Join KC Barbecue Tours on this guided bus tour as we travel through the city sampling barbecue from well known barbecue establishments and "hidden gem" barbecue joints.
On our 4-hour food tour we will visit 4 different barbecue restaurants. From brisket to burnt ends, every guest will enjoy a portion of each restaurants best smoked meats and side dishes.
Not only will every guest have the opportunity to taste some of the world's best barbecue, but they will also be given a behind-the-scenes look at how barbecue is prepped, smoked and served.
What's Included in the price?
- All tastings - Each restauarant will offer a meat and side dish to every guest.
- Transportation - We will provide transportation from restaurant to restaurant.
- Gratuities - We will be responsible for all restaurant gratuities.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages other than water - you are welcome to purchase anything you prefer to drink other than water.
- Tour guide tips - we work to the bones so you can enjoy the meat on the bones. A little tip is always nice.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Enjoyed the KC BBQ Tour
|mikew62||Fri, Jul 31 11:15 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Plenty of good food, interesting history of KC BBQ, maybe a little pricey but really enjoyed it. Bus driver (Barry) and Guide (Bethany) were very helpful and friendly and Bethany really knew her stuff about the area, history and BBQ. Tour lasted about 4 hours and if you left hungry it was your own fault. Would recommend this tour to others. Brought home leftovers !!
|DrPhil00||Sat, Jul 25 11:15 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Loved the tour. Bethany and Barry were entertaining, informative and very helpful. The stop at Original Juan's was a nice break amid the sampling. I'd do it again next time I'm in town, provided they'd take us to some different places. About the only thing I'd do differently is schedule for a day in which the temps didn't top out in the upper 90s. Woodyards can be brutal in those conditions.
Yummy, entertaining, and informative!
|Gualcolinis||Sat, Jul 25 11:15 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Bethany and Barry were so much fun. They were enthusiastic and knowledgable! All the food was great!
Yum, Yum, Yum!
|TracyT0428||Fri, Jul 24 11:15 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had a fabulous time on this tour. Visited 4 incredible BBQ restaurants (Arthur Bryant's, LC's, Woodyard's and Gates), plus a stop at a place that makes - seemingly - ALL of the BBQ sauces (and not just in the KC area), with the opportunity to purchase. We learned a lot of the history of some of the most historic BBQ restaurants and a few tidbits about the city. Highly recommend - you will NOT be disappointed! And you will NOT walk away hungry!
Great knowledge of BBQ. Great pacing.
|corrigan4221||Fri, Jul 24 11:15 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
The 4-hour tour was well paced to allow digestion between stops. The stop at a sauce manufacturing site was unexpected but super cool. The tour guide was knowledgeable and the bus driver was kind and helpful.
Unexpected Great Fun
|jlmac900623||Sat, Jul 18 5:30 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
This was a fabulous way to explore some of the great Kansas City barbecue joints. We did the 4 hour tour. It sounds like they do the same 4 restaurants for every tour. It would be really nice to change it up a bit to make it worthy of repeating the tour.
Fun experience seeing and eating various BBQ
|GJSmith||Sat, Jul 18 5:30 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Fun method to learn about Kansas city BBQ, see a few of older "joints" and taste some of their BBQ. We went back and ordered takeout of our favorite BBQ (LC's) and took it back for BBQ party at our home in Omaha. The driver and tour guide really worked hard to make our trip enjoyable, and in my case they were successful.
Yummy and fun!
|alindholt86||Fri, Jul 17 11:15 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Family Without Children|
This is a must do while in KC! They take you to all the original BBQ places that you wouldn't normally know to go to and they even give you history behind the KC BBQ scene. Our host, Allison, was spectacular and our driver was fun too! The coolest part is unless you want extra drinks, everything is covered in the ticket price AND you get to have a fun afternoon out and not worry about driving/parking. The only thing I would bring cash for is to tip your guide/driver. They work hard in the heat serving your food and such.
|Stacy0108||Fri, Jul 10 11:15 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
What a fun "day" experience. Not only were we fed amazing BBQ, but the history of the restaurants and the Kansas City area was completely worth it! I would highly recommend this to anyone local or out of town.
Very enjoyable . . .
|Kampysoffice||Fri, Jul 10 11:15 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
The tour guide makes the tour - and ours, Brittany, was exceptional. She was well-versed on the history of KC BBQ, the restaurants, and the city which made the tour so interesting. An added stop in addition to the restaurants was at Original Juan's Specialty Foods Outlet - it was fun tasting and purchasing various sauces that were produced at this facility. The BBQ experience was very good - loved the "joints" and the variety of foods we were served. Also loved the bus driver, Barry - he was entertaining, just like an old friend. My husband and I would definitely recommend.
- Do tickets have to be purchased in advance?
- Yes. Tours often fill up quickly, so it would be in your best interest to purchase tickets in advance to guarantee your desired tour date. You can buy tickets through Zerve with a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- What if it rains?
- You're in luck! Our tours will run rain or shine. We'll be indoors, on the bus or in restaurant tasting locations, during most of the tour, so rain should not be an issue. However, if rain is expected in the forecast, please bring an umbrella.
- Is this tour family friendly? Can I bring my child?
- Of course! KC Barbecue Tours is family owned and definitely family friendly. Please keep in mind, all tour attendees must have a full-priced ticket, regardless of age, because they will be taking up a seat on the bus.
- Can I bring an infant on the tour?
- If a child is age 3 or younger and will be sitting on your lap during the entire tour, you do not need to purchase a ticket for them. Storage for strollers will be available on the bus. If they will be requiring a seat, however, you will need to purchase a full price ticket.
- How much food is provided on the tour?
- Each restaurant will provide a generous sample of their best barbecue meat and side dish. Most guests will leave full.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a tour is sold out, please check our calendar for availability of other dates
- How many barbecue restaurants will we visit?
- While we are partnered with various restaurants, each tour will visit 4 barbecue restaurants.
- Will I know in advance which restaurants we will be visiting?
- While the barbecue restaurants we’ll be visiting is determined in advance, what would be the fun in knowing all the barbecue secrets ahead of time. We will be visiting 4 restaurants that range from well-known establishments to hidden gems. Please note that restaurants are subject to change from time to time.
- What if I'm a vegetarian/vegan?
- Please keep in mind that our barbecue tour is geared for people who love BBQ dishes and most of our tastings will contain a meat ingredient. We will try our best to accommodate with alternative side dishes, however, there will be limited vegetarian/vegan options to choose from and we will need to know ahead of time. If you would still like to purchase a ticket, please email us by clicking on "Contact KCBBQTours" to the left of the page with details about your restrictions and the date you were interested in attending the tour.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- If you have dietary restrictions or a food allergy, we ask that you please notify us when purchasing your tickets. We want everyone to be able to enjoy this tour and are willing to work with each customer. Please understand though that this tour does involve the option to sample meat and various side dishes. We are not in control of how food is prepared and cooked at each restaurant, but are willing to help find options for any guest with dietary restrictions.
- Are drinks provided?
- Water will be provided at each restaurant. You are free to purchase other beverages at any restaurant, if you prefer.
- What do I need to bring?
- We recommend bringing your appetite and a camera to catch a few memories! You are also more than welcome to bring your own bottle of water for the ride and extra money should you wish to purchase a beverage (other than water) or any merchandise.
- I'm from Kansas City, does this tour have anything to offer me?
- Definitely, you'll be able to learn more about the local establishments, the food you are eating, meet tourists and locals and eat delicious food!
- How long is the tour?
- The tour will be approximately 3.5-4 hours depending on the size of the group.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at select food-tasting locations.
- How big is a tour group?
- Each tour can accommodate a maximum of 16 guests.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Unfortunately, we are currently not wheelchair accessible. However, we are more than happy to assist any person aboard the bus.
- Does the tour begin and end at the same location?
- Yes, the bus will drop you back off at the meeting location.
- What should I wear?
- Please wear weather appropriate clothing and comfortable shoes for getting on and off the bus.
- Is there parking available near the meeting location?
- Yes, there is a parking lot located next to our meeting location. Exact meeting location and parking details will be provided immediately upon purchase of your tickets.
- Are pets allowed on the tour?
- We love pets, unfortunately, due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Are gift certificates available for purchase?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Of course! To discuss private tour details, click "Contact KCBBQTours" to the left of the page to send Kansas City Barbecue Tours an email. Please include the date preferred and number of people your party. A member of our staff will respond with payment information and further instructions.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Tour Waiver
- I have read and agree to KC Barbecue Tours tour waiver located on the KC Barbecue Tours webpage.
- Beverage and Alcohol Policy
- I understand that KC Barbecue Tours does not provide any beverages other than water. If a tour attendee chooses to purchase and/or consume alcohol, KC Barbecue Tours is not responsible for any of the following before, during or after the tour takes place; over-consumption of alcoholic beverages, tour attendee's decision to drive under the influence of alcohol, medical emergency related to alcohol consumption, damage to tour attendee's property. KC Barbecue Tours urges all tour attendees to consume alcoholic beverages in a responsible manner.
KC Barbecue Tours
KC Barbecue Tours simply began with married couple, Karl and Bethanie Schemel’s, years of love for Kansas City barbecue. Born and raised in Chicago, where he worked on his father's boat guided tour business, Karl moved to Kansas City in 1998 to attend college. That was when his taste for barbecue began. Raised in Wichita, KS and with family ties to Kansas City, Bethanie has been enjoying Kansas City barbecue since she was very young.
After years of sampling the various Kansas City barbecue options the couple realized that their pasts could unite to provide a bus guided food tour of the best barbecue in the world. Karl and Bethanie’s hope is that each guest will leave the tour with the same love and appreciation for Kansas City barbecue that they have.