We are the most personal tour in town! There will be no more than six to a wagonette (which includes adults and children, we allow for lap children under the age of three) allowing for a unique experience!
Enjoy a trip back in time during your carriage ride and learn about:
- George Washington's childhood and early adult life
- Market Square and the Fredericksburg Area Museum/Cultural Center
- Dr. Hugh Mercer's apothecary shop
- Rising Sun Tavern - Fredericksburg's only proper tavern and the former home of Charles Washington
- Fielding Lewis and Betty Washington's Kenmore Plantation
- Living history museums that include the home of Mary Washington and law office of James Monroe
- The slave trade and the still standing auction block
- Timeless, gracious homes with lush gardens and picket fences
- The breathtaking churches that include the church George Washington attended as a child
Your tour guide will be a licensed professional with extensive knowledge of Fredericksburg's history and you'll enjoy stories from over 300 years of this city's amazing past. Beat the Heat! Check out our early bird and evening tours in July and August!
Tips are appreciated! Our drivers give 100%!
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Horse and Carriage Time Machine
|vrd1023||Sat, May 28 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
Take a trip back into time through a horse and carriage time machine. Coachmen on knowledgeable. Affordable ride.
Carriage ride/history, apothecary museum
|Emmamomof2||Sun, May 22 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
Had a great time on carriage ride ,and enjoyed the apothecary museum as well,the ladies who gave us a tour were great!
|Turee4||Sun, May 8 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
This was a surprise for my mom for my son to surprise her with. It was great and we had the carriage to ourselves which was wonderful. The girl was awesome and really knew her stuff and taught us a lot. It was truly a great thing to do and showed us there is so much to do and learn about in Olde Towne Fredericksburg.
|AmandaLay||Sun, May 8 1:00 PM||Female||20-29||Combination||Group of Friends|
We had a wonderful time on our tour. Allie was a fabulous tour guide!
Mother's day ride
|Diamondbabe||Sat, May 7 3:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Other|
Awsome....very well spoken about history and a little comedy as well...would definitely do this again
Mother's Day Tour
|ehpayne||Sat, May 7 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
Wonderful, educated tour guides! Had a great time and the popcorn was delicious!
Mother's day treat!
|Dikchya||Sat, May 7 1:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
I live in downtown Fredericksburg and I've always wanted to do one of these rides, and I finally had a chance in Mother's day. Me, mom, mother-in-law, and 6 month baby had a wonderful time. When my husband asked about the ride, I told him now I know why the baby likes to go out for a walk so much! I felt like we were in a big stroller watching pretty houses and neighborhood pass lazily. At the same time we got to know so many interesting tidbits about olde towne from our wonderful guide. I'm definitely doing one of this again with my husband.
Very much enjoyed it.
|Jclatterbuck||Fri, Apr 29 3:00 PM||Male||20-29||Combination||Couple on a Date|
Took my girlfriend on a tour the past Friday afternoon. She was ecstatic to see the horse Patricia who looked amazing. Our tour guide was well informed, friendly, and amazing at his job. We could tell he really enjoyed what he did. We learned a lot on this tour that we took back and told family about. It was also nice that we were the only people on that scheduled tour so it felt more private. Fantastic ride.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg responded:
Thank you for your review we appreciate the positive experiences!
|jdavis5221||Sun, Apr 24 4:00 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Great carriage tour of Fredericksburg. Very informative and entertaining for all ages. Highly recommend taking this tour.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg responded:
Thank you for your nice review we do try our best to entertain everyone from 1 to 99, which is not an easy task! Since most young children don't understand history, but sometime we are really surprised when we get a really junior historian. Kids are so smart!
|Kwaynemcleod||Fri, Apr 22 3:00 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
I would recommend this to anyone, the tour guide was very knowledgeable and me and my family had a great time.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended as tours often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Any remaining tickets will be sold on the day of the tour and can be purchased at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center Monday - Sunday.
- What happens in bad weather?
- Tours will generally run in most weather conditions with the exception of snow and extreme humidity. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel a tour, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability). However, please note for the safety of the animals, tours may also be delayed during extremely hot temperatures or humidity to allow animals additional rest time or suspended if the temperature or heat index reaches an unsafe level.
- What happens if we are late?
- Our tours leave right on time so we ask that you please arrive at the Carriage Stand located directly in front of the Fredericksburg Visitor Center at least 10 minutes before your tour time. Please be on time as tickets are non-refundable.
- What type of carriage do we ride in?
- We use two different wagonettes, these are built by the Amish. They are very smooth riding and comfortable, they both have a top to keep the sun off. If you are looking for the white vis-a-via this is available when you book a private ride.
- How many people can fit on your carriages?
- We use Amish built wagonettes and they are designed to carry 6 individuals this is inclusive of adults and children. Children under the age of three are considered lap children.
- What about children, can they come?
- Yes, children of all ages may attend and we do offer reduced-price tickets for children ages 4-10. Kids under the age of 4 can come for free as long as they are sitting in an adult's lap, but must be accounted for when purchasing your tickets by selecting a "Lap Child Extra." Should you wish for children under the age of 4 to have their own seat, you may purchase a Child ticket for them.
- Can we sit together?
- Seating on our group tours is on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Where is the best place to sit?
- The tops on the wagonettes are high enough that you can see all monuments, markers and attractions easily. And don't forget you can see behind you as well so if we pass something just look to the back of the wagonette and you won't miss a thing.
- Does the carriage stop and let individuals off to tour different sights?
- In an effort to keep the tour on schedule and minimize safety concerns, we do not let passengers on and off the carriage except at the designated carriage stand located at the beginning of the tour. We do, however, offer other step-on and step-off tours, so please check out our private tour options by clicking on the "List of All Activities" link to the left.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour concludes back at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center right where it began.
- Do you offer AAA, AARP, or senior discounts?
- Yes, please ask the ticketing agent. Discounts are not available through purchase from the Visitor Center only through advanced reservation.
- Should we tip our guide?
- Yes, this is a personal service and 15% to 20% is exceptable!
- How long does the tour last?
- These narrated group tours of the downtown historic district last 45 minutes. If you are looking for a longer tour of Frederickburg, please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our full and half day tours.
- Does the horse like his job?
- Carriage and draft horses are bred to work in harness. In fact, the exercise keeps them healthy. Horses even recognize, respond to and develop affection for their drivers.
- Does the pavement hurt his hooves?
- No, because he wears protective shoes and his hooves are made of the same substance as fingernails. The hooves are hard and they have no feeling on the outside.
- May I pet the horse?
- Each horse is different. Always ask the driver if it is safe to touch the horse.
- Can we feed the horses?
- We prefer that individuals do not feed the horses.
- How much weight can a horse pull?
- A horse can easily pull a wheeled vehicle that is six (6) times his own weight; however most carriage horses are used at only 25% of that capacity. But we limit the weight in the carriages to 800 lbs.
- Is it normal for a horse to sweat?
- Yes. It is a natural cooling process, just as it is with people. We do not take the horses out on very humid days because it is hard for the horses to cool down, their sweat does not evaporate and their bodies don't effectively cool. On days over 92 degrees and high humidity it is best to call ahead to make sure rides are not delayed.
- Can I bring food or drinks on board the carriage?
- Guests are welcome to bring a bottle of water with them, but we don't allow any other food or drinks on board the carriages.
- Are the carriages equipped for the handicapped? How do you board the carriage?
- Due to the age, size and authenticity of our carriages they are not currently ADA equipped. There is one step up into the carriage from the street which can be about 7-8 inches off the ground. It's up to the individual to determine whether they feel comfortable in boarding the carriage, but our staff is happy to assist individuals if needed.
- Can I store a stroller or wheelchair on the carriage?
- Unfortunately, we do not have room for you to store your stroller or wheelchair. Most of our guests choose to store their larger belongings in their cars during the tour.
- Can I bring a pet with me on the carriage?
- No, unfortunately due to insurance regulations, we are not allowed to have pets on board the carriages.
- Is there a bathroom available?
- There isn't time for a bathroom stop during the tour, but there are public restroom facilities available at the departure point. We suggest using those before or after your tour.
- Is there parking nearby the departure point?
- Yes, there are both public parking and city parking garages available near the departure point. Please be aware that street parking in the area is limited to 2 hours with the exception of Sundays.
- Can I do a private carriage tour?
- Yes, we do offer other tour options if you are interested in taking a tour with just a private group. Please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our other tour options.
- Can I book a carriage as part of my wedding?
- Sure! There's nothing more romantic than including a carriage in your wedding plans. To inquire about using a private carriage as part of your wedding transportation, please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link and let us know what you have in mind.
- Can I do a custom tour for a group?
- Yes, custom tours within the historic district are available for groups as well. Please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link to inquire further.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tours may be cancelled due to severe weather or delayed in extreme heat or humidity.
- These tours run in most weather conditions except for severe weather. For the safety of the horses, tours may be delayed during extremely hot temperatures to allow animals additional rest time or suspended if it's unsafe for the horses. In the case we are forced to cancel, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg
Even though we are small we are experts in our field with more than 40 years of horse experience and a total of 25 years of carriage driving experience.
We have several services to offer the public including historical tours of downtown Fredericksburg, carriage services for weddings, private rides and events. Our tours are very personal with one tour guide for every four to six people. We provide the most comfortable and relaxing tours in town.