Your 2¼ hour tour includes:
- Degas' 18 New Orleans paintings
- Famous New Orleans drawings and letters
- Discussions on the Degas maternal family, the Mussons, and their post civil war life in New Orleans
- A viewing of the Degas House's award winning documentary "Degas in New Orleans, a Creole Sojourn"
- The Creole Neighborhood of Degas Walking Tour
What Is Not Included?
- Do I need to buy tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- We do not offer a child discount, and you are welcome to bring children, but please keep in mind this is a 2 hour art history tour, and is geared toward adults. The tour may not be suitable for children.
- What about rainy weather?
- These tours go out in light rain and moderate weather conditions. Please note that a portion of the tour will take place on the house grounds and surrounding neighborhood, so if it looks like there is rain in the forecast, please dress appropriately and remember to bring your umbrella.
- How can I book the tour with the breakfast?
- To check out our Breakfast & the Tour activity, look to the left side of this page in the area that says "Also from DegasHouse." Please note, breakfast is only available for the morning tour.
- Can we continue to explore after the tour is over?
- What should I wear? What should I bring?
- We suggest that guests wear comfortable shoes and weather appropriate clothing.
- Is the tour handicap accessible?
- Unfortunately, the tour is not handicap accessible.
- Do you allow photography?
- Absolutely no photography is allowed on the tour.
- Can I just walk around the house without taking a tour?
- Because the Degas House is also a full-time functioning bed and breakfast, you must take the tour in order in order to explore the house and grounds.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- We do! Guests are welcome to stop and purchase gifts before or after their tour.
- Can I bring food and drinks on the tour?
- Please refrain from bringing food or drinks on the tour.
- Is there parking available?
- Yes. Parking details will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- Are pets allowed to come?
- Other than service animals, pets are not permitted.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes. If you are interested in purchasing a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact DegasHouse" link on the left side of the page.
- Do you do weddings or other private parties?
- Yes! Our establishment was voted the 2013 Best of Weddings Winner on TheKnot.com! We are perfect for weddings, corporate events and any private function. Please click on the "Contact DegasHouse" link to discuss setting up a private event.
- Do you have group rates?
- Sure do! Group rates are available for ten or more. A discount will be applied when you purchase your tickets.
- How can I find out about staying at the Degas House?
- The Degas House is also a beautiful B&B! To inquire about staying at the Degas House, please click the "Contact DegasHouse" link on the left side of this page.
Edgar Degas House
On our tours, you'll discover the story of the French Creoles and Degas' maternal family, born right here in New Orleans. Our tours are hosted by the great grand-nieces of the master himself, and are considered to be the most historically accurate (and the best!) tours in New Orleans.
The Degas House is also one of the most beautiful bed and breakfasts in town, and is also perfect for your wedding, meeting or other special event.
Tour the Degas House and walk through the life a world-renowned French Impressionist Master!