Discover the grandeur of Old Boston in Beacon Hill. You'll be transported to a different place and time. Photo opportunities include:
- The Shaw Memorial
- Beacon Hill's picturesque streets
- Acorn Street
- Louisburg Square
- Much more!
Includes the PhotoWalks Guide to Creative Photography booklet.
Schedule: Tuesday, Saturday @ 10a.m. (year round)
What Is Not Included?
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Tickets must be purchased in advance to guarantee your spots. Tours sell out quickly! Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard, or American Express.
- What about taking children on the tour?
- Children of all ages are welcome on this tour. Children between the ages of 10 and 17 have a reduced price ticket. Children ages 9 and under are free and do not need a ticket to attend. Please let us know how many children ages 9 or under you are planning to bring with you upon purchasing your tickets.
- How long is a tour? Is there a lot of walking?
- This walking tour is approximately 90 minutes and covers an area of less than a mile. Most of our tours are the same length; however, the Footsteps to Freedom tour sometimes runs a little longer - it can last up to 2 hours and covers an area a little more than a mile. All tours are leisurely paced with a few steep inclines.
- What is the average group size?
- Tour groups range from a few people to about 15. Group size is kept small to maximize the learning experience.
- What happens if it rains?
- We do go out rain or shine. However, in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions, the tour would be canceled for safety reasons, and you would be allowed to reschedule to another day and time or receive credit for a future event.
- Do I have to have a camera to join the tour?
- No. There is a lot of commentary of the historic sites and attractions. PhotoWalks operates as a historic walking tour in addition to offering photography tips for creative composition.
- What should I bring with me on the tour?
- Please wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a rain jacket or umbrella if rain is predicted. Also, consider bringing spare batteries and an extra memory card along with your camera--just in case! You may bring any snacks/drinks with you on the tour as well.
- What kind of camera can I bring on tour?
- You can bring any camera you'd like on the tour, or no camera at all! The goal of each tour is for participants to explore Boston and learn how to see creatively in ways they haven't considered before. You are welcome to participate on a tour with or without a camera, any type will do---even a disposable if you'd like.
- Is the price the same if one person has a camera and the other does not?
- Yes. Each participant is on a sightseeing tour and will learn about Boston's history as well as the art of observation.
- What if I have no experience with photography?
- No problem! Our photo tours are great for people of all ages and all skill levels. The most experienced photographer and novice will still be able to learn how to photograph city sights from a different perspective using creative thinking or PhotoWalks' photography tips.
- Will I still enjoy the tour if I'm from the area?
- Of course! You'll make new discoveries and capture amazing pictures as a tourist in your own home city! You'll also learn fascinating information you may not have known about Boston's rich history.
- Are there restrooms along the tour route?
- Unfortunately, there will be no restroom stops during this tour. Please make sure to use the restroom before the tour begins! Of course in the event of an emergency, we will do our best to try to accommodate you.
- Can I stop to buy food or beverages along the way?
- There are no scheduled stops on the tour to buy food or beverages, but we will try to accommodate you as best we can if you are interested in doing so.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- This tour may have some steep inclines that would make it difficult for someone in a wheelchair. Please click on the "Contact PhotoWalks" link to inquire further and see if accommodations can be made.
- Are tours only conducted in English?
- Can I bring a pet with me on the tour?
- Sure. Well-behaved pets are more than welcome on our tours.
- What is the PhotoWalks Guide to Creative Photography?
- The PhotoWalks Guide to Creative Photography is an instructional booklet that will be e-mailed to you after you take the tour.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Absolutely! PhotoWalks gift certificates make great experience gifts and stocking stuffers. To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Are private tours offered?
- Yes. If you're interested in a private tour, please click on the "Contact PhotoWalks" link to inquire further.
- Do you offer photography classes?
- Yes, we sometimes can provide private photography classes. If you are interested, please click on the "Contact PhotoWalks" link to request a class.
PhotoWalks offers five separate photo tours: Beacon Hill (year round), Back Bay (year round), Freedom Trail, Public Garden (May – mid-September), and Waterfront (May – October). Come join us today for this unique and rewarding experience!