On this guided, narrated walking tour, you will experience and learn about Old Town Alexandria’s significance throughout the history of our country. During the tour, you will stop to sample specially made dishes at unique family owned restaurants.
After finishing, you will be able to truly appreciate the heritage, history, and local food in Old Town Alexandria.
Your culinary adventure may include the following specialties:
Experience the many sides of Old Town!
Join us as we bring you through a town of stately mansions, charming row houses, and tree lined streets, encapsulating three centuries worth of charm. See what makes this former port town so charming, unique and delicious.
All dishes served are included in the tour. Enough food is served that for most participants, dinner afterwards will not be needed. Seating and special service is provided at all restaurants throughout the tour.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|sange37||Sat, Oct 3 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Even with the rainy weather we loved our tour of Old Town Alexandria! Shiney provided an amazing amount of history. The restaurants on the tour were delicious and there was a great variety. We highly recommend the coconut cake at Fair Society!
Good tour and food.
|GCauldwell||Thu, Oct 1 1:00 PM||Unspecified||50-59||Local||Unspecified|
Disappointed that more historic buildings were not included. The Columbia firehouse very mediocre. All others are exceptionally good. Westher was prohibitive.
|susanjfraser||Fri, Sep 18 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
our tour was incredibly informative. I learned so much. The food was excellent but I had expected a few more food stops. Our tour guide was the best. He was very flexible and knowledgeable. Overall, we loved the experience.
Beautiful Day in Old Town Alexandria
|rpcaudill||Sun, Sep 13 1:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
We enjoyed a Sunday afternoon food tour of Old Town Alexandria with Eric as our guide. We was very knowledgeable about the dishes we experienced and the area. Our tour included 3 entrees and one dessert. We enjoyed Italian at Landini Brothers, amazing BBQ ribs from Overwood, fried catfish and succotash from Columbia Firehouse, and sweet treats from Society Fair. Overwood was our absolute favorite. I have a gluten allergy and another gentlemen had a dairy allergy. We both were accommodated no problem. I do recommend including that in your notes when you purchase tickets. I really appreciated Zerve's in depth directions to get to the location, parking, and meeting location. We are locals that had never been there before and it was a great experience. Restrooms and alcoholic beverages/tea/coffee were available for purchase at all locations. If you have a large party I would recommend booking a private outing tailored to your group! We will definitely be doing another location soon!
Perfect day, great food, excellent local history!
|jdrecksel||Fri, Sep 11 1:00 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
This was a gift to my wife for her birthday who also happens to be a foodie, I enjoy history so the combination of the two was perfect. The weather cooperated fantasitcally and our tour guide was great. We made the restaurants in good time, learned a lot about the local history as well as the nightlife scene. The food was incredible. We had enough to eat that we had to take dessert to go. Highly recommend this activity!
Not really very Special
|robynkessler||Sun, Sep 6 1:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I have been on 4 food tours and I do not think that Alexandria has very much to offer that is unique in the culinary department. The tour was pretty staid. Our guide was nice and concerned about our welfare.
I woud definitely go on a food tour again
|Jimhiles||Sun, Sep 6 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I have never been on a food tour before and was pleasantly surprised at how organized it was between the restaurants and the tour guide. I liked hearing the history of each place and enjoyed the rest of the tour group as well.
Great Food, History, Host & Walking
|bigdogohio||Sun, Aug 30 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Combination||Group of Friends|
Really enjoyed our food tour, the food was great and the portions huge. We tried new things which was part of the fun. Walking in between courses was great as was hearing history about the area along the way. Our host was very enthusiastic and arrangements were flawless. We were 2 out of towners and a local -- and both groups enjoyed the tour.
Very cool and informative.
|Nick95||Fri, Aug 28 1:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Individual|
Very good food at great restaurants with a lot of historical information
Good mix of local lore and food
|lorirose1||Sun, Aug 23 1:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
Our guide was knowledgeable and engaging. There was definitely plenty of food to eat!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out quickly ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, AMEX, or Mastercard. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we can add extra spaces or we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in. We may provide additional tours once a tour is close to being sold out. The maximum number of people per tour group is 12.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children are welcome on the tour. It should be noted, however, that the tour is 3.5 hours long. Some children have a limited attention span and therefore the tour may not be appropriate for some of them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation on a case by case basis. Since there is a lot of standing and walking, please consider this when deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings (or will share with you!), you do not need to purchase tickets for them. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- We will stop at 3-4 sit down restaurants during the tour. The types of food at the restaurants include Lebanese, Greek, European/Asian Fusion, Thai, Local/Continental, and French. You may also have tastings at a gourmet coffee and specialty store and a local chocolate shop. Everyone will also receive Alexandria’s Famous Jelly Cake. Food-tasting locations may change without notice.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 4-5 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals. For most people there is enough food that dinner afterwards will not be necessary.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Water will be served with each meal. You will be served either tea or coffee with dessert. Alcohol may or may not be included on the tour.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Our Food Tours provide history, architecture, culture, and local cuisine. We enjoy food at a number of restaurants throughout each Food Tour in the form of either specially plated dishes, or family style meals, depending on the type of food at each restaurant..
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants. We will stop at each restaurant for 20-25 minutes, which includes time to use the bathrooms.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 20-25 minutes. Remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact DC Metro Food Tours by clicking on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are always appreciated, although not mandatory.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour finishes within three blocks of the starting point. Additionally, each participant will receive specific direction details and a map at the beginning of the tour in order to gain familiarity with the area.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes. Cameras and filming are allowed during the tour. We strongly encourage participants to take photos throughout the tour.
- How many stops will there be? And how much time will we spend at each stop?
- There will be five stops along the tour. Each stop will last between 20 and 25 minutes.
- How much time will be spent inside? How much will be spent outside?
- You will spend between at least half the tour inside various restaurants. The other half will be spent on the streets of historic Old Town Alexandria.
- Is there wheelchair access on the tour?
- Our tour will cover some uneven terrain. If you or another guest with you needs wheelchair access, please contact the seller in advance. We will work to accomodate you.
- Is there parking nearby the tour meeting point?
- Yes, there is a parking garage located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing ticket(s).
- Are gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all DC Metro Food Tours and make an ideal gift for birthdays, holidays, or any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To learn more about booking a Private Group Tour, please click on the "Contact DCFoodTours" link.
DC Metro Food Tours
We will open your mind and palette to the sights, sounds and flavors that Washington DC has to offer. The area best known for its museums and moments is also full of exciting, historic neighborhoods that offer a wide range of cuisine that will change your expectations of our nation’s capital.