Tours include special access and experiences that go far beyond the normal dining encounter. Not only do you get to meet the chefs and sample their creations, but you also get to see cooking demonstrations (usually offered on Tuesday tours), eat in elegant private dining areas, and more.
Stops include visits to:
- Nose Dive (Gastropub)
- Soby's on the Side (Deli and Catering)*
- The Lazy Goat (Mediterranean cuisine and tapas)
- Soby's New South Cuisine (fine Southern cuisine)
- Passarelle Bistro (French inspired cuisine)
*For this tour, we are able to accommodate your food allergy (shellfish, gluten-free, etc.) and dietary requests (vegan, etc.)as long as you let us know in advance.
(*If a restaurant has a schedule conflict, a stop at The Loft at Soby's or Papi's Tacos may be substituted. )
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
A Wonderful Experience!
|winterineden||Sat, Jun 20 1:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
This is the second time I've taken a group on one of these tours, the first time with out of town friends, and this time with family. Both groups loved the experience, from the food and drinks, to talking with the chefs, fun folks in the group to chat with, and on to our knowledgeable guide's history lessons. Besides being a fun outing, this is also great advertisement for the establishments we visited, as we plan on coming back to sample more of their creative and delicious offerings. I'm already planning my next tour!
Best value "foodie/gourmet" tour ever!
|radiodave||Tue, Jun 16 6:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This tour totally rocks! You get outstanding fare, great history on Greenville, and a lovely walking our of downtown Greenville, all led by a knowledgeable, engaging guide. The Zerve system for reserving tickets, though, can be intimidating and a bit nerve-wracking.....e.g. the various Zerve non-user-friendly requirements for printing tickets or having them on your mobile phone turned out to be unnecessary....we were not even asked for tickets.....just our names. In sum, the tour totally rocks, but don't let the Zerve reservation system get in the way of the fabulous time you will have on this tour.
Fun & delicious
|Sunshinesc||Sat, Jun 13 1:30 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Individual|
Never been on a food tour before so had no idea what to expect. Entertaining from beginning to end. Loved meeting the chefs & experiencing different food & specialty drinks. My Mother accompanied me & we thoroughly enjoyed everything. The different restaurants were all a little different serving a specialty food & drink. Each stop was delicious! Soby's on the Side was my favorite. chef Randy was so passionate about what he does & loved the plate he prepared for us the best. Our tour guide John did an amazing job & he added a little Down town Greenville history along the walk. Was very interesting & educational as well. I have already recommended this tour to my friends & can't wait to do it again.
A nice experience, but a bit underwhelming
|GeetarNMando||Tue, Jun 9 6:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Really liked our tour guide, and the first stop (in the chef's kitchen). The rest of the stops were okay.
Loved the evening!
|nield1||Tue, Jun 9 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Had a wonderful time ( in spite of the weather!) Our guide and hosts were professional and enthusiastic.If I had a concern at all, it is that ,for me, there was too much food considering we were to experience 5 restaurants.I was driving that eve, and felt the ( generous gesture and delicious) drinks were too large-- the sample of beer at Nose Dive was just that- a sample, well described and delicious. I would like to have had just a taste, felt bad leaving almost all of the drinks. ( perhaps we could have "DD" on our name tag to let the hosts know to serve the drinks in a shot glass.
Will be enjoying this with family and friends in the future. Also tried the new juice bar the other day with my 12 year old granddaughter.Well done! The young people working there continue to exhibit charm, talent and enthusiasm that one expects - and receives- with all the Soby's businesses..
Good food and drink
|Frattinger||Tue, Jun 9 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Our first stop was Soby's on the side. We were treated to watching our dishes prepared in their kitchen. Their dish was excellent. All the food was wonderful. The Nose Dive and Passerelle's were very noisy. Although their food was good, I couldn't wait to get outside.
Great way to sample wonderful restaurants!
|susanna1357||Tue, Jun 9 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
My husband and I had done this tour previously and thought it was wonderful. So I encouraged friends to go as a group, and four girlfriends accompanied me on the next tour -- just as wonderful as the first and with different menu items and beverages. We all loved it.
|bobcowman||Tue, Jun 9 6:00 PM||Male||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
|Michelini||Tue, May 19 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Wonderful food, chefs very attentive, guide tried very hard to make sure everyone was well taken care of
excellent tour and food
|GreenvilleN||Tue, May 19 6:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Very interesting historical info on Greenville.
Good food. Enjoyed the new juice bar.
- What is a Greenville Culinary Tour?
- We offer individual and group tours year-round, bringing people who love food and adventure together for special walking tours to Greenville’s best eating establishments. Tours are focused on food and drink tastings, but also include aspects of Greenville's history, architecture and culture.
- Where do I go on a Greenville Culinary Tour?
- Each tour covers restaurants found in the Central Business District of downtown Greenville. If you’re passionate about food, what you see, and who you meet, you will love participating in Greenville Culinary Tours. You will enjoy multiple cuisines on each tour.
- How long in advance can tickets be purchased?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance before 10 a.m. the day of the event. Because preparations must be made ahead of time by the restaurants, we will not be able to provide refunds after a purchase is made. Tickets can be purchased online or over the phone.
- What kind of places do we go to on the tour?
- Tours cover places to eat from Greenville’s high-end restaurants to bistros with casual dining. We will stop at anywhere from 4-5 different places and spend 20-30 minutes at each location (depending on the tour). Our tours are a combination of eating, socializing, learning about foods and ingredients and their preparation, special access to behind-the-scenes places, sightseeing, and history. You will meet people and access places that you would never get to on a normal dining experience.
- How much will I eat during the course of the tour?
- The food served will essentially be constituted of four appetizer sized portions of food and a dessert. The amount of food received on the tour will be the equivalent of a full meal for most people. Whatever you are not able to finish you can take home with you.
- Will drinks be provided?
- Yes, tastes of hand-crafted drinks (every stop will offer non-alcoholic options and some alcoholic options may also be offered) are included in the price and are available at multiple stops throughout the tour. You may also purchase drinks at the restaurants' bars or from the servers. Certain drinks can be a great compliment to dishes you will try and servers can make suggestions for proper pairings at your request. Non-alcoholic tours for private groups may be scheduled upon request.
- Do we know where we will be eating?
- The standard venues for the "At the Chef's Table" tour will be Soby's on the Side, Nose Dive, The Lazy Goat, Soby's New South Cuisine, and Passarelle Bistro. Occasionally another venue may take the place of one of these.
- What about special dietary needs?
- If you have food allergies or have special dietary requests (vegan, gluten-free, vegetarian, etc.), you must specify your needs clearly in a Message to the seller at the time of purchasing tickets. Not all tours and/or venues will be able to accommodate special dietary requests. Generally, the food served is meant to cater to people who enjoy a wide variety of tastes, styles, and fresh ingredients of cooking.
- What should I wear?
- Nice casual or business casual clothing is appropriate. High-heels are discouraged for ladies as we will be walking from location to location. In the summer and winter months, dress appropriately as we will spend a total of about 40 minutes outside between venues.
- What is the minimum and maximum capacity for culinary tours?
- All tours have a minimum requirement of six people and a maximum limit of twenty people. If only five or less people are signed up the day before a tour is scheduled, we will try to reschedule you or the tour will be canceled and ticket charges will be refunded.
- How much walking will there be?
- Restaurants will all be within a 1/4 mile total radius. This is a part walking tour and you will learn about the rich history of Greenville between and at each location as part of your experience.
- Are there age restrictions for the tours?
- Yes, the tour may not be appropriate for small children. Generally, children above twelve years old are most appropriate for the tour. We also welcome parents to bring infants under 1 year of age at no extra charge. Note that strollers are discouraged since there are stairs and multiple levels at each venue, so a Bjorn would be ideal for infants.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- The nature of some of the special access portions of the tour might involve stair-only access. There are also a number of historic buildings without elevator or lift access. Unfortunately, wheelchair access will not be possible to accommodate on this tour.
- Are tours offered in inclimate weather?
- Tours will be held rain, snow or shine. Please bring your own umbrella in case of the possibility of rain. Portions of the tour normally held outside will be minimized and brought indoors.
- Can you accommodate private group tours?
- Private group tours of up to 20 people outside of regularly scheduled tour times can be arranged with advanced notice of two weeks, based on availability. If interested, click on the "Contact GVLTours" link to make a request.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Culinary tours are great gifts to give year-round for birthdays, anniversaries, birthday and Christmas presents, etc. In order to purchase a gift certificate, please contact Greenville History Tours directly at 864-567-3940. Payments can be made by check or cash only. We can send the gift certificate to you by mail for your convenience.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Tour may not be appropriate for small children.
- Generally, children above 12 years old are most appropriate for the tour. Parents may bring infants under 1 year of age at no charge (no ticket required), but all other children over 1 year of age must have a ticket in order to attend. Note that strollers are discouraged since there are stairs and multiple levels at each venue.
Greenville History Tours
Some of the city's top chefs will dazzle you with their delicious culinary creations.