"We hold the 18th ammendment to be Unconstitutional"
We'll educate you not only about Prohibition and it's consequence in Chicago, but also how Prohibition affected the nation as a whole. You'll learn what led to the 18th amendment's ratification into the constitution, enforcement under the Volstead Act, and ultimately its repeal. The history of Prohibition is rich. From fathering the "Jazz Age", to influencing a sexual revolution to the famous/notorious characters that lived it, you'll hear the stories on a 3.5 - hour speakeasy crawl.
“A Sip Of History on our bus driven tour will be unlike any other Chicago experience. It will be fun, educational, and thought provoking.”
Jonathan Porter, owner
Each former speakeasy we visit will have a different feel to it. Stops include:
- A downtown tavern built in 1872
- A lounge in Wicker Park
- A neighborhood bar in Old Town
- A restaurant in the downtown Loop.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages - Your ticket provides you the opportunity to take a tour, but you are on your own for whatever libations you'd like to indulge in.
- Commemorative photos - please be sure to bring your cameras and take lots of pictures. If you email them to us, we'll load them to our gallery!
- Parking at the starting location - We recommend public transportation. If you have to drive, please plan your route and parking.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Fun and informative
|aaronandjen||Sat, Jun 20 4:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This was a very near experience. We learned a lot about prohibition and the drinks were great. Our tour guide didn't act like it was her millionth tour and was enthusiastic throughout.
|morrmeg||Sat, May 23 4:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
We had such a great time! Company was great at getting our reservations, as we had a groupom and none groupon . Once on the tour we learned so many interesting facts and got to see places we would never see otherwise! Two of us are from Chicago and have you heard of the four places and our friends from Texas also had a blast! Tour guide was funny and nice and very informative !
All of us highly recommend the tour and I'm actually considering going again with new friends
Great Time, Fun and Informative
|JodyLRouse||Sat, Apr 4 4:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
This is a great tour to take if you like a fun group, humorous tour guide and history of Chicago. The stops are unique to the City of Chicago and places I will definitely return to. This tour gets you off the commercial path where you can really enjoy the full flavor and history that Chicago has to offer. The stops have beautiful bars with excellent staff. I recommend this highly!
|Quijano11||Sat, Apr 4 4:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The tour was fun and the tour guide was awesome. Only recommendation I have is to throw in at least one drink voucher as part of the tour. As you tour the different bars in the city the cost of drinks adds up really quick.
|Stacylynn223||Fri, Apr 3 4:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I went on this tour with my boyfriend and another couple (all from San Francisco area) and we had such a great time! We were thoroughly impressed by how much we learned and how much fun we had. Our tour guide was incredibly knowledgeable and we enjoyed his matter-of-fact take on the prohibition era. I would do this tour again whenever I visit Chicago next and would definitely recommend it to anyone else!
Fun and Educational!
|timgkelleher||Sat, Mar 28 4:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
The four locations we visited were each fantastic in their own way. The historical material presented was done in such an engaging and enjoyable manner. The time went too fast. I would do it again!
|SMilazzo||Sat, Mar 28 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Great tour guide great places,nice bus Driver
speakeasies and Al Capone!!
|jbudzee||Fri, Mar 27 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
This is an amazing tour our tour guide was beyond knowledgeable! It was so interesting learning about prohibition and the true key players during this time.! Highly recommend the tour! Oh and the drinks well let's just say they weren't half bad either.
|kklima||Sat, Mar 21 4:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
Was looking for a unique date night idea, and was unsure if it would stay interesting for the entire 3.5 hours but it did not disappoint. Perfect for anyone who likes a good cocktail and is interested in the history of the prohibition era. Our tour guide (Jonathan) is very enthusiastic about what he does and was more than willing to answer any questions along the way. Come with a sense of humor, and as long as you're not too easily offended you'll enjoy his humor along the way too. Only downside is that the drink bill gets a little pricey along the way since all 4 places serve primarily upper-tier drinks (with a few exceptions), but that's to be expected when you sign up for this type of tour. All in all, a good time, would do it again.
Unique and Fun!
|ValCassley||Sun, Mar 15 4:00 PM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This tour was so different than any of the others I saw offered with different companies on this subject, and it more than lived up to its advertising. The tour guide was really approachable and knowledgeable, and clearly passionate about the city and its history. The group was a good size, the locations visited completely suited the tour, the information provided was really interesting and relevant and the drinks were amazing! Highly, highly recommend this tour, one of the best parts of our entire trip!
- Do I need proof of age?
- Absolutely, Chicago is very strict about checking identification for people consuming alcoholic beverages. The minimum age for this event is 21 years old.
- Will beverages be provided?
- You are responsible for all beverages on this tour. We will have recommendations for you to order with the bartenders.
- How many speakeasies do we visit?
- The tour features 4 speakeasies.
- Can children come?
- No, this is a 21 and over tour and IDs will be checked by every speakeasy.
- What if I’m late?
- You might miss the tour! We leave right on time, and to be fair to the whole group, we cannot wait for late arrivals. If you are not familiar with the meeting location area, please make sure to leave plenty of time to find it. Refunds cannot be provided.
- How long is the tour?
- The tour is approximately 3.5 hours.
- What if the weather is bad?
- Weather won't stop our tour, it goes on rain or shine! You'll be comfortable on our bus year round!
- Where does the tour start and end?
- The tour starts at the Green Door Tavern in River North and ends about 1.5 miles away at Exchequer Restaurant in the loop. Transportation back the starting point will not be provided. Further directions will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What should I bring?
- We recommend bringing a camera, and cash to pay the bartenders for any drinks you would like while on the tour. Please remember to bring your valid, government-issued ID.
- How did you select the locations?
- Just trust me on this one ;-)
- Who is this tour appropriate for?
- Anyone over the age of 21 who enjoys cocktails and Prohibition history.
- What if I need to use the restroom?
- You may use the restroom at any of the speakeasies.
- How large is a tour group?
- Tours take out a maximum of 20 people.
- Can I leave my belongings on the bus?
- The bus driver will stay on board the bus while we are visiting different speakeasies, but we ask that you please do not leave any valuables on the bus.
- May I tip?
- Tour guides, bartenders, and drivers welcome tips at your discretion.
- Is parking available?
- We do not offer parking, please check for street parking but remember to read signs for any restrictions.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Not at this time
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be age 21 or over with valid ID.
- Each attendee must be age 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID. Each establishment will be asking for ID from tour participants, and refunds will not be provided for those under age 21 or without sufficient ID.
Chicago Pizza Tours
During the winter season of the pizza tour, Jonathan & Jonathan spent enormous amounts of time researching and cross referencing information to piece together the story of prohibition in the U.S. with a focus on Chicago. "We were floored at the reception we received from current establishments that operated as speakeasies during the period." Wanting to tell their story as a way to showcase people's Chicago experience was a natural fit.
After months of planning and replanning, the very first version of the Original Chicago Prohibition Tour was developed and ready to showcase. Our patrons could see Chicago the way it operated nearly one hundred years ago in a time when the Wets and the Drys fought for control of the United States.