So you're a pizza lover? Get ready to step it up a notch with:
- America's first licensed pizzeria
- Some of NYC's oldest coal-burning ovens
- Brooklyn's best Sicilian pie
- Comparative analysis of oven types
- A classic New York slice shop
- Authentic Neapolitan pizza
- Frank Sinatra's favorite slice
Word on the street is that our tours are awesome:
"New York really does boast specialized tours and this is one of the best." - Rough Guides
"Offbeat and fun!" - Lonely Planet
"The tastiest tour in town!" - NBC's Today in New York
Scott's Pizza Tours has been featured on ABC's The Chew, CBS Sunday Morning, the Travel Channel, Cooking Channel, History Channel and Discovery Channel. WHOA!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
This pizza tour is a Must Do!!
|Amrish33||Sun, Nov 29 11:00 AM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Whether your a local or touring NYC, you have to do this! Great way to get a great tour from a fantastic enthusiastic tour guide. This is worth every penny... Scott is awesome! Do the your with only
Him for the best experience
|NeilMelnick||Sun, Nov 22 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Scott provided an enjoyable day with good Pizza. Time went quickly without feeling rushed. Scott was very personable and knowledgeable. Ride was comfortable, Pizza was outstanding.
|LorenaDN||Sun, Nov 22 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Nice mix of people, great atmosphere, knowledgeable guide, lots of entusiasm, lots of interesting info. Nice riding a school bus and seeing parts of town tourists don't go to!
THE activity to do in NYC
|abco14||Sun, Nov 15 11:00 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Combination||Family Without Children|
I cannot recommend this crazy-fun tour enough. I used to not like pizza, think of it as a junk food, and not really think about it that often. That has all changed now. From learning about the fresh mozz, to understanding how breaking basil leaves spreads the oils over the pizza, and that thin crust & a simple sauce is not that unhealthy, pizza is now a staple food I turn to time and time again.
I've done both the walking tour and bus tour. On both, Scott makes everyone so happy and is so friendly himself that you always end up meeting great people. On the bus tour I got to visit neighborhoods and boroughs I never would've traveled to otherwise. On both tours, the range of pizzas is incredible, especially since we get into such intricacies of how they're made, why they're made that way, and their historical origins. For crying out loud, Scott knows the date tomatoes came to Italy!
Scott is a blast a minute, a total natural at interacting with any type of crowd and personality. This is perfect for families with teens, couples, tourists, and locals. Everyone left having learnt at least one new & interesting fact, and with a new favorite pizzeria.
Great fun for all ages
|MadalynRoman||Sun, Nov 15 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
I went on the Pizza Tour last year with my teenage son and his friends. They had a great time. We talked about it so much that my mom, sisters and I decided to go to celebrate Mother's Day. It was a little late in the year...November but we do something special each year.
Coming from a family that owned a pizzeria we had a great time learning the history of pizza in NY and we loved the variety. Scott is an enthusiastic tour guide and made it a great day.
Great tour and great tour guide. Educational, fun
|silver19||Sun, Nov 15 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Couple on a Date|
Scott, our tour guide, was very knowledgeable, efficient, and enthusiastic. I especially appreciated his expertise in
all-things-pizza. We visited four different pizza restaurants with different styles of pizza making, different eras in American history, and decor. We sampled the pizza slices in each and filled out a rating form, Scott's Pizza Journal,
and discussed the results. The tour was educational, cultural, entertaining, and delicious!
|CliftonG||Sun, Nov 15 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Had a great time and learned a lot about the world of pizza. Planning on doing it again when I'm back in New York.
Fantastic, fun tour
|IleneM||Sun, Nov 15 11:00 AM||Unspecified||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
We had a wonderful afternoon learning all about Pizza. Scott is engaging and unbelievably knowledgable about pizza. Each of the slices of pizza was different and allowed us to taste different pizza from different regions.
I would highly recommend this tour to anyone who wants to have a fun, engaging and learning afternoon.
|cyndi13||Sun, Nov 8 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We are in the pizza business in another state. It was fun to learn about New York pizza. Scott is a wonderful guide and knows his pizza from the crust up! Everyone should take this tour!
A New York must for pizza lovers!
|janjans||Sun, Nov 8 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
Lots of interesting and little known pizza facts.. Tasty experience.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. This tour only runs on Sundays and often sell out. If you are planning to make reservations for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance before spots fill up. Tickets may be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What do I receive for the price of a ticket?
- Tickets guarantee you a seat on a yellow school bus that has been specially licensed for sightseeing use throughout New York City. You will be treated to four slices of pizza, one from each of the four pizzerias we visit. Each participant will receive a goody bag complete with candies and other items that will enhance the tour experience.
- What are the differences between the bus tour and the walking tours?
- The NYC Pizza Bus visits four pizzerias over 4.5 hours while the walking tours visit three pizzerias in 3 hours. We have various walking tours that each cover a different neighborhood. All tours include pizza and a Pocket Pizza Journal for every guest.
- Am I required to purchase a ticket for a child?
- Tickets must be purchased for anyone requiring a seat on the bus. Children between the ages of 4 and 12 are invited to purchase a reduced-price child ticket. Children under the age of 4 are invited to join us free of charge, but must share pizza and seats with their guardian. There is a limit of 1 non-paying child per adult.
- I noticed I can donate to Slice Out Hunger when buying tickets. What is Slice Out Hunger?
- Slice Out Hunger is our way of giving back to the community. Proceeds benefit our favorite hunger relief organizations. Find out more at www.silceouthunger.org.
- Does weather affect the tour?
- The Pizza Bus runs rain or shine! Tour itineraries may change if weather becomes a problem but we will always run complete tours. Please dress appropriately for the weather, as we will be getting on and off the bus throughout the tour.
- Where does the tour end?
- All Pizza Bus tours end at the corner of Bowery and Prince St, just two blocks from the starting point.
- Where will we go on this tour?
- Each tour with Scott's Pizza Bus is unique. We draw our destinations from a bank of participating pizzerias throughout New York's five boroughs. Few tours will have the same itinerary but all will visit four of the city's best pizzerias.
- How many pizzerias will we visit?
- We will visit four pizzerias on the trip and eat a slice at each.
- How much time will we spend in each pizzeria?
- We'll spend approximately 25 minutes at each pizzeria.
- Do we stay on the bus for the duration of the tour?
- No. We exit the bus at every pizzeria. Depending on the weather, we may even get to eat some slices outside!
- Can I bring alcohol on the bus?
- No. It is against New York State law to consume alcohol on a bus. The pizzerias we visit do have alcoholic beverages for sale, so please be sure to bring sufficient cash and a valid ID if you would like to purchase this.
- Who will be my tour guide?
- Scott Wiener is a licensed New York City tour guide and dedicated pizza enthusiast. Scott's love for pizza and fascination with pizza culture has led him to create a forum in which pizza lovers can dish about their favorite slices and broaden their pizza palates.
- What type of bus is used?
- Scott's Pizza Tours is the only guided tour in New York City that uses a big yellow school bus! All buses are new models and pass weekly inspections by the NYC Board of Education. We only use buses that are up to code with the city's regulations and ours even has air conditioning for those hot summer days!
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- No, unfortunately our buses are not wheelchair accessible.
- Am I permitted to leave possessions on the bus?
- You may leave personal items on the bus, as the bus driver will always stay with the vehicle during our tastings, but it is strongly recommended that you keep valuables with you at all times. Several seats will be open for luggage and strollers.
- As a New Yorker, will I enjoy this tour?
- YES! No matter how long you've lived in New York there are certainly pizzerias you have never visited. In fact, New Yorkers tend to be least aware of the pizza possibilities in their own backyards!
- How do we decide on toppings?
- We don't! The group will taste only cheese slices. This maintains a uniform standard upon which to evaluate the slices we consume. If you would like any extra slices with toppings, you may order them at your own cost.
- Are restrooms available during the tour?
- While the bus has no restroom, the pizzerias do! It is highly recommended that you visit these restrooms at the first and final stops while the group is eating inside the restaurant.
- How large will the group be?
- We usually cap tickets at 24 per tour, but there's room for 32 if the pizzerias on the schedule are large enough to accommodate a group that large.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes to the thousandth degree! Pizza pictures are usually worth framing because everyone is always smiling in them. We even have a special web site where you can share your photos with other pizza pals.
- Do I need to bring anything on the tour?
- It is highly recommended that you bring a refillable container for water. We discourage the use of bottled water because of its negative impact on the environment, plus New York tap water is tasty!
- Should I eat before taking this tour?
- It's always a good idea to start your digestive engine before the tour begins.
- Are tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. It is the belief of Scott's Pizza Tours that pizza defies all language barriers.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate for this tour?
- Absolutely! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Can I book a private/custom tour?
- We are more than happy to accommodate your requests for private tours. Just click “Contact PizzaTours” and let us know the size of your group, whether you'd like to tour by bus or on foot, and what date/time you have in mind.
Scott's Pizza Tours
Every one of our tours hits multiple pizzerias to give you a giant slice of saucy knowledge. Not only do you get a slice at each stop, we’ll even get you into the kitchens for an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at all the different ovens, cheese types, tomato preparations, and dough stretching techniques. Keep track of your findings in your very own Pocket Pizza Journal, a handy notebook we designed specifically for pizza analysis!
If it sounds like we’re a little too obsessed, it’s because we are. Our founder Scott Wiener started the tour after leading a group of friends on an epic birthday party pizza crawl in 2007. It was too much fun to keep a secret, so he launched the company with the intention of running a weekly tour while looking for a real job. Flash forward and Scott’s Pizza Tours is one of the highest rated activities in the universe. It’s probably because we’re extremely passionate about our city, our pizza, and sharing both with new friends.
Our tours are conducted by an elite team of pizza lovers who found each other through our collective love of the slice. Scott does not lead every tour, but all of our guides are licensed and trained to dish out slices of pizza AND information in the greatest pizza city ever.