So you're a pizza lover? Get ready to step it up a notch with:
- America's first licensed pizzeria
- Some of NYC's oldest coal-burning ovens
- Brooklyn's best Sicilian pie
- Comparative analysis of oven types
- A classic New York slice shop
- Authentic Neapolitan pizza
- Frank Sinatra's favorite slice
Word on the street is that our tours are awesome:
"New York really does boast specialized tours and this is one of the best." - Rough Guides
"Offbeat and fun!" - Lonely Planet
"The tastiest tour in town!" - NBC's Today in New York
Scott's Pizza Tours has been featured on ABC's The Chew, CBS Sunday Morning, the Travel Channel, Cooking Channel, History Channel and Discovery Channel. WHOA!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Scott really knows his pizza!
|drjavd||Sun, Aug 23 11:00 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
My family and I were very impressed with Scott's extensive knowledge of pizza ingredients, baking techniques, location history and even his memory of personal pizza experiences. He was extremely welcoming and captivating every step along the tour, we would definitely want to take another tour with him again!
Fun and delicious
|SJ_Cap||Sun, Aug 23 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Scott blew us away with everything he knows AND he is funny and good natured. He seems to genuinely love his job and wants to get to know everyone. This was a great time and we will surely be back for more.
Best tour I have ever been on
|Purpleprince||Sun, Aug 23 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
Scott is an awesome tour guide! I bought tickets as a birthday present for my boyfriend and it was the best present I have ever gotten him. The tour was super fun, the pizzerias we visited were all amazing, and Scott's enthusiasm for pizza makes it all worth it. We highly recommend it!
|gummo4||Sun, Aug 9 11:00 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Only thing better would be toppings.
Loved Scott, Pizza and the education
|sanjdip||Sun, Aug 9 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We are a family of Pizza enthusiasts and this was the highlight of our NYC vacation. We live in San Francisco, where we have excellent restaurants (and pizza) as well, but the true history of pizza is here. And it was great to be around so many other pizza enthusiasts, especially Scott. He shows a lot of delight and energy during the tour and kept us smiling and thinking the entire trip. It was nice to see the kitchen at each of the restaurants and the different type of cooking styles. I highly recommend this tour if you are interested in learning more about the history of NY pizza and how to better appreciate each bite you take.
BEST TOUR EVER
|madeline69||Sun, Aug 9 11:00 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Scott is a total pizza nerd who is amazingly enthusiastic and a genuinely friendly guy. Pizza was delicious but also gained lots of knowledge about making pizza for when I get home. Definitely going on this tour again next time I visit New York.
Exceeded my expectations. I'm still smiling about
|Tanya66||Sun, Aug 9 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
I've never made pizza at home but based on what I learned I will with confidence and excitement.
Wow!! Will definitely do it again
|JasonMac||Sun, Aug 9 11:00 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Love pizza, especially great pizza. Scott knows the hidden treasures in NYC that most of us wouldn't find. His enthusiasm about life and pizza make the tour worth it. And then you throw in the pizza.
|junesleonard||Sun, Aug 9 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Individual|
this was an awesome experience. much more to the experience than what we were expecting. scott is a pizza wizard! we now have a better appreciation of pizza and the pizza entrepreneur because of this tour.
|BRetzko||Sun, Aug 2 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
Scott was great and this tour was a good deal of fun! Very informative as well.
Highly recommend it for anyone!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. This tour only runs on Sundays and often sell out. If you are planning to make reservations for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance before spots fill up. Tickets may be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What do I receive for the price of a ticket?
- Tickets guarantee you a seat on a yellow school bus that has been specially licensed for sightseeing use throughout New York City. You will be treated to four slices of pizza, one from each of the four pizzerias we visit. Each participant will receive a goody bag complete with candies and other items that will enhance the tour experience.
- What are the differences between the bus tour and the walking tours?
- The NYC Pizza Bus visits four pizzerias over 4.5 hours while the walking tours visit three pizzerias in 3 hours. We have various walking tours that each cover a different neighborhood. All tours include pizza and a Pocket Pizza Journal for every guest.
- Am I required to purchase a ticket for a child?
- Tickets must be purchased for anyone requiring a seat on the bus. Children between the ages of 4 and 12 are invited to purchase a reduced-price child ticket. Children under the age of 4 are invited to join us free of charge, but must share pizza and seats with their guardian. There is a limit of 1 non-paying child per adult.
- I noticed I can donate to Slice Out Hunger when buying tickets. What is Slice Out Hunger?
- Slice Out Hunger is our way of giving back to the community. Proceeds benefit our favorite hunger relief organizations. Find out more at www.silceouthunger.org.
- Does weather affect the tour?
- The Pizza Bus runs rain or shine! Tour itineraries may change if weather becomes a problem but we will always run complete tours. Please dress appropriately for the weather, as we will be getting on and off the bus throughout the tour.
- Where does the tour end?
- All Pizza Bus tours end at the corner of Bowery and Prince St, just two blocks from the starting point.
- Where will we go on this tour?
- Each tour with Scott's Pizza Bus is unique. We draw our destinations from a bank of participating pizzerias throughout New York's five boroughs. Few tours will have the same itinerary but all will visit four of the city's best pizzerias.
- How many pizzerias will we visit?
- We will visit four pizzerias on the trip and eat a slice at each.
- How much time will we spend in each pizzeria?
- We'll spend approximately 25 minutes at each pizzeria.
- Do we stay on the bus for the duration of the tour?
- No. We exit the bus at every pizzeria. Depending on the weather, we may even get to eat some slices outside!
- Can I bring alcohol on the bus?
- No. It is against New York State law to consume alcohol on a bus. The pizzerias we visit do have alcoholic beverages for sale, so please be sure to bring sufficient cash and a valid ID if you would like to purchase this.
- Who will be my tour guide?
- Scott Wiener is a licensed New York City tour guide and dedicated pizza enthusiast. Scott's love for pizza and fascination with pizza culture has led him to create a forum in which pizza lovers can dish about their favorite slices and broaden their pizza palates.
- What type of bus is used?
- Scott's Pizza Tours is the only guided tour in New York City that uses a big yellow school bus! All buses are new models and pass weekly inspections by the NYC Board of Education. We only use buses that are up to code with the city's regulations and ours even has air conditioning for those hot summer days!
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- No, unfortunately our buses are not wheelchair accessible.
- Am I permitted to leave possessions on the bus?
- You may leave personal items on the bus, as the bus driver will always stay with the vehicle during our tastings, but it is strongly recommended that you keep valuables with you at all times. Several seats will be open for luggage and strollers.
- As a New Yorker, will I enjoy this tour?
- YES! No matter how long you've lived in New York there are certainly pizzerias you have never visited. In fact, New Yorkers tend to be least aware of the pizza possibilities in their own backyards!
- How do we decide on toppings?
- We don't! The group will taste only cheese slices. This maintains a uniform standard upon which to evaluate the slices we consume. If you would like any extra slices with toppings, you may order them at your own cost.
- Are restrooms available during the tour?
- While the bus has no restroom, the pizzerias do! It is highly recommended that you visit these restrooms at the first and final stops while the group is eating inside the restaurant.
- How large will the group be?
- We usually cap tickets at 24 per tour, but there's room for 32 if the pizzerias on the schedule are large enough to accommodate a group that large.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes to the thousandth degree! Pizza pictures are usually worth framing because everyone is always smiling in them. We even have a special web site where you can share your photos with other pizza pals.
- Do I need to bring anything on the tour?
- It is highly recommended that you bring a refillable container for water. We discourage the use of bottled water because of its negative impact on the environment, plus New York tap water is tasty!
- Should I eat before taking this tour?
- It's always a good idea to start your digestive engine before the tour begins.
- Are tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. It is the belief of Scott's Pizza Tours that pizza defies all language barriers.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate for this tour?
- Absolutely! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Can I book a private/custom tour?
- We are more than happy to accommodate your requests for private tours. Just click “Contact PizzaTours” and let us know the size of your group, whether you'd like to tour by bus or on foot, and what date/time you have in mind.
Scott's Pizza Tours
Every one of our tours hits multiple pizzerias to give you a giant slice of saucy knowledge. Not only do you get a slice at each stop, we’ll even get you into the kitchens for an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at all the different ovens, cheese types, tomato preparations, and dough stretching techniques. Keep track of your findings in your very own Pocket Pizza Journal, a handy notebook we designed specifically for pizza analysis!
If it sounds like we’re a little too obsessed, it’s because we are. Our founder Scott Wiener started the tour after leading a group of friends on an epic birthday party pizza crawl in 2007. It was too much fun to keep a secret, so he launched the company with the intention of running a weekly tour while looking for a real job. Flash forward and Scott’s Pizza Tours is one of the highest rated activities in the universe. It’s probably because we’re extremely passionate about our city, our pizza, and sharing both with new friends.
Our tours are conducted by an elite team of pizza lovers who found each other through our collective love of the slice. Scott does not lead every tour, but all of our guides are licensed and trained to dish out slices of pizza AND information in the greatest pizza city ever.