On this guided, narrated walking tour, you will experience and learn about Old Town Alexandria’s significance throughout the history of our country. During the tour, you will stop to sample specially made dishes at unique family owned restaurants.
After finishing, you will be able to truly appreciate the heritage, history, and local food in Old Town Alexandria.
Your culinary adventure may include the following specialties:
Experience the many sides of Old Town!
Join us as we bring you through a town of stately mansions, charming row houses, and tree lined streets, encapsulating three centuries worth of charm. See what makes this former port town so charming, unique and delicious.
All dishes served are included in the tour. Enough food is served that for most participants, dinner afterwards will not be needed. Seating and special service is provided at all restaurants throughout the tour.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Alexandria Food Tour
|DavidRaymond||Sat, Apr 23 1:00 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Very fun. Pablo was a great guide.
|slachner||Fri, Apr 22 1:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We had a great time on the Old Town Alex food tour. We had a small group of 7 people on our tour. We sampled foods from 4 different restaurants and all were fabulous. Our tour guide, Terry, was very knowledgeable, had great stories and answered all of our questions. The walk was at a leisurely pace. I would recommend this tour to anyone. We loved it.
Another great tour!
|nmaholic||Sat, Apr 16 1:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
This was our second tour in 5 years and still fantastic. We did the Capitol Hill tour a few years ago. The guides are so well-educated and thorough. We will be back to try more!
|PROBERTS16||Sat, Apr 16 1:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
Everything about our tour was perfect... weather was great, our tour guide Jen was very knowledgeable and very nice and the food was to die for. My two favorites were the italian spot n the barbecue. I'll definitely do another tour only tht this time I'll wear the right shoes for all the walking.
Great Old Town Food tour
|Gingnet2||Sat, Apr 16 1:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Local||Family Without Children|
My sister and I really enjoyed the Old Town Alexandria Food Tour. Our tour guide, Jennifer was very pleasant, knowledgeable and a lot of fun. The historical information she provided was interesting and fun, the restaurants we stopped at all served wonderful food and provided great service. We really had a great day!
Charming atmosphere, great food stops!
|MNCaruso26||Fri, Apr 8 1:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My fiance and I had a wonderful time on the Historic Old Town Alexandria Food Tour. We were a huge fan of just how much historical background we were able to get on Old Town Alexandria while stopping for great food at local spots. Every choice was delicious and my fiance was offered a great vegetarian substitute when the situation arose (our guide arranged the switch in advance so there was no lapse for any guest!). We found that this tour was one of the most bang-for-your-buck expenses that we made on our trip to Washington D.C. and would be excited to try another location upon a return trip!
A Bellyfull of History
|kkcando||Fri, Apr 8 1:00 PM||Unspecified||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Relaxed, informative, tasty and professionally presented...the "Historic Old Town Alexandria Food Tour" was a perfect introduction to this charming town's many offerings! Insights were offered; questions were answered and expanded upon. Our Guide was clearly proud of his community and anxious to share his enthusiasm. Great value for the price!
|kberry73||Sat, Mar 26 1:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Excellent outing for my husband myself on our first visit to Alexandria VA. The group of nine had a grand time meeting new people and more importantly trying food we maybe would not normally have ordered. The guide was funny and full of historical facts, but not boring at all.
|Landucci||Sun, Mar 20 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Combination||Family Without Children|
my group of 4 people enjoyed all the restaurants, especially the first two on our tour. We were all full by the end of the afternoon! We enjoy history, and Alexandria has many fascinating properties and stories. Our guide was very knowledgeable.
Had a great time
|AliVer||Sat, Mar 19 1:00 PM||Unspecified||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
Pablo was an awesome guide and the food was great.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we can add extra spaces or we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in. We may provide additional tours once a tour is close to being sold out. The maximum number of people per tour group is 12.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour. It should be noted, however, that the tour is 3.5 hours long. Some children have a limited attention span and therefore the tour may not be appropriate for some of them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation on a case by case basis. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings (or will share with you!), you do not need to purchase tickets for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- We will stop at 3-4 sit down restaurants during the tour. The types of food at the restaurants include Lebanese, Greek, European/Asian Fusion, Thai, Local/Continental, and French. You may also have tastings at a gourmet coffee and specialty store and a local chocolate shop. Everyone will also receive Alexandria’s Famous Jelly Cake. Food-tasting locations may change without notice.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 4-5 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterwards will not be necessary.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Water will be served with each meal. You will be served either tea or coffee with dessert. Alcohol may or may not be included on the tour.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Our Food Tours provide history, architecture, culture, and local cuisine. We enjoy food at a number of restaurants throughout each Food Tour in the form of either specially plated dishes, or family style meals, depending on the type of food at each restaurant..
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants. We will stop at each restaurant for 20-25 minutes, which includes time to use the bathrooms.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 20-25 minutes. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact DC Metro Food Tours by clicking on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour finishes within three blocks of the starting point. Additionally, each participant will receive specific direction details and a map at the beginning of the tour in order to gain familiarity with the area.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour.
- How many stops will there be? And how much time will we spend at each stop?
- There will be five stops along the tour. Each stop will last between 20 and 25 minutes.
- How much time will be spent inside? How much will be spent outside?
- You will spend between at least half the tour inside various restaurants. The other half will be spent on the streets of historic Old Town Alexandria.
- Is there wheelchair access on the tour?
- Our tour will cover some uneven terrain. If you or another guest with you needs wheelchair access, please contact the seller in advance. We will work to accomodate you.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is a parking garage located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Are gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all DC Metro Food Tours and make an ideal gift for birthdays, holidays, or any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To learn more about booking a Private Group Tour, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
DC Metro Food Tours
We will open your mind and palette to the sights, sounds and flavors that Washington DC has to offer. The area best known for its museums and moments is also full of exciting, historic neighborhoods that offer a wide range of cuisine that will change your expectations of our nation’s capital.