Tours include special access and experiences that go far beyond the normal dining encounter. Not only do you get to meet the chefs and sample their creations, but you also get to see cooking demonstrations (usually offered on Tuesday tours), eat in elegant private dining areas, and more.
Stops include visits to:
- Nose Dive (Gastropub)
- Soby's on the Side (Deli and Catering)*
- The Lazy Goat (Mediterranean cuisine and tapas)
- Soby's New South Cuisine (fine Southern cuisine)
- Passarelle Bistro (French inspired cuisine)
*For this tour, we are able to accommodate your food allergy (shellfish, gluten-free, etc.) and dietary requests (vegan, etc.)as long as you let us know in advance.
(*If a restaurant has a schedule conflict, a stop at The Loft at Soby's or Papi's Tacos may be substituted. )
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Michelini||Tue, May 19 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Wonderful food, chefs very attentive, guide tried very hard to make sure everyone was well taken care of
excellent tour and food
|GreenvilleN||Tue, May 19 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Very interesting historical info on Greenville.
Good food. Enjoyed the new juice bar.
Excellent Culinary tour
|Michigancher||Tue, May 19 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
John Nolan was excellent as our Greenville Culinary Tour guide. He was very informative and helpful. His knowledge of the past as it relates to Greenville was interesting. I would highly recommend taking this tour.
Great food and plenty of it!
|mik1947||Tue, May 12 6:00 PM||Male||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Our tour was great! The food prepared for us was outstanding and the portions were larger than expected! Mix that with the fascinating history of Greenville and we had a very enjoyable evening out!
Great evening event.
|mitchcrisp||Tue, May 5 6:00 PM||Male||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
A lot of fun, good either as a group or to meet others on tour. Excellent value.
A great way to learn about Greenville and eat well
|Williamowen||Sat, May 2 1:30 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We had a party of three, one local and three visitors from Georgia. Everyone enjoyed this tour immensely. The restaurants were close together, the food was interesting and great, the chefs and staff were personable and informative, and the tour guide was very knowledgeable. The cost is very reasonable for what is delivered. I highly recommend this tour.
One of the best food tours ever
|skappleton||Sat, May 2 1:30 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Having taken several food tours in many cities around this country, I would highly recommend this food tour for the quality and quantity of food. The Tour leader was knowledgeable and friendly.
|keeda1212||Sat, Apr 25 1:30 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
My friend and I had a very nice time, thought the weather was going to be bad, so we was hesitant about going but the weather held up great and we enjoyed the tour. The food was amazing, the chefs were informative about their restaurant history, about their food and very passionate about their food. We enjoyed ourself a hundred percent. Also I will be back to Soby's for some crab cakes!!!
History and food...excellent tour
|Walkergirl76||Sat, Apr 25 1:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Other|
My sister and I took this tour for her birthday. We loved it. John was an excellent tour guide, personable, friendly, and attentive. He included some history of Greenville along with the food tour. He even had old photos to give us an idea of how Greenville looked in it's early days. It was great to get a little history along with our Culinary tour. This tour was different from others we have been on in that at each stop we got to talk with the chef of each restaurant. There was so much food that by the end, we were too full to enjoy our dessert. I suggest eating only half of each dish you are served.
Lots of fun!
|SaraOden||Tue, Apr 21 6:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
Delicious food combined with a little history. Plenty of time to chat, eat, and enjoy.
- What is a Greenville Culinary Tour?
- We offer individual and group tours year-round, bringing people who love food and adventure together for special walking tours to Greenville’s best eating establishments. Tours are focused on food and drink tastings, but also include aspects of Greenville's history, architecture and culture.
- Where do I go on a Greenville Culinary Tour?
- Each tour covers restaurants found in the Central Business District of downtown Greenville. If you’re passionate about food, what you see, and who you meet, you will love participating in Greenville Culinary Tours. You will enjoy multiple cuisines on each tour.
- How long in advance can tickets be purchased?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance before 10 a.m. the day of the event. Because preparations must be made ahead of time by the restaurants, we will not be able to provide refunds after a purchase is made. Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone.
- What kind of places do we go to on the tour?
- Tours cover places to eat from Greenville’s high-end restaurants to bistros with casual dining. We will stop at anywhere from 4-5 different places and spend 20-30 minutes at each location (depending on the tour). Our tours are a combination of eating, socializing, learning about foods and ingredients and their preparation, special access to behind-the-scenes places, sightseeing, and history. You will meet people and access places that you would never get to on a normal dining experience.
- How much will I eat during the course of the tour?
- The food served will essentially be constituted of four appetizer sized portions of food and a dessert. The amount of food received on the tour will be the equivalent of a full meal for most people. Whatever you are not able to finish you can take home with you.
- Will drinks be provided?
- Yes, tastes of hand-crafted drinks (every stop will offer non-alcoholic options and some alcoholic options may also be offered) are included in the price and are available at multiple stops throughout the tour. You may also purchase drinks at the restaurants' bars or from the servers. Certain drinks can be a great compliment to dishes you will try and servers can make suggestions for proper pairings at your request. Non-alcoholic tours for private groups may be scheduled upon request.
- Do we know where we will be eating?
- The standard venues for the "At the Chef's Table" tour will be Soby's on the Side, Nose Dive, The Lazy Goat, Soby's New South Cuisine, and Passarelle Bistro. Occasionally another venue may take the place of one of these.
- What about special dietary needs?
- If you have food allergies or have special dietary requests (vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian, etc.), you must specify your needs clearly in a Message to the seller at the time of purchasing tickets. Not all tours and/or venues will be able to accommodate special dietary requests. Generally, the food served is meant to cater to people who enjoy a wide variety of tastes, styles, and fresh ingredients of cooking.
- What should I wear?
- Nice casual or business casual clothing is appropriate. High-heels are discouraged for ladies as we will be walking from location to location. In the summer and winter months, dress appropriately as we will spend a total of about 40 minutes outside between venues.
- What is the minimum and maximum capacity for culinary tours?
- All tours have a minimum requirement of six people and a maximum limit of twenty people. If only five or less people are signed up the day before a tour is scheduled, we will try to reschedule you or the tour will be canceled and ticket charges will be refunded.
- How much walking will there be?
- Restaurants will all be within a 1/4 mile total radius. This is a part walking tour and you will learn about the rich history of Greenville between and at each location as part of your experience.
- Are there age restrictions for the tours?
- Yes, the tour may not be appropriate for small children. Generally, children above twelve years old are most appropriate for the tour. We also welcome parents to bring infants under 1 year of age at no extra charge. Note that strollers are discouraged since there are stairs and multiple levels at each venue, so a Bjorn would be ideal for infants.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- The nature of some of the special access portions of the tour might involve stair-only access. There are also a number of historic buildings without elevator or lift access. Unfortunately, wheelchair access will not be possible to accommodate on this tour.
- Are tours offered in inclimate weather?
- Tours will be held rain, snow or shine. Please bring your own umbrella in case of the possibility of rain. Portions of the tour normally held outside will be minimized and brought indoors.
- Can you accommodate private group tours?
- Private group tours of up to 20 people outside of regularly scheduled tour times can be arranged with advanced notice of two weeks, based on availability. If interested, click on the "Contact GVLTours" link to make a request.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Culinary tours are great gifts to give year-round for birthdays, anniversaries, birthday and Christmas presents, etc. In order to purchase a gift certificate, please contact Greenville History Tours directly at 864-567-3940. Payments can be made by check or cash only. We can send the gift certificate to you by mail for your convenience.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tour may not be appropriate for small children.
- Generally, children above 12 years old are most appropriate for the tour. Parents may bring infants under 1 year of age at no charge (no ticket required), but all other children over 1 year of age must have a ticket in order to attend. Note that strollers are discouraged since there are stairs and multiple levels at each venue.
Greenville History Tours
Some of the city's top chefs will dazzle you with their delicious culinary creations.