As you travel throw the historic streets during the day you will see the traditonal greeniery of old days; if you decide to take the later ride you may see both the traditonal candles in the windows and homes decorated in Christmas Lights.
On this 60-minute carriage ride through historic downtown Fredericksburg, you will:
- Discover the beautiful decorated store windows and the traditional early American Christmas Decor
- Learn some Christmas Trivia
- Listen to some holiday music
- Receive some holiday treats to take home
You'll learn how the holidays were practiced during the colonial and civil war periods. Very different from our holidays today.
And don't forget to bring some hot chocolate and warm blankets to round out your holiday experience.
Sharpen up on those Christmas Carols!
Please note we use both carriages and wagonettes for all of our rides during the holiday season they are assigned by number of individuals riding! We can not guarantee a specific vehicle.
The maximium number of seats are six per carriage.
Tips are appreciated! Our drivers give 100%!
What Is Not Included?
Gratuity, our tour guides appricate tips!
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
2nd time and loved it just as much as the first!
|BnKlrI||Thu, Dec 31, 15 5:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
Jake was very knowledgeable and Tony was very kind to allow the little girls to pet him. We enjoyed very much. And we appreciate the lack of rain `:)
Great Family Fun
|borncsa||Wed, Dec 30, 15 8:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
My family really had a blast. We will plan on doing this again in the future.
Loved the carriage ride!
|Taylorjodi31||Tue, Dec 29, 15 6:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We had a great experience on our first family carriage ride. Our guide Austin was really so nice and very knowledgable. He even kept our 6 and 7 year olds entertained. He was also nice enough to recommend a nice local restaurant for us to dine at, which was a perfect fit for what we wanted. Overall a great experience, which will be a new family tradition.
|vashoedude||Mon, Dec 28, 15 8:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Individual|
I would recommend and come back!!!!!
Great night! Great experience! Will do it again.
|Lakuna||Sat, Dec 26, 15 7:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
At first we were disappointed because all of the Christmas Eve slits were booked. However, the weather was better the night after Christmas, in the end, worked in our favor. The guide was great and we learned a lot about the rich history of Fredericksburg. The historic homes are just beautiful at night, especially when they are all lit up and decorated for the season. This will now be an annual tradition for us!
|Aheflin||Sat, Dec 26, 15 5:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Family With Children|
I love the lights but more so learning about the history of my own town and were kind of window shopping started!!
Fun time for child's birthday!
|rbsegal||Sat, Dec 26, 15 4:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
We enjoyed our experience. Our guide was nice and the tour was informative. Our 4 year old and 6 year old enjoyed it very much. I would not recommend it for babies or toddlers, however.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg responded:
Thank you for your review, we agree with in regards to the babies and toddlers, it is very hard for them to sit still for a 50 minute ride. We do offer the Santa (45 mins in a carriage, he is great at keeping their attention) Grinch and Olaf rides which are 10 to 15 mins long just perfect for the little ones.
Two things happen with the little ones they either fall asleep (which is nice) or they loose their attention about 15 mins into the trip (which doesn't bother us in the least) but mom or dad end up trying to entertain the wee ones so they can enjoy it as much. Thanks for coming and we hope to see you again next year!!!!!1
A delightful Christmas trot through Fredericksburg
|PhyllisGadd||Thu, Dec 24, 15 4:00 PM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
This is the way to learn the history of Fredericksburg. Jake, our driver, was very knowledgeable about its history, and we found it all very interesting. Because it was a late afternoon ride, we got to see everything in daylight, then see the pretty lights and store windows at the end. It was way too short. Wish it could have been an hour instead of 35 minutes.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg responded:
Thank you for your review, we love what you wrote because most people don't realize that the ride is as beautiful during the day as it is in the evening. Most houses have lots of greenery on them.
Enjoyed ride - was a Christmas gift to my family.
|DonnaL56||Wed, Dec 23, 15 8:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
We really enjoyed the Christmas ride through Fredericksburg. The homes were decorated beautifully for Christmas time and we were given historical facts along the way that were interesting. The only thing that made me a little nervous was the fact that some cars were driving too fast around us (especially on Caroline Street) and would come up quickly on our carriage and switch lanes. The carriage was clearly marked with red lights, but people need to have more respect for the horses and carriages. I would definitely take a carriage ride again.
|KellyEbert||Mon, Dec 21, 15 6:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
We so much enjoyed the ride. The driver was so courteous and we enjoyed his explanations of historical places we passed during the ride. The mood was low key which was great for us (all over 50), the pace was just right, and all in all, so much worth it. We look forward to doing this again! Thank you for a great festive treat!! Thanks also to Patricia - our horse! She was wonderful!
- Is Santa Claus on this Ride?
- Santa Claus is not available on this ride, if you would like an experience with Santa Claus please reserve our Santa Experience!
- Is this a Historical Tour?
- No, this is time for you to spend with your family to get into the Christmas Spirit, however if something catches your attention please feel free to ask the driver questions, they will be more than happy to answer any questions.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- All Jingle Bell rides are purchased in advance as rides often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance.
- How many people can fit on your carriages?
- On the Jingle Bell Carriage Ride we only offer one size carriage, which holds a maximum of 6 seats, inclusive of adults and children. We allow 2 lap children. Please keep in mind that a child who is 4 and older is no longer considered a lap child and therefore will need a seat on the carriage.
- Is my group alone on the carriage?
- Yes, these rides are for private groups. When you buy your ticket you are purchasing use of the entire carriage for your group.
- What happens in bad weather?
- These rides will generally run in most weather conditions including light snow, but cannot run in icy conditions. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel a ride, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- What happens if we are late?
- Our tours leave right on time so we ask that you please arrive at the Carriage Stand located directly in front of the Fredericksburg Visitor Center at least 10 minutes before your tour time. Please be on time as tickets are non-refundable.
- What about children, can they come?
- Yes, children of all ages may attend. Since you are purchasing the entire carriage for your group please remember to count the total number of passengers in your group, there should only be a max of 6 seats this includes children.
- Where is the best place to sit?
- Many times the carriage has the top down and our wagonetts have high tops so all monuments, markers and attractions are easily seen. If the weather is not good the carriage top goes up but all seats still have a clear view of all attractions.
- Does the carriage stop and let individuals off to tour different sights?
- In an effort to keep the ride on schedule and minimize safety concerns, we do not let passengers on and off the carriage except at the designated carriage stand located at the beginning of the tour. We do, however, offer other step-on and step-off tours, so please check out our private tour options by clicking on the "List of All Activities" link to the left.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour concludes back at the Fredericksburg Visitor Center right where it began.
- Should we tip the driver?
- Yes, this is considered a personal service so it is appropriate to tip 15% to 20%.
- Do you offer AAA, AARP, or senior discounts?
- Yes we do offer a senior and military discount please ask about the discount when reserving your ride.
- How long does the ride last?
- These group rides of the downtown historic district last 50 minutes, but please allow another 10 minutes to load and unload carriage. If you are looking for a tour of Fredericksburg, please click on the "List of All Activities" link to the left to check out our other activities.
- Does the horse like his job?
- Carriage and draft horses are bred to work in harness. In fact, the exercise keeps them healthy. Horses even recognize, respond to and develop affection for their drivers.
- Does the pavement hurt his hooves?
- No, because he wears protective shoes and his hooves are made of the same substance as fingernails. The hooves are hard and they have no feeling on the outside.
- May I pet the horse?
- Each horse is different. Always ask the driver if it is safe to touch the horse.
- Can we feed the horses?
- We prefer that individuals do not feed the horses.
- How much weight can a horse pull?
- A horse can easily pull a wheeled vehicle that is six (6) times his own weight; however most carriage horses are used at only 25% of that capacity. But we limit the weight in the carriages to 800 lbs. However we limit the carriages to six seats this includes children, we allow for two lap children under the age of three.
- Can I bring food or drinks on board the carriage?
- Normally we only allow guests to bring a bottle of water with them, but because of the special occasion and holiday spirit we give out gourmet popcorn (but ask to wait and eat it after the ride) and allow hot drinks as long as they have lids on the container.
- Are the carriages equipped for the handicapped? How do you board the carriage?
- Due to the age, size and authenticity of our carriages they are not currently ADA equipped. There is one step up into the carriage from the street which can be about 7-8 inches off the ground. It's up to the individual to determine whether they feel comfortable in boarding the carriage, but our staff is happy to assist individuals if needed.
- Can I store a stroller or wheelchair on the carriage?
- Unfortunately, we do not have room for you to store your stroller or wheelchair. Most of our guests choose to store their larger belongings in their cars during the tour.
- Can I bring a pet with me on the carriage?
- No, unfortunately due to insurance regulations, we are not allowed to have pets on board the carriages.
- Is there a bathroom available?
- There isn't time for a bathroom stop during the tour, but there are public restroom facilities available at the departure point. We suggest using those before or after your tour. Please keep in mind the public restrooms close at 7pm.
- Is there parking nearby the departure point?
- Yes, there are both public parking and city parking garages available near the departure point. Please be aware that street parking in the area is limited to 2 hours with the exception of Sundays.
- Can I book a carriage as part of my wedding?
- Sure! There's nothing more romantic than including a carriage in your wedding plans. To inquire about using a private carriage as part of your wedding transportation, please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link and let us know what you have in mind.
- Can I do a custom tour for a group?
- Yes, custom tours within the historic district are available for groups as well. Please click on the "Contact FredCarriage" link to inquire further.
- What is the difference between a Wagonette and a Carriage?
- The carriage with two seats that face each other and a seat on the back that faces backwards. A Wagonette is a more traditional fringe top surrey with two bench seats on the side that face each other.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tours may be cancelled due to severe or icy weather.
- These events run in most weather conditions, except for severe weather or icy conditions. In the rare case where we are forced to cancel an event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
Olde Towne Carriage Tours of Fredericksburg
Even though we are small we are experts in our field with more than 40 years of horse experience and a total of 25 years of carriage driving experience.
We have several services to offer the public including historical tours of downtown Fredericksburg, carriage services for weddings, private rides and events. Our tours are very personal with one tour guide for every four to six people. We provide the most comfortable and relaxing tours in town.