Come aboard our custom built, just for Dana Wharf, 63 ft. Luxurious Catamaran for an incredible 2.5-hour Whale and Dolphin Adventure. A totally different, intimate and unforgettable experience! This 2.5-hour trip departs select days aboard the catamaran at various times.
**Looking for a deal? Check out 1/2 Price Tuesdays on our Whale Watching trips, not valid on this trip!**
- A limited number of passengers – this trip is NEVER CROWDED!
- Amazing viewing platform- our passengers can view marine life and not get wet.
- A faster and quieter journey – advanced technology engines assure you a smooth ride!
- An up close and personal experience - get closer to marine life such as whales and dolphins and watch them as they swim beneath you.
- An educational experience - get your questions answered by our on-board professional naturalist or marine biologist.
- Bask in the sun and relax on our sun bench or ride the bow for an adventure!
- Our enclosed cabin boasts a full view of the ocean and flat screen monitors so you can see the Captain's navigation screen and more.
Special Engagement: 8 hour ALL DAY CATAMARAN MULTI-SPECIES WHALE WATCH ADVENTURES LED BY NOTED GUEST NATURALISTS AND INCLUDES BOX LUNCHES FOR ALL next date TBA
GUARANTEED SIGHTINGS- If you don't see a good showing of marine mammals (whale or dolphins), get a free Marine Mammal Rain Check to come back for another trip during Gray Whale season!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|erinriddle||Sun, May 10 10:00 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Family With Children|
We had a great time. The boat was fun and the weather was great. Also everyone all employees we very nice
|shannie5888||Sat, Apr 18 11:00 AM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Excellent crew. very entertaining.
Best Day Adventure!
|monkeygurl||Sat, Apr 11 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
This was a great way to spend the day with family, great team and friendly staff- all around great experience...we'll be back again soon for sure!
Experience of a lifetime
|catmacdo||Sun, Mar 29 11:30 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I brought a German exchange student with me within 24 hrs of her arrival in the states. She loved it. I would do it again. I wish I could have brought my husband, who used a motorized wheelchair.
|Wittymom||Sun, Mar 15 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
So pleased with not only the experience of seeing ocean life, but the education was awesome and so appreciated!! Boat wasn't crowded and bar is a plus!!! Can't wait to come back and do this trip again!!
Great time Whale Watching
|Nonamaureen||Sun, Mar 15 11:30 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Enjoyable cruise to track and view whales. Our boat was clean and plenty big for our group. We had experts on board that helped spot whales and give us data regarding the whale population. Great job!
Thoroughly Enjoyable Whale Watching Excursion!!
|Angelawiebe||Sat, Mar 14 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We chose fairly last minute to book this whale watching excursion and were contemplating between the lower priced/more crowded vessel and the higher priced/more intimate catamaran experience. We selected the catamaran in order to avoid crowds and to increase our chance of better viewing/experience. We were right to choose the catamaran and it was worth every penny! We didn't have to fight for railing space to catch awesome views...but the icing on the cake and a wonderful surprise was having two experts on board: Robin (Naturalist) and Neil (Photographer)!! Both were full of wonderful knowledge and information in their respective fields, and I really appreciated learning from both. Robyn was very knowledgeable and informative regarding the whales as well as other nature/wildlife. Neil helped me with my camera settings in order to capture superior images than I ever could have on my own. Although I have taken mini courses and had other professionals try to help me understand my camera, I have never retained the information the way I have after spending an hour with Neil. The way he explained things to me made so much sense that I was able to take the information and apply after the trip and my photos for the rest of the trip had drastically improved. My only regret: that I didn't bump into Neil years ago when I first got my camera!
The other thing that was unique for us in this trip was the captain's use of technology to track the whales in order to ensure sightings. His use of a drone and explanation of the technology was so interesting and very informative.
The crew was generally friendly and helpful and we appreciated the amenities on board, including the snack menu and bar service.
We would highly recommend this trip to anyone!!
|evelynvargas||Sat, Mar 14 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
It was amazing there was environmentalists on board who educated us. Great experience
Highly Recommend a trip from Dana Wharf
|mel639||Sat, Mar 14 11:30 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Unspecified|
The people at Dana Wharf never fail to make it a memorable experience for all. The Captain and crew are very knowledgeable and the usually have a Naturalist from the Orange County chapter of the American Cetaceans Society to answer questions and educate the passengers.
|3whales||Sat, Mar 14 11:30 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
Our voyage was spectacular, we saw 10 Gray whales, over 100 dolphins and many sea lions. The catamaran was beautiful, sleek and fast in the water. The weather was picture perfect, hot with a slight breeze and the ocean was smooth as glass. The captain was so knowledgeable, informative and friendly. The whole experience was so fantastic that we all will be going again soon, there is nothing like being out on the water!
- What kind of whales have been recently sighted?
- For the latest sightings please visit http://www.danawharf.com/whalewatch.html Please note that there is NO better time for seeing whales or dolphin as they both move 24 hours/day!
- ---------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT TICKETS/POLICIES--------------------
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Can I have some more information on the DVD that is available for sale with my ticket purchase?
- Absolutely! The DVD is a video entitled “7 Miles from Dana Point”, shot by Dana Wharf’s own Captain Larry Hartmann. This original DVD features 26 minutes of breathtaking and authentic footage of marine life sightings from Dana Wharf, including killer whales, blue whales, dolphins, sea lions, birds and more! This video is sure to wow friends and family alike, and makes a great souvenir from your trip.
- What happens if it rains?
- We do run in light rain, but if it becomes extremely windy we might have to cancel the trip for safety reasons. If the trip has already left the dock and conditions become unsafe, we will issue a "whale check" that will allow you to come back another time for another one of our whale watching cruises!
- Are children allowed?
- Yes! We have no age limit for our whale watching cruises. Everyone is welcome, and our boats are very safe with high rails. Children ages two and under are free of charge, but require a ticket because our boats can only hold up to a certain amount of people and we cannot exceed that number even for toddlers or infants.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- While we don't put a limitation on who may or may not attend, pregnant women should always consult with their doctors before participating in any active activities.
- If this trip is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately we do not have waiting lists for our trips. If the date and time you want is sold out, please choose another date and time from the schedule for this activity.
- How early should I arrive to check in before the trip?
- Please arrive no later than 20 minutes before the cruise departs.
- -------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT WHALE WATCHING----------------------
- Are we guaranteed to see whales ?
- While we can’t guarantee a whale sighting every trip, our experience has allowed us to maintain an unsurpassed record for success in the Dana Point area!
- When is whale watch season?
- It's always whale watch season at Dana Wharf! Grey whale season officially begins on November 28th and runs through the end of April. Blue Whale Season runs May - November.
- What is the best time of the day to see whales?
- Whales migrate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is no "best" time to see whales, but the weather on the water tends to be calmer in the morning.
- How close do we get to the whales?
- The Marine Mammal Protection Act requires that we stay 100 yards away from the whales, but some may swim right up to the boat! Dolphins usually come very close, but we do not touch, swim with, or feed the wildlife.
- How far does the boat go out?
- Grey whales are coastal navigators, so usually we travel about a mile offshore. The same is generally true for Blue whales. The boat does have the range of up to 7 miles if needed.
- What is the special engagement?
- The special engagement is an 8-hour, all day catamaran Catalina Adventure in search of Gray Whales. This engagement will be offered once a month starting on January 26th. On these trips, a boxed lunch is included which includes a sandwich, cookie, and fruit or chips along with water. Additional drinks are available for purchase on board.
- ---------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR LOCATION--------------------
- Where exactly is Dana Wharf located within Orange County?
- Hopefully these landmarks will help you to find us better: Dana Wharf is located 40 minutes south of Disneyland in Anaheim, 1 hour south of LAX airport in Los Angeles, and 60 minutes north of Sea World in San Diego. We are basically in the heart of Orange County!
- --------------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOAT--------------------------
- Will I get seasick?
- While the OCean Adventure's dual-hull catamaran construction makes it very safe and stable, we will be in the ocean. If you are susceptible to motion sickness, you might want to consider taking preventative measures beforehand.
- Are there restrooms on board?
- Yes, there is a clean marine head on board.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes! Indoor seating and awnings are available. If you plan on staying outside to have a better view of the whales, please dress appropriately with a hat, sunglasses, and/or sunscreen.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) the OCean Adventure is constantly maintained and inspected once a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- If you would like to come whale watching with us in a wheelchair, please click on “Contact DanaWharf” to the left of the page and we will make arrangements to accommodate you.
- Are there life jackets on board? Do I have to wear one?
- We do have life jackets on board, but it is not required for any passenger to wear one during the cruise.
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is limited room to stow your belongings on board. Please only bring what is absolutely necessary for the trip.
- Can I smoke on the boat?
- Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas.
- Are dogs allowed on board?
- We do not allow dogs on board, with the exception of service animals.
- -----------------------------WHAT SHOULD I BRING-------------------------------
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- No personal food or drinks are allowed on board, except in the case of special dietary needs. Alcohol may not be brought on board. Food and drinks, including alcohol, are available for purchase on the boat.
- What kinds of food and beverages are available for sale in the deli-style galley?
- The OCean Adventure offers a variety of cold deli sandwiches (ham, turkey, etc), as well as chips, candy, soda, water, and a full bar at the on-board galley.
- How much money should I bring?
- While no money is required from you on board, if you'd like to purchase food or beverages at the full service galley, or souvenirs, please bring extra money (approximately $20). While the store on-land accepts both cash and credit cards for souvenir purchases, food and drink on the boats' galleys will need to be purchased with cash only.
- How much should I tip the crew if any?
- There is no gratuity required, but a recommended amount would between $2-$5 per person. The crew works hard to make your trip enjoyable!
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- No ice chests or coolers are allowed on board. We will make exceptions for special diets, however.
- -------------------PRIVATE CHARTERS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES------------
- Can I book a private charter?
- Yes, all boats are available for private charters. Please click on “Contact DanaWharf” to the left of the page for more information.
- Are gift certificates available for this trip?
- No, unfortunately there are no gift certificates available specifically for this trip. There are, however, gift certificates available for the 2 hour whale watching trips (both Gray Whale Season and Blue Whale Season), ½ Day/Twilight Fishing Trips, and ¾ Day Fishing Trips, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for one of these activities, please click on "List of All Activities" to the left of the page and then on "Buy a Gift Certificate" at the bottom of the page. You also have the option of purchasing a gift card for a specific dollar amount, good for any activity, though you would need to visit the shop located at Dana Wharf in person to purchase one. Please click on “Contact DanaWharf” to the left of the page for more information on this option.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants are required to have tickets for this event.
- Our boats are United States Coast Guard documented for a certain amount of passengers and we cannot exceed the capacity. This means that all passengers including infants and toddlers must have a ticket.
Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching
Set in a beautiful and flourishing harbor, Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching showcases their brand new, 63-foot , state-of-the-art catamaran, the OCean Adventure on these naturalist-led, whale watching and sea life excursions.
Dana Wharf's experienced, family oriented crew is there to make your trip as enjoyable and educational as possible. Come one, come all: whale watching is an event anyone will enjoy!