter season of the pizza tour, Jonathan & Jonathan spent enormous amounts of time researching and cross referencing information to piece together the story of prohibition in the U.S. with a focus on Chicago. "We were floored at the reception we received from current establishments that operated as speakeasies during the period." Wanting to tell their story as a way to showcase people's Chicago experience was a natural fit.
After months of planning and replanning, the very first version of the Original Chicago Prohibition Tour was developed and ready to showcase. Our patrons could see Chicago the way it operated nearly one hundred years ago in a time when the Wets and the Drys fought for control of the United States.