Special 4 or 8 Hour trips: departs at 8am , half day or all day adventure on our fast , luxury vessel the Ocean Adventures Catamaran to search for whales of all kinds and many more cetaceans we see. Led by our all star crew Captain Frank Brennan or Captain Corey Hall, lead naturalist Jason Kunewa and photojournalist Carla Mitroff, SPECIAL GUESTS may include Captain Todd Mansur , Bernardo Alps , Alisa Schulman-Janiger , Doug Thompson, Dr. Lei Lani Stelle , Eric Austin Yee and many more you never know who may surprise you. Upcoming dates
see available dates and times.
Come aboard our custom built, just for Dana Wharf, 63 ft. Luxurious Catamaran for an incredible Whale and Dolphin Adventure. A totally different, intimate and unforgettable experience! This trip departs select days aboard the catamaran at various times for 2.5 hours , 5 or 8 hours see the schedule.
**Looking for a deal? Check out 1/2 Price Tuesdays on our 2 hour Whale Watching trips, not valid on this trip!**
- A limited number of passengers – this trip is NEVER CROWDED!
- Amazing viewing platform- our passengers can view marine life and not get wet.
- A faster and quieter journey – advanced technology engines assure you a smooth ride!
- An up close and personal experience - get closer to marine life such as whales and dolphins and watch them as they swim beneath you.
- An educational experience - get your questions answered by our on-board professional naturalist or marine biologist.
- Bask in the sun and relax on our sun bench or ride the bow for an adventure!
- Our enclosed cabin boasts a full view of the ocean and flat screen monitors so you can see the Captain's navigation screen and more.
Special Engagement: 8 hour ALL DAY CATAMARAN MULTI-SPECIES WHALE WATCH ADVENTURES LED BY NOTED GUEST NATURALISTS - dates TBA
GUARANTEED SIGHTINGS- If you don't see a good showing of marine mammals (whale or dolphins), get a free Marine Mammal Rain Check to come back for another trip during Gray Whale season!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Dana Wharf Whale watching
|Lumadonajp||Sun, May 1 8:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
we had an amazing time. Staff was friendly and patient from the time we got there and we seemed confused about boarding and parking, they went out of their way to help us and on board the captain extremely nice, well informed about the marine as was the rest of the staff on board too. Repeat customer who were on this boat on this day had nothing but good things to say. We will definitely go with this whale watching service again.
|SuzjoYoung||Sun, May 1 8:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
Four hours and lots of marine mammals
|cbheath||Sat, Apr 9 8:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Other|
The captain and crew are devoted to finding as good a variety as possible of marine mammals for all to see. The 2-hour trips are a bit short unless you get lucky and the whales are close to the harbor, so our 4-hour trip was really nice that way. The catamaran is a nice boat and quite stable, but viewing was difficult unless you were right along railing on the bow. It would be nice if crew could encourage tall people to step back and let shorter folks in front.
The narrative by skipper was good, but we were disappointed that the naturalist we were assured would be on board wasn't there. The price was a very good value.
|beatlesman14||Sat, Apr 9 8:00 AM||Male||Under 20||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
The day I went on this was amazing. We saw so many different animals and was totally worth it! Although you want to make sure you go on a good day that's sunny and a time that has many sightings so wise planning is needed. Overall a great trip with a great captain and crew.
|Dkliewer||Sat, Apr 9 8:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Other|
I almost did not go on this trip. I was not feeling well (migraine and vertigo) but had already purchased the tickets for my daughters birthday. I sucked it up and went anyway. How bad could it get anyway? I am so glad I did. It was an amazing trip. We saw gray whales, fin whale, seals, dolphins and hump back whales. The crew was very informative and nice. The catamaran was nice and clean. We met some very nice people and had a great time! Highly recommended!
|SuzjoYoung||Sat, Apr 9 8:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Unspecified|
It's hard to see when everyone crowds up front.
Wonderful day with my family!!!
|Lafinrsm||Sat, Apr 9 8:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
My son just completed nine years with United States Marine Corps and this was his first birthday home in those nine years . We wanted a special day for the family to share and this trip was the perfect venue. Thank you for making a special day even more special.
Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching responded:
We are so happy to hear you guys had a great time on our boat! Hope to see you again soon!
The Best time ever....
|cindyjett12||Sat, Apr 9 8:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Unspecified|
We saw gray whales, fin whales and humpback whales. I booked the next 4 hour tour on April 30
|ange5299||Sat, Apr 9 8:00 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
this is my second time out, I Love it! look forward to many more!
|Moonriver1||Sun, Mar 13 11:30 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
I have always loved the sea and wanted to share it with my daughter. It was her first time on a boat and she loved it. We got to see at least 3 grey whales swimming up the coast and 1 that breached. The boat could not have been more pleasant than it was. The crew were very knowledgable about the sea and the protection of the wildlife. I will be going again, no doubt about it.
Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching responded:
Thanks for the great review! Glad to hear you had a good time!
- What kind of whales have been recently sighted?
- For the latest sightings please visit http://www.danawharf.com/whalewatch.html Please note that there is NO better time for seeing whales or dolphin as they both move 24 hours/day!
- ---------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT TICKETS/POLICIES--------------------
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Can I have some more information on the DVD that is available for sale with my ticket purchase?
- Absolutely! The DVD is a video entitled “Sharing the Shores off Dana Point”, shot by Dana Wharf’s Captains and crews with video , go pro and drones. This original DVD features 26 minutes of breathtaking and authentic footage of marine life sightings from Dana Wharf, including Gray Whales, Humpback Whales , Killer Whales, Blue Whales, dolphins, sea lions, birds and more. This DVD is fully narrated with music throughout ! This video is sure to wow friends and family alike, and makes a great souvenir from your trip.
- What happens if it rains?
- We do run in light rain, but if it becomes extremely windy we might have to cancel the trip for safety reasons. If the trip has already left the dock and conditions become unsafe, we will issue a "whale check" that will allow you to come back another time for another one of our whale watching cruises!
- Are children allowed?
- Yes! We have no age limit for our whale watching cruises. Everyone is welcome, and our boats are very safe with high rails. Children ages two and under are free of charge, but require a ticket because our boats can only hold up to a certain amount of people and we cannot exceed that number even for toddlers or infants.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- While we don't put a limitation on who may or may not attend, pregnant women should always consult with their doctors before participating in any active activities.
- If this trip is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- Unfortunately we do not have waiting lists for our trips. If the date and time you want is sold out, please choose another date and time from the schedule for this activity.
- How early should I arrive to check in before the trip?
- Please arrive no later than 20 minutes before the cruise departs.
- -------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT WHALE WATCHING----------------------
- Are we guaranteed to see whales ?
- While we can’t guarantee a whale sighting every trip, our experience has allowed us to maintain an unsurpassed record for success in the Dana Point area!
- When is whale watch season?
- It's always whale watch season at Dana Wharf! Grey whale season officially begins on November 28th and runs through the end of April. Blue Whale Season runs May - November.
- What is the best time of the day to see whales?
- Whales migrate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. There is no "best" time to see whales, but the weather on the water tends to be calmer in the morning.
- How close do we get to the whales?
- The Marine Mammal Protection Act requires that we stay 100 yards away from the whales, but some may swim right up to the boat! Dolphins usually come very close, but we do not touch, swim with, or feed the wildlife.
- How far does the boat go out?
- Grey whales are coastal navigators, so usually we travel about a mile offshore. The same is generally true for Blue whales. The boat does have the range of up to 7 miles if needed.
- What is the special engagement?
- The special engagement is an 8-hour, all day catamaran Catalina Adventure in search of Gray Whales. This engagement will be offered once a month starting on January 26th. On these trips, a boxed lunch is included which includes a sandwich, cookie, and fruit or chips along with water. Additional drinks are available for purchase on board.
- ---------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT OUR LOCATION--------------------
- Where exactly is Dana Wharf located within Orange County?
- Hopefully these landmarks will help you to find us better: Dana Wharf is located 40 minutes south of Disneyland in Anaheim, 1 hour south of LAX airport in Los Angeles, and 60 minutes north of Sea World in San Diego. We are basically in the heart of Orange County!
- --------------------------QUESTIONS ABOUT THE BOAT--------------------------
- Will I get seasick?
- While the OCean Adventure's dual-hull catamaran construction makes it very safe and stable, we will be in the ocean. If you are susceptible to motion sickness, you might want to consider taking preventative measures beforehand.
- Are there restrooms on board?
- Yes, there is a clean marine head on board.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes! Indoor seating and awnings are available. If you plan on staying outside to have a better view of the whales, please dress appropriately with a hat, sunglasses, and/or sunscreen.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) the OCean Adventure is constantly maintained and inspected once a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- If you would like to come whale watching with us in a wheelchair, please click on “Contact DanaWharf” to the left of the page and we will make arrangements to accommodate you.
- Are there life jackets on board? Do I have to wear one?
- We do have life jackets on board, but it is not required for any passenger to wear one during the cruise.
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is limited room to stow your belongings on board. Please only bring what is absolutely necessary for the trip.
- Can I smoke on the boat?
- Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas.
- Are dogs allowed on board?
- We do not allow dogs on board, with the exception of service animals.
- -----------------------------WHAT SHOULD I BRING-------------------------------
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- No personal food or drinks are allowed on board, except in the case of special dietary needs. Alcohol may not be brought on board. Food and drinks, including alcohol, are available for purchase on the boat.
- What kinds of food and beverages are available for sale in the deli-style galley?
- The OCean Adventure offers a variety of cold deli sandwiches (ham, turkey, etc), as well as chips, candy, soda, water, and a full bar at the on-board galley.
- How much money should I bring?
- While no money is required from you on board, if you'd like to purchase food or beverages at the full service galley, or souvenirs, please bring extra money (approximately $20). While the store on-land accepts both cash and credit cards for souvenir purchases, food and drink on the boats' galleys will need to be purchased with cash only.
- How much should I tip the crew if any?
- There is no gratuity required, but a recommended amount would between $2-$5 per person. The crew works hard to make your trip enjoyable!
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- No ice chests or coolers are allowed on board. We will make exceptions for special diets, however.
- -------------------PRIVATE CHARTERS AND GIFT CERTIFICATES------------
- Can I book a private charter?
- Yes, all boats are available for private charters. Please click on “Contact DanaWharf” to the left of the page for more information.
- Are gift certificates available for this trip?
- No, unfortunately there are no gift certificates available specifically for this trip. There are, however, gift certificates available for the 2 hour whale watching trips (both Gray Whale Season and Blue Whale Season), ½ Day/Twilight Fishing Trips, and ¾ Day Fishing Trips, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for one of these activities, please click on "List of All Activities" to the left of the page and then on "Buy a Gift Certificate" at the bottom of the page. You also have the option of purchasing a gift card for a specific dollar amount, good for any activity, though you would need to visit the shop located at Dana Wharf in person to purchase one. Please click on “Contact DanaWharf” to the left of the page for more information on this option.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants are required to have tickets for this event.
- Our boats are United States Coast Guard documented for a certain amount of passengers and we cannot exceed the capacity. This means that all passengers including infants and toddlers must have a ticket.
Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching
Set in a beautiful and flourishing harbor, Dana Wharf Sportfishing and Whale Watching showcases their brand new, 63-foot , state-of-the-art catamaran, the OCean Adventure on these naturalist-led, whale watching and sea life excursions.
Dana Wharf's experienced, family oriented crew is there to make your trip as enjoyable and educational as possible. Come one, come all: whale watching is an event anyone will enjoy!