"We hold the 18th ammendment to be Unconstitutional"
We'll educate you not only about Prohibition and it's consequence in Chicago, but also how Prohibition affected the nation as a whole. You'll learn what led to the 18th amendment's ratification into the constitution, enforcement under the Volstead Act, and ultimately its repeal. The history of Prohibition is rich. From fathering the "Jazz Age", to influencing a sexual revolution to the famous/notorious characters that lived it, you'll hear the stories on a 3.5 - hour speakeasy crawl.
“A Sip Of History on our bus driven tour will be unlike any other Chicago experience. It will be fun, educational, and thought provoking.”
Jonathan Porter, owner
Each former speakeasy we visit will have a different feel to it. Stops include:
- A downtown tavern built in 1872
- A lounge in Wicker Park
- A neighborhood bar in Old Town
- A restaurant in the downtown Loop.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages - Your ticket provides you the opportunity to take a tour, but you are on your own for whatever libations you'd like to indulge in.
- Commemorative photos - please be sure to bring your cameras and take lots of pictures. If you email them to us, we'll load them to our gallery!
- Parking at the starting location - We recommend public transportation. If you have to drive, please plan your route and parking.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|emilybarrett||Sat, Sep 26 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
Every single person on the tour not only thoroughly enjoyed the places we visited, but loved the history and information we received by our tour guide. It is a well thought out, organized, and interesting tour. Several of us said we would go again with people who haven't been. It's an excellent idea for a birthday or outing with someone not familiar with Chicago. Well worth the money and overall a really enjoyable time.
|spd5535||Sun, Sep 13 4:00 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We were very excited about this tour but to our disappointment, it was not as we anticipated. The tour guide seemed very scripted and used too much satire in her delivery. We were hoping that it would be more about the speakeasies that we visited, but it ended up being more like a social hour with a history lesson about prohibition. Some people may like it, but it was not our cup o' tea.
Brilliant - entertaining and genuinely informative
|Psyche752||Sat, Sep 12 4:00 PM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Fantastic experience. Took us off the beaten track and taught us a lot about prohibition. Loved the cocktails too.
Fun and Informative!!
|jbonebrake||Sat, Sep 12 4:00 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
Great taverns to visit - great history. A lot of fun!!!
|MDBrock||Sat, Sep 12 4:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Sydney was a great person to lead this tour! She really knew her stuff and was very funny and animated too! We learned alot about the prohibition era, had wonderful drinks and found a restaurant that we want to visit next time we visit! The Green Door Tavern has the real deal still which is wonderful! Great tour, great time!
|Frank9105||Sun, Sep 6 4:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Enjoyed the tour. Not crazy about some of the words used by the tour guide.
Great Tour for a Rowdy Bachelor Party
|MONTY3||Sat, Sep 5 4:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This was a really fun way to learn about history and drink on a bachelor party. She was extremely knowledgable and understood how to keep a bunch of semi-drunk guys in line while not messing this up for the others on the tour. The places we went were very neat. Our tour guide was pretty funny too! I would highly recommend this to anyone going up to Chicago for any occasion. The others on the tour we friendly and no one was kicked off. I think everyone had a great time! Thank you!
A fun afternoon
|abbygale||Sun, Aug 30 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
My husband and I absolutely enjoyed our tour. Sydney our guide was awesome...witty, in control of our sometimes rowdy group and most important provided some great history facts. We tried some of the recommended beverages and actually would rank Lucky's has having the best as well as a very nice bartender/mixologist. Would highly recommend to others.
Not what we expected,.
|randccutting||Fri, Aug 28 4:00 PM||Unspecified||70+||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Tour guide was very good.
Lots of fun
|Mr_mental||Sun, Aug 23 4:00 PM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Very interesting. Sydney was great.
- Do I need proof of age?
- Absolutely, Chicago is very strict about checking identification for people consuming alcoholic beverages. The minimum age for this event is 21 years old.
- Will beverages and food be provided?
- You are responsible for all beverages and food on this tour. Please bring some extra cash or a credit card! We will have recommendations for you to order with the bartenders.
- How many speakeasies do we visit?
- The tour features 4 speakeasies.
- Can children come?
- No, this is a 21 and over tour and IDs will be checked by every speakeasy.
- What if I’m late?
- You might miss the tour! We leave right on time, and to be fair to the whole group, we cannot wait for late arrivals. If you are not familiar with the meeting location area, please make sure to leave plenty of time to find it. Refunds cannot be provided.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour is approximately 3.5 hours.
- What if the weather is bad?
- Weather won't stop our tour, it goes on rain or shine! You'll be comfortable on our bus year round!
- Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour starts at the Green Door Tavern in River North and ends about 1.5 miles away at Exchequer Restaurant in the loop. Transportation back the starting point will not be provided. Further directions will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What should I bring?
- We recommend bringing a camera, and cash to pay the bartenders for any drinks you would like while on the tour. There will also be opportunities to purchase food, so please bring extra cash or a credit card for that. Lastly, please remember to bring your valid, government-issued ID.
- How did you select the locations?
- Just trust me on this one ;-)
- Who is this tour appropriate for?
- Anyone over the age of 21 who enjoys cocktails and Prohibition history.
- What if I need to use the restroom?
- You may use the restroom at any of the speakeasies.
- How large is a tour group?
- Tours take out a maximum of 20 people.
- Can I leave my belongings on the bus?
- The bus driver will stay on board the bus while we are visiting different speakeasies, but we ask that you please do not leave any valuables on the bus.
- May I tip?
- Tour guides, bartenders, and drivers welcome tips at your discretion.
- Is parking available?
- We do not offer parking, please check for street parking but remember to read signs for any restrictions.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Not at this time
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over with valid ID.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID. Each establishment will be asking for ID from tour participants, and refunds will not be provided for those under age 21 or without sufficient ID.
Chicago Pizza Tours
During the winter season of the pizza tour, Jonathan & Jonathan spent enormous amounts of time researching and cross referencing information to piece together the story of prohibition in the U.S. with a focus on Chicago. "We were floored at the reception we received from current establishments that operated as speakeasies during the period." Wanting to tell their story as a way to showcase people's Chicago experience was a natural fit.
After months of planning and replanning, the very first version of the Original Chicago Prohibition Tour was developed and ready to showcase. Our patrons could see Chicago the way it operated nearly one hundred years ago in a time when the Wets and the Drys fought for control of the United States.