We will savor the flavors of the Village of Wauwatosa with many delicious tastings.
On our standard dinner tour (subject to change due to special events), we typically enjoy stops at an Italian pizzeria, modern bistro, French cafe, a restaurant with Dutch or German flair, and dessert / wine at a local wine establishment.
Please note that for our Saturday lunch tour, it is more of a casual experience and may also include a visit to an olive oil shop, a local chocolatier and weather permitting, the Wauwatosa Farmers Market.
Celebrating our 9th anniversary, we are Milwaukee's premier, original and award-winning tour company. Our tours provide the ideal combination of food, culture and history too!
Please note that the Village of Wauwatosa is located 10 minutes west of downtown Milwaukee, conveniently just a few minutes off of 1-94.
Tour Length – The shortest route of all of our tour options, this tour is less than one mile, with plenty of walking breaks and opportunities to sit down along the way. We spend approximately 20 minutes at each restaurant. For private groups, we are able to arrange for plenty of shopping opportunities along the way as well at local business establishments such as an olive oil shop, wine shop, chocolate store and several clothing boutiques.
Time Commitment – Between 2 - 2.5 hours, depending on the pace of the group
Fun Facts–What is the history behind the many historic names of Wauwatosa? Why was Wauwatosa once known as "Pickle Alley?" These are just a few of the many questions to be answered on this unique glimpse into this quaint village of Wauwatosa.
Tastings - All tastings are included in the price. Portions are often served family-style. Samples are substantial - for the vast majority of attendees, you will not need to plan for a meal after the tour!
- With the exception of the Fish Fry Tour, all tours are seafood/shellfish free.
- We do have a vegetarian option on all tours.
- We are not able to make menu adjustments for food allergies, dietary restrictions or preferences on this public tour beyond the vegetarian option. This includes gluten, vegan, sugar-free and kosher requests.
- We are able to make allergy / preference accommodations on private walking tours for 8+ guests, or private bus tours for 12+ guests.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Had a great time!
|raaschd||Fri, Oct 16, 15 5:30 PM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Awesome food and even more awesome host. Kim was fantastic!
Milwaukee Food & City Tours responded:
Awesome! Thank you kindly for the feedback.
Fun Evening Tour!
|Durant||Fri, Oct 16, 15 5:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
We thoroughly enjoyed our Wauwatosa walking tour. The food was all excellent, and there was good variety. We appreciated that there were accommodations made for the one member of our party who is gluten intolerant. What made the tour especially fun was our outstanding tour guide, Kim. She is enthusiastic and has a great sense of humor. Many thanks, Kim, for a fun evening!
Milwaukee Food & City Tours responded:
Thank you for the review! We love hearing that you enjoyed so many aspects of our Wauwatosa tour. All of our guides are fantastic at what they do and strive to give you the best tour possible! If it's a bus tour you're seeking this winter, let us recommend our Milwaukee Fish Fry tour, Pizza Bus tour, or any of our popular Christmas tours!
|lisaacuff||Fri, Oct 16, 15 5:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
The tour was great and so was our tour guide. Great food and drinks too!
Milwaukee Food & City Tours responded:
Great to hear! Thanks for your review.
Fun, informative, historical, good food and bev's
|staggerwing||Fri, Oct 16, 15 5:30 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Our "tour guide" Kim, who is a 2nd grad teacher, was very energetic, had a great knowledge of the history of the community, was humorous, super personality, and made sure everyone was taken care of on a personal level and ran the tour extremely smoothly. The places we visited were ready for us and accommodating. The food and beverages were very good and it was fun to meet and interact with new people.
I would highly recommend Milwaukee Food Tours and, if this is possible, recommend requesting Kim as your tour guide.
Milwaukee Food & City Tours responded:
Great, thank you so much for the detailed review! Your feedback is much appreciated. All of our tour guides are very talented; we're lucky to have so many fun guides and great places to take our tours to. If you're looking for a fun tour this winter, be sure to check out our Christmas tours!
Great tour - great tour guide
|Truedat1964||Fri, Oct 16, 15 5:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Awesome night. Great food. Will definitely be doing more tours. Kim was awesome tour guide once again.
Milwaukee Food & City Tours responded:
Thanks for your review! We look forward to seeing you on your next awesome tour!
|Sasikorski||Fri, Jul 31, 15 6:30 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Family Without Children|
A great overview of downtown Tosa with a very enthusiastic and informative tour guide. A fun/different event to try lots of different places. Well worth the price.
|Maureenkrml||Thu, Jul 2, 15 5:30 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Other|
An enthusiastic tour guide, friendly people in our group and excellent food summarizes the evening spent with my mother on the Wauwatosa food tour.
I did feel that it was unprofessional for the tour guide to be drinking at every stop on the tour. Is drinking on the job allowed on all of your tours? As a non drinker I was surprised at the emphasis on drinking as much as food. The information on your website did not indicate that a customer's cost would include a cost for drinks. My mother and I were only offered water at four out of our five stops. We were only offered an alternative to the alcoholic beverage at Hollister's. A suggestion might be to have a reduced price for the tour for non drinkers or to have an alternative beverage offered at each stop.
Thank you for the opportunity to review the tour.
Glad we went on the food tour.
|PamLefeber||Sat, Jun 27, 15 5:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
The Wawautosa tour consisted of 5 stops. The first stop was excellent with a beer sampling, a great salad, and appetizer. The second stop was also good with a drink, fries and burger. The burger and fries were cold by the time the entire group was seated and served. They did provide new fires for us. The pizza stop was disappointing. No beverage except water and the serving size of the pizza was small for the group size. The pizza was not very good. Next we went to a wine lounge. Cute place, but I think another food stop would have been better since we already had beer and a mixed drink at the previous stops. The last place, for dessert, was awesome.
|Cooktogo||Sat, Jun 27, 15 5:30 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
My friend and I found Wauwatosa very interesting and walkable. The food was varied and filling. Our tour guide Brit was funny and knowledgeable. All in all, a nice way to sample foods, wines, desserts, meet other taster's and learn the history of Wauwatosa.
|k_farvour||Fri, Aug 22, 14 5:30 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Such a fun tour! Sandy was a great tour guide, and the food we had was delicious! We especially loved the dessert at Le Reve and the atmosphere at Firefly. Could've skipped the popcorn and the wine at Ruby Tap - but everything else was awesome!
- Is advance purchase required? Is cash accepted?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Cash is not accepted.
- What happens if it rains or snows?
- The tours are held rain, shine or snow! As each of the establishments on all of our tour routes are within a short walk of each other, we encourage you to dress appropriately for the day's weather conditions. We will go inside all of the establishments on the tour while dining, unless the weather is ideal for outdoor patio dining in which case we may eat outdoors. In the extremely rare event that the tour has to be canceled, you will be able to reschedule to another time or receive a full refund.
- If a food tour is sold out, is there a waiting list?
- If a date/time is sold out or not listed as an available tour date, there is always a chance that if requested, we can add an additional tour on that date/time. Please click on the "Contact this Seller" link to let us know what date you are interested in.
- What is the maximum number of people per tour?
- In order to provide an intimate, personalized experience, the public tour options are limited to 16 people per tour guide. For private tours, additional tour guides can be added to accommodate additional attendees.
- How much food is served on the tour? What sort of food will I be sampling?
- Each of our tours contain 5 - 7 stops for tastings, and the foods we sample always include tasty items desired by any foodie with Wisconsin-brewed beer and occasionally other spirits (particularly on our Bloody Third Ward Bloody Mary Brunch tour!), plus a sweet ending of chocolate. Keep in mind that food-tasting locations vary from tour to tour and may change without notice. Enough food is served that a meal afterwards is not necessary. We are proud that at the end of tours we often hear “I was expecting a tasting but this was a full meal!” You will not be disappointed - we consider our tours a progressive meal, with a side of history. Each attendee will also receive a complimentary packet of spices so that they can bring the tastes of Milwaukee into their own kitchen!
- Are beverages provided?
- Yes, water as well as at least one, 5-ounce sample of Wisconsin-brewed beer is always included on each of our tours. Occasionally other spirits are offered for sampling as well. For underage participants or those uninterested in alcoholic drinks, root beer and/or lemonade is offered. In addition, all of the tasting locations are able to sell additional beverages to attendees, however, this is not encouraged as we will only spend approximately 20 minutes in each restaurant and do not want our guests to feel rushed in enjoying a beverage. If you do choose to purchase additional beverages, please be sure to bring cash with you to do so.
- What about dietary restrictions?
- With the exception of the Fish Fry Tour, all tours are seafood/shellfish free. We do have a vegetarian option on all tours. We are not able to make menu adjustments for food allergies, dietary restrictions or preferences on this public tour beyond the vegetarian option. This includes gluten, vegan, sugar-free and kosher requests. We are able to make allergy / preference accommodations on private walking tours for 8+ guests, or private bus tours for 12+ guests.
- Do we just walk around and sample food?
- Absolutely not! Milwaukee has a wonderful, rich history and our attendees hear the history of the city and learn about the many ethnic influences that shaped our great city. Aside from sampling delicious food, you will be provided with cultural insight of the neighborhood. The tour is fully narrated by your guide who will discuss history, culture, architecture and entertainment offerings while leading you to both well-known and newer establishments for samplings.
- What restaurants do we visit on the tour?
- It's a surprise! We will visit a variety of excellent eateries, but do keep in mind that the tour routes and thereby the exact restaurants we visit may vary from tour to tour.
- How much walking is included?
- Tours last between 2 and 2.5 hours depending on the pace of our group. Each of our tour routes is approximately one mile with the exception of our Wauwatosa tour, which requires even less walking. We always walk at a moderate pace, and we sit to eat at most of the establishments. Private tours via pedicab, limo or bus can be arranged with advanced notice.
- Can I bring children on the tour?
- We offer an adolescent ticket, and children ages 7 and younger may come on the tour free of charge. Please do notify us if you will be bringing any children ages 7 or younger upon purchasing your tickets. Keep in mind that we will be discussing cultural and history, and much of the tour is walking, eating and socializing. Please consider whether your children will enjoy the tour and whether it is appropriate for them.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- We ask that you wait to shop until after the tour so that we can stay on schedule and continue with the tastings in a timely manner. We recommend that you allow time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite locations and/or stores, and provide a Tasting Guide which will include addresses of each establishment as well as discount coupons for your return visit. For private group tours, additional time for shopping can easily be incorporated into the tour per your advance request to do so.
- Does the tour end at the same place we meet?
- Most of our tours begin and end in the same location, however, our Brady Street tour does not and requires walking approximately a four-blocks to return to the starting point. Your guide will provide detailed return directions, which can be accomplished via foot, pedicab, taxi, or bus.
- Where is the Village of Wauwatosa?
- The Village of Wauwatosa is less than a 15 minute drive outside downtown Milwaukee.
- Is the tour wheelchair and baby stroller accessible?
- Yes, our tour routes and food tasting establishments are wheelchair accessible and baby stroller friendly.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Yes, bathrooms are available during the tour at selected food-tasting locations.
- Is there parking near to the tour's meeting point?
- Yes, there is parking located near the meeting point. Specific parking details are included in the meeting location directions after purchasing.
- Does this tour have anything to offer a native Milwaukeean?
- Definitely! Many of our attendees live right here in Milwaukee. Locals often attend to learn about the neighborhoods and the city in which they live. Our knowledgeable guides will tell you exciting secrets about the city and perhaps introduce you to new favorites! Tour attendees often say, “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored Milwaukee like I did today.”
- Are cameras allowed?
- Yes, visitors are allowed and encouraged to take pictures at any of the establishments we visit.
- Are pets allowed?
- Due to the policies of the various food establishments we visit, pets are not allowed on this tour.
- Are tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English at this time. Please click on the "Contact this Seller" link if you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour.
- Does the tour leader accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are greatly appreciated, although not mandatory.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Give the gift of exploring the sights and flavors of Milwaukee's most historic and delicious neighborhoods with a gift certificate for a Milwaukee Food Tour experience! These make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries, or simply to say "Thank You" or "Welcome to Your New Home." The recipient selects their tour route of choice plus schedules the tour at a time convenient to their schedule. For complete details and to purchase a gift certificate, please email email@example.com
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes! Many of our private tours are identical to our public tours but can be customized to suit your group's needs and interests. For example, additional time for shopping can be added into the experience or walking can be eliminated from routes, etc. Besides our public walking tour options, we also offer several additional options that can be built onto the food tour experience for private groups including Cooking Tips & Techniques classes, Factory Tours, Green-Friendly “Farm & Table” Tours, our very fun Beer, Brats & Bowling Tour (we even ‘schlemiel, schlemazel’ with Fonzie on this tour) and our signature Progressive Lunches/Day in Milwaukee Ethnic Adventure. To book a private tour, simple email theresa at firstname.lastname@example.org to request your desired tour date and pricing options.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- All participants 21 and older must bring valid ID.
- We require a valid ID proving you are 21 or older to participate in the beer and wine sampling portions of the tour. Please make sure you have it with you as the vendors will need to verify this information before you can participate in the alcohol tastings!
Milwaukee Food & City Tours
We are Milwaukee's original, premier and award winning food tour. I am a Certified Tourism Ambassador (CTA), an alumna of Future Milwaukee and have served as a culinary speaker at a number of tourism-related conferences. We even won the Governor's Rising Star in Tourism Award, and the Dear MKE Award through VISIT Milwaukee. Credentials aside, at Milwaukee Food & City Tours, our passion is firmly rooted in food and in Milwaukee and Wisconsin.
We are proud of two pieces of commentary often provided by our attendees: “I’ve lived here my entire life and never explored Milwaukee like I did today” and “I was expecting a tasting but this was a full meal!” Whether you are a Milwaukee native, visiting the city on your own or traveling as part of group, you will not be disappointed. We consider our tours a progressive meal with a side of history.
Stories from Milwaukee's culinary scene are plentiful, and I invite you to immerse yourself into our culture in a fun and intimate way by experiencing Milwaukee Food & City Tours. Come hungry, and be inspired!