Pizza rules New York, and you'll find out why as you explore:
- The birthplace of modern pizza
- Manhattan's Little Italy
- A classic New York street slice
- Century-old coal burning brick ovens
- A working pizza oven factory
- Pizza history bite-by-bite
Word on the street is that our tours are awesome:
"New York really does boast specialized tours and this is one of the best." - Rough Guides
"Offbeat and fun!" - Lonely Planet
"The tastiest tour in town!" - NBC's Today in New York
Scott's Pizza Tours has been featured on ABC's The Chew, CBS Sunday Morning, the Travel Channel, Cooking Channel, History Channel and Discovery Channel. WHOA!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|marvin02||Sat, Apr 30 11:00 AM||Male||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
A lot of fun
A Taste of Italia!
|deanfrymoyer||Sat, Apr 30 11:00 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Very enjoyable tour! The guide was friendly and his knowledge of pizza and NYC in general was outstanding. I'd highly recommend this tour to anyone who likes pizza and wants to learn more about its many varieties.
|djvonbargen||Fri, Apr 29 11:00 AM||Male||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Alexis is a stand up comic at night and conducts tours during the day. AND he loves pizza.
Fabulous day wandering the streets discussing all things pizza and visiting three completely different pizza joints.
I highly recommend it as a way to spend the day, try good pizza, learn things you never knew, and be totally entertained by an extremely personable professional!
Highlight of our trip to NY!
|Sukiyumyum||Mon, Apr 25 11:00 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Scott was the best! So engaging, interesting, and a wealth of knowledge - loved learning all about the history and different ovens. He had such a depth of knowledge about minutiae from dough to ovens to cheese to... everything! I loved it! So did my 13 and 8 year old children. I highly and enthusiastically recommend this tour.
A great walking tour of pizza history!
|truebluefunk||Mon, Apr 25 11:00 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Scott is a barrel of energy and pizza knowledge. It was amazing how he seemed to know everyone even remotely associated with pizza all across the city. We learned a lot, at some good pizza, and had a great time. What more can you ask?
Fun, learning, AND pizza!
|kessler9||Sat, Apr 23 11:00 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had a really splendid time walking through the Village and NOLITA for Scott's Classic Pizza Tour. Cedric, our guide, was knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and a real pleasure for the entire tour. We will be back again to do a different tour!
|igor1988||Sat, Apr 23 11:00 AM||Male||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Pizza Cross Town Walk
|tcouture1||Mon, Apr 18 11:00 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Alexie, our tour guide, was very informative and entertaining. I liked pizza before, but I now have grown to love pizza.
|MadNadler25||Sat, Apr 16 11:00 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
My friends and I had a great time on this tour! We learned about the history of pizza, the different ovens used, layering cheese and sauce and everything else you can imagine. If my history classes in school had been as interesting as learning about the history of pizza I would have had straight A's! Definitely go!!
|GailHolmes||Mon, Apr 11 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We took a vote after our trip. Everyone decided that this was the best thing we did in New York. Our tour guide, Alexis, was funny and so knowledgeable about pizza. REALLY FUNNY. It was fascinating to hear about not just pizza, but the neighborhoods and people that live there. And the pizza was so good! Alexis answered questions, not just about pizza but about anything New York. Offered help with navigating the city, where to eat, can not say enough nice things about the tour. Would highly recommend it to anyone visiting, and I would actually even take it again.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Tours have a limited capacity and often sell out. If you are planning to make reservations for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance. Tickets may be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express online or by phone.
- What do I receive for the price of a ticket?
- Your ticket gets you a 3-hour course in pizza history, which includes slices at three of the city's top pizzerias. Every participant will receive a Pocket Pizza Journal to help keep track of our pizza adventure!
- Am I required to purchase a ticket for a child?
- Children under the age of four are welcome to join us free of charge as long as you are willing to share your slices with them. Limit is one child under four per adult. All others must purchase a general ticket.
- I noticed I can donate to Slice Out Hunger when buying tickets. What is Slice Out Hunger?
- Slice Out Hunger is our way of giving back to the community. Proceeds benefit our favorite hunger relief organizations. Find out more at www.silceouthunger.org.
- What are the differences between the five walking tours and the bus tour?
- All walking tours visit three pizzerias. The Crosstown tour traces the evolution of New York style pizza, walks 1.5 miles (2.4 km) and is about 3 hours long. The Greenwich Village tour follows pizza development from Southern Italy, walks 0.75 miles (1.1 km) and is about 2.5 hours long. The Lower East Side tour focuses on the pizza development from a lowly Neapolitan street food to a celebrated American staple, walks 0.75 miles (1.1 km) and is about 2.5 hours long. The Brooklyn tour alternates between the neighborhoods of Williamsburg and Cobble Hill and will focus on comparing the baking patterns of three different pizza ovens. It is 3 hours long and walks about 0.75 miles (1.1 km) The Times Square Pizza Walk hits three pizzerias, each with a different oven type, over the course of 2.5 hours and about a mile of walking. The NYC Pizza Bus tour runs Sundays only (less traffic!) and is 4.5 hours long. This is our flagship and visits four pizzerias throughout the boroughs.
- Does weather affect the tour?
- All walking tours run rain or shine. Please dress appropriately for the weather, as we will be outside for most of the tour.
- How long is the walk?
- We'll cover about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) on the Crosstown Pizza Walk. Please remember to wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for weather, as the majority of the tour will be outside.
- Where does the tour end?
- All tours end near Sheridan Square, about one mile from the starting point. Nearby subways include the 1, A, B, C, D, E, F and M.
- Where will we go on this tour?
- The Crosstown Pizza Walk covers New York pizza from a historical perspective. Most stops feature century-old brick ovens that have produced breads for several generations. The tour also covers the modern New York street slice and its relationship with the pizza industry. Tastings occur at four of the city's world-renowned pizzerias, spanning the distance from Little Italy to Greenwich Village.
- How much time will we spend in each pizzeria?
- Our first pizza stop on the Crosstown Pizza Walk is a seated tasting, but after that we're on-the-go. Some of the pizzerias aren't large enough to fit our entire group, but there are plenty of restroom stops available along the way.
- Who will be my tour guide?
- Every member of our pizza enthusiast team is a licensed New York City tour guide, armed with the hunger and knowledge necessary to lead you through the landscape of NYC pizza. We do not announce who will be leading each tour in advance, but all guides have been trained personally by owner/founder Scott Wiener.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Yes! All of our stops are accessible by wheelchair.
- Is this tour appropriate for New Yorkers?
- YES! No matter how long you've lived in New York there are certainly pizzerias you have never visited. In fact, New Yorkers tend to be least aware of the pizza possibilities in their own backyards! The information and depth of your tour will bring your excitement about the dish to new levels.
- How much pizza will I eat?
- Participants are provided with three slices of pizza. If you fall in love with a slice, feel free to order a pie or two to-go! Just be sure to bring cash, as most of the old pizzerias don't take credit.
- How do we decide on toppings?
- We don't! The group will taste only cheese slices. This maintains a uniform standard upon which to evaluate the slices we consume. If you would like any extra slices with toppings, you may order them at your own cost.
- Are restrooms available during the tour?
- You are welcome to use restrooms in the sit-down pizzerias we visit at the beginning and end of the tour.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes to the thousandth degree! Pizza pictures are usually worth framing because everyone is always smiling in them. We encourage you to share your pizza photos on Facebook, Instagram or any other social media platform.
- Do I need to bring anything on the tour?
- It is highly recommended that you bring a refillable container for water. We discourage the use of bottled water because of its negative impact on the environment, plus New York tap water is tasty!
- Should I eat before taking this tour?
- It's always a good idea to start your digestive engine before the tour begins.
- Are tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. It is the belief of Scott's Pizza Tours that pizza defies all language barriers.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate for this tour?
- Absolutely! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Can I book a private/custom tour?
- We are more than happy to accommodate your requests for private tours. Just click “Contact PizzaTours” and let us know the size of your group, whether you'd like to tour by bus or on foot, and what date/time you have in mind.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Gratuities for your guide are not mandatory but greatly appreciated.
Scott's Pizza Tours
Every one of our tours hits multiple pizzerias to give you a giant slice of saucy knowledge. Not only do you get a slice at each stop, we’ll even get you into the kitchens for an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at all the different ovens, cheese types, tomato preparations, and dough stretching techniques. You can keep track of your findings in your very own Pocket Pizza Journal, a handy notebook we designed specifically for pizza analysis!
If it sounds like we’re a little too obsessed, it’s because we are. Our founder Scott Wiener started the tour after leading a group of friends on an epic birthday party pizza crawl in 2007. It was too much fun to keep a secret, so he launched the company with the intention of running a weekly tour while looking for a real job. Flash forward and Scott’s Pizza Tours is one of the highest rated activities in the universe. It’s probably because we’re extremely passionate about our city, our pizza, and sharing both with new friends.
Our tours are conducted by an elite team of pizza lovers who found each other through our collective love of the slice. Scott does not lead every tour, but all of our guides are licensed and trained to dish out slices of pizza AND information in the greatest pizza city ever.