The Historic Bar Tour: Pre-Prohibition is a 3-hour bus tour into some of the most historic and famous bars in Milwaukee. Spending about 30 minutes at each location, you'll relax while learning some of our most interesting and colorful history through the tales of our taverns.
We will visit four bars on this tour. You will enjoy four 6-ounce beers and one 6-ounce Old Fashioned. You will also receive a traditional German pretzel, discounts at some locations for return visits, a chance to win Milwaukee Food & City Tours trivia prizes, round-trip transportation and guided fun.
Only non-alcoholic substitutions will be offered for this tour. Please note that we also offer a discounted designated driver pricing.
- All guests on our Historic Bar Tour must be 21 or older.
- Although minimal walking is required, there is still walking involved.
- This tour is NOT handicap accessible and attendees will need to go up/down minimal stairs to get on/off the bus multiple times.
What Is Not Included?
Gratuities for your tour guide, although not required, are always appreciated.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great girls day!!
|Sschro9131||Sat, Aug 29 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
We had a fantastic girls day. Our guide was great and had lots of stories to tell.
Fun and educational
|merryz69||Sat, Aug 29 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Unspecified|
Took this tour with a small group of friends to celebrate a birthday. What a fun afternoon. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and friendly. Highly recommend this tour.
Very informative and fun!
|anubilee||Sat, Aug 29 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
I will definitely recommend. Tour guide was very informative, fun, and funny.
|halversb||Sat, Aug 29 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
Friends gathered for my birthday. We had a great time and we learned something! Snacks were good too!
Love history, you you enjoy this tour!
|Tjkonit||Sat, Aug 1 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
my husband and I enjoyed this tour. Although from the Milwaukee area we still learned a few things we didn't know.
We would recommend this tour.
See you on another tour soon!
|AngieAlarcon||Sat, Jul 18 2:00 PM||Unspecified||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This was for a Bachlorette Party -
|PatriciaTor||Sat, Jul 18 2:00 PM||Female||70+||Local||Other|
The bride-to-be and all of friends and family had a fantastic experience. Robert, our guide, was very informative,
very friendly and had a great personality.
|JustinG81||Sat, Jul 18 2:00 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
Great informative tour of the bars around Milwaukee where you can step back in time and drink in the city's heritage
Great Tour! Would do it again!
|belee32||Sat, Jul 18 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Unspecified||Couple on a Date|
My boyfriend and I really enjoyed the tour, the length of time was perfect. The drinks were great and the history was the best part. I thought it was a perfect date or perfect for any occasion. The tour guide was a lot of fun and extremely knowledgeable about both Milwaukee and beer. I would definitely do it again!
|torzalaam12||Sat, Jul 11 2:00 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Family Without Children|
Our tour guide was great! Very informative and enthusiastic. Learned some local history and enjoyed food/drinks.
- Is advance purchase required? Is cash accepted?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain, shine or snow! In the extremely rare event that the tour has to be canceled, you will be able to reschedule to another time or get credit for a future event.
- If a tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- If a date/time is sold out or not listed as an available tour date, there is always a chance that if requested, we can add an additional tour on that date/time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What is the maximum number of people per tour?
- As this is a bus tour with limited seating, the tour is limited to 22 attendees per tour.
- What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour provides an authentic German pretzel for guests to nibble on between visits to historic bars.
- Are beverages provided?
- You will enjoy 4 6-ounce beers and 1 6-ounce Old Fashioned. Only non-alcoholic substitutions will be provided. If you are purchasing a ticket that does not include alcohol tastings, the beverages included are lemonade, root beer and soda. Remember to bring cash with you if you want to purchase extra items.
- Does this tour have anything to offer someone who will not be participating in the alcohol tastings?
- Definitely! You'll enjoy learning about the history, architecture and entertainment destinations of the city, as well as be able to participate in trivia games. We offer a discounted rate if you will not be drinking alcohol.
- What about dietary restrictions?
- We will do our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions provided we are aware of them in advance. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you have upon purchasing your tickets. If you have further questions, please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire.
- Do we just drive around and drink?
- Absolutely not! Milwaukee has a wonderful, rich history. Visitors learn the history of the city and learn about the many ethnic influences that shaped our great city. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss history, culture, architecture, and entertainment offerings, and introduce you to newer establishments.
- What bars do we visit on the tour?
- It's a surprise! We will visit a variety of historic bars, but do keep in mind that the tour routes and thereby the exact places we visit may vary from tour to tour.
- How much walking is included?
- Although our specialty tour is via bus, please note that some walking is still required - we encourage you to wear comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate clothing. These special holiday tours are NOT handicap accessible and will require attendees to go up/down stairs.
- Can I bring children on the tour?
- No, all participants on this tour must be 21 or over with a valid ID.
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected bars.
- Is there parking near to the tour's meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native Milwaukean?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Milwaukee. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Our knowledgeable guides will tell you exciting secrets about the city and perhaps introduce you to new favorites!
- Are cameras allowed?
- Yes, visitors are allowed and encouraged to take pictures at any of the establishments we visit.
- Are pets allowed?
- Due to the policies of the various food establishments we visit, pets are not allowed on this tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. Please click on the "Contact this Seller" link if you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Give the gift of exploring the sights and flavors of Milwaukee's most historic and delicious neighborhoods with a gift certificate for a Milwaukee Food Tour experience! These make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, or simply to say "Thank You" or "Welcome to Your New Home." The recipient selects their tour route of choice plus schedules the tour at a time convenient to their schedule. For complete details and to purchase a gift certificate, please email email@example.com
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Private tours and step-on guide service is available for large groups. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire further.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All guests must be 21 or over with a valid ID.
- Each attendee must be 21 or older and have proper government-issued ID.
Milwaukee Food Tours
We are Milwaukee's original - and award winning - food tour. I am a Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA), an alumna of Future Milwaukee 2009 and have served as a culinary speaker at a number of tourism-related conferences. We even recently won the 2010 Governor's Rising Star in Tourism Award! Credentials aside, at Milwaukee Food Tours, our passion is firmly rooted in food and in Milwaukee.
We are proud of two pieces of commentary often provided by our attendees: “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored Milwaukee like I did today” and “I was expecting a tasting but this was a full meal!” Whether you are a Milwaukee native, visiting the city on your own or traveling as part of group, you will not be disappointed. We consider our tours a progressive meal with a side of history.
Stories from Milwaukee's culinary scene are plentiful, and I invite you to immerse yourself into our culture in a fun and intimate way by experiencing a Milwaukee Food Tour. Come hungry, and be inspired!