These are some of Charleston’s most fascinating pubs—the ones that most visitors would never even know about on their own!
Come join us and :
- Listen to true tales of bootleggers, ghosts, revolutionaries, presidents, and pirates who caroused the very streets on which you are walking.
- Get your healthy dose of Charleston’s history from the historic taverns and former speakeasies, to the rooftop pubs and breweries overlooking the magnificent harbor.
- Indulge yourself in southern treats such as Sweet Tea Vodka, Irish Nachos, Mint Juleps and local craft brews!
So skip the long lines and crowded tours with inexperienced guides, and come take an unforgettable tour with us, create lifelong memories, and take your vacation to the next level--a true Charleston experience!
All tours are for adults ages 21 and up only with valid ID.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Degams||Sat, Nov 7 1:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
So much fun! Our guide knew his history and he was fun too.
Charleston is one helluva city!
|jpmatriano||Fri, Nov 6 7:00 PM||Male||30-39||Combination||Group of Friends|
From the start of the tour, our guide Daniel made us love the city of Charleston. This tour provided a lot of info on what an interesting history this place has. We walked around downtown and talked about the how pirates once was an important prt of the city. Daniel shared a lot about the city's role in the revolution, the civil war, and the different struggles over the centuries. We had great local brew and all the bars we went to had pleasant staff and treatud us well. I highly recommend this tour.
Fantastic night out
|amazack||Wed, Nov 4 7:00 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our guide was awesome. Very knowledgeable, very entertaining, very accommodating. All of the places we stopped at were great, and we even got to hit a few extra places. Definitely had a great time.
|4knotts||Tue, Nov 3 7:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary. We have recently moved to the area and wanted to get to know more about Charleston and to gain exposure to fun places to visit again. We were the only 2 on the tour. The guide was very easy to talk to and answered all our questions about Charleston, the pubs, as well as random topics. We were very pleased with the food at all the places as well as the service at each pub we visited. After the tour ended we went back to one of the paces for more drinks and snacks. We then walked around and explored more places he pointed out while on the tour. It was a great night! I highly recommend this tour.
Fun Tour of Charleston and Pubs
|LindaLight||Sat, Oct 31 4:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Our cruise ship stopped in Charleston for several hours. This was such a fun way to learn about Charleston and it's history, to meet other people and to visit the local pubs. We were able to walk to our meeting place from the ship.
Waste of money and time, very unprofessional guide
|swellner1||Fri, Oct 30 7:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We were a bachelorette party looking for an activity that incorporated something fun but that also allowed us to see the city. Our guide was disorganized from the beginning and her history recall/storytelling was extremely hard to follow. Our guide did not know how to get the groups attention and was completely unengaging. She also, did not recap or bring the stories she was telling together at the end of what we would consider an absolute rant. She stopped multiple times on the walks from pub to pub and for too long (given that it is a PUB tour) and also left us with insufficient time upon arrival at each bar to order and drink our beverages in a leisurely fashion. She may have been inebriated herself. At our 3rd stop around 9:15pm we asked if/and how many more stops were planned because a) we weren't having a great time and b) had made post-tour plans as we were under the impression from the tour description that it ended by 9:30pm. When we then explained that we had made post-tour plans timed accordingly and, therefore, wouldn't be continuing on the tour, she became hostile and defensive and spoke ill of our group (with us in earshot) to the other people on the tour. She displayed rude and unprofessional behavior, and what should have been an entertaining, enjoyable evening became essentially a waste of time and money.
|idahofinn||Thu, Oct 29 4:00 PM||Female||Unspecified||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Daniel was a fantastic tour guide! He really knows the history of Charleston and is very personable. During our stay, we returned to many of the pubs that we discovered during the tour. Would highly recommend the fish and chips at The Griffon.
Great activity for buying your own beer and fun
|ruthfaure||Mon, Oct 26 7:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Would of liked more historic detail about the places we visited
Perfect, fun and informatiive!
|mvielhauer||Sat, Oct 24 4:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
My husband and I try to get to Charleston at least every other year and on our last trip I booked the pub tour for an evening event. We met in the park with a very nice gentleman who dressed the colonial part and greeted us with accent and all. And we had a great evening - fun stops- lots of interesting and humorous history. Very good experience. So this time we were taking some friends with us and decided to book again this time an afternoon outing. We were concerned that we were meeting someone "in a red shirt" at one of the pubs and that perhaps it wouldn't be as good. But our tour guide, Bryan turned out delightful as well. Very knowledgeable, very personable and because we had made reference to our previous tour he added in one of our favorite stops as an extra. The tour was actually a bit longer because we ended at this favorite spot. We totally enjoyed it, learned some new spots, learned some new history and will definitely will repeat the experience on our next visit. we loved the addition to offering snacks at locations on this tour. Also he made us all feel more relaxed and so there was more socializing amongst the group than before. great for us- a bit harder on the tour guide... Good job - please keep up the great work! Thank you- M. - Conway, SC
History and Beer
|olllie24||Wed, Oct 21 4:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
This activity was chosen by my niece and I'm glad she did. My sister ,brother in law and I, met in Charleston and picked 3 activities. They live in Omaha and I live 2 hours north of Charleston. I am not a beer drinker, so I did not know what to expect. Brian, our tour guide was so full of history, ghost stories and information about the pubs we were in. I was totally comfortable with the group. I wasn't the only wine drinker. The snacks were delicious and plentiful. The walking from pub to pub was great. It gave us all time to get to know each other. It was well worth the fee. My husband was supposed to attend as well, but was unable to due to a bout of bursitis in his hip. he was totally unable to walk. I called and cancelled , but his fee was not refundable. I was disappointed. I mentioned this to Brian and he said he would give me a gift card for another tour. I was pleased. I love going to Charleston and I would like to share this pub tour with my husband. Brian did not have any gift cards with him. He told me to call the company. I will. I really enjoyed the pub tour with my sister, brother in law and niece. I highly recommend it. Great blend of drinks, pubs, history and ghost stories!
- How much food is provided on the tour for guests and what kind of appetizers?
- We provide light appetizers for each person on the tour to sample. Usually appetizers are provided at 1 or 2 pubs, out of the 3 to 5 total pubs we visit. It is not enough to spoil dinner, so there is no need to change your dinner reservations, if scheduled for after the tour. You will still have room to eat after the tour. The food on the tour usually consists of your typical "bar" food, such as chips and salsa, wings, Irish nachos, etc., and varies with each tour depending upon the pubs visited. If given advance notice, we can accommodate vegetarians, some food allergies, and other food requests, so please let us know ahead of time if any of these applies to you.
- What are your tour times and where do they depart?
- Please check our Zerve calendar for a current schedule of our daily tours. Our tours depart from the City Market area in downtown historic Charleston. We do all tours by advance booking through Zerve, so please buy tickets online or call in advance to secure your spot on the tour. We can tailor tours and times for larger groups, so please contact us via the "Contact LesesneTours" link and we can assist you with your personal needs.
- Is it appropriate for children or those under 21?
- The Pub Tour is definitely not appropriate for children; only those who are 21 years old and older with a valid I.D. will be admitted into the establishments. Each of the pubs we visit has an age requirement to go inside.
- Where does the tour go and how long does it last?
- The Pub Tour is conducted throughout the heart of Charleston's Historic District. On average, we visit three to five historic pubs during the 2.5 hour tour; it depends on the timeliness of the group. We recommend you bring extra cash to avoid waiting on tabs to be closed out at each pub. If there’s a particular place you’d like to visit, please give any special requests upon making your reservation; we will do our best to accommodate the needs of everyone.
- What happens if it rains when my tour is scheduled?
- All tours operate as scheduled, rain or shine, so bring an umbrella or your rain gear with you if the forecast calls for rain. Our coastal weather systems vary quite a bit from those inland, even just a few miles away. Often times the precipitous clouds will dissipate when they hit the coast, resulting in very thin, patchy rain. The majority of the pub tour is conducted inside the pubs, but the total walking distance during the course of the tour is about 8 city blocks, so there is a small amount of time spent outside. The best thing to do is to come prepared just in case.
- Are tours for bachelor/bachelorette parties available?
- Yes! If you are interested in having a bachelor/bachelorette party on the tour, please click on the "Contact LesesneTours" link to inquire further.
- Are private tours or group tours available?
- Yes! Private tours of any length and virtually any group size are available for the Pub Tour. We specialize in group pub tours for birthdays, celebrations, and bachelor/bachelorette type pub crawls. We can cater to any of your needs for all of those occasions. Please click on the "Contact LesesneTours" link to inquire about setting up a private tour.
- How much walking is there on the tour?
- We will walk a total of 8 city blocks, and the walking is not strenuous or uphill, although some of the sidewalk may be a bit uneven. We encourage our guests to watch their step during the tour in order to avoid tripping. We will sit down at all of the pub stops during the tour.
- How many pubs do we visit?
- On average, we visit 3-5 historic pubs during the 2.5 hour tour; it depends on the timeliness of the group.
- How much money should I bring?
- Drinks at the pubs we will be visiting range from $2 to $6. Microbrews and craft brews are generally $5 each, whereas sweet tea vodka is $6. We highly recommend bringing cash so you can pay for your drinks upon ordering -- this enables us to visit all the establishments we have planned to visit during our limited time!
- What if I have food allergies?
- We will most likely be eating a few of the following appetizers in light-medium sized portions -- Irish Nachos (fried potatoes with ranch dressing, cheese, tomatoes, green onions, jalapenos, and bacon bits), Fish and Chips (fried cod fish, french fries, and coleslaw), Chips and Salsa, or Vegetable Quesadillas. If you have food allergies, please let your guide know at the start of the tour so they can make appropriate arrangements.
- Is the tour route handicapped accessible?
- Generally, the tour is not handicap accessible. However, some of the locations we visit are wheelchair accessible whereas others may be more difficult. Please do contact us via the "Contact LesesneTours" link to inquire about accessibility -- we may be able to alter the tour route to better accommodate you. But please contact us ahead of time to make sure this option is available.
- Do I tip the guide?
- Sure. Whatever you think is appropriate, just like with your favorite restaurant service staff; although, in this case, the staff is entertaining and enlightening the group for hours at a time!
- Will I get a confirmation number? How do I get my tickets?
- You will receive a confirmation number when you purchase tickets online or over the phone; please bring this number or your printed e-ticket with you when you arrive for your tour.
- Where do I park?
- Parking meters are numerous in the downtown area, though you may have to park a few blocks away to find one. They are free after 6:00pm and Sundays/Holidays. There are also several hourly parking garages and flat-rate parking lots in the immediate area. There is a parking garage located near the Rainbow Market building, on the corner of Church and Cumberland Streets; the entrance is on Cumberland Street right across from the Powder Magazine.
- Where does the tour finish?
- The ending point of the tour varies, but it is never more than a few blocks from our starting point. The tour guide is always happy to walk you back to the starting point if you would like.
- Are there discounts for groups?
- Yes, any groups of 10 or more people will automatically get $2 off per person.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! You can purchase them right here on Zerve! Just go to the Event Ticket page for your chosen activity and look right below the calendar of events, you will see a small gift box. You can order Gift Certificates right there and even send them via email.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All tour participants must be ages 21 and up.
- All tours are limited to participants ages 21 and up because of age policies at the pubs we will be visiting. Please make sure to bring valid government issued identification with you.
- Please drink responsibly.
- Please do not plan to drive if you are going to be drinking alcohol. We reserve the right to dismiss any person from the tour who does not act responsibly in any way while on the tour. Please, be safe and responsible! We want you to enjoy your time with us.
Lesesne Tours & Events, LLC
Featured in both the Wall Street Journal and the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, our walking pub tours visit Charleston’s most intimate and historic pubs—hard-to-find hidden treasures scattered throughout the French Quarter, the oldest part of Charleston.
Our brewery bus tours visit three local breweries for tastings and behind-the-scenes glimpse at the beer brewing process and creativity coming from our area breweries today!
The owners, Becca and Daniel Lesesne, are Charleston natives who both specialized in History at the College of Charleston, are experienced guides and who share a great appreciation for history, historic preservation, world travel and hand crafted, micro-brewed beer. As experienced craft beer brewers, history buffs, and connoisseurs of good food and beer, the two have combined these interests to create this unforgettable adventure amidst the backdrop of such a charming city.
Ignite your senses and taste your way through the city on an incredible tour. Experience Charleston from a new angle, and let us teach you the philosophy of King Charles II--"Eat, drink, and be merry!"