New York's Original Food and Culture Walking Tours
Our Central Village/SoHo tour has a new name:
THE HEART OF THE VILLAGE
Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour
Feel the beat of the funky streets, taste charming off-the-radar eats, hear tales of the free-spirits who launched the 1960's NYC music scene, and stroll through the historical heart of the neighborhood and the site of so many social revolutions: Washington Square Park
THE FULL DESCRIPTION:
Tour through the heart of New York's Greenwich Village (East of 6th Avenue, covering MacDougal, Sullivan & Thompson Streets). As we explore, you will discover favorite neighborhood cafes (where the first cappuccino was served in America) eateries, restaurants and unique specialty food shops (including a former mafia hangout). Stroll on MacDougal Street which has been the object of songs and poems and has been called, "the most colorful and magnetic street for tourists and locals in NYC."
This part of the Village is also known for its counter-culture and social revolutions and it once was (and still is) enjoyed by bohemians, beatniks, artists, and singers. Follow in the footsteps of famous creative folks such as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Jimi Hendrix, Bill Cosby & Jerry Seinfeld.
Stroll through Washington Square Park, and view architecture from the 19th century. Learn secret NYC facts about the beginnings of off-broadway theatre, the birth of Reader's Digest, the impact of NYC's underground waterways and the origins of the NYC Fire Patrol. Discover where to go for live music, comedy & food establishments (like the oldest coffee shop in the Village, 1906). Taste a variety of food specialties from cafes, food shops & restaurants.
This tour DOES NOT overlap with our Original Greenwich Village Food Tour.
Your food-tasting journey through Central Greenwich Village includes delicious tastings from:
- Cafe Dante - Oldest Italian Cafe/Eatery in Greenwich Village
- Masala Times - Indian Street Food Eatery
- Artichoke Pizza - Famous Pizza Joint
- Monte's - Family-run Italian Restaurant
- Cuba - Cuban Restaurant OR Toloache - Upscale Mexican
- Sullivan Tea - Charming Shop with Mafia History
- Francois Payard Bakery - French Bakery
All tastings are included in your ticket purchase. Enough food is served that, for most participants, lunch afterwards is not needed. There are several sidewalk tastings and 2 seated tastings in restaurants.
We look forward to hosting you on this fun and delectable tour.
PS: This tour does not overlap with our Original Greenwich Village Food and Culture tour. Nothing is duplicated nor do we cover any of the same ground. This tour takes place East of 6th Ave, the Original Greenwich Village Tour takes place West of 6th Ave.
What Is Not Included?
Tour guide gratuities are not included in the cost of your ticket.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Enjoyed it very much
|rengelbach||Sat, Feb 21 12:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We did the tour on a very snowy and cold day, but it was still lots of fun. It was great to visit the little shops and restaurants as well as to receive a bit of history and site seeing of the area. The food was delicious and plentiful. I was extremely full by the end of the tour. I would recommend starting the tour with a lighter item. Our first tasting was a toasted sandwich which would have almost done for lunch and it was followed by 6 additional tastings. You definitely get your money's worth with food. Our tour guide Susan seemed quite knowledgeable and she was very friendly. I would definitely do again and try a different area.
fun informative and delicious tour
|etreston||Sat, Feb 21 12:00 PM||Male||20-29||Combination||Couple on a Date|
Great tour of a very cultural part of the city. Our guide Susan was very knowledgeable and informative about both historical and cultural aspects of the neighborhood. The stops we made for food were frequent, delicious, and quite varied in type of food. Would recommend to any food enthusiasts.
Heart of Village Tour
|sitalow2000||Sat, Feb 14 12:30 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The food on the tour was great! It is a great value for the money and a very fun activity. The only negative was the tour guide. She was a bit harsh when we arrived when she learned that some of our party of 11 were going to be late (they ended up being 10 min late) and made a big thing about where where we sat / put out coats in the meeting place restaurant. We actualy started our tour at another place so not sure why we had to meet at one place and hand out water / napkins there vs just meeting at the actual fist stop and handing stuff out there. All in all, as I mentioned the food was good, the tour guide descriptions of the area was ok.
A GREAT EXPERIENCE
|Daiseygirl22||Sat, Feb 14 12:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Not only was the food at 7 different restaurants exellent but the history of the neighborhood where the restaurants were located was very interesting!
I would recommend this tour to whoever enjoys food, likes to walk and enjoys the history of NY
Group members are already booking for May
|RonSchott||Sat, Feb 14 12:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Loved it! The pacing of the foods, the history, and conversation was on target! If you have concerns about the walking, don't worry. The different stops are nicely-spaced for all ages and appetites. We did not need dinner afterwards as many share. ... a May booking for the other side of the Village in the works :)
Lovely your of Greenwich village
|mareaavee22||Fri, Feb 13 12:30 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
I think that Foods of NY does a great job of supplying native New Yorkers as tour guides for their tours. This is a walking tour and half of the time you'll be outside but if you take this tour like us, unsuspecting Californians, in the middle of February, expect to be exposed to the frigid bitter cold. That's about the only con for this tour. Otherwise well done and informative and very enjoyable.
|mpeer5848||Sat, Feb 7 12:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
This was my second tour from this company and it was more awesomeness!! I also did the noho tour Which had a little more culture which I really enjoyed but this one was excellent as well. I highly recommend this tour and I plan to do the rest of the ones they offer. Great food, great culture, and an overall great expirience!!
|Nathalalias||Sun, Feb 1 12:00 PM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This was the first food tour I had ever been on and found that it was not just about food. Great food with some added history and culture to the mix. Great tour guide Rahime really knew what he was talking about and delivered everything so well. Made the tour interactive so that the groups weren't awkward in any way. Fabulous trip with great food to boot! Hard to choose a favourite food of the tour!!!
good but could use some zip
|LouiseJamme||Sat, Jan 31 12:30 PM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
i've taken several of the tours with Foods of New York and this was my least favorite. On the other tours, I felt like the establishments were carefully selected for their history; the anecdotes provided were insightful and humorous, the staff friendly and inviting and the tour flowed very well. didn't feel that same richness and flow on this tour. the staff did not interact with the food tour customers and something of the charm is lost in that. however, still enjoyable.
Second time on this tour and LOVED it!
|RMcCulloch||Sat, Jan 31 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We first did a Foods of NY tour with our children about 5 years ago - the Original Greenwich Village tour. Let's just say that walking & talking & eating my way through cities has now become a "must-do" when we travel! In September, we did the Heart of the Village Tour while on a weekend getaway without the kids...we loved it SO MUCH when we were back in town this past weekend with the children we did it again!! Everyone loved it and our tour guide Susan was fun & personable! I recommend these tours to anyone and everyone I know who is heading to NYC!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page to let us know what date you are interested in. Also, if this tour is sold out please check our tour calendar (link to the left) for available tickets on one of our other food and culture tours.
- What type of tickets are available for your tours and events?
- There are a few types of tickets available for our Central Greenwich Village Tour: Mondays & Thursdays: Standard Ticket: Ages 13 and up - $49.00 Child Ticket: Ages 12 and under - $35.00 Friday, Saturday and Sunday: Standard Tickets: Ages 13 and above - $52.00 Ages 12 and under - $35.00
- Are the Foods of New York tours appropriate for children?
- Our tours have been developed for food and history lovers. In our vast touring experience we have found that those under 17 might not fully appreciate our tours. Although, some children do enjoy our tours (the history, the food) and if you feel your children will enjoy it - please bring them along! Whether to bring your child is ultimately up to your discretion, but do note that ALL CHILDREN, ages 3+, need a paid ticket. We assume that if your child is below age 3 than they will not be participating in the food-tasting portion of the tour. Therefore, for children below age 3, no ticket is required and there will not be a food portion dedicated to this child. If you'd like food for your child under 3, then please do purchase a ticket. Either way, please INDICATE THAT YOU ARE BRINGING A CHILD, SO THAT YOUR TOUR GUIDE CAN BE PREPARED. Also, note that strollers are not advisable due to narrow sidewalks, uneven cobblestone streets and staircases. If you have further questions, contact us.
- Are the walking tours given in bad weather?
- All of our tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire 3 hours. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. It is impossible to cancel a tour at the very last minute due to many circumstances beyond our control. Before purchasing tickets please be aware of the possible weather conditions for that time of year.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- Please dress casual, comfortable, and appropriate for the different seasons in New York. General Weather Conditions in New York City: January 1st - April 15th - Usually cold and windy (tapering off in April) April 16th - June 15th - Mild temperatures (becoming warmer in June) June 16th - September 15th - Mild to Hot temperatures (usually hot in July and August) Sept 16th - December 31st - Starts off mild and then gets cold during the end of October.
- What if I’ve heard great things about a particular tour guide?
- Foods of New York Tours has been in business since 1999, and we’re proud to say we receive excellent feedback on all of our guides! They are all friendly and love to share their knowledge about food, the neighborhood, and more. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a particular tour guide on a specific tour.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- Foods of New York does not include gratuities in the cost of our tours. A standard gratuity for a tour guide in New York City is 15% to 20% of the tour price. If you had a great time gratuities are accepted by our tour guides.
- What should I expect if I take a Foods of New York 3 hour Walking Tour?
- Our walking and tasting tours are led by experienced Foods of New York tour guides. During our tours you will learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood while tasting delicious food specialties from Mom and Pop food shops, eateries, and restaurants. Most of the food tastings are served while standing in or outside of the food establishment. There is one sit down tasting that takes place in a restaurant on each of our tours. This sit down tasting takes around 20-25 minutes and will allow everyone to enjoy themselves in a relaxed manner. While on the tour we go in and out of food establishments, walk down interesting streets, and learn about the fascinating history and culture of a neighborhood.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a very casual pace.
- How many people can attend a tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour guide is 16. If one tour is sold out there is a very good chance we will offer another that same day. Tours run 30 minutes apart.
- How much food is served on the tours?
- There are 7 stops for food tastings on our tours. For most people there is enough food that lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We visit various restaurants per neighborhood and sample food from one selected restaurant per tour. This is also a sit down tasting.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We supply everyone with a bottle of water at the start of the tour.
- Is there a wine tasting included on the tour?
- The tour itself does not serve wine, but there is one stop that provides a nice environment for you to purchase drinks on your own. Your tour guide will let you know when it is a good time to enjoy a drink.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- At this time we CAN provide food substitutions for Vegetarians on most tours (except Explore Chinatown) but we CANNOT make food substitutions for any other food allergies (such as gluten free or dairy free). We are sorry for the inconvenience. Our Food Tours are set up based on our selection of a food item that is special and unique and that highlights each establishment. When food substitutions are made and tastings are altered it does not allow us to achieve our culinary goals. We appreciate your understanding.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair-and/or stroller-accessible?
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs are not recommended on our tours, and strollers are not permitted, due to the many narrow sidewalks that we walk on, the uneven cobble stone streets that we cross, certain staircases that we use when entering establishments, and the very small shops that we visit. If you have further questions, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in New York City. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhood and the city in which they live. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
- I took this tour a year ago. Has anything changed?
- We change the tour slightly every six to eight months. Many parts of the tour remain the same, but we do our best to improve upon and enhance the tour.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all Foods of NY tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this activity, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link on our web page.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available for groups of up to 48 people. To inquire about a private tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. A Foods of New York Tours representative will contact you within 24 hours to inform you if the date and time requested is available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tickets only valid for date and time selected.
- Tickets can only be used for the exact date and time for which they have been purchased. Once purchased, tickets may not be used or exchanged for any other date or time. During purchase, you must review all booking details carefully to ensure that all are correct and that there are no errors.
Foods of New York Tours
Foods of New York Tours was established in 1999 to help visitors and local residents find the ultimate food and cultural experience "off the beaten path,"but the adventure truly began over 25 years ago when we started exploring the delicious ethnic foods and diverse musical venues within Greenwich Village and SoHo.
Foods of New York Tours has been featured in Gourmet Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, and many more publications.
Foods of New York Tours proudly offers our award winning food tasting and cultural walking tours through 5 amazing neighborhoods; Greenwich Village, The Heart of the Village, Chelsea Market and Meatpacking district, Chinatown, and Nolita and Noho.
The staff at Foods of New York Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the thousands of unedited reviews written by previous customers by clicking the links at the top of this page.
Foods of New York Tours