Join KC Barbecue Tours on this guided bus tour as we travel through the city sampling barbecue from well known barbecue establishments and "hidden gem" barbecue joints.
On our 4-hour food tour we will visit 4 different barbecue restaurants. From brisket to burnt ends, every guest will enjoy a portion of each restaurants best smoked meats and side dishes.
Not only will every guest have the opportunity to taste some of the world's best barbecue, but they will also be given a behind-the-scenes look at how barbecue is prepped, smoked and served.
What's Included in the price?
- All tastings - Each restauarant will offer a meat and side dish to every guest.
- Transportation - We will provide transportation from restaurant to restaurant.
- Gratuities - We will be responsible for all restaurant gratuities.
What Is Not Included?
- Beverages other than water - you are welcome to purchase anything you prefer to drink other than water.
- Tour guide tips - we work to the bones so you can enjoy the meat on the bones. A little tip is always nice.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great Kansas City activity!
|lelarsen7||Sat, May 21 11:15 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Family Without Children|
As a newer resident to Kansas City, this was a great way to do something different, enjoy great food, and learn more about the city. It was paced nicely, included lots of great stops and is something I'd recommend to anyone.
|Shellie1580||Fri, May 20 11:15 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Great tour and history of Kansas City BBQ. I didn't eat for 15 hours afterward!
Original KC BBQ Tour
|mradetic||Sat, May 14 11:15 AM||Male||60-69||Combination||Group of Friends|
The tour was wonderful.. The knowledge of the staff regarding both KC BBQ and the city in general was outstanding. Really a first class operation.
BBQ and KC history make a good match
|Model5||Sat, May 14 11:15 AM||Male||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Had a really good time on the tour and even exceeded expectations on some counts. Hit four BBQ joints (I think Joe's KC or Jack Stack should be on the tour) plus visited Original Juan's sauce business. The amount of food at each place was about right since we hit four places and the tour speaker was fantastic. She not only gave a good history of how BBQ got started in KC and our four specific visits, but also offered some general KC history as we toured from place to place. All in all a very nice experience and think even those that are not hard core BBQ fans would enjoy. Of the four BBQ joints, Bryant's had the best ribs and beans were good, LC's best burnt ends and also nice beans, Gates good overall, and Woodyards was just OK although they had the best sounding menu item; burnt end chili. Might be worth a return visit to try that. Pulled pork was flavorless, sausage was pretty good. I'd give the overall tour an A rating.
KC Barbecue Bus Tour
|JohnnieLee||Sat, May 14 11:15 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Individual|
This FOUR hour tour is fantastic! ! It starts with an enthusiastic and warm welcoming from the tour guide Bethanie and driver Barry! Bethanie is extremely knowledgeable and gives an enlightening presentation without being too wordy. Barry is a safe, prudent driver and assists with food delivery at the locations and he adds humorous banter. Two of the four stops/locations are reknown mainstays (Gate's [last stop] and [first stop]Bryant's) LC's is the second stop and Woodyard is the third stop. Go, you'll enjoy!!
|Haneys||Sat, May 7 11:15 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The tour was great. The food was different at each place and we got to try a little of everything. Highly recommended if you are going to Kansas City and want to hear about great BBQ places.
Fantastic fun tour
|jrinkc||Sat, May 7 11:15 AM||Male||50-59||Local||Other|
Took this tour as we had company in town that wanted BBQ and thought what better way to do that then the tour. They could experience 4 different locations bbq. It was a great afternoon.
Fun & delicious
|texshari||Sat, Apr 30 11:15 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We enjoyed the history of the barbecue - our tour guide really knew her stuff & was very entertaining. Would le like to have a little more details about KC, too.
Fun and Filling
|ajb198||Sat, Apr 30 11:15 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The tour was fun, the food was great, and you learn all about KC on the way.
A little bit of everything.
|joyowens||Sat, Apr 23 11:15 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My husband and I were only in Kansas City for a night, and this tour was perfect. It included a taste of the city, a guided drive through all the scenic areas. We sampled BBQ from spots that were well regarded in their own right and each restaurant gave ample servings; however, I'm sure there are better tasting restaurants in the city.
- Do tickets have to be purchased in advance?
- Yes. Tours often fill up quickly, so it would be in your best interest to purchase tickets in advance to guarantee your desired tour date. You can buy tickets through Zerve with a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- What if it rains?
- You're in luck! Our tours will run rain or shine. We'll be indoors, on the bus or in restaurant tasting locations, during most of the tour, so rain should not be an issue. However, if rain is expected in the forecast, please bring an umbrella.
- Is this tour family friendly? Can I bring my child?
- Of course! KC Barbecue Tours is family owned and definitely family friendly. Please keep in mind, all tour attendees must have a full-priced ticket, regardless of age, because they will be taking up a seat on the bus.
- Can I bring an infant on the tour?
- If a child is age 3 or younger and will be sitting on your lap during the entire tour, you do not need to purchase a ticket for them. Storage for strollers will be available on the bus. If they will be requiring a seat, however, you will need to purchase a full price ticket.
- How much food is provided on the tour?
- Each restaurant will provide a generous sample of their best barbecue meat and side dish. Most guests will leave full.
- If a tour is sold out, can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a tour is sold out, please check our calendar for availability of other dates
- How many barbecue restaurants will we visit?
- While we are partnered with various restaurants, each tour will visit 4 barbecue restaurants.
- Will I know in advance which restaurants we will be visiting?
- While the barbecue restaurants we’ll be visiting is determined in advance, what would be the fun in knowing all the barbecue secrets ahead of time. We will be visiting 4 restaurants that range from well-known establishments to hidden gems. Please note that restaurants are subject to change from time to time.
- What if I'm a vegetarian/vegan?
- Please keep in mind that our barbecue tour is geared for people who love BBQ dishes and most of our tastings will contain a meat ingredient. We will try our best to accommodate with alternative side dishes, however, there will be limited vegetarian/vegan options to choose from and we will need to know ahead of time. If you would still like to purchase a ticket, please email us by clicking on "Contact KCBBQTours" to the left of the page with details about your restrictions and the date you were interested in attending the tour.
- What if I have dietary restrictions or food allergies?
- If you have dietary restrictions or a food allergy, we ask that you please notify us when purchasing your tickets. We want everyone to be able to enjoy this tour and are willing to work with each customer. Please understand though that this tour does involve the option to sample meat and various side dishes. We are not in control of how food is prepared and cooked at each restaurant, but are willing to help find options for any guest with dietary restrictions.
- Are drinks provided?
- Water will be provided at each restaurant. You are free to purchase other beverages at any restaurant, if you prefer.
- What do I need to bring?
- We recommend bringing your appetite and a camera to catch a few memories! You are also more than welcome to bring your own bottle of water for the ride and extra money should you wish to purchase a beverage (other than water) or any merchandise.
- I'm from Kansas City, does this tour have anything to offer me?
- Definitely, you'll be able to learn more about the local establishments, the food you are eating, meet tourists and locals and eat delicious food!
- How long is the tour?
- The tour will be approximately 3.5-4 hours depending on the size of the group.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at select food-tasting locations.
- How big is a tour group?
- Each tour can accommodate a maximum of 16 guests.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Unfortunately, we are currently not wheelchair accessible. However, we are more than happy to assist any person aboard the bus.
- Does the tour begin and end at the same location?
- Yes, the bus will drop you back off at the meeting location.
- What should I wear?
- Please wear weather appropriate clothing and comfortable shoes for getting on and off the bus.
- Is there parking available near the meeting location?
- Yes, there is a parking lot located next to our meeting location. Exact meeting location and parking details will be provided immediately upon purchase of your tickets.
- Are pets allowed on the tour?
- We love pets, unfortunately, due to the various food establishments we visit, pets of any kind are not allowed on this tour.
- Are gift certificates available for purchase?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this tour, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you offer private tours?
- Of course! To discuss private tour details, click "Contact KCBBQTours" to the left of the page to send Kansas City Barbecue Tours an email. Please include the date preferred and number of people your party. A member of our staff will respond with payment information and further instructions.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event prior to departure, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a full refund.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a full refund.
- Tour Waiver
- I have read and agree to KC Barbecue Tours tour waiver located on the KC Barbecue Tours webpage.
- Beverage and Alcohol Policy
- I understand that KC Barbecue Tours does not provide any beverages other than water. If a tour attendee chooses to purchase and/or consume alcohol, KC Barbecue Tours is not responsible for any of the following before, during or after the tour takes place; over-consumption of alcoholic beverages, tour attendee's decision to drive under the influence of alcohol, medical emergency related to alcohol consumption, damage to tour attendee's property. KC Barbecue Tours urges all tour attendees to consume alcoholic beverages in a responsible manner.
KC Barbecue Tours
KC Barbecue Tours simply began with married couple, Karl and Bethanie Schemel’s, years of love for Kansas City barbecue. Born and raised in Chicago, where he worked on his father's boat guided tour business, Karl moved to Kansas City in 1998 to attend college. That was when his taste for barbecue began. Raised in Wichita, KS and with family ties to Kansas City, Bethanie has been enjoying Kansas City barbecue since she was very young.
After years of sampling the various Kansas City barbecue options the couple realized that their pasts could unite to provide a bus guided food tour of the best barbecue in the world. Karl and Bethanie’s hope is that each guest will leave the tour with the same love and appreciation for Kansas City barbecue that they have.