New York City's Metropolitan Museum of Art is a massive, venerable cultural institution. We realize that even the most seasoned art experts take longer than a few hours to digest all that lies within the Met's hallowed walls, and we don't claim to show you everything. What we offer is a fun, group-oriented tour experience certain to keep you entertained and teach you a bit along the way.
On a 2 hour Museum Hack tour, you should expect:
- Group participation
- Exciting history
- A fast pace
- Fun photos
- 100% Satisfaction
"I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your tour. It did what all great education does, it made me think differently. No longer is the MET, or any other museum, just a building that houses interesting things. Now it's a work unto itself and one that I plan on appreciating more often thanks to your introduction. Thank you for allowing me the absolute pleasure of joining you for a glimpse into the beauty of the MET."
- Scott of Scott's Pizza Tours
"Thanks a ton for last week's tour. I had a seriously fun time. People like you and projects like your art tour are what make me excited and happy to live in NYC."
- Dan Rollman, Co-Founder and CEO, RecordSetter World Records
For a fun, new look at the Met, take a tour with Museum Hack!
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Wish museum hack was at every museum
|WinnifredLee||Wed, Apr 8 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Nora was fabulous for our family visiting the MET for the first time. We and other family in the group included four young adult children (aged 14-20). She engaged us all from the beginning! It was fun but really informative. Nora also knew inside stories about the MET and different art works that would not be on an audiotape! We visited a wonderful range of works in the 2+ hours, which would otherwise have been difficult for a family group ( like otherwise who would decide to go where ?! Everyone always just wants to see their favourites instead of the variety we saw with Nora.)My sons and husband thanked me afterwards and said it was their best museum experience ever. I felt the same. We wanted to go on another tour immediately. Thankyou Nora!
|TaraMorstatt||Tue, Apr 7 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Great way to see the museum. Our tour guide Michelle R. was excellent. Highly recommend this tour.
The best way to see the Met
|MManduley||Sun, Apr 5 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Took my 16 year old and we both had a blast, this is a fun and entertaining way to learn about art. We learned so much more than we would have if we had gone alone or on a traditional tour. Our tour guide, Michelle (who majored in art history at Georgetown) is knowledgeable, smart and fun. We will definitely do the Museum Hack tour again!
|sblinn||Sat, Apr 4 2:30 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Local||Individual|
This is not your typical Met tour!
What this tour offers is a fun, interactive experience that you won't find elsewhere at the Met. You won't see just the highlights - hence the name "Un-Highlights Tour." You'll see the quirky, the offbeat, and the things you won't see on other tours. You'll walk through galleries that you didn't know existed. You'll hear stories about the art and the artists. You'll get a chance to talk about the art instead of flying past things.
You actually will see a couple of the museum's highlights, but you'll get the behind the scenes story about how they were acquired, the artists, and the people who surrounded them. Did you know that an iconic painting about the American Revolution was painted in Germany who had never actually been to the United States? You'll learn that. You'll see some great works... and the graffiti carved into them.
Most of all, though, you'll have fun. You will also learn that art and museums are accessible, fun, and that everyone can enjoy the experience. If you're an art fan, take this tour and learn about the side they don't teach you in class. If you're not much of an art fan, you will be by the end of this!
Metropolitan Art Museum Hack
|scrubjay||Fri, Apr 3 2:30 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
So much fun!
Jessey and Miles were terrific
|mashapelts||Fri, Apr 3 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
Fun tour. Worked great for my son, who did not really want to go to any museum. Very fast paced, not boring at all.
Harry the Hack made our tour memorable!
|Mckeonma||Mon, Mar 30 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I would have loved the museum anyway, but the tour revealed to us many details we would have otherwise missed. We were also guided in such a fun, interactive way. I would do it again!
Unhighlight Tour a Highlight of our Trip
|suzieq39work||Sat, Mar 21 2:30 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The tour was interactive, fun and interesting. A great way to fit in a museum visit on a busy trip to NYC.
Add to your MUST DO LIST while in NYC!!!
|lolalola||Sat, Mar 21 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
A new way to visit the MET. Whether this is the first time or if you have been a member for almost 40 years (like I am), this innovative, humorous, quick paced, engaging adventure throughout the museum highlights obvious, but mostly "hidden in plain sight" treasures. Ethan was entertaining and knowledgeable. Do not miss this opportunity! Great for families or solo visitors. I plan to "gift" tickets for this experience to my family and friends.
|Hayley0903||Sun, Mar 15 2:30 PM||Female||40-49||Combination||Family Without Children|
I think that it's a great idea but was very expensive for the amount of exhibits we saw. I think at half the price it would be more highly recommended. Also we were expecting to meet new people and it landed up being just us. But disappointing as it wasn't the most suitable time.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes, tickets must be purchased in advance. Tours often sell out so we suggest purchasing your tickets early to guarantee your desired tour day. You can buy your tickets either online or by phone with a Visa, MasterCard or American Express.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- We do not have an official age limit, and kids are welcome to attend. However, keep in mind that the tour's content is built to appeal generally to those ages 15 and older, so parents should use their own discretion when deciding whether or not to bring their children. There is no reduced rate for children.
- How much walking or standing will there be? Are there stairs?
- The Met is a 4-story structure and we will be on our feet for the majority of the 2-hour tour. Guests will have the opportunity to sit down at a few points on the tour, but we will be using the stairs.
- Is the Met wheelchair accessible?
- Yes, the Met is wheelchair accessible. We have no issue whatsoever accommodating wheelchair users on our tours.
- Do you allow photography?
- Yes! We welcome our guests to take photos during the tour. Be mindful that the Met prohibits flash photography, however, so photographs must be taken without flash.
- Are refreshments available for purchase?
- Yes, drinks and snacks are available for purchase inside the Met at one of its various cafes. Keep in mind, however, that outside food is strictly prohibited within the museum but bottled water is OK.
- What should I wear?
- We recommend that you dress comfortably and wear shoes for walking as you will be on your feet for the majority of the tour.
- Can I bring a bag/backpack or store my luggage?
- The Met has very strict policies regarding bags and luggage. All backpacks and packages must be checked at the coat-check facility. Large, over sized backpacks, luggage, and carry-on bags can not be brought inside or checked at coat-check, so be sure to leave these at home! We recommend traveling lite to avoid waiting on lines at coat-check!
- Is parking available?
- Yes, there is a parking garage within the Met as well as a number of garages in the area. Keep in mind that daily parking rates do apply, and you should leave yourself extra time to arrive at the meeting location punctually after parking.
- Is admission to the Met included in the ticket price?
- Your ticket price includes tour admission and admission to the Met.
- What about bad weather?
- Museum Hack tours take place entirely within the Metropolitan Museum, so tours will take place rain or shine.
- When is the best time to visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art?
- For our Un-highlights tours, we highly suggest the earliest option available (usually 10:15am). This is the time when the Museum is the least crowded and your guide can move you quickly through the space.
- Is the Met open all year round?
- While Museum Hack tours are not offered every day, the Met is open 7 days a week throughout the year. It does close on some holidays, including Thanksgiving Day and others. You can check out their hours here: http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/hours-and-admission.
- Is there a gift shop at the Met?
- Yes, the Met has gift shops scattered throughout its various floors and levels. While we will not have time to visit them during the tour, we absolutely encourage you to visit them afterwards. Your guide will be happy to direct you to one of the gift shops after the tour.
- Are pets allowed on the tour?
- No, other than certified service dogs, pets are not permitted.
- Do you sell tour gift certificates?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this activity, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Do you offer private or group tours?
- Yes, private group tours are available. Group tour hours and fees vary from our regular schedule. Please click on the "Contact MuseumHack" link to the left to schedule a private tour for your group.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tour is seriously not advised for children under 12
- You should book a private family tour with us instead so we can better tailor the tour -- including no swearing or avoiding sexual content. While children are allowed to come along on this public tour, the content is geared towards adults and adult themes. Bringing a child is ultimately up to the discretion of the parents.
- We post cool pictures on Facebook!
- Your Museum Hack guide may photograph you and put the pictures on our Facebook, Twitter, or blog. If you do not want to be photographed, let us know and we are happy to keep the pictures private. By purchasing your ticket, you are releasing Museum Hack from any liability for photographing you in conjunction with the tour, and from using your likeness in all media for all purposes in perpetuity.
This is not your average art history lecture. Seamlessly woven into the experience are team building exercises that foster a creative and supportive environment, build a sense of togetherness, and help improve critical thinking and presentation skills...all within the hallowed walls of New York's greatest cultural institution.