Newport Gourmet Tours offers two unique tours, each featuring a half dozen or so stops, opportunities to sample sweet and savory treats, and each led by a "seasoned" chef who can offer a unique perspective on what you are eating along the way.
Broadway, in Newport, was once the city's main thoroughfare, and is now home to some of its finest restaurants and pubs. When locals and other Newport chefs want to experience something different and delicious, this is where they go!
On the Broadway Tour you'll:
- Walk in the footsteps of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, and see one of their favorite pubs--still in operation today
- Meet the chefs and eat at some of Newport's most unique restaurants
- Visit the city's favorite bakery
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance? Can I pay cash?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance, and tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express. Cash is accepted at the time of the tour, but only if there is space available. We strongly recommend that you buy in advance.
- Do the tours run rain or shine?
- Yes, Newport Gourmet Tours run rain or shine. We will provide umbrellas for you to use. If weather is particularly harsh, we do reserve the right to reschedule, but we anticipate nothing but sunny skies all season long!
- Are children allowed on the tour? What about babies in strollers?
- Unfortunately we cannot accommodate children under the age of 12, including babies. We love kids, but space and liability issues limit us.
- If a tour is sold out, is there any chance you will add on more spaces for my group?
- Unfortunately, no. So buy early!
- How much food is served on the tour? What kind of tastings will there be?
- There are approximately 7 stops on the Broadway tour. While the amount and kind of food will vary each day, we suspect you will feel quite satisfied by tour's end.
- Are any beverages provided on the tour? Can I bring my own?
- Some stops may offer a beverage, but feel free to bring your own just in case. Rhode Island does not allow open containers of alcohol to be transported in public, so water or soft drinks only, please.
- How many people are in the tour group?
- We limit groups to 12 people per tour so that the experience is friendly, intimate, and not over-crowded.
- I'm concerned about the distance that we will have to walk. Will it wear me out?
- Newport Gourmet Tours proceed at a leisurely pace. For the most part, the Broadway Tour covers completely flat terrain. You'll walk less than two miles in two hours, and you can always have a seat when we arrive at a destination. Frankly, being professional foodies, we're on the chubby side ourselves and don't move that fast!
- What about my food allergies?
- Unfortunately, if you have food allergies to peanuts, shellfish, or anything else, you may want to consider opting out of some of the tasting samples. Newport Gourmet Tours and our partners along the way cannot at any time guarantee that certain ingredients are not present in the food they serve to you.
- Are cameras allowed?
- Absolutely! Click away...and then share the good pics with us so we can add them to our website.
- Should I tip my guide?
- No, thank you -- we are the tour guides and the owners, so it is not necessary.
- Is the tour route wheelchair accessible?
- For the most part, the terrain we cover is flat and most, but not all, stops are wheelchair accessible. However, we don't recommend wheelchairs for the tours as spaces in shops and kitchens can be very limited and difficult to access via wheelchair.
- Can I bring a pet with me on the tour?
- It is against Rhode Island Department of Health regulations to have animals in kitchens and dining rooms. We have to leave our two Labradors, Olive and Lemon, at home and we ask that you do the same with your pets.
- What if I'm from Newport, will I enjoy the tour?
- Completely! As a Newporter or Rhode Islander, you will love learning more about the culinary talent in your own back yard. And while you may have dined at some of the establishments we will take you to, it's rare that you get to see the kitchens or meet the chefs who prepare the food you love. You'll end up with a new appreciation for Newport's culinary landscape.
- Can I shop along the way? Do we get discounts at any of the stops?
- We always encourage shopping! But as most stops offer a bite to eat, they don't as a rule offer an additional discount.
- What if I have a last-minute question or concern?
- Call us! You're not dealing with a huge corporation here -- just two foodies who want to show you the best Newport has to offer. We're available via phone and you will be provided with our contact information upon purchasing tickets.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Absolutely! Please click on the "Contact NewportFoods" link to request a gift certificate.
- Can I book a private tour?
- We would love to book a private tour for your group, whether it's two or 12 people. Let us know what you're interested in via the "Contact NewportFoods" link and we'll arrange the details!
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Children under 12 not permitted.
- Children under 12 are not allowed on the tour. All guests must have a standard priced ticket in order to attend.
Newport Gourmet Tours
Ann Martini has more than 10 years experience in publishing and chef and restaurant public relations, and has worked with top chefs and food events all over the country. Her years as an editor at Rhode Island Monthly magazine offered her an inside view of Rhode Island's growing culinary community.
Together, Ann and Michael form the perfect team to take you on a culinary excursion you won't soon forget!