If you take the ride in the later afternoon you will see the traditonal greeniery of old days, if you decide to take the later ride you will see the candles in the windows and houses decorated in Christmas Lights.
On this 50-minute carriage ride through historic downtown Fredericksburg, you will:
- Discover the beautiful holiday lights
- Learn some Christmas Trivia
- Listen to some holiday music
- Receive some holiday treats to take home
You'll learn how the holidays were practiced during the colonial and civil war periods. Very different from our holidays today.
And don't forget to bring some hot chocolate and warm blankets to round out your holiday experience.
Sharpen up on those Christmas Carols!
Please note we use both carriages and wagonettes for all of our rides during the holiday season they are assigned by number of individuals riding! We can not guarantee a specific vehicle.
Tips are appreciated! Our drivers give 100%!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|BnKlrI||Tue, Dec 30, 14 5:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
We enjoyed our ride, the commentary......Chris offered so much information about our town and fun facts. The ride was to begin at 5:00. Carriage didn't arrive until 5:10 and obviously didn't leave for several minutes after that. The ride was over by 5:50. But....having said that, it was a very cold night and we were still happy with the entire experience.
Nice way to see Fredericksburg
|mawilder2451||Mon, Dec 29, 14 5:00 PM||Male||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
Even though we're locals, we decided to take the carriage tour of Fredericksburg during the holiday season. This was a very nice way to see our town from a different perspective. A slow carriage ride allowed us to appreciate the holiday decorations and the beautiful homes in a whole new way. The driver, Austin, was very personable and he wisely allowed us to just soak up the atmosphere, without a lot of unnecesary chatter about historical facts that we already knew. This is the hallmark of a good guide--being sensitive and aware of the needs and interests of individual guests. All-in-all, this was a very pleasant and worthwhile experience. Thanks for adding to the enjoyment of our Christmas holidays.
|Tattootrucke||Sun, Dec 28, 14 8:00 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
This was a very enjoyable ride. The driver was very friendly and very knowledgeable of her job. The horse was beautiful. I would do this again at any time. My group had a wonderful time.
|cbeasley50||Sun, Dec 28, 14 5:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
This was a wonderful, wonderful time spent with friends. Even though it was after Christmas, we still felt a sense of Christmas spirit and loved seeing the older homes of Fredericksburg decorated that could not be appreciated from a car. Our driver, Olivia (I believe this was her name) was OUTSTANDING - personable, knowledgeable, treated us with a comfortable familiarity, even though we had just met her. Wonderful, wonderful experience....
|maryrumora1||Sun, Dec 28, 14 4:00 PM||Unspecified||60-69||Combination||Family Without Children|
Danielle was very knowledgeable and friendly. She made the experience most enjoyable.
Carriage ride for two people
|SuzanneWebst||Fri, Dec 26, 14 8:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had reserved a carriage ride on Christmas Eve and were requested to change the date due to the incoming weather (which we appreciated). We were re-scheduled for the day after Christmas at 8 p.m. The ride was for only my husband and me. Since it was the two of us, I had expected the smaller carriage that "looks" like a carriage, rather than a buckboard which we were given. We were not able to sit together like we would have liked. If we had, both of us wouldn't have been able to see both sides of the street. We were also in the second carriage (Buckboard) and followed maybe a foot behind another carriage which took away the effect. This also happened to us last year when we followed another carriage. I don't like to complain but when we pay $100.00 to have a carriage ride and it is only the two of us, I really expected it to be more romantic.
Better Than Expected
|sbanana24||Fri, Dec 26, 14 7:00 PM||Female||30-39||Combination||Family Without Children|
We surprised our mom with this carriage ride for Christmas. My parents have lived in the Fredericksburg area for 30+ years so I wasn't sure how much they would get out of this ride. It exceeded expectations! They are still talking about it! Our driver, Danielle, was wonderful and very knowledgeable. The horse was beautiful and we all learned so much and saw little gems around town we didn't know existed. I recommend this!
Lot's of fun
|JoyceColeman||Fri, Dec 26, 14 5:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Local||Family With Children|
Made great memories, my grandaughters enjoyed it so much and the adults as well, lot's of fun for all ages, I highly recommend it.
The carriage ride was fun and enjoyable for all.
|EileenCarson||Fri, Dec 26, 14 4:00 PM||Female||70+||Combination||Family With Children|
Our group seemed to enjoy the leisurely ride through Fredericksburg. The kids seemed to like it and we as adults did as well.
94 ya old mother in law for the ride.with family
|DonnaKidd||Fri, Dec 26, 14 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
My mother in law remembers of younger years when her father use to take her to school on horse and buggy. She called it a surrey! . The smiles and piece full face worth every penny!. We plan to return for summer civil war tour. Tour guide is an awesome lady and driver. So much history so close to home 1hr. Away. I would recommend to anyone to go. Time goes by too fast that's how enjoyably the ride is.
- Is Santa Claus on this Ride?
- Santa Claus is not available on this ride, if you would like an experience with Santa Claus please reserve our Santa Experience!
- Is this a Historical Tour?
- No, this is time for you to spend with your family to get into the Christmas Spirit, however if something catches your attention please feel free to ask the driver questions, they will be more than happy to answer any questions.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- All Jingle Bell rides are purchased in advance as rides often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance.
- How many people can fit on your carriages?
- We have multiple carriages with different capacities, so when purchasing your ticket, please select the carriage that is appropriate for your group. Our Vis-a-vis carriage can hold a total of 6 individuals with a maximum of 4 adults. Our Wagonette carriages can hold a total of 8 individuals with a maximum of 6 adults, this depends on the size of the adults (an adult weighing between 100 to 180 lbs.). Please note for determining capacity, an adult would be considered anyone age 11 and up.
- Is my group alone on the carriage?
- Yes, these rides are for private groups. When you buy your ticket you are purchasing use of the entire carriage for your group.
- What happens in bad weather?
- These rides will generally run in most weather conditions including light snow, but cannot run in icy conditions. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel a ride, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- What happens if we are late?
- Our tours leave right on time so we ask that you please arrive at the Carriage Stand located directly in front of the Fredericksburg Visitor Center at least 10 minutes before your tour time. Please be on time as tickets are non-refundable.
- What about children, can they come?
- Yes, children of all ages may attend. Since you are purchasing the entire carriage for your group please remember to count the total number of passengers in your group, including children.
- Where is the best place to sit?
- Many times the carriage has the top down and our wagonetts have high tops so all monuments, markers and attractions are easily seen. If the weather is not good the carriage top goes up but all seats still have a clear view of all attractions.
- Does the carriage stop and let individuals off to tour different sights?
- In an effort to keep the ride on schedule and minimize safety concerns, we do not let passengers on and off the carriage except at the designated carriage stand located at the beginning of the tour. We do, however, offer other step-on and step-off tours, so please check out our private tour options by clicking on the "List of All Activities" link to the left.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour concludes back at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center right where it began.
- Should we tip the driver?
- Yes, this is considered a personal service so it is appropriate to tip 15% to 20%.
- Do you offer AAA, AARP, or senior discounts?
- Yes we do offer a senior and military discount please ask about the discount when reserving your ride.
- How long does the ride last?
- These group rides of the downtown historic district last 50 minutes, but please allow another 10 minutes to load and unload carriage. If you are looking for a tour of Fredericksburg, please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our other activities.
- Does the horse like his job?
- Carriage and draft horses are bred to work in harness. In fact, the exercise keeps them healthy. Horses even recognize, respond to and develop affection for their drivers.
- Does the pavement hurt his hooves?
- No, because he wears protective shoes and his hooves are made of the same substance as fingernails. The hooves are hard and they have no feeling on the outside.
- May I pet the horse?
- Each horse is different. Always ask the driver if it is safe to touch the horse.
- Can we feed the horses?
- We prefer that individuals do not feed the horses.
- How much weight can a horse pull?
- A horse can easily pull a wheeled vehicle that is six (6) times his own weight; however most carriage horses are used at only 25% of that capacity. But we limit the weight in the carriages to 800 lbs.
- Can I bring food or drinks on board the carriage?
- Normally we only allow guests to bring a bottle of water with them, but because of the special occasion and holiday spirit we give out gourmet popcorn (but ask to wait and eat it after the ride) and allow hot drinks as long as they have lids on the container.
- Are the carriages equipped for the handicapped? How do you board the carriage?
- Due to the age, size and authenticity of our carriages they are not currently ADA equipped. There is one step up into the carriage from the street which can be about 7-8 inches off the ground. It's up to the individual to determine whether they feel comfortable in boarding the carriage, but our staff is happy to assist individuals if needed.
- Can I store a stroller or wheelchair on the carriage?
- Unfortunately, we do not have room for you to store your stroller or wheelchair. Most of our guests choose to store their larger belongings in their cars during the tour.
- Can I bring a pet with me on the carriage?
- No, unfortunately due to insurance regulations, we are not allowed to have pets on board the carriages.
- Is there a bathroom available?
- There isn't time for a bathroom stop during the tour, but there are public restroom facilities available at the departure point. We suggest using those before or after your tour. Please keep in mind the public restrooms close at 7pm.
- Is there parking nearby the departure point?
- Yes, there are both public parking and city parking garages available near the departure point. Please be aware that street parking in the area is limited to 2 hours with the exception of Sundays.
- Can I book a carriage as part of my wedding?
- Sure! There's nothing more romantic than including a carriage in your wedding plans. To inquire about using a private carriage as part of your wedding transportation, please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link and let us know what you have in mind.
- Can I do a custom tour for a group?
- Yes, custom tours within the historic district are available for groups as well. Please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link to inquire further.
- What is the difference between a Wagonette and a Carriage?
- The carriage with two seats that face each other and a seat on the back that faces backwards. A Wagonette is a more traditional fringe top surrey with two bench seats on the side that face each other.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tours may be cancelled due to severe or icy weather.
- These events run in most weather conditions, except for severe weather or icy conditions. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel an event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg
Even though we are small we are experts in our field with more than 40 years of horse experience and a total of 25 years of carriage driving experience.
We have several services to offer the public including historical tours of downtown Fredericksburg, carriage services for weddings, private rides and events. Our tours are very personal with one tour guide for every four to six people. We provide the most comfortable and relaxing tours in town.