New York's Original Food and Culture Walking Tours
The Nolita/NoHo Food Tasting & Cultural Walking Tour
Explore two quaint & historic East side neighborhoods!
Experience life in Nolita & NoHo...
Taste your way through the cozy corners of Nolita (North of Little Italy) where old-world charm meets a youthful, downtown vibe. Walk the same streets as John Gotti and Martin Scorsese while visiting sites made famous by The Godfather. Learn the history of The Bowery (the original Broadway). Formerly known for flophouses, Skid Row bums and the legendary CBGB's, this area transformed into a mecca for posh hotels and delectable dining. Get a glimpse of the cast-iron facades and cobblestone streets of NoHo while continuing to taste from restaurants not found in your typical NYC guidebook.
On this guided walking tour you will taste mouthwatering eats from undiscovered spots that specialize in traditional recipes & century-old techniques. Sample Roman style pizza, Brooklyn blackout cake, authentic Mexican tacos and more.
Your food-tasting journey includes delicious tastings from:
- Little Cupcake - American Bakeshop
- Emporio - Italian Restaurant
- Tartinery - French Restaurant
- Tacombi@Fonda Nolita - Mexican Restaurant
- IL BUCO ALIMENTARI & VINERIA - Italian Restaurant
- The Smile - Hip NYC Cafe/Eatery
What Is Not Included?
A NOTE ABOUT FOOD SUBSTITUTIONS:
At this time we CAN provide substitutions for Vegetarians but we CANNOT provide substitutions for any other food allergies or restrictions (such as gluten free) on the Nolita/NoHo Food Tour. We are sorry for any inconvenience. We hope to be able to provide a variety of substitutions in the future.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Annie's good cheer is contagious
|keabush||Sun, Jul 26 10:45 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Individual|
It was a pleasure to have such an enthusiastic and happy guide. Great food selections and good path through area. Well done.
One of the best ways to experience NY!!
|DebHaley||Sat, Jul 25 10:45 AM||Unspecified||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This is the third food tour I've taken in NY. While all have been fantastic, this was the best!! Our guide Annie was so energetic, friendly and knowledgable. I'm coming back in 3 weeks with another group of friends and we plan to take the tour again!
|Jwittmaak||Fri, Jul 24 11:45 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Anny was a wonderful tour guide. We stopped at places that we never would have known about, and learned so much interesting information about the history of the neighborhood. The restaurants were very friendly and accommodating to our group. Anny was extremely knowledgeable and enthusiastic, and it was an experience we will not forget. We will definitely book another food and culture tour next time we visit.
Fun, exciting, educational food tour
|lindaholder||Thu, Jul 23 11:45 AM||Female||50-59||Combination||Family Without Children|
Our tour guide, Annie, was fabulous!! She was very personable, kind and considerate. She was extremely knowledgeable and well spoken. She made it a point to memorize everyone's name and talk to each individual. I was on the tour with my two sisters and by the end of the tour we adopted her as our fourth sister. The food we sampled at the different locations was delicious. I will highly recommend this tour to my friends and hopefully Annie will still be around so they can take the tour with her.
I LOVED the Nolita/Noho Food Tour!!
|jennacourt||Thu, Jul 23 11:45 AM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We're from Toronto and two years ago I did the Greenwich Village food tour and loved it. I was worried this one wouldn't compare but it for sure surpassed my expectations. I absolutely loved the Nolita/Noho tour!! We loved our tour guide Annie, she was extremely friendly. She had great knowledge about the restaurants and foods we ate at, as well as the history of the area and cool tid bits of information you would never know about if you were to walk this area alone. My favorite was the Mexican restaurant Tacombi, we even went back there another night for dinner. Also loved the food we sampled at the French restaurant Tartinery and the pizza at Emporio Ristorante.
I am absolutely recommending this tour to everyone I know! Food was delicious. Tour guide was amazing. And this area is beautiful, an area I will return to on my next visit....as well as another food tour!
Another fabulous tour
|farnsworth4||Thu, Jul 23 11:45 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This was our 4th Foods of New York Tour and it was just as wonderful as our previous experiences. Our tour guide "Annie" was adorable!
Outstanding experience/entertaining, informative.
|Jneal0||Mon, Jul 20 11:45 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
Susan, our tour leader, was the best, caring, supportive, enthusiastic, knowledgeable.
Annie was great and we enjoyed the tour very much!
|pgenerale||Sun, Jul 19 10:45 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Would recommend for anyone interested in food and history. Easy walking. Annie handed out water and looked for shade as it was a VERY hot day.
Annie + Food + NoHo/Nolita History Tour = Amazing!
|SusZach||Sun, Jul 19 10:45 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
Annie was the best tour guide. She was knowledgeable, sweet, & fun. Everything was well paced, and there was never a dull moment. The food was delicious, and we were stuffed by the end of the tour. Annie, though, is the one that made this tour totally worth it!
2nd Nolita Tour
|jatownsley||Sat, Jul 18 11:15 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
It was a great tour with Burt on Saturday. He did a fantastic job with the tour from the history to making sure we were all taken care of at each of our stops. This was my 2nd Nolita tour and it is always so much fun, educational and plus the food is great! I have been on a few food tours but Foods of New York Tours are the best.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay with cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is not accepted.
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, there is always a chance that we will add an additional tour. Please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What type of tickets are available for your tours and events?
- There are two types of tickets available: Monday through Friday, Standard Ticket, Ages 13 and up - $49.00 & Child Ticket, Ages 12 and under - $35.00; Saturday and Sunday, Standard Ticket Only, All ages - $49.00.
- Are the Foods of New York tours appropriate for children?
- Our tours have been developed for food and history lovers. In our vast touring experience we have found that those under 17 might not fully appreciate our tours. Although, some children do enjoy our tours (the history, the food) and if you feel your children will enjoy it - please bring them along! Whether to bring your child is ultimately up to your discretion, but do note that ALL CHILDREN, ages 3+, need a paid ticket. We assume that if your child is below age 3 than they will not be participating in the food-tasting portion of the tour. Therefore, for children below age 3, no ticket is required and there will not be a food portion dedicated to this child. If you'd like food for your child under 3, then please do purchase a ticket. Either way, please INDICATE THAT YOU ARE BRINGING A CHILD, SO THAT YOUR TOUR GUIDE CAN BE PREPARED. Also, note that strollers are not advisable due to narrow sidewalks, uneven cobblestone streets and staircases. If you have further questions, contact us.
- Are the walking tours given in bad weather?
- All of our tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire 3 hours, but you should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. It is impossible to cancel a tour at the very last minute due to many circumstances beyond our control. Before purchasing tickets please be aware of the possible weather conditions for that time of year.
- How should I dress during a tour?
- Please dress casual, comfortable, and appropriate for the different seasons in New York. General weather conditions in New York City: January 1st - April 15th - Usually cold and windy (tapering off in April); April 16th - June 15th - Mild temperatures (becoming warmer in June); June 16th - September 15th - Mild to hot temperatures (usually hot in July and August); Sept 16th - December 31st - Starts off mild and then gets cold during the end of October.
- What if I’ve heard great things about a particular tour guide?
- Foods of New York Tours has been in business since 1999, and we’re proud to say we receive excellent feedback on all of our guides! They are all friendly and love to share their knowledge about food, the neighborhood, and more. We’re sorry, but we cannot guarantee a particular tour guide on a specific tour.
- Are tour guide gratuities included in the price?
- Foods of New York does not include gratuities in the cost of our tours. A standard gratuity for a tour guide in New York City is 15% to 20% of the tour price. If you had a great time gratuities are accepted by our tour guides.
- What should I expect if I take a Foods of New York 3 hour Walking Tour?
- Our walking and tasting tours are led by experienced Foods of New York tour guides. During our tours you will learn about the history and culture of a neighborhood while tasting delicious food specialties from Mom and Pop food shops, eateries, and restaurants. Most of the food tastings are served while standing in or outside of the food establishment. While on the tour we go in and out of food establishments, walk down interesting streets, and learn about the fascinating history and culture of a neighborhood.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately 3 hours. We walk at a very casual pace. Please note that there are some stairs that we navigate during the tour. If stairs are a problem for you or any of your guests, please indicate that when you purchase your tickets so we can do our best to accommodate your needs.
- How many people can attend a tour?
- The maximum number of people per tour guide is 16. If one tour is sold out there is a very good chance we will offer another that same day. Tours run 30 minutes apart.
- How much food is served on the tours?
- There are 7-8 stops for food tastings (restaurants and specialty food shops) on the tour. For most people there is enough food that lunch afterwards is not necessary.
- What restaurants will we visit on the tour?
- We visit various restaurants and specialty food shops on the tour based on what we think is the most delicious and has the best story.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- We supply everyone with a bottle of water at the start of the tour.
- Is there a wine tasting included on the tour?
- The tour itself does not serve alcohol, but we can definitely recommend a place to grab a glass of wine or a beer in Nolita/NoHo right after the tour. We will show you some very cool places along the way.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- At this time we CAN provide food substitutions for Vegetarians on most tours (except Explore Chinatown) but we CANNOT make food substitutions for any other food allergies (such as gluten free or dairy free). We are sorry for the inconvenience. Our Food Tours are set up based on our selection of a food item that is special and unique and that highlights each establishment. When food substitutions are made and tastings are altered it does not allow us to achieve our culinary goals. We appreciate your understanding.
- Are any of your walking tours wheelchair-and/or stroller-accessible?
- Unfortunately, wheelchairs are not recommended on our tours, and strollers are not permitted, due to the many narrow sidewalks that we walk on, the uneven cobble stone streets that we cross, certain staircases that we use when entering establishments, and the very small shops that we visit. If you have further questions, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page.
- May I bring my dog on the tour?
- Due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native New Yorker?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in New York City. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhood and the city in which they live. We mainly stay off the beaten path, and thus avoid being consumed by crowds of tourists.
- I took this tour a year ago. Has anything changed?
- We change the tour slightly every six to eight months. Many parts of the tour remain the same, but we do our best to improve upon and enhance the tour.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for all Foods of NY tours and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link on our web page.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available for groups of up to 16 people. To inquire about a private tour, please contact us by clicking “Contact FoodTours” to the left of the page. A Foods of New York Tours representative will contact you within 24 hours to inform you if the date and time requested is available.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tickets only valid for date and time selected.
- Tickets can only be used for the exact date and time for which they have been purchased. Once purchased, tickets may not be used or exchanged for any other date or time. During purchase, you must review all booking details carefully to ensure that all are correct and that there are no errors.
Foods of New York Tours
Foods of New York Tours was established in 1999 to help visitors and local residents find the ultimate food and cultural experience "off the beaten path,"but the adventure truly began over 25 years ago when we started exploring the delicious ethnic foods and diverse musical venues within Greenwich Village and SoHo.
Foods of New York Tours has been featured in Gourmet Magazine, The New York Times, USA Today, and many more publications.
Foods of New York Tours proudly offers our award winning food tasting and cultural walking tours through 5 amazing neighborhoods; Greenwich Village, Central Greenwich Village, Chelsea Market and Meatpacking district, Chinatown, and Nolita and Noho.
The staff at Foods of New York Tours is proud to share our knowledge and discoveries with you. Let us take you on a journey that introduces you to the best of the best, opening up a whole new world just waiting to be explored.
Your satisfaction is our most important goal. We encourage you to check out the thousands of unedited reviews written by previous customers by clicking the links at the top of this page.
Foods of New York Tours