New York's Original Food and Culture Walking Tours
Original Greenwich Village Food Tasting and Cultural Walking Tour
• First food tasting and cultural walking tour in NYC •
Explore America’s most famous neighborhood!
Join us as we stroll through the winding, tree-lined streets of the West Village (West of 6th Ave). Learn about the history, culture, architecture, and local entertainment offerings that make Greenwich Village so exciting and unique.
On this guided walking tour you will taste delicious specialties from classic "mom and pop" food shops, eateries, and one restaurant where you will be served a delicious tasting while seated. Once the tour is complete you can return to the Village with confidence and have the ultimate food and cultural experience off-the-beaten-path as if you live here!
Your food-tasting journey includes delicious tastings from:
- Murray's Cheese Shop - (est. 1940)
- Joe's Pizza - (est. 1974 )
- Faicco's Italian Specialties - (est. 1900)
- O and Co. Olive Oils - (est. 1982)
- Milk and Cookies Bakery - (est. 2005)
- Rafele Ristorante - (est. 2012)
- Rocco's Pastry Shop - (est. 1972)
• Food subject to change without notice.
We look forward to hosting you on this fun and delectable tour!
What Is Not Included?
Tour guide gratuities are not included in the cost of your ticket.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Outstanding tour and guide
|Iancash||Sat, Aug 29 12:30 PM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Cindy is an amazing guide,loved her humour and knowledge, our fourth eating and walking tour in U.S. Up with the best loved the meatballs
Great sampling of NYC food and culture
|dondraper||Fri, Aug 28 12:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Tour guide Rahim was very knowledgeable and enthusiastic about NYC food and culture. I enthusiastically recommend him. Food choices were delicious. Definitely recommend this tour. Only give this 4 stars because had to pay additional $ for optional items on the tour. Like you had to buy milk when we visited the Milk & Cookies shop. Shouldn't milk be included in a shop named that?
Excellent !!!! Very balanced !
|candygat_b||Thu, Aug 27 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Our tour guide was perfect . Robin was funny , witty , very personal and had much gusto ! The tour was a right balance of eating , history , leisure walking and rest in between . What a great way to spend the day
Best NYC Tour
|Rebecca1Ben||Thu, Aug 27 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
I highly recommend this tour to everyone. We had Burt as our tour guide and he was amazing. He was extremely knowledgeable and a complete blast. Not only was the food outstanding but the information about the city was so interesting to learn. So, two thumbs up all the way!
|afilingeri||Wed, Aug 26 12:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
I highly recommend Robin! She was a fantastic tour guide; she reminds me of the spectacular tour guide I had on my recent visit to Italy. She remembered all 20 of our names, and where we were from within five minutes after meeting us. This is a human superpower. I never been on a food tour before, and after this experience I will MOST DEFINITELY recommend your company and most especially, your tour guide! She deserves a raise :)
Great way to learn about Greenwich village
|Joe0723||Wed, Aug 26 12:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Robin was great. It was not only a food tour but also a little history about Greenwich village. The restaurants where
Wonderful. The 3 hours went very fast. Joe & alma from Texas.
|Mottma||Wed, Aug 26 12:00 PM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Fantastic day tour that I highly recommend. Loved the tour guide Robin. She was so friendly, lively and full of knowledge. I loved eating the food while enjoying the great culture and streets of Greenwich. Do yourself a favor and do this tour!
Fantastic tour and amazingly charismatic guide
|joannebs1||Wed, Aug 26 11:30 AM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Curt was our guide and made what would have been a carry good tour fantastic. He was informative on the history of Greenwich and food in the local area. He made everyone feel welcome and to gel as a group and even better he was so funny, full of witty anecdotes. We had an amazing afternoon and would certainly recommend.
It was delightfully delicious and somewhat saucy.
|AliDale||Wed, Aug 26 11:30 AM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
It was such a fun way to spend an afternoon - eating wonderful food and learning at the same time - all education should function like this! Experiential and informative.
Definitely the Best !,
|marlenemason||Wed, Aug 26 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Other|
I drew the long straw with this tour, what a great 3 hours. I was lucky enough to have Sephrah as my tour guide in a group of about 12 people. She was very funny with great one liners and a sense of humour. So many times during the tour, local people people would wave and say hello. Her knowledge of the history of the area was commendable and the local eateries we were taken to were incredible. Strongly recommended for anyone visiting NYC and want to get into the local village culture.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page to let us know what date you are interested in. Also, if this tour is sold out please check our tour calendar (link to the left) for available tickets on one of our other food and culture tours.
- What type of tickets are available for your tours and events?
- There are a few types of tickets available for our Original Greenwich Village Tour: Tues-Thurs: Standard Ticket: Ages 13 and up - $49.00 Child Ticket: Ages 12 and under - $35.00 Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday: Standard Tickets: Ages 13 and above - $52.00 Ages 12 and under - $35.00
- Are the Foods of New York tours appropriate for children?
- Our tours have been developed for food and history lovers. In our vast touring experience we have found that those under 17 might not fully appreciate our tours. Although, some children do enjoy our tours (the history, the food) and if you feel your children will enjoy it - please bring them along! Whether to bring your child is ultimately up to your discretion, but do note that ALL CHILDREN, ages 3+, need a paid ticket. We assume that if your child is below age 3 than they will not be participating in the food-tasting portion of the tour. Therefore, for children below age 3, no ticket is required and there will not be a food portion dedicated to this child. If you'd like food for your child under 3, then please do purchase a ticket. Either way, please INDICATE THAT YOU ARE BRINGING A CHILD, SO THAT YOUR TOUR GUIDE CAN BE PREPARED. Also, note that strollers are not advisable due to narrow sidewalks, uneven cobblestone streets and staircases. If you have further questions, contact us.
- Are the walking tours given in bad weather?
- All of our tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire 3 hours. You should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. It is impossible to cancel a tour at the very last minute due to many circumstances beyond our control. Before purchasing tickets please be aware of the possible weather conditions for that time of year.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- Please dress casual, comfortable, and appropriate for the different seasons in New York. General Weather Conditions in New York City: January 1st - April 15th - Usually cold and windy (tapering off in April) April 16th - June 15th - Mild temperatures (becoming warmer in June) June 16th - September 15th - Mild to Hot temperatures (usually hot in July and August) Sept 16th - December 31st - Starts off mild and then gets cold during the end of October.
- What if I’ve heard great things about a particular tour guide?
- Foods of New York Tours has been in business since 1999, and we’re proud to say we receive excellent feedback on all of our guides! They are all friendly and love to share their knowledge about food, the neighborhood, and more. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a particular tour guide on a specific tour.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- Foods of New York does not include gratuities in the cost of our tours. A standard gratuity for a tour guide in New York City is 15% to 20% of the tour price. If you had a great time gratuities are accepted by our tour guides.
- What should I expect if I take a Foods of New York 3 hour Walking Tour?
- Our walking and tasting tours are led by experienced Foods of New York tour guides. During our tours you will learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood while tasting delicious food specialties from Mom and Pop food shops, eateries, and restaurants. Most of the food tastings are served while standing in or outside of the food establishment. There is one sit down tasting that takes place in a restaurant on each of our tours. This sit down tasting takes around 20-25 minutes and will allow everyone to enjoy themselves in a relaxed manner. While on the tour we go in and out of food establishments, walk down interesting streets, and learn about the fascinating history and culture of a neighborhood.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a very casual pace. Please note that there are some stairs that we navigate during the tour. If stairs are a problem for you or any of your guests, please indicate that when you purchase your tickets so we can do our best to accommodate your needs.
- How many people can attend a tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour guide is 16. If one tour is sold out there is a very good chance we will offer another that same day. Tours run 30 minutes apart.
- How much food is served on the tours?
- There are 7 stops for food tastings on our tours. For most people there is enough food that lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We visit various restaurants per neighborhood and sample food from one selected restaurant per tour. This is also a sit down tasting.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We supply everyone with a bottle of water at the start of the tour.
- Is there a wine tasting included on the tour?
- The tour itself does not serve alcohol, but The Original Greenwich Village Tour and The Central Village / SoHo Tour does include one stop that provides a nice environment for you to purchase drinks on your own. Your tour guide will let you know when it is a good time to enjoy a drink.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- At this time we CAN provide food substitutions for Vegetarians on most tours (except Explore Chinatown) but we CANNOT make food substitutions for any other food allergies (such as gluten free or dairy free). We are sorry for the inconvenience. Our Food Tours are set up based on our selection of a food item that is special and unique and that highlights each establishment. When food substitutions are made and tastings are altered it does not allow us to achieve our culinary goals. We appreciate your understanding.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair-and/or stroller-accessible?
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs are not recommended on our tours, and strollers are not permitted, due to the many narrow sidewalks that we walk on, the uneven cobble stone streets that we cross, certain staircases that we use when entering establishments, and the very small shops that we visit. If you have further questions, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in New York City. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhood and the city in which they live. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
- I took this tour a year ago. Has anything changed?
- We change the tour slightly every six to eight months. Many parts of the tour remain the same, but we do our best to improve upon and enhance the tour.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all Foods of NY tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link on our web page.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available for groups of up to 48 people. To inquire about a private tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. A Foods of New York Tours representative will contact you within 24 hours to inform you if the date and time requested is available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tickets only valid for date and time selected.
- Tickets can only be used for the exact date and time for which they have been purchased. Once purchased, tickets may not be used or exchanged for any other date or time. During purchase, you must review all booking details carefully to ensure that all are correct and that there are no errors.
Foods of New York Tours
Foods of New York Tours was established in 1999 to help visitors and local residents find the ultimate food and cultural experience "off the beaten path," but the adventure truly began over 25 years ago when we started exploring the delicious ethnic foods and diverse musical venues within Greenwich Village and SoHo.
Foods of New York Tours has been featured in Gourmet Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, and many more publications.
Foods of New York Tours proudly offers our award winning food tasting and cultural walking tours through 5 amazing neighborhoods; Greenwich Village, Central Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market and Meatpacking district, Chinatown, and Nolita and Noho.
The staff at Foods of New York Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the thousands of unedited reviews written by previous customers by clicking the links at the top of this page.
Foods of New York Tours