On this guided, narrated walking tour, you will experience and learn about Old Town Alexandria’s significance throughout the history of our country. During the tour, you will stop to sample specially made dishes at unique family owned restaurants.
After finishing, you will be able to truly appreciate the heritage, history, and local food in Old Town Alexandria.
Your culinary adventure may include the following specialties:
Experience the many sides of Old Town!
Join us as we bring you through a town of stately mansions, charming row houses, and tree lined streets, encapsulating three centuries worth of charm. See what makes this former port town so charming, unique and delicious.
All dishes served are included in the tour. Enough food is served that for most participants, dinner afterwards will not be needed. Seating and special service is provided at all restaurants throughout the tour.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
GREAT WAY TO EXPERIENCE THE HISTORY OF ALEXANDRIA
|JenniNZ||Sun, Jul 26 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Combination||Family Without Children|
WE WERE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE TERRY AS OUR GUIDE AS HE HAS AN OBVIOUS INTEREST IN THE HISTORY OF THE AREA AND WAS VERY KNOWLEDGABLE AND ENTERTAINING. THE FOOD EXPERIENCE WAS EXCELLENT BUT THE HIGH PONT WAS FINDING OUT THE AMAZING AND SURPRISING HISTORY OF ALEXANDRIA. THANK YOU TERRY!
Great food tour!
|kathens||Sun, Jul 12 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We thoroughly enjoyed the Old Town food tour. Our guide, Pedro, was organized, friendly, and very knowledgeable. The tour was just the right length and combined just the right amount of historical info and great food. The food was fabulous and the potions were much larger than I expected. The restaurants treated us wonderfully. There was not too much walking. Plenty of time at each restaurant to relax and enjoy.
Excellent! Informative! Delicious! Fun!
|mbrazil1||Sun, Jul 5 1:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Highly recommend this Historic Old Town Alexandria Food Tour. My husband and I were pleased with the variety of reataurants and sights. Our tour guide, Terry was excellent. He was very knowledgeable, accommodating and fun! We were a group of 7 strangers who bonded like old friends. We were blessed with good weather which is a plus when doing a walking tour. We plan to do walking food tours in other cities we visit and will use Zerve to book it.
Good food, poor tour
|annarsmith32||Sun, Jun 28 1:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
We visited 4 restaurants and all of the food was good, not exceptional. I was disappointed our guide said very little. He would tell us very basic things about the history of the buildings, but very little detail. I expected to learn about the historic town of Alexandria, but I didn't. I was shown George Washington's home but never told what he did or what time period. It was a poor tour. We finally gave up on our tour guide and just talked with the other people. It's difficult to hold a 3 hour conversation with complete strangers. Overall the tour was awkward. I think it could be amazing with a tour guide that actually gave a tour instead of dropping us off at a restaurant to let us eat. Save yourself a lot of money and just pick 4 restaurants and order a small meal at each.
Enjoyable afternoon of history and good food
|DianeRice||Fri, Jun 19 1:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
I thoroughly enjoyed our guide, the historical aspects of the town and the food during our Old Town Alexandria Food Tour. I would highly recommend this activity! My friends and I are planning to do other Food Tours offered by Zerve.
|CTHEMOME||Thu, Jun 18 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Our guide Don was very knowledgeable
|OnawaRadkes||Sun, Jun 14 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had a great time on this tour! We "discovered" walking food tours last year in Baltimore and we will continue to seek out walking food tours in various cities. We had a great guide Pablo, good food, and good company. Everything went smoothly from the registration to the completion. We highly recommend you try one! They are a great change from the usual tourist activities.
Excellent food and beautiful architecture
|coskob||Thu, May 28 1:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
I thought this tour did a very good job of highlighting both good food -- covering Southern cooking along with European fare -- and of showing off the historic buildings along our walk. The guide was very personable and did very well at keeping up conversations and really brought the group together. I would definitely recommend this sort of tour for others!
|steel0319||Sun, May 24 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Excellent tour with fabulous food. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and shared interesting history with us about Alexandria.
|Arrussul||Fri, May 22 1:00 PM||Male||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Our guide Lynn was very nice and knowledgable. She made sure to accommodate all food allergies and special dietary needs. The food was plenty and ranged from international to local cuisines. It's a fun way for international travelers to delve into the local culture. The only annoying thing about it was that they sat us all at the same table at one particular restaurant, and we were the only people there! All in all, it was a great experience and worth every penny.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we can add extra spaces or we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in. We may provide additional tours once a tour is close to being sold out. The maximum number of people per tour group is 12.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour. It should be noted, however, that the tour is 3.5 hours long. Some children have a limited attention span and therefore the tour may not be appropriate for some of them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation on a case by case basis. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings (or will share with you!), you do not need to purchase tickets for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- We will stop at 3-4 sit down restaurants during the tour. The types of food at the restaurants include Lebanese, Greek, European/Asian Fusion, Thai, Local/Continental, and French. You may also have tastings at a gourmet coffee and specialty store and a local chocolate shop. Everyone will also receive Alexandria’s Famous Jelly Cake. Food-tasting locations may change without notice.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 4-5 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterwards will not be necessary.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Water will be served with each meal. You will be served either tea or coffee with dessert. Alcohol may or may not be included on the tour.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Our Food Tours provide history, architecture, culture, and local cuisine. We enjoy food at a number of restaurants throughout each Food Tour in the form of either specially plated dishes, or family style meals, depending on the type of food at each restaurant..
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants. We will stop at each restaurant for 20-25 minutes, which includes time to use the bathrooms.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 20-25 minutes. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact DC Metro Food Tours by clicking on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour finishes within three blocks of the starting point. Additionally, each participant will receive specific direction details and a map at the beginning of the tour in order to gain familiarity with the area.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour.
- How many stops will there be? And how much time will we spend at each stop?
- There will be five stops along the tour. Each stop will last between 20 and 25 minutes.
- How much time will be spent inside? How much will be spent outside?
- You will spend between at least half the tour inside various restaurants. The other half will be spent on the streets of historic Old Town Alexandria.
- Is there wheelchair access on the tour?
- Our tour will cover some uneven terrain. If you or another guest with you needs wheelchair access, please contact the seller in advance. We will work to accomodate you.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is a parking garage located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Are gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all DC Metro Food Tours and make an ideal gift for birthdays, holidays, or any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To learn more about booking a Private Group Tour, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
DC Metro Food Tours
We will open your mind and palette to the sights, sounds and flavors that Washington DC has to offer. The area best known for its museums and moments is also full of exciting, historic neighborhoods that offer a wide range of cuisine that will change your expectations of our nation’s capital.