New York's Original Food and Culture Walking Tours
Our Central Village/SoHo tour has a new name:
THE HEART OF THE VILLAGE
Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour
Feel the beat of the funky streets, taste charming off-the-radar eats, hear tales of the free-spirits who launched the 1960's NYC music scene, and stroll through the historical heart of the neighborhood and the site of so many social revolutions: Washington Square Park
THE FULL DESCRIPTION:
Tour through the heart of New York's Greenwich Village (East of 6th Avenue, covering MacDougal, Sullivan & Thompson Streets). As we explore, you will discover favorite neighborhood cafes (where the first cappuccino was served in America) eateries, restaurants and unique specialty food shops (including a former mafia hangout). Stroll on MacDougal Street which has been the object of songs and poems and has been called, "the most colorful and magnetic street for tourists and locals in NYC."
This part of the Village is also known for its counter-culture and social revolutions and it once was (and still is) enjoyed by bohemians, beatniks, artists, and singers. Follow in the footsteps of famous creative folks such as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Jimi Hendrix, Bill Cosby & Jerry Seinfeld.
Stroll through Washington Square Park, and view architecture from the 19th century. Learn secret NYC facts about the beginnings of off-broadway theatre, the birth of Reader's Digest, the impact of NYC's underground waterways and the origins of the NYC Fire Patrol. Discover where to go for live music, comedy & food establishments (like the oldest coffee shop in the Village, 1906). Taste a variety of food specialties from cafes, food shops & restaurants.
This tour DOES NOT overlap with our Original Greenwich Village Food Tour.
Your food-tasting journey through Central Greenwich Village includes delicious tastings from:
- Meltkraft - Specializing in Artisinal Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Masala Times - Indian Street Food Eatery
- Artichoke Pizza - Famous Pizza Joint
- Monte's - Family-run Italian Restaurant
- Cuba - Cuban Restaurant OR Toloache - Upscale Mexican
- Sullivan Tea - Charming Shop with Mafia History
- Francois Payard Bakery - French Bakery
All tastings are included in your ticket purchase. Enough food is served that, for most participants, lunch afterwards is not needed. There are several sidewalk tastings and 2 seated tastings in restaurants.
We look forward to hosting you on this fun and delectable tour.
PS: This tour does not overlap with our Original Greenwich Village Food and Culture tour. Nothing is duplicated nor do we cover any of the same ground. This tour takes place East of 6th Ave, the Original Greenwich Village Tour takes place West of 6th Ave.
What Is Not Included?
Tour guide gratuities are not included in the cost of your ticket.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great food, great guide.
|CarolLeaman||Mon, Aug 24 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Susan was a terrific tour guide. The food was very tasty. You won't need dinner, and start off hungry.
|acostigan||Sun, Aug 23 12:00 PM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The 3 hour tour was so interesting, our tour guide Raheem was knowledgeable, enthusiastic and funny.
All the food and drink was tasty and there is so much of it, you defintley do not go away hungry. Would recommend the food tours to anyone visiting the city.
|robglass803||Sat, Aug 22 12:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Susan did a great job mixing the local history with the local food. The tastings were all outstanding. I would highly recommend this tour. I'm sure it will be one of the most memorable things you do while you are visiting NYC!!
|RVinson||Sat, Aug 22 12:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Good food, good friends, good weather, good tour guide, good times. What more can you ask for?
|LizaS17||Thu, Aug 20 12:45 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Enjoyed the tour, very enthusiastic tour guide who was knowledgeable about the neighborhood.
|Chriscomrie||Thu, Aug 20 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Enjoyed the food and all the sites. Guide was very informative and knowledgeable . Wish we had done this sooner in our trip.
Great Food & History
|akrose||Thu, Aug 20 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
All but one food stop on this tour was excellent. Even the one I did not find to be excellent, was still very good. No complaints on the food. Best grilled cheese I've ever had. More than enough food for lunch. Did not need dinner afterwards. Very accommodating to vegetarians as well. Our guide was friendly and knowledgeable. Learned a lot about the neighborhood's history and certainly know more about it now than probably most of the people who live there. I would recommend this for anyone really: couples, families, friends, co-workers.
|Loodie471||Mon, Aug 17 12:45 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
Loved it and our guide Suzanne.
|ElizabethHa||Fri, Aug 14 12:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Great way for outsiders of Nyc to get an inside view of the city.
We have been on a number of your tours in the last few years and will continue to arrange them when we come to on visits. You have done a superb job at finding really lovely and engaging hosts that help us feel connected with the city.
|beckyvi||Thu, Aug 13 12:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We had a great food tour in Greenwich. Our gaudier, Susan, was very personable and knowledgable! All of the restaurants we visited were delicious.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page to let us know what date you are interested in. Also, if this tour is sold out please check our tour calendar (link to the left) for available tickets on one of our other food and culture tours.
- What type of tickets are available for your tours and events?
- There are a few types of tickets available for our Central Greenwich Village Tour: Mondays & Thursdays: Standard Ticket: Ages 13 and up - $49.00 Child Ticket: Ages 12 and under - $35.00 Friday, Saturday and Sunday: Standard Tickets: Ages 13 and above - $52.00 Ages 12 and under - $35.00
- Are the Foods of New York tours appropriate for children?
- Our tours have been developed for food and history lovers. In our vast touring experience we have found that those under 17 might not fully appreciate our tours. Although, some children do enjoy our tours (the history, the food) and if you feel your children will enjoy it - please bring them along! Whether to bring your child is ultimately up to your discretion, but do note that ALL CHILDREN, ages 3+, need a paid ticket. We assume that if your child is below age 3 than they will not be participating in the food-tasting portion of the tour. Therefore, for children below age 3, no ticket is required and there will not be a food portion dedicated to this child. If you'd like food for your child under 3, then please do purchase a ticket. Either way, please INDICATE THAT YOU ARE BRINGING A CHILD, SO THAT YOUR TOUR GUIDE CAN BE PREPARED. Also, note that strollers are not advisable due to narrow sidewalks, uneven cobblestone streets and staircases. If you have further questions, contact us.
- Are the walking tours given in bad weather?
- All of our tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire 3 hours. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. It is impossible to cancel a tour at the very last minute due to many circumstances beyond our control. Before purchasing tickets please be aware of the possible weather conditions for that time of year.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- Please dress casual, comfortable, and appropriate for the different seasons in New York. General Weather Conditions in New York City: January 1st - April 15th - Usually cold and windy (tapering off in April) April 16th - June 15th - Mild temperatures (becoming warmer in June) June 16th - September 15th - Mild to Hot temperatures (usually hot in July and August) Sept 16th - December 31st - Starts off mild and then gets cold during the end of October.
- What if I’ve heard great things about a particular tour guide?
- Foods of New York Tours has been in business since 1999, and we’re proud to say we receive excellent feedback on all of our guides! They are all friendly and love to share their knowledge about food, the neighborhood, and more. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a particular tour guide on a specific tour.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- Foods of New York does not include gratuities in the cost of our tours. A standard gratuity for a tour guide in New York City is 15% to 20% of the tour price. If you had a great time gratuities are accepted by our tour guides.
- What should I expect if I take a Foods of New York 3 hour Walking Tour?
- Our walking and tasting tours are led by experienced Foods of New York tour guides. During our tours you will learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood while tasting delicious food specialties from Mom and Pop food shops, eateries, and restaurants. Most of the food tastings are served while standing in or outside of the food establishment. There is one sit down tasting that takes place in a restaurant on each of our tours. This sit down tasting takes around 20-25 minutes and will allow everyone to enjoy themselves in a relaxed manner. While on the tour we go in and out of food establishments, walk down interesting streets, and learn about the fascinating history and culture of a neighborhood.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a very casual pace.
- How many people can attend a tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour guide is 16. If one tour is sold out there is a very good chance we will offer another that same day. Tours run 30 minutes apart.
- How much food is served on the tours?
- There are 7 stops for food tastings on our tours. For most people there is enough food that lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We visit various restaurants per neighborhood and sample food from one selected restaurant per tour. This is also a sit down tasting.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We supply everyone with a bottle of water at the start of the tour.
- Is there a wine tasting included on the tour?
- The tour itself does not serve wine, but there is one stop that provides a nice environment for you to purchase drinks on your own. Your tour guide will let you know when it is a good time to enjoy a drink.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- At this time we CAN provide food substitutions for Vegetarians on most tours (except Explore Chinatown) but we CANNOT make food substitutions for any other food allergies (such as gluten free or dairy free). We are sorry for the inconvenience. Our Food Tours are set up based on our selection of a food item that is special and unique and that highlights each establishment. When food substitutions are made and tastings are altered it does not allow us to achieve our culinary goals. We appreciate your understanding.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair-and/or stroller-accessible?
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs are not recommended on our tours, and strollers are not permitted, due to the many narrow sidewalks that we walk on, the uneven cobble stone streets that we cross, certain staircases that we use when entering establishments, and the very small shops that we visit. If you have further questions, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in New York City. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhood and the city in which they live. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
- I took this tour a year ago. Has anything changed?
- We change the tour slightly every six to eight months. Many parts of the tour remain the same, but we do our best to improve upon and enhance the tour.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all Foods of NY tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this activity, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link on our web page.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available for groups of up to 48 people. To inquire about a private tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. A Foods of New York Tours representative will contact you within 24 hours to inform you if the date and time requested is available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tickets only valid for date and time selected.
- Tickets can only be used for the exact date and time for which they have been purchased. Once purchased, tickets may not be used or exchanged for any other date or time. During purchase, you must review all booking details carefully to ensure that all are correct and that there are no errors.
Foods of New York Tours
Foods of New York Tours was established in 1999 to help visitors and local residents find the ultimate food and cultural experience "off the beaten path,"but the adventure truly began over 25 years ago when we started exploring the delicious ethnic foods and diverse musical venues within Greenwich Village and SoHo.
Foods of New York Tours has been featured in Gourmet Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, and many more publications.
Foods of New York Tours proudly offers our award winning food tasting and cultural walking tours through 5 amazing neighborhoods; Greenwich Village, The Heart of the Village, Chelsea Market and Meatpacking district, Chinatown, and Nolita and Noho.
The staff at Foods of New York Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the thousands of unedited reviews written by previous customers by clicking the links at the top of this page.
Foods of New York Tours