Follow your guide to some of the best Italian markets this side of Rome:
- Discover a pasticceria that offers the best biscotti, sfogliatelle, cannoli and other confections.
- Check out a neighborhood deli known for the best prosciutto; learn how to select the freshest olive oil and how to identify "real" balsamic vinegar. We'll discuss the different types of cheeses and tell you how to distinguish artisan pasta from the commercially produced varieties.
- Savor the scents of an 80-year-old coffee and spice shop while learning about Italian coffee culture and various old-world ingredients.
- Stop at a greengrocer to learn about select seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Tour an enoteca to learn how to select aperitivi to begin, wine to complement, and digestivi to conclude your meal.
- Relive memories of growing up in an Italian household.
During this European-style tour, you will not be eating your way through the neighborhood. Rather, our goal is to provide you with an understanding of the Mediterranean diet and methods of identifying and buying authentic Italian ingredients.
"It’s like visiting Italy…no passport required!" Your world and dinner will never be the same.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Fun and educational
|Macierika||Sat, Nov 21 2:00 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Family Without Children|
At first I thought it was going to be very touristy. It turned out to be a fun and enjoyable day. Learned a lot and good food.
Enjoyable but needs a refresh
|bmiaoulis||Sat, Nov 21 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
I enjoyed the tour and I think Beth is knowledgeable and personable. I attended the same tour about 5 years ago with Jim, and enjoyed it so much I bought this tour as a gift for my friend. I was disappointed to see that the tour has barely changed. So much of the information was the same. I realize that it's important to cover the same material but I would've have thought their would've been at least a few updates. I will recommend the tour but won't attend ever again.
|Cadriscoll||Wed, Nov 18 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
This was a wonderful way to spend 3hours! Suzi was very informative. We learned so many new things . We saw the many hidden gems of the north end. I would highly recommend this tour!
|Lorraine2402||Wed, Nov 18 10:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
A total of 6 friends did this. Everyone was impressed. This a group that we do something every month,this was a hands down favorite, our guide was knowledgeable and very pleasant. Have been recommending it to everyone.
Great tour! So much fun!
|palumbon||Sat, Nov 14 2:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
The tour was thoroughly enjoyable. I loved getting to meet local restaurant and business owners. i enjoyed having samples of some of the different kinds of food. Our guide was very knowledgeable. I now feel like I can navigate the market like a local.
|ttalluto||Sat, Nov 14 2:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
Our tour guide was full of much information and knowledge. She also gave us some cooking tips! I had fun and enjoyed the day.
Wow. Fun, delicious and educational day!!
|JoanJarvis||Fri, Nov 13 3:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
If you want to know more about Italian cooking, OR, want to know more about the north end
This is the tour for you!
A must tour if planning on visiting the North End.
|Rebat8888||Wed, Nov 11 2:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our small group was pleasantly surprised with the North End Market Tour we participated in last Wednesday. Suzi was a true professional as our Tour Guide, her knowledge of the North End was priceless and her delivery at each stop was very informative and had you thirsting for more information as you progressed to your next stop. The knowledge obtained on the tour will have us returning to the North End whenever we venture to Boston.
Fun and Informative!
|jdeshaies||Wed, Nov 11 2:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
My wife and I went on the tour for our anniversary. We had a great time and learned a lot. I would highly recommend.
Excellent tour and learning experience
|Rhinoman123||Sat, Nov 7 3:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
We greatly enjoyed the tour because it delved into the history of Italian cuisine and how it related to the historic aspects of the North End of Boston and the authentic American Italian experience. We learned a great deal about the elements of Italian cooking and the best places to buy the ingredients as well as some of the best places to dine in the North End. We would recommend this tour for both out of town visitors as well as locals who want to know more about this beloved jewel of a neighborhood.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or AmEx. Cash is not accepted.
- Do you require a minimum number of tickets for the tour to take place?
- Yes, we only run our tours with at least 4 people. Since this is a very popular tour, this is not usually an issue, but during the winter months it may happen a bit more frequently. If you would like to go on a tour that has not yet met the minimum, and you do not wish to purchase 4 tickets, you may place yourself on the wait list by clicking on the "place your group on the wait list" link on the purchase page. We will then contact you if the tour opens up so that you can purchase your tickets.
- If a tour is sold out can I get on a waiting list?
- We do not provide a waiting list. If a date is sold out, it is likely that we will add an additional tour. Please contact us via e-mail at email@example.com or by clicking “Contact MicheleTopor” to let us know what date you are interested in.
- Do you offer custom private group tours?
- We welcome custom group tours from 10-60 people on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday. Please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click “Contact MicheleTopor” to the left of the page and let us know the details of your request. A North End Market Tour representative will contact you shortly.
- Does the tour include lunch?
- While we wil be tasting specific Italian food ingredients so that you have benchmark flavors, lunch will not be provided, so please plan to eat before or after the tour - think of it as an antipasto to whet your appetite.
- What if I have dietary restrictions?
- We will be tasting specific Italian food ingredients so that you have benchmark flavors. If you have dietary restrictions (vegetarian, diabetic, kosher), you could just simply refrain from those particular tastings.
- Can I shop on the tour?
- We ask that you wait to shop until after the tour so that we can spend more time learning about the fabulous Italian food ingredients and enjoying the tastes we have arranged. Hopefully, you will allow yourselves some extra time at the end of the tour to return to your favorite stores.
- What is the maximum number of people on a tour?
- Since the shops are very small, we limit the regular tour to 13-14 depending on the day. Saturday tours before Christmas and Easter may be limited to 10 people.
- What if it rains or the weather is inclement?
- The tour is held rain or shine. If the weather is very inclement, e.g. heavy snow or hurricane, the tour may be cancelled. Refunds will be offered in the extremely rare event that the company cancels the tour, but in all other situations, no refunds will be provided.
- Who will be leading the tour? Can I register for a tour that Michele will be conducting?
- Most tours are led by Michele’s personally trained assistants (guides). Depending on availability, Michele might be leading a tour but there is no way of knowing beforehand. Rest assured that Michele's standards are very high - her assistants are terrific and each one brings their own special style.
- Are gratuities for the tour guide included in the ticket price?
- Gratuities (tips) for your guide are not included in the ticket price. If you enjoyed your tour, tipping your guide is acceptable, optional, and always appreciated.
- Where do the tours start?
- Upon registration you will receive a confirmation indicating where you are to meet the tour group.
- Where do the tours end?
- The tour route will depend on how busy the stores might be on a given day. The weekday and regularly scheduled Saturday tours will usually end at the corner of Richmond and North St. The 3pm Saturday afternoon tour and any other added tour will end at the corner of Fleet and Hanover St.
- I’m Italian American and have shopped in the North End for years – will the tour offer me anything new?
- We have had many local North Enders on tour and they have been amazed at their new food finds. And most important, they are able to relive memories of their childhood and learn how their food culture evolved.
- What if I don’t live in Boston, why would I want to take the tour?
- To learn about one of the most vibrant ethnic neighborhoods in this country. Since the tour is like a walking cooking class, you will learn about how Italians eat, the best ingredients and how to buy them, special cooking tips, and what a feast for the senses! Since most of the stores also sell online, you will learn about great sources for ingredients. Your world and dinner will never be the same.
- Is the morning tour different from the afternoon tour?
- Both tours offer the very same information and food tastings. If you plan on staying in the neighborhood to revisit many of the stores after the tour, you might want to do the morning tour, keeping mind that most of the stores generally close at 6pm. Otherwise, many tour participants just want to stay on after the tour to enjoy dinner at one of our many fabulous restaurants.
- I took the tour a couple of years ago. Has anything changed?
- The discussion of the most important ingredients remain the same. Some ingredients change according to the seasons, especially during Easter and Christmas, when the neighborhood is most festive. As we learn more, we do our best to improve upon and enhance the tour.
- Will there be any place to sit during the tour? Is it a fast paced tour?
- Only one store has limited seating. The tour involves standing and walking as we wind our way through the neighborhood, visiting about 6 stores. You should plan to be on your feet for the length of the tour, so wear your comfortable walking shoes. We do walk at a relatively quick pace. The neighborhood is a bit under 1/3 square mile and we walk up and down about 8-9 blocks.
- Can you accommodate people with disabilities? What about strollers?
- Some of the stores have a step up to enter and are not wheelchair accessible. Most of the stores are also very tiny. If you are able to leave the wheelchair outside of the store and enter with a cane, the tour can accommodate you. Strollers will also have to remain outside the store. There is no problem with their safety outside the door of the store.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Since the tour is three hours long and most children have a limited attention span, the tour may not be appropriate for them. Parents, who know their children best, should assess the situation individually. When deciding whether the tour is appropriate for your child, please consider the tiny congested stores, the amount of standing in place while listening to the guide, and the other participants on tour. Children tend to get very fidgety and command the parents attention. The parents then miss most of the discussion and the whole group gets distracted.
- Do you visit restaurants on the tour?
- We don’t walk into restaurants but we provide you with a handout of our favorite restaurants and point out our favorites as we pass by. Remember, this is a very subjective commentary.
- Are the tours offered only in English?
- Yes, we only offer tours in English. If you would like to make arrangements for your own interpreter to join the tour, please contact North End Market Tours by clicking “Contact MicheleTopor” or e-mail us at email@example.com.
- Are gift certificates available for the North End Market Tour?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for the North End Market Tour, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for the North End Market Tour please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Can we take photos during the tour?
- Still camera shots are welcomed and with the characters in the neighborhood, you could find yourself with some memorable photos. Video cameras are not allowed.
- Are bathrooms available during the tour?
- Except for emergencies, bathroom stops are not available during the tour. Prior to the tour, all coffee shops have bathrooms for customers.
- Do you offer discounts for travel agents?
- The standard travel agent discount is 10% for up to 4 people. This discount is valid for travel agents who will be attending the tour, and requires the agent to provide a business card at the start of the tour. To use this discount, please contact North End Market Tours by clicking “Contact MicheleTopor” and providing your travel agency’s name and contact information.
Michele Topor, Inc.
Since Michele is not available to conduct most of the tours, she has personally selected and trained her guides to convey not only the secrets of the cuisine in the high quality of ingredients but also the sense of regional tradition, the healthfulness of the Italian diet, and that very Italian love of life.