We'll meet at a local coffee shop where we'll first enjoy coffee and muffins, then we'll visit 3 churches - plus 2 chocolatiers - via bus. Coffee, muffins, chocolate treats, guided-fun and round-trip transportation are included in the price, along with donations to each church visited.
Sample itinerary of places we might visit:
St. Joan of Arc Chapel - perhaps the only medieval structure (1400's) in the entire Western Hemisphere dedicated to its original purpose
St. Paul's Episcopal Church - view their stunning and extensive stained glass window collection, including the largest window ever created by Tiffany
Grace Lutheran - celebrate 160 years of their history in downtown Milwaukee
- Our guests have a lot of fun shopping at each of the chocolate shops that we visit. Please consider bringing a tote or canvas shopping bag to keep track of all of your goodies on the bus.
- Although minimal walking is required, there is still walking involved.
- Church locations subject to change based on availability.
- This tour is NOT handicap accessible and attendees will need to go up/down minimal stairs to get on/off the bus multiple times.
What Is Not Included?
Gratuities for your tour guide, although not required, are always appreciated.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Fun outing with the family!
|lsotto||Sat, Dec 13, 14 9:30 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
Everything was excellent - the timing of the tour, the churches and chocolate shops selected, and the tour guide. Really enjoyed the variety of the churches we went too and the history provided was interesting and captivating. We hit up two of the best chocloate shops in the area and were impressed with the free gifts! The tour guide was excellent so keep her on staff! :)
|Lorrie60041||Sat, Dec 13, 14 9:30 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Other|
Sandy was an enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide. The length of the tour was ideal to allow enough time at each location. I will definitely sign up for another tour!
Tour Guide and Bus Driver get FIVE STARS!!
|charlesw1||Sat, Oct 11, 14 9:30 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Tour Guide and Driver= Very good! 5 STARS!!!
Churches= Grace Lutheran Church and super prepared Docent were exactly what we expected on this tour! Lots of history and architecture information. Docents at the last two churches were much less prepared. It was a good thing that our tour guide was able to "fill in the blanks" for them. We would not have put both of these churches on the same tour. St. James,, OR,, the soup kitchen but not both. Outreach programs are very important but we are from out of town so we were looking for more historical and architectural information. Might have been better to slip in St. Pauls Episcopal, St. Joan of Arc Chapel, St. Stanislaus Church or Basilica of Josaphat in the place of one of them.
Chocolate Factories= Super interesting and super informative. We all enjoyed this part of the tour a lot! Owners were fun and informative.
Would we take another tour with your company? YES. Our tour guide and driver were really wonderful. They went above and beyond to make sure we all had a super day.
Wonderful tour company
|Bonniezerve1||Sat, Jul 19, 14 9:30 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
I contacted the company with a huge list of accommodations and they exceeded my expectations. They accommodated my knee handicap, my 8 yr. old nephew’s short attention span, and my mother's diabetes. I had researched specific places that I wanted to see and they went out of their way to adjust the schedule and make the tour personalized! I highly recommend this tour to everyone interested in the culture, architecture, and history of Milwaukee.
It was great!
|PatMilewski||Sat, Jun 14, 14 9:30 AM||Female||70+||Local||Group of Friends|
It was a very interesting morning. Our hostess had a lot of knowledge about the churches we visited, she made us feel very comfortable. The church speakers shared a lot of information which included the church history, and the compassion they share for helping the less fortunate. Of course, visiting and receiving chocolate at the chocolate stores was a perfect ending to a relaxing, informative morning. I highly recommend this tour to any adult -- probably very young children wouldn't be interested -- but young adults and upward I think would enjoy it and gain a lot of insight into our Milwaukee community.
Fantastic Churches and Chocolates Tour
|emfolstad||Sat, Jun 14, 14 9:30 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
My sister and I took our grandma on the churches and chocolates tour as a gift. We had the most wonderful time! It's really a great deal and a lovely experience. Jean, the tour guide was energetic and knowledgeable. Even being from Bayview, I learned a lot of new information. The churches we visited were each beautiful and it was so nice to finally go in some of the places I drive by so frequently. And the chocolate shops were delicious! Such a great way to spend a morning. I would highly recommend it! We will definitely be doing this and other tours in the future, as I think it's going to become a tradition for the 3 of us. Thank you Milwaukee Food Tours!
Very interesting and fun!
|AmyKnoelke||Sat, Jun 14, 14 9:30 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family Without Children|
Very interesting with the little known history of the churches. Beautiful designs and stain glass. The chocolates were exceptional!
|cjensen98||Sat, May 10, 14 9:30 AM||Female||40-49||Unspecified||Unspecified|
I took this tour with my mother and we had a great time. The first church, Grace Luthern was excellent. The member from the church gave a wonderful detailed history of the church which was very interesting. The last church, St. Stans, was also interesting as it has a unique story. The middle church wasn't as interesting and could be replaced in my opinion, but didn't detract from the tour. The chocolate places were very unique and delicious! We received gift bags from both locations with the option to purchase more. Sandy, our tour guide, was fun and gave great facts along the way about the local area that I never knew even though I have lived in the Milwaukee area most of my life. I'm excited to go on another tour offered by this company as I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Informative, Amazing and Enriching
|Laurasfun||Sat, May 10, 14 9:30 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
The churches we visited had so much history to them and were very beautiful, down to every last facet of the buildings. And let's not forget the CHOCOLATE!! Atomic Chocolate had OUT OF THIS WORLD, melt in your mouth delicacies. The tour guide was also full of fun and interesting facts, not only about the churches, but also about downtown Milwaukee as well. DON'T MISS THIS TOUR!!
|Vacoulter||Sat, May 10, 14 9:30 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I found the Grace Lutheran and St. Stanislas speakers fascinating. They clearly enjoyed their jobs and where they worked and felt passionate about the building. Cavalry did not strike me as such. I would have preferred another speaker or another church since that man (pastor?) was willing to answer questions but that was about it.
I was happy with the 2 chocolate locations although.. can you ever go wrong with chocolate??
- Is advance purchase required? Is cash accepted?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain, shine or snow and therefore, we encourage you to dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. In the extremely rare event that the tour has to be canceled, you will be able to reschedule to another time or get credit for a future event.
- If a food tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- If a date/time is sold out or not listed as an available tour date, there is always a chance that if requested, we can add an additional tour on that date/time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What is the maximum number of people per tour?
- As this is a bus tour with limited seating, the tour is limited to 40 attendees per tour.
- What sort of food will I be sampling?
- The tour provides a wide range of chocolate samples as well as limited non-alcoholic beverages. Remember to bring cash with you if you want to purchase extra items!
- Are beverages provided?
- Limited non-alcoholic options are provided. Remember to bring cash with you if you want to purchase extra beverages!
- What about dietary restrictions?
- We will do our best to accommodate any dietary restrictions provided we are aware of them in advance. Please notify us of any dietary restrictions you have upon purchasing your tickets. If you have further questions, please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire.
- Do we just drive around to visit churches and sample chocolates?
- Absolutely not! Milwaukee has a wonderful, rich history. Visitors learn the history of the city and learn about the many ethnic influences that shaped our great city as well as learn about the holiday traditions of that ethnicity. The tour is fully narrated by your guide, who will discuss history, culture, architecture, and entertainment offerings, and introduce you to newer establishments.
- What places do we visit on the tour?
- It's a surprise! We will visit a variety of excellent chocolate shops and churches, but do keep in mind that the tour routes and thereby the exact places we visit may vary from tour to tour.
- How much walking is included?
- Although our tour is via bus and requires minimal walking between tasting locations, please note that this tour is NOT handicap accessible and will require attendees to go up and down stairs. We encourage you to wear comfortable shoes and weather-appropriate clothing.
- Can I bring children on the tour?
- We offer an adolescent ticket for kids 8 to 15. We also offer a free child ticket for those 7 and under who will not be participating in the tasting but will require a seat on the bus. Please do notify us if you will be bringing an infant who will not need a seat on the bus by entering a "Message to the Seller" when booking your tickets. Keep in mind that we will be discussing cultural history, and much of the tour involves eating and socializing. Please consider whether your children will enjoy the tour and whether it is appropriate for them.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- Absolutely - this is a great opportunity to stock up on your holiday treats!
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
- Is there parking near to the tour's meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native Milwaukean?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Milwaukee. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Our knowledgeable guides will tell you exciting secrets about the city and perhaps introduce you to new favorites!
- Are cameras allowed?
- Yes, visitors are allowed and encouraged to take pictures at any of the establishments we visit.
- Are pets allowed?
- Due to the policies of the various food establishments we visit, pets are not allowed on this tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link if you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Give the gift of exploring the sights and flavors of Milwaukee's most historic and delicious neighborhoods with a gift certificate for a Milwaukee Food Tour experience! These make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, or simply to say "Thank You" or "Welcome to Your New Home." The recipient selects their tour route of choice plus schedules the tour at a time convenient to their schedule. For complete details and to purchase a gift certificate, please email email@example.com
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Private tours and step-on guide service is available for large groups. Please click on the "Contact MKEFoodTours" link to inquire further.
Milwaukee Food Tours
We are Milwaukee's original - and award winning - food tour. I am a Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA), an alumna of Future Milwaukee 2009 and have served as a culinary speaker at a number of tourism-related conferences. We even recently won the 2010 Governor's Rising Star in Tourism Award! Credentials aside, at Milwaukee Food Tours, our passion is firmly rooted in food and in Milwaukee.
We are proud of two pieces of commentary often provided by our attendees: “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored Milwaukee like I did today” and “I was expecting a tasting but this was a full meal!” Whether you are a Milwaukee native, visiting the city on your own or traveling as part of group, you will not be disappointed. We consider our tours a progressive meal with a side of history.
Stories from Milwaukee's culinary scene are plentiful, and I invite you to immerse yourself into our culture in a fun and intimate way by experiencing a Milwaukee Food Tour. Come hungry, and be inspired!