On this guided, narrated walking tour, you will experience and learn about Old Town Alexandria’s significance throughout the history of our country. During the tour, you will stop to sample specially made dishes at unique family owned restaurants.
After finishing, you will be able to truly appreciate the heritage, history, and local food in Old Town Alexandria.
Your culinary adventure may include the following specialties:
Experience the many sides of Old Town!
Join us as we bring you through a town of stately mansions, charming row houses, and tree lined streets, encapsulating three centuries worth of charm. See what makes this former port town so charming, unique and delicious.
All dishes served are included in the tour. Enough food is served that for most participants, dinner afterwards will not be needed. Seating and special service is provided at all restaurants throughout the tour.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
1st time food tour and it was fantastic!
|Neopilot||Sat, Aug 15 1:00 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
This was an outstanding tour with just the right combination of sights, history, and food. My wife and I highly recommend this tour and will be going on future food tours!
Great fun great food
|Meredith1313||Thu, Aug 13 1:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Our guide, Chris, was knowledgeable and passionate about history but completely down to earth. The food was amazing and the portions were substantial... we didn't need to eat dinner that night! We would certaibly do another tour with the same company .
|Heatherkaye9||Sat, Aug 8 1:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Other|
Tour interesting and informative. Good guide! Food very ordinary. Dessert store had tasteless sweets. It was so much more fun on the U Street tour because of the ethnic, out-of-the ordinary food. I do think it makes sense to give us a menu, matchbooks or something to remember the restaurants in case we wanted to go back.
Good Food and Good Conversation
|Hbs1961||Fri, Aug 7 1:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
My tour included four local restaurants in Alexandria, as well as some historical stops as we walked from restaurant to restaurant. I would be willing to try some of the other local food tours in the DC area on another trip.
The best restaurant stop was the last, and not because it was the dessert stop! Rather, because the MANAGER TOOK AN INTEREST in our visit. Now, i admit this was 100% required by the fact that we had choices from the many selections. But still, at the other three stops, had anyone but the wait staff introduced themselves and welcomed us, this tour would have been "Enthusiastically Recommended."
Even the first stop with the unremarkable house made spinach-ricotta ravioli with the garlic Alfredo sauce would have been so much better, had the manager/host/owner stopped at the table and said "Welcome to our establishment, we are a third generation Italian restaurant. My grandparents came to Alexandria in 19?? and opened the first restaurant with Nonna in the kitchen and Nonno doing the front of house at the lunch counter. Welcome and enjoy your pasta course." - anything would have been better than nothing.
Liked the information provided and the food alot!
|dnrlong||Sun, Jul 26 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The tour guide gave history details for the area. The food the restaurants gave us was very good! Each restaurant took us right in never had to wait.
GREAT WAY TO EXPERIENCE THE HISTORY OF ALEXANDRIA
|JenniNZ||Sun, Jul 26 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Combination||Family Without Children|
WE WERE VERY LUCKY TO HAVE TERRY AS OUR GUIDE AS HE HAS AN OBVIOUS INTEREST IN THE HISTORY OF THE AREA AND WAS VERY KNOWLEDGABLE AND ENTERTAINING. THE FOOD EXPERIENCE WAS EXCELLENT BUT THE HIGH PONT WAS FINDING OUT THE AMAZING AND SURPRISING HISTORY OF ALEXANDRIA. THANK YOU TERRY!
Something Different to Do
|Tclark62||Sat, Jul 25 1:00 PM||Female||30-39||Combination||Family Without Children|
I took my husband and father on the Old Town tour as a late Father's Day gift. They are both "foodies" and thought it was a great idea! We had a good time with Pablo as our guide. We were on the tour with some other people - a mother and daughter, and then 2 guides that were shadowing Pablo. We met at the Market Square. This is my only suggestion – I think the guides should be given shirts/jackets that would make them distinctive and easier to locate other than the small buttons that they wear. Pablo was very friendly and knowledgeable about Old Town and Alexandria. The shadowing guide, named Eric, who I think leads some of the Georgetown tours, was informative as well. Since they were so enthusiastic to share what they have learned, it made the historical piece of the tour enjoyable. We made about 4 food stops on the way that included a pasta dish, fried green tomatoes, ribs with coleslaw, a catfish dish at a brewery, and then a pleasant choice of dessert. It was neat to try some places that are tucked away from King Street. I would highly recommend trying something new if you have never been on one of these tours!
Tasty and Informative
|bquail||Sun, Jul 19 1:00 PM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
An enjoyable experience! Food was tasty, and very filling. Not as much talk about the meals from restaurant folk as I might have expected, but great guide who was very knowledgeable about the area and its history.
Great food tour!
|kathens||Sun, Jul 12 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We thoroughly enjoyed the Old Town food tour. Our guide, Pedro, was organized, friendly, and very knowledgeable. The tour was just the right length and combined just the right amount of historical info and great food. The food was fabulous and the potions were much larger than I expected. The restaurants treated us wonderfully. There was not too much walking. Plenty of time at each restaurant to relax and enjoy.
Excellent! Informative! Delicious! Fun!
|mbrazil1||Sun, Jul 5 1:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Highly recommend this Historic Old Town Alexandria Food Tour. My husband and I were pleased with the variety of reataurants and sights. Our tour guide, Terry was excellent. He was very knowledgeable, accommodating and fun! We were a group of 7 strangers who bonded like old friends. We were blessed with good weather which is a plus when doing a walking tour. We plan to do walking food tours in other cities we visit and will use Zerve to book it.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we can add extra spaces or we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in. We may provide additional tours once a tour is close to being sold out. The maximum number of people per tour group is 12.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour. It should be noted, however, that the tour is 3.5 hours long. Some children have a limited attention span and therefore the tour may not be appropriate for some of them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation on a case by case basis. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings (or will share with you!), you do not need to purchase tickets for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- We will stop at 3-4 sit down restaurants during the tour. The types of food at the restaurants include Lebanese, Greek, European/Asian Fusion, Thai, Local/Continental, and French. You may also have tastings at a gourmet coffee and specialty store and a local chocolate shop. Everyone will also receive Alexandria’s Famous Jelly Cake. Food-tasting locations may change without notice.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 4-5 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterwards will not be necessary.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Water will be served with each meal. You will be served either tea or coffee with dessert. Alcohol may or may not be included on the tour.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Our Food Tours provide history, architecture, culture, and local cuisine. We enjoy food at a number of restaurants throughout each Food Tour in the form of either specially plated dishes, or family style meals, depending on the type of food at each restaurant..
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants. We will stop at each restaurant for 20-25 minutes, which includes time to use the bathrooms.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 20-25 minutes. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact DC Metro Food Tours by clicking on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour finishes within three blocks of the starting point. Additionally, each participant will receive specific direction details and a map at the beginning of the tour in order to gain familiarity with the area.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour.
- How many stops will there be? And how much time will we spend at each stop?
- There will be five stops along the tour. Each stop will last between 20 and 25 minutes.
- How much time will be spent inside? How much will be spent outside?
- You will spend between at least half the tour inside various restaurants. The other half will be spent on the streets of historic Old Town Alexandria.
- Is there wheelchair access on the tour?
- Our tour will cover some uneven terrain. If you or another guest with you needs wheelchair access, please contact the seller in advance. We will work to accomodate you.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is a parking garage located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Are gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all DC Metro Food Tours and make an ideal gift for birthdays, holidays, or any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To learn more about booking a Private Group Tour, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
DC Metro Food Tours
We will open your mind and palette to the sights, sounds and flavors that Washington DC has to offer. The area best known for its museums and moments is also full of exciting, historic neighborhoods that offer a wide range of cuisine that will change your expectations of our nation’s capital.