Massachusetts Avenue is a prominent commercial boulevard crossing a grid of residential, commercial and industrial buildings that developed mainly throughout the 19th century. The area is also home to an expanding food scene, hosting nearly two dozen locally owned restaurants. The restaurants throughout the area are a combination of long standing local favorites dating back to the 1800's and new hot spots embracing the culinary traditions of the area.
Your food tour may include the following tastings:
- Vegan friendly free trade cuisine
- High end Midwestern inspired dishes
- Traditional German cuisine and drinks
- An Indianapolis' indigenous sandwich
- A sampling of local beers in downtown's only brewery
- Hand crafted desserts that utilize local produce
- James Whitcomb Riley home
- Historic Murat Theater
- Real Silk Lofts
- Stouts - the nation's oldest shoe store
- The Athenaeum - (Das Deutche Haus) home of the Rathskeller, the oldest and longest running restaurant in Indianapolis
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance as tours usually sell out ahead of time. To maximize your chances of getting your desired day, time, and number of tickets, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or AMEX. Cash is not accepted.
- How much food is served on the tour?
- There are 4-5 stops on the tour where you will be served small specialty meals. For most people this is enough food that dinner afterwards is not necessary.
- What types of foods are served on the tour?
- We will stop at 4-5 sit down restaurants during the tour. The types of food at the restaurants include German, High End American, Pub Style specialties and delicious desserts. Food tasting locations may change without notice.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- Please let us know if anyone in your group has a dietary restriction (e.g. vegetarian, diabetic, etc.) when you purchase your tickets. As long as we know well enough in advance, we can often accommodate your needs. If we do not find out about the special needs until the day of the tour, it is usually not possible for us to appropriately adjust the food on the tour.
- How much walking is involved? Is it a fast-paced tour?
- We are on our feet for approximately half of the tour. We cover a good deal of information yet walk at a comfortable pace. We sit at most restaurants for 15-20 minutes each. However, this is a walking tour so remember to wear comfortable shoes.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Unfortunately, due to Indiana state law, participants under the age of 21 are not allowed as a pub will be visited during the tour. However, Mass Ave tours can be customized to accommodate children, but you would need to touch base with Taste Indy Food Tours directly to set this up.
- If I am bringing an infant/very young child, do I need to purchase a ticket for them?
- If you are bringing children below the age of 7 and they will not be participating in the tastings, you do not need to purchase tickets for them. All other participants will be required to have a ticket. However, please do let us know if you will be attending with an infant or young child when you purchase tickets.
- Are there any beverages served on the tour?
- Each restaurant will serve water with each meal. There may be coffee or tea with dessert, and alcohol may be included at 1 or 2 stops for those 21 years and older. Any other beverage that guests wish to have will be a la carte.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at all restaurants.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Our tour does cover some uneven terrain and the restaurants we visit can change from time to time. If you or another guest needs wheelchair access, please click on "Contact IndyFoodTour" to contact us in advance. We will work to accommodate you.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Absolutely not! Aside from sampling delicious food, you will also experience life as we traverse the streets of the Mass Ave area in Indianapolis. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss the history, culture, architecture and entertainment that Mass Ave has to offer.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain or shine. In the event of inclement weather, we will be able to go inside many of the establishments on the tour. We will not be outdoors for the entire tour, but you should still dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Yes, although it is not mandatory, guide gratuities are certainly appreciated.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The tour finishes within the same vicinity as where it starts. Additionally, each participant will receive a map and specific directions at the beginning of the tour in order to gain familiarity with the area.
- Is there parking nearby?
- Yes, there is a parking garage located near the starting point of the tour. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions which you will receive after purchasing your ticket(s).
- Are there gift certificates available for the tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and make an ideal gift for any occasion! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact IndyFoodTour" link to make a request.
- Can I book a private tour?
- Yes, private tours are available. To inquire about booking a private group tour, please click on the "Contact IndyFoodTour" link.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants must be 21 years of age to attend
- Valid ID will be required.
Taste Indy Food Tours
Food Tour Corporation has worked to develop a product that benefits the customers, the restaurants, and each city simultaneously. In order to make sure that happens, our food tours are created to be a striking harmony of a neighborhood's local cuisine, history and architecture. The food we serve accurately reflects both the people and history of each neighborhood as much as possible.
Since the right combination is not easily achieved, we work to carefully develop each food tour in order to ensure the creation of a true culinary experience. The dishes you will be served on our food tours are offered in a logical manner, layering flavors, textures, and tastes throughout the tour. Our food tours celebrate the fine things in life and are created for people who want to experience these things whenever possible.