To start our tour properly we first bring you up to La Jolla with its beautiful beaches. The coast in La Jolla is really spectacular, with your feet on one of the most beautiful sand beaches in California you can see the Mediterranean backdrops right beside it, what gives the place an awesome feeling and gives you the opportunity to take some perfect photos.
After La Jolla we will visit Coronado Island, the little summer paradise located just a bridge away from Downtown San Diego. Beside its 25 miles of beautiful beaches Coronado is famous for its elegant gardens and old-world mansions.
Having enjoyed the nicest beaches of the San Diego area we will head towards downtown San Diego to visit:
- The famous Balboa Park: a 1,200 acres urban Park with over 85 cultural and recreational organizations including 15 museums
- The world class San Diego Zoo
- Downtown's Little Italy: a lovely little village filled with restaurants, bars and pubs
- East Village: downtown’s largest neighborhood and home to Petco Park, we will stop to be able to take some photos
Last but not least our tour brings you to Old Town San Diego the “birthplace” of San Diego. It was here in 1769 that Father Junipero Serra came to establish the first of 21 missions that were to be the cornerstones of California. Today Old Town San Diego still preserves the rich heritage from the period of 1821-1871. It also is home to award-winning restaurants, more than 150 shops, 17 museums and much more.
Make sure you don't miss our Tour Options to make the trip even more complete! These options can be added on to the tour above:
- Option I (Only available on the morning tour): USS Midway Museum: Explore the longest serving navy aircraft carrier of the 20th century. A self-guided audio tour will explain everything you see on the ship and tell you all you need to know.
- Option II (Only available on the morning tour): Seaport Village Shopping: Seaport village is a lovely little village located directly next to the sea. It is full of shops and restaurants making this place wonderful to hang out and relax. You will have plenty of time to check out the stores and buy some souvenirs.
- Option III (Only available on the morning tour): Harbor Cruise: Having seen San Diego from the land the harbor cruise tour is a perfect way to get a view of the city out from the water.
- Option IV (Only available on the afternoon tour): Top class 3-courses dinner cruise that will delight the most sophisticated palates and all that served with style in front of the beautiful San Diego Skyline.
- Option V (Only available on the morning tour): A one of-a-kind whale watching experience to encounter marine life’s largest animals but don’t worry they are as harmless as they are big.
What Is Not Included?
- Food and beverages are not included
- Gratuities are not included but are greatly appreciated
- How do you reserve a tour in advance with Five Star Tours?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day, time, and number of tickets you prefer,please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone with a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- Does the bus have a restroom?
- Depending on the bus we take, the bus may or may not have a restroom. However, there are restrooms available at stops along the way. We always recommend using the restroom before the tour.
- Do tour run rain or shine?
- Five Star Tours will operate a tour rain or shine.
- What type of vehicle will we be on? Do we have assigned seating?
- We do not have assigned seating. It is first come first serve so be sure to arrive early. The bus is equipped with air conditioning.
- What is included in the price of the ticket?
- Your ticket includes transportation and a guided tour of 4-hours. If you choose a combo ticket with an additional activity, the cost of admission for that activity will also be included.
- How long does the tour last?
- The tour is 4 hours long. If you choose one of the additional tour options, your tour duration will be extended by 1 hour for the Harbor Cruise option or by 1.5 hours for the USS Midway and Seaport Village options.
- Are children allowed to attend?
- Yes, children of all ages are welcome. Due to the duration of the tour, parents should consider whether this tour is appropriate for their child.
- What about infants? Can they attend?
- There is no minimum age required in order to attend. Children under 3 years old can attend for free, but we ask that you leave us a note letting us know in the ”Message to the Seller” field when purchasing tickets.
- Where does the tour end?
- We will drop you off back at the meeting location.
- Is the tour narrated?
- Yes, the tour guide will narrate the tour and is happy to answer any questions on anything he did not cover.
- How much walking is involved? Do we get off the bus during the tour?
- We will be getting off the bus to explore different areas of San Diego and the time is split between walking and driving.
- Can I leave my belongings on the bus if we get off? May I bring luggage on the bus?
- There is very limited storage space available on the bus/van and we cannot accommodate large pieces of luggage. Please also keep in mind that there will be a few stops of up to 15-20 minutes each where we will be leaving the bus. If you are not comfortable leaving your belongings on the bus during this time, you might want to reconsider bringing them.
- Will we be able to purchase food or drinks during the tour? Can I bring my own food or drinks?
- While no food or drinks are included in the ticket price, people can bring their own drinks and snacks on the tour. There is a place to purchase something along the way, but keep in mind there isn't much time as we need to keep the tour on schedule.
- If I select the Seaport Village Shopping option, how does that work?
- After your city tour, you will be taken to Seaport Village where you can spend time shopping or eating at a local restaurant. With over 50 places to shop and nearly 20 restaurants, there is plenty to explore! The bus will pick up tour participants and head back to the city tour starting location about 2 hours after dropping them off at Seaport Village. However, the walk back to the starting location is about 10 minutes. So, participants wanting the check out Seaport Village for a shorter or longer period of time can walk back to the meeting location on their own.
- If I select the Harbor Cruise option, how does that work?
- After the city tour, the bus will take participants who selected the Harbor Cruise option to board the Harbor Cruise. The Harbor Cruise will last approximately 2 hours, and then the bus will bring participants back to the starting location. On the Harbor Cruise, participants will receive information about more than 50 San Diego landmarks, see marine animals and seabirds, and have the option to purchase drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and snacks from the snack bar.
- If I select the whale watching option, how does that work?
- After the city tour, people who purchased the whale watching option will be taken to board the vessel. The whale watching tour is 3.5 hours long, and guests will be brought back to the city tour starting location after the cruise has finished. The cruise is narrated by the expert captain and whalers from the San Diego Natural History Museum. In addition to spotting whales, sea lions, dolphins and harbor seals, guests will also get an exclusive look at local environmental efforts.
- If I select the dinner cruise option, how does that work?
- After the city tour, the bus will take dinner cruise participants to board the boat. The dinner cruise will last about three hours and it includes a 3-course dinner. Vegetarian options are available. Coffee and tea is served with dinner, but alcoholic beverages are available for purchase. On the cruise, guests receive their own private table and there is also a professional DJ on board for music and dancing. After the cruise, transportation is not provided back to the city tour starting location. However, for guests who need to return to the city tour starting location, it is only a 5 minute walk.
- If I choose the USS Midway Museum option, how does that work?
- After your city tour, the bus will take you to the USS Midway Museum where you will have about 2 hours to explore before the bus brings tour participants back to the starting location. However, the museum is about a 5 minute walk from the meeting location. So, if you would like to stay at the museum for a shorter or longer period of time, you can easily walk back to the starting location on your own.
- What should I wear?
- Please dress comfortable and according to the forecast since we will be getting off the bus/van at certain locations. Since the tour involved some walking, be sure to wear comfortable shoes.
- Are tours only available in English?
- At the moment we can only offer tours in English/Spanish, but you are more than welcome to arrange for an interpreter. Please note that if bringing an interpreter, they will need a full priced ticket.
- Is the van or bus wheelchair and stroller accessible?
- Our vehicle does not have a wheelchair lift, so we generally don't recommend our tours for those in wheelchairs. We can usually accommodate guests if they can manage to get on and off the van and walk short distances. Keep in mind that we will be getting off the van at a few stops along the way but there is minimal walking involved on this tour. If you have any questions about whether this tour is appropriate for someone with limited mobility, please click on the "Contact FiveStarTours" link to discuss it with us directly.
- Does Five Star Tours offer hotel pickup?
- Although we cannot guarantee hotel pickup, sometimes we can accommodate a pickup request depending on where your hotel is located. To request a hotel pickup, please click on the “Contact FiveStarTour” link to the left of the page.
- Are gratuities included?
- Gratuities are not included in the ticket price. While note required, gratuities are accepted and appreciated by the tour guides. (15% is standard for a job well done)
- Are pets allowed on the tour?
- We are not able to accommodate pets on the tour.
- Are gift certificated available?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available for purchase on our website. If you have any questions about purchasing or redeeming gift certificates, please click on the “Contact FiveStarTours” link on the left side of this page.
- Can I arrange a private tour?
- Yes! Private tours for any group size are available. To inquire about booking a private tour, please click on the “Contact FiveStarTours” link on the left of this page.
Five Star Tours
Five Star Tours & Charter Bus Company is a local tour operator in San Diego offering a wide range of unique “ city tours” and “theme park tours” that create an unforgettable experience. Our tours focus on offering a unique visitor experience that will offer an interactive and fun way to discover America’s Finest City. Tours offered include City Tours, Heart of SoCal, Beach and Surf Tour, San Diego Zoo, Safari Park, Legoland Tours and more. These tours will be offer to all ages and will include a take home present.
“Our tours will open new adventures and will have our customers learning new ways of discovering our city” states Yolanda M. Hernandez, President of Five Star Tours. “We are delighted to be opening our new tour division and giving our visitors and locals an opportunity to learn about San Diego history, culture and most importantly what its citizens are all about”.
Five Star Tours is San Diego's Tour Bus Leader since 1972. We specialize in group transportation and tour services for all types of groups or individuals. We continue to expand and provide the safest most dependable charter bus service in San Diego and Southern California. With our diverse fleet of charter buses, we can accommodate any size group from the business traveler seeking airport service to the corporate event planner seeking group transportation.