The 3-hour bus tour departs from downtown Milwaukee and feature stops at bakeries throughout the area while enjoying stories of ethnic holiday traditions en route. Guests on this unique tour will be treated to signature cookies, candies and pastries at each stop.
- Our guests have a lot of fun shopping at each of the bakeries we visit. Please consider bringing a tote or canvas shopping bag to keep track of all of your goodies on the bus.
- As several bakeries only take cash, be sure to keep that in mind when planning out your day.
- You may want to think about bringing a bottle of water with you, otherwise you can purchase bottled drinks at most of the establishments that we visit.
- We encourage everyone to dress for the occasion; Santa hats, Elf stockings, ugly Christmas sweaters, pretty Christmas sweaters...all are welcome on the Christmas Around Milwaukee Bakery Bus Tours!
- Although minimal walking is required, there is still walking involved.
- This tour is NOT handicap accessible and attendees will need to go up/down minimal stairs to get on/off the bus multiple times.
What Is Not Included?
- This is an excellent opportunity to purchase your holiday cookies - please bring extra cash with you if you'd like to purchase additional items during the tour as well as bring a tote or canvas shopping bag to keep track of all of your goodies on the bus! Please note: some stops do not accept credit cards.
- Gratuities for your tour guide, although not required, are always appreciated.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
too much odd bakery
|mcornnell||Sun, Dec 21, 14 9:30 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
Some of the bakery was spot on for the holidays - Christmas cookies, cup cakes, delicious doughnut. Other bakery was too much - giant elephant ears, stale gingerbread pigs that looked like footballs. We wouldn't take this tour again but would try another one.
Great Way to Discover Milwaukee Secrets
|gwander||Sat, Dec 20, 14 9:45 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Went to places I did not know about and discovered their delicious goodies. Guide was fun, knowledgeable and kept things going smoothly. Recommend to anyone for a different activity. Will try their other tours too.
|jellis326||Sat, Dec 20, 14 9:00 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
We went as a group and had a great time. Most of us were somewhat local but still learned a lot about the local bakeries!! I don't eat gluten due to a health reason and they were very accommodating!
GREAT ACTIVITY FOR LOCALS OR GUESTS
|Cathezzzz||Sat, Dec 20, 14 9:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
We were full by the second stop! Saw places and goods I'd never known about or would not normally go to; and it's supports local businesses. The tour leader enhances the experience with stories and background. We will be going on more tours and it's an excellent activity for friends from outta town.
Great way to see the city.
|bobmc7||Sun, Dec 14, 14 9:45 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
History lesson, city tour, buffet? All of the above. This was a very interesting (and tasty) way to spend about three hours getting to know Milwaukee and the imigrant groups that built the city. Fun for all ages.
|Jkotvis||Sun, Dec 14, 14 9:00 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Other|
Had a great time on the Sunday bakery tour. Our tour guide was Sandy, she was enthusiastic, kind and very knowledgeable. Our bus driver was excellent too! Bring a tote bag and Tupper ware for your samples. We went to 6 bakeries, the samples were generous! I'm already planning on taking another tour with Milwaukee Food Tours.
Smiles All Around
|maburch||Sun, Dec 14, 14 9:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The day started with a warm gingerbread doughnut--the spicy aroma and moist density made for pure comfort food. The bakeries we visited were unique--a sampling of French, Italian, Mexican, and American. And our stop at Miss Cupcake was delightful. The bus was cozy and comfy and Sandy helped our group enjoy the experience as a friendly family. The bakery tour has become a tradition for me. I look forward to next year!
|Carol53110||Sun, Dec 14, 14 9:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
I loved the tour - who wouldn't like visiting 6 bakeries. More free tasty samples than I imagined getting. Our tour guide was fun & our driver was friendly & courteous. We are talking about doing it again.
|nadavis||Sat, Dec 13, 14 1:30 PM||Female||40-49||Combination||Other|
I think this was a fun experience, something different. We received LOTS of samples and enough time to buy a few items. I would have appreciated a better bus. A school bus was used and is not the most comfortable when driving all over Milwaukee and the suburbs, also not to easy to get in and out of. The tour guide was fun and easy-going. Would have like to have heard more historical info about the areas we traveled to.
Will I try another tour some day? Yes!
Fun Time, Lots of Goodies!
|hrgiese||Sat, Dec 13, 14 1:30 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Good selection of bakeries and a great tour group leader! Learned a lot of new things about Milwaukee!
- Is advance purchase required? Is cash accepted?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain, shine or snow! As this is a winter tour, we encourage you to dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. In the extremely rare event that the tour has to be canceled, you will be able to reschedule to another time or get credit for a future event.
- If a food tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- If a date/time is sold out or not listed as an available tour date, there is always a chance that if requested, we can add an additional tour on that date/time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What is the maximum number of people per tour?
- As this is a bus tour with limited seating, the tour is limited to 40 attendees per tour.
- What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour provides a wide range of ethnic bakery samples as well as non-alcoholic beverages (hot chocolate, coffee, cider, etc.)
- Are beverages provided?
- Non-alcoholic options such as hot chocolate, coffee and cider are provided. Remember to bring cash with you if you want to purchase extra beverages!
- What about dietary restrictions?
- We will do our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions provided we are aware of them in advance. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you have upon purchasing your tickets. If you have further questions, please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire.
- Do we just drive around and sample food?
- Absolutely not! Milwaukee has a wonderful, rich history. Visitors learn the history of the city and learn about the many ethnic influences that shaped our great city as well as learn about the holiday traditions of that ethnicity. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss history, culture, architecture, and entertainment offerings, and introduce you to newer establishments.
- What bakeries do we visit on the tour?
- It's a surprise! We will visit a variety of excellent bakeries, but do keep in mind that the tour routes and thereby the exact places we visit may vary from tour to tour.
- How much walking is included?
- Although our specialty tour is via bus, please note that some walking is still required - we encourage you to wear comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate clothing. These special holiday tours are NOT handicap accessible and will require attendees to go up/down stairs.
- Can I bring children on the tour?
- We offer an adolescent ticket for kids 8 to 15. We also offer a free child ticket for those 7 and under who will not be participating in the tasting but will require a seat on the bus. Please do notify us if you will be bringing an infant who will not need a seat on the bus by entering a "Message to the Seller" when booking your tickets. Keep in mind that we will be discussing cultural history, and much of the tour involves eating and socializing. Please consider whether your children will enjoy the tour and whether it is appropriate for them.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- Absolutely - this is a great opportunity to stock up on your holiday treats!
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
- Is there parking near to the tour's meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native Milwaukean?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Milwaukee. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Our knowledgeable guides will tell you exciting secrets about the city and perhaps introduce you to new favorites!
- Are cameras allowed?
- Yes, visitors are allowed and encouraged to take pictures at any of the establishments we visit.
- Are pets allowed?
- Due to the policies of the various food establishments we visit, pets are not allowed on this tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link if you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Give the gift of exploring the sights and flavors of Milwaukee's most historic and delicious neighborhoods with a gift certificate for a Milwaukee Food Tour experience! These make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, or simply to say "Thank You" or "Welcome to Your New Home." The recipient selects their tour route of choice plus schedules the tour at a time convenient to their schedule. For complete details and to purchase a gift certificate, please email email@example.com
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Private tours and step-on guide service is available for large groups. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire further.
Milwaukee Food Tours
We are Milwaukee's original - and award winning - food tour. I am a Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA), an alumna of Future Milwaukee 2009 and have served as a culinary speaker at a number of tourism-related conferences. We even recently won the 2010 Governor's Rising Star in Tourism Award! Credentials aside, at Milwaukee Food Tours, our passion is firmly rooted in food and in Milwaukee.
We are proud of two pieces of commentary often provided by our attendees: “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored Milwaukee like I did today” and “I was expecting a tasting but this was a full meal!” Whether you are a Milwaukee native, visiting the city on your own or traveling as part of group, you will not be disappointed. We consider our tours a progressive meal with a side of history.
Stories from Milwaukee's culinary scene are plentiful, and I invite you to immerse yourself into our culture in a fun and intimate way by experiencing a Milwaukee Food Tour. Come hungry, and be inspired!