"We hold the 18th ammendment to be Unconstitutional"
We'll educate you not only about Prohibition and it's consequence in Chicago, but also how Prohibition affected the nation as a whole. You'll learn what led to the 18th amendment's ratification into the constitution, enforcement under the Volstead Act, and ultimately its repeal. The history of Prohibition is rich. From fathering the "Jazz Age", to influencing a sexual revolution to the famous/notorious characters that lived it, you'll hear the stories on a 3.5 - hour speakeasy crawl.
“A Sip Of History on our bus driven tour will be unlike any other Chicago experience. It will be fun, educational, and thought provoking.”
Jonathan Porter, owner
Each former speakeasy we visit will have a different feel to it. Stops include:
- A downtown tavern built in 1872
- A lounge in Wicker Park
- A neighborhood bar in Old Town
- A restaurant in the downtown Loop.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages - Your ticket provides you the opportunity to take a tour, but you are on your own for whatever libations you'd like to indulge in.
- Commemorative photos - please be sure to bring your cameras and take lots of pictures. If you email them to us, we'll load them to our gallery!
- Parking at the starting location - We recommend public transportation. If you have to drive, please plan your route and parking.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Excellent!! So glad we went!
|Jodirich5||Sat, Nov 21 4:00 PM||Unspecified||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
This tour was something different to do. Loved our tour guide. She was funny and knowledgeable. Definitely recommend everyone to go!!
|bulldoglb45||Fri, Nov 13 4:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
The tour guide was amazing. He was very knowledgeable and could deliver the information in a way that was engaging and fun for the audience.
|Justyoung1||Fri, Nov 13 4:00 PM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We decided to do this on the way to Chicago. It was a great tour, I highly recommend it!
Fun and educational tour
|SCiavola||Sat, Nov 7 4:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
If you enjoy drinking, learning and aren't afraid of all things bawdy, this is a good tour. I unfortunately knew a lot of the information already, but it's still interesting and you get to see some of the old speak easies (sp?). The only warning I have is to be ready to spend some decent money on drinks since they are not included and not particularly cheap. You can always skip the drinks, but that's part of the fun. This is an especially good idea if you're in Chicago in the winter and want to tour around without spending too much time in the cold!
Local and out-of-towners need to check this out!
|sfornek||Sun, Nov 1 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Combination||Other|
Our guide Sydney was great. She was enthusiastic and engaging. My family and I grew up in Chicago(some still live there) and we all thought it was one of the best tours ever.
|bjules||Fri, Oct 30 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We really enjoyed the tour! The guide was well informed and told a great story of the history behind each stop.
We would recommend this tour to anyone who would love to hear about the history of prohibition in Chicago and see some great era bars!
Excellent drinking tour!
|SuzyQC||Fri, Oct 30 4:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Not only was this tour fun, but very educational. Definitely not your typical cheesy touristy tour. We saw several different neighborhoods in the city. Each venue was very welcoming and the tour guide was animated, fun and super knowledgable. Our group even had locals with us and they loved it too! Highly recommend it.
So richly informative and interesting
|roferg||Sun, Oct 25 4:00 PM||Male||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Our tour guide Sydney gave an excellent, rich, compelling and interactive history of prohibition. The drink recommendations are good. Worth noting that no drinks are included as part of the tour. The Green Door downstairs bar was very atmospheric and special. Big thumbs up!
|kristinstarn||Sun, Oct 25 4:00 PM||Female||40-49||Combination||Family Without Children|
Fun filled trip full if history and cocktails! It's a great way to see the city.
|msnewman22||Sat, Oct 24 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
So much history in a short amount of time! We had great drinks and a FANTASTIC tour guide, Sydney! She was absolutely hilarious and kept the group upbeat!
- Do I need proof of age?
- Absolutely, Chicago is very strict about checking identification for people consuming alcoholic beverages. The minimum age for this event is 21 years old.
- Will beverages and food be provided?
- You are responsible for all beverages and food on this tour. Please bring some extra cash or a credit card! We will have recommendations for you to order with the bartenders.
- How many speakeasies do we visit?
- The tour features 4 speakeasies.
- Can children come?
- No, this is a 21 and over tour and IDs will be checked by every speakeasy.
- What if I’m late?
- You might miss the tour! We leave right on time, and to be fair to the whole group, we cannot wait for late arrivals. If you are not familiar with the meeting location area, please make sure to leave plenty of time to find it. Refunds cannot be provided.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour is approximately 3.5 hours.
- What if the weather is bad?
- Weather won't stop our tour, it goes on rain or shine! You'll be comfortable on our bus year round!
- Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour starts at the Green Door Tavern in River North and ends about 1.5 miles away at Exchequer Restaurant in the loop. Transportation back the starting point will not be provided. Further directions will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What should I bring?
- We recommend bringing a camera, and cash to pay the bartenders for any drinks you would like while on the tour. There will also be opportunities to purchase food, so please bring extra cash or a credit card for that. Lastly, please remember to bring your valid, government-issued ID.
- How did you select the locations?
- Just trust me on this one ;-)
- Who is this tour appropriate for?
- Anyone over the age of 21 who enjoys cocktails and Prohibition history.
- What if I need to use the restroom?
- You may use the restroom at any of the speakeasies.
- How large is a tour group?
- Tours take out a maximum of 20 people.
- Can I leave my belongings on the bus?
- The bus driver will stay on board the bus while we are visiting different speakeasies, but we ask that you please do not leave any valuables on the bus.
- May I tip?
- Tour guides, bartenders, and drivers welcome tips at your discretion.
- Is parking available?
- We do not offer parking, please check for street parking but remember to read signs for any restrictions.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Not at this time
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over with valid ID.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID. Each establishment will be asking for ID from tour participants, and refunds will not be provided for those under age 21 or without sufficient ID.
Chicago Pizza Tours
During the winter season of the pizza tour, Jonathan & Jonathan spent enormous amounts of time researching and cross referencing information to piece together the story of prohibition in the U.S. with a focus on Chicago. "We were floored at the reception we received from current establishments that operated as speakeasies during the period." Wanting to tell their story as a way to showcase people's Chicago experience was a natural fit.
After months of planning and replanning, the very first version of the Original Chicago Prohibition Tour was developed and ready to showcase. Our patrons could see Chicago the way it operated nearly one hundred years ago in a time when the Wets and the Drys fought for control of the United States.