New York's Original Food and Culture Walking Tours
The Nolita/NoHo Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour
Explore two quaint & historic East side neighborhoods!
Experience life in Nolita & NoHo...
Taste your way through the cozy corners of Nolita (North of Little Italy) where old-world charm meets a youthful, downtown vibe. Walk the same streets as John Gotti and Martin Scorsese while visiting sites made famous by The Godfather. Learn the history of The Bowery (the original Broadway). Formerly known for flophouses, Skid Row bums and the legendary CBGB's, this area transformed into a mecca for posh hotels and delectable dining. Get a glimpse of the cast-iron facades and cobblestone streets of NoHo while continuing to taste from restaurants not found in your typical NYC guidebook.
On this guided walking tour you will taste mouthwatering eats from undiscovered spots that specialize in traditional recipes & century-old techniques. Sample Roman style pizza, Brooklyn blackout cake, authentic Mexican tacos and more.
Your food-tasting journey includes delicious tastings from:
- Little Cupcake - American Bakeshop
- Emporio - Italian Restaurant
- Tartinery - French Restaurant
- Tacombi@Fonda Nolita - Mexican Restaurant
- IL BUCO ALIMENTARI & VINERIA - Italian Restaurant
- The Smile - Hip NYC Cafe/Eatery
What Is Not Included?
A NOTE ABOUT FOOD SUBSTITUTIONS:
At this time we CAN provide substitutions for Vegetarians but we CANNOT provide substitutions for any other food allergies or restrictions (such as gluten free) on the Nolita/NoHo Food Tour. We are sorry for any inconvenience. We hope to be able to provide a variety of substitutions in the future.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|ldolsberry||Sat, May 28 11:15 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Great food with highly entertaining guide Bert! Highly recommend this tour!!!
|Sandy000||Sat, May 28 10:45 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Anny was the best four tour guide I've ever had. She was knowledgeable and was very nice. She made everyone laugh and enjoy the tour. The time just flew by. I would recommend this tour (and Anny) to anyone and if I'm back in New York I would take this one again. Thanks for a great tour.
|BettySchink||Fri, May 27 11:45 AM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The pizza was particularly good. Tour was a bit long. Didn't need more than a peek in the barber shop and garden. Second to last food stop was the weakest.
Loved the tour
|Rlonergan||Fri, May 27 11:45 AM||Male||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Abby was enthusiastic and entertaining.
Eat your way through the city!
|sheej23||Tue, May 24 11:45 AM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
This was my first time on a food tour, and I'm a total foodie. Annie our tour guide was amazing!! She is super fun and knows a lot about the city, her personality definitely made this tour enjoyable.
We took a walk through literally probably 5 blocks but the food was tasty and our group was fun! While we walked, Annie described the city and everything we were seeing. We definitely needed to walk off the food we were stopping at. I would definitely recommend this food tour to anyone who wants to learn about the city's history and culture while enjoying yummy food!
|NancyLouMaco||Mon, May 23 11:45 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
What a great day! Annie was our tour guide and she was so much fun. Her knowledge of the history of the area and her friendly personality made our experience so enjoyable. The places we visited and the food samplings were very generous. Many of the samplings were indoors and we were seated at tables which made it very comfortable. Highly recommend!
Best tour in NYC
|jilJillJill||Mon, May 23 11:45 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Terrific tour. The tour takes you away from the millions of tourist in NYC and into a 'real' neighborhood to sample amazing food and soak up the culture of the district. The tour guide - Annie - is a true delight. Her personality makes the tour personable and fun.
Best thing I did in NYC!
An informative walking tour and culinary delight
|Lindaartist||Mon, May 23 11:45 AM||Female||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Annie is the unique red-haired Tour Guide Extraordinaire! She shared great tidbits of information about colourful characters, often evocatively presented. We learned the history and could get a good feeling for the trials and tribulations and happiness of those who came before us in time. The restaurants were the added bonus! Generous and delicious portions won marks for presentation! We were preferentially treated by the staff. Will partake of this tour again. Although some have to 'sing for their supper', Annie's ending treat to us was an upbeat song sung with a clear pure voice!! Kudos to her. She does you proud.
|char2366||Sat, May 21 11:15 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
My 3 besties and I thoroughly enjoyed this tour. The food was great and out your guide was the best! A must do!
Little Italy tour
|Nascimento||Sat, May 21 11:15 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Excellent tour! Great food! Bert, our guide, was awesome.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What type of tickets are available for your tours and events?
- There are two types of tickets available: Monday through Friday, Standard Ticket, Ages 13 and up - $49.00 & Child Ticket, Ages 12 and under - $35.00; Saturday and Sunday, Standard Ticket Only, All ages - $49.00.
- Are the Foods of New York tours appropriate for children?
- Our tours have been developed for food and history lovers. In our vast touring experience we have found that those under 17 might not fully appreciate our tours. Although, some children do enjoy our tours (the history, the food) and if you feel your children will enjoy it - please bring them along! Whether to bring your child is ultimately up to your discretion, but do note that ALL CHILDREN, ages 3+, need a paid ticket. We assume that if your child is below age 3 than they will not be participating in the food-tasting portion of the tour. Therefore, for children below age 3, no ticket is required and there will not be a food portion dedicated to this child. If you'd like food for your child under 3, then please do purchase a ticket. Either way, please INDICATE THAT YOU ARE BRINGING A CHILD, SO THAT YOUR TOUR GUIDE CAN BE PREPARED. Also, note that strollers are not advisable due to narrow sidewalks, uneven cobblestone streets and staircases. If you have further questions, contact us.
- Are the walking tours given in bad weather?
- All of our tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire 3 hours, but you should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. It is impossible to cancel a tour at the very last minute due to many circumstances beyond our control. Before purchasing tickets please be aware of the possible weather conditions for that time of year.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- Please dress casual, comfortable, and appropriate for the different seasons in New York. General weather conditions in New York City: January 1st - April 15th - Usually cold and windy (tapering off in April); April 16th - June 15th - Mild temperatures (becoming warmer in June); June 16th - September 15th - Mild to hot temperatures (usually hot in July and August); Sept 16th - December 31st - Starts off mild and then gets cold during the end of October.
- What if I’ve heard great things about a particular tour guide?
- Foods of New York Tours has been in business since 1999, and we’re proud to say we receive excellent feedback on all of our guides! They are all friendly and love to share their knowledge about food, the neighborhood, and more. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a particular tour guide on a specific tour.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- Foods of New York does not include gratuities in the cost of our tours. A standard gratuity for a tour guide in New York City is 15% to 20% of the tour price. If you had a great time gratuities are accepted by our tour guides.
- What should I expect if I take a Foods of New York 3 hour Walking Tour?
- Our walking and tasting tours are led by experienced Foods of New York tour guides. During our tours you will learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood while tasting delicious food specialties from Mom and Pop food shops, eateries, and restaurants. Most of the food tastings are served while standing in or outside of the food establishment. While on the tour we go in and out of food establishments, walk down interesting streets, and learn about the fascinating history and culture of a neighborhood.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a very casual pace. Please note that there are some stairs that we navigate during the tour. If stairs are a problem for you or any of your guests, please indicate that when you purchase your tickets so we can do our best to accommodate your needs.
- How many people can attend a tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour guide is 16. If one tour is sold out there is a very good chance we will offer another that same day. Tours run 30 minutes apart.
- How much food is served on the tours?
- There are 7-8 stops for food tastings (restaurants and specialty food shops) on the tour. For most people there is enough food that lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We visit various restaurants and specialty food shops on the tour based on what we think is the most delicious and has the best story.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We supply everyone with a bottle of water at the start of the tour.
- Is there a wine tasting included on the tour?
- The tour itself does not serve alcohol, but we can definitely recommend a place to grab a glass of wine or a beer in Nolita/NoHo right after the tour. We will show you some very cool places along the way.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- At this time we CAN provide food substitutions for Vegetarians on most tours (except Explore Chinatown) but we CANNOT make food substitutions for any other food allergies (such as gluten free or dairy free). We are sorry for the inconvenience. Our Food Tours are set up based on our selection of a food item that is special and unique and that highlights each establishment. When food substitutions are made and tastings are altered it does not allow us to achieve our culinary goals. We appreciate your understanding.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair-and/or stroller-accessible?
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs are not recommended on our tours, and strollers are not permitted, due to the many narrow sidewalks that we walk on, the uneven cobble stone streets that we cross, certain staircases that we use when entering establishments, and the very small shops that we visit. If you have further questions, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in New York City. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhood and the city in which they live. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
- I took this tour a year ago. Has anything changed?
- We change the tour slightly every six to eight months. Many parts of the tour remain the same, but we do our best to improve upon and enhance the tour.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all Foods of NY tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link on our web page.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available for groups of up to 16 people. To inquire about a private tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. A Foods of New York Tours representative will contact you within 24 hours to inform you if the date and time requested is available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tickets only valid for date and time selected.
- Tickets can only be used for the exact date and time for which they have been purchased. Once purchased, tickets may not be used or exchanged for any other date or time. During purchase, you must review all booking details carefully to ensure that all are correct and that there are no errors.
Foods of New York Tours
Foods of New York Tours was established in 1999 to help visitors and local residents find the ultimate food and cultural experience "off the beaten path,"but the adventure truly began over 25 years ago when we started exploring the delicious ethnic foods and diverse musical venues within Greenwich Village and SoHo.
Foods of New York Tours has been featured in Gourmet Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, and many more publications.
Foods of New York Tours proudly offers our award winning food tasting and cultural walking tours through 5 amazing neighborhoods; Greenwich Village, Central Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market and Meatpacking district, Chinatown, and Nolita and Noho.
The staff at Foods of New York Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the thousands of unedited reviews written by previous customers by clicking the links at the top of this page.
Foods of New York Tours