The Historic Bar Tour: Pre-Prohibition is a 3-hour bus tour into some of the most historic and famous bars in Milwaukee. Spending about 30 minutes at each location, you'll relax while learning some of our most interesting and colorful history through the tales of our taverns.
We will visit four bars on this tour. You will enjoy four 6-ounce beers and one 6-ounce Old Fashioned. You will also receive a traditional German pretzel, discounts at some locations for return visits, a chance to win Milwaukee Food & City Tours trivia prizes, round-trip transportation and guided fun.
Only non-alcoholic substitutions will be offered for this tour. Please note that we also offer a discounted designated driver pricing.
- All guests on our Historic Bar Tour must be 21 or older.
- Although minimal walking is required, there is still walking involved.
- This tour is NOT handicap accessible and attendees will need to go up/down minimal stairs to get on/off the bus multiple times.
What Is Not Included?
Gratuities for your tour guide, although not required, are always appreciated.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great time but....
|SavannahJoe||Sat, Apr 18 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
My husband and I were on this tour and we had a wonderful time. We will definitely be doing this event again; we enjoyed all the history at each stop and Robert was very informative. Unfortunately, there was a rather loud group of guys that made it hard to hear the tour guide. Although, we didn't say anything or ask them to be quite. We are stuck on the bus with these people for 3 hours and you never know how some people will react. They almost ruined the tour for us; hopefully the next tour will be better.
Fun and interesting time!
|jmboudreau||Sat, Apr 18 2:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
My adult daughters and I had a wonderful experience together. The guide was fun and informative, the bars were all interesting to visit and the food was delicious. The whole experience was perfect. Thanks so much.
Great way to see hidden gems of Milwaukee
|aamyers2||Sat, Mar 21 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We had a great time touring lots of places we wouldn't have otherwise known existed. Our tour guide was knowledgable, friendly, and fun. We all had a great time and saw some hidden gems of Milwaukee.
Milwaukee Food Tours responded:
We appreciate you joining us on our Historic Bar Tour and want to thank you. We love showing off the "hidden gems" of Milwaukee and try to get people off the beaten path. Robert, your guide, is a great resource for all things Milwaukee and he loves to share his knowledge. If you like more Wisconsin gems, I would suggest our Old World Third Street tour. We make stops at some of Milwuakee's oldest and finest establishments. We hope to see you again!
|yackistern||Sat, Mar 21 2:00 PM||Unspecified||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
You don't know which bars you are going to visit until you board the bus. I was a little disappointed that 3 out of the 4 bars we went to, we've been to before (we are locals). HOWEVER, we learned something new and interesting at each of those 3 bars. And we sampled drinks we've never had there before. So it almost felt like our "first time" again! Robert, our guide, made the tour lots of fun and had plenty of historical facts to share about the bars and the areas we were in. We felt well taken care of and had a fantastic time!
Milwaukee Food Tours responded:
We are glad you could join us on the Historic Bar tour and we appreciate your feedback. Many of our tour attendees are native to the Milwaukee area but we like to hear that we taught you something new about our great city. Your guide, Robert, is a great ambassador for Milwaukee and a fountain of knowledge. If you are interested in another "spirited" afternoon in Milwaukee, check out our Sunday Bloody Mary Brunch tour!
|Frankenfeld||Sat, Feb 21 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family Without Children|
We enjoyed visiting bars that have been around for ever! The characters in these establishments were even better!
Milwaukee Food Tours responded:
We are always glad to hear it and thanks for coming! I think we know which "characters" you are referring to but we will leave it a surprise for future guests. If you like interesting people you should come on our Brady Street tour; The guides are full of knowledge and you never know who you will bump into on Brady street!
So much fun! Highly recommend
|colonnlr||Sat, Feb 21 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
we had a blast on the historic pre-prohibition bar tour. Our tour guide was fun and super knowledgable. I can't wait to go on another tour!
Had a blast!
|laur0806||Sat, Feb 14 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
We had a great time on this tour! We're from nearby, and it was so fun to explore places we had never been to, and to see a whole new side of Milwaukee. Robert, the tour guide, was absolutely wonderful and so informative. Whether you're visiting from out of town or live near Milwaukee, definitely check out these tours! We'll be coming back for another one for sure.
Great tour and tour guide
|kararose10||Sat, Feb 14 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
These tours are great! Not only do they make them fun but they are very informative. We tried to stump our tour guide, but you can tell he was very passionate and knew his stuff.
|amyschlott||Sat, Jan 24 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
We had a great time on this tour and went to four bars that we never heard of!
Great way to see some of Milwaukee
|FlipMaster||Sat, Nov 22, 14 2:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Had a great time with a group of friends, was an excellent way to show them some bars that are very Wisconsin and have some interesting history behind them. Nice way to get off of the main bar areas of downtown and see some neighborhood bars that have stayed intact for a long time.
- Is advance purchase required? Is cash accepted?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain, shine or snow! In the extremely rare event that the tour has to be canceled, you will be able to reschedule to another time or get credit for a future event.
- If a tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- If a date/time is sold out or not listed as an available tour date, there is always a chance that if requested, we can add an additional tour on that date/time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What is the maximum number of people per tour?
- As this is a bus tour with limited seating, the tour is limited to 22 attendees per tour.
- What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour provides an authentic German pretzel for guests to nibble on between visits to historic bars.
- Are beverages provided?
- You will enjoy 4 6-ounce beers and 1 6-ounce Old Fashioned. Only non-alcoholic substitutions will be provided. If you are purchasing a ticket that does not include alcohol tastings, the beverages included are lemonade, root beer and soda. Remember to bring cash with you if you want to purchase extra items.
- Does this tour have anything to offer someone who will not be participating in the alcohol tastings?
- Definitely! You'll enjoy learning about the history, architecture and entertainment destinations of the city, as well as be able to participate in trivia games. We offer a discounted rate if you will not be drinking alcohol.
- What about dietary restrictions?
- We will do our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions provided we are aware of them in advance. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you have upon purchasing your tickets. If you have further questions, please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire.
- Do we just drive around and drink?
- Absolutely not! Milwaukee has a wonderful, rich history. Visitors learn the history of the city and learn about the many ethnic influences that shaped our great city. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss history, culture, architecture, and entertainment offerings, and introduce you to newer establishments.
- What bars do we visit on the tour?
- It's a surprise! We will visit a variety of historic bars, but do keep in mind that the tour routes and thereby the exact places we visit may vary from tour to tour.
- How much walking is included?
- Although our specialty tour is via bus, please note that some walking is still required - we encourage you to wear comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate clothing. These special holiday tours are NOT handicap accessible and will require attendees to go up/down stairs.
- Can I bring children on the tour?
- No, all participants on this tour must be 21 or over with a valid ID.
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected bars.
- Is there parking near to the tour's meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native Milwaukean?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Milwaukee. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Our knowledgeable guides will tell you exciting secrets about the city and perhaps introduce you to new favorites!
- Are cameras allowed?
- Yes, visitors are allowed and encouraged to take pictures at any of the establishments we visit.
- Are pets allowed?
- Due to the policies of the various food establishments we visit, pets are not allowed on this tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. Please click on the "Contact this Seller" link if you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Give the gift of exploring the sights and flavors of Milwaukee's most historic and delicious neighborhoods with a gift certificate for a Milwaukee Food Tour experience! These make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, or simply to say "Thank You" or "Welcome to Your New Home." The recipient selects their tour route of choice plus schedules the tour at a time convenient to their schedule. For complete details and to purchase a gift certificate, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Private tours and step-on guide service is available for large groups. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire further.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All guests must be 21 or over with a valid ID.
- Each attendee must be 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID.
Milwaukee Food Tours
We are Milwaukee's original - and award winning - food tour. I am a Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA), an alumna of Future Milwaukee 2009 and have served as a culinary speaker at a number of tourism-related conferences. We even recently won the 2010 Governor's Rising Star in Tourism Award! Credentials aside, at Milwaukee Food Tours, our passion is firmly rooted in food and in Milwaukee.
We are proud of two pieces of commentary often provided by our attendees: “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored Milwaukee like I did today” and “I was expecting a tasting but this was a full meal!” Whether you are a Milwaukee native, visiting the city on your own or traveling as part of group, you will not be disappointed. We consider our tours a progressive meal with a side of history.
Stories from Milwaukee's culinary scene are plentiful, and I invite you to immerse yourself into our culture in a fun and intimate way by experiencing a Milwaukee Food Tour. Come hungry, and be inspired!