Pizza rules New York, and you'll find out why as you explore:
- A traditional 18th century Neapolitan pizzeria
- Blistering-hot brick ovens
- Classic NY Slices
- A rare coal-fired brick oven
- History of pizza from Italy to NYC
- Thick (but NOT deep dish) Sicilian pizza
Word on the street is that our tours are awesome:
"New York really does boast specialized tours and this is one of the best." - Rough Guides
"Offbeat and fun!" - Lonely Planet
"The tastiest tour in town!" - NBC's Today in New York
Scott's Pizza Tours has been featured on ABC's The Chew, CBS Sunday Morning, the Travel Channel, Cooking Channel, History Channel and Discovery Channel. WHOA!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
We loved our guides but..
|Ndharani531||Thu, May 19 11:15 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
My husband and I enjoyed our tour guides, they were very informative and entertaining. We were not impressed with the locations/stops on our tour. We only enjoyed the pizza at one stop and thought the other 2 stops could have been better given the location and variety of pizza places in Greenwich Village. Also I feel we may have missed out on trying out a 4th place because our tour guides were not able to keep some of the participants on track, I think our group may have been too big. Overall great experience and we learned a lot about pizza.
Interesting and entertaining
|Squadrilla||Thu, May 19 11:15 AM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
The tour was a great way to learn something about pizza in NY and to taste some very good pizzas!
|Moggsy26||Sun, May 15 11:15 AM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Had a fantastic Pizza tour on a windy Sunday morning in Greenwich Village. Joe was a fantastic host with expert knowledge and a great amount of enthusiasm for the love of the crust. My friend and I learnt a lot and thoroughly enjoyed. Would recommend to anyone who considers themselves to be a Pizza Snob :)
A Pizza history
|Fishbark||Sun, May 15 11:15 AM||Male||40-49||Combination||Other|
This was a great way to spend the afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about the history and evolution of pizza in NYC.
Joey (our guide) was full of energy and information and made it all really fun.
We definitely thought the best pizza was at the start and would have loved to finish the tour for a 'to go' slice!
|lmeredith88||Wed, May 4 11:15 AM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Other|
Thank you Alexeis for our pizza tour! You were charismatic and your love for pizza was infectious! Thanks for a fun day - the pizza was amazing!
|aeh2132||Sun, May 1 11:15 AM||Female||30-39||Combination||Family Without Children|
Super knowledgable guide with lots of energy. I'll never experience pizza the same way!
|Plumdogg||Sun, Apr 24 11:15 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My family and I had a great time.
|cheiberg84||Thu, Apr 21 11:15 AM||Unspecified||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had a wonderful time with our tour guide Alexis! He was very knowledgeable and took us to a great variety of places! We tried Neipolitana, classic NY, Staten Island, and Sicilian pizzas!!Highly recommend this tour!
|stuartfalber||Thu, Apr 21 11:15 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Entertaining tour with really good pizza. Alexis was informative and fun - and the switches to a 4th pizza and Prince St Pizzeria were appreciated.
A Great Outing for Teens
|Sandragood1||Sun, Apr 17 11:15 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We had a great time at our pizza tour of Greenwich Village! We learned so much about pizza, including its history in Italy and the history within New York. My teens not only enjoyed the pizza experience but also liked soaking in the feeling of the city. Our pizza guide, Joe, was great fun. He took time to talk with everyone in the group and was a font of information. We'll do another pizza tour when we come back to NY later this year.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Tours have a limited capacity and often sell out. If you are planning to make reservations for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance. Tickets may be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express online or by phone.
- What do I receive for the price of a ticket?
- Your ticket gets you a 3-hour course in pizza history, which includes slices at three of the city's top pizzerias. Every participant will receive Pocket Pizza Journal to help keep track of our pizza findings!
- Am I required to purchase a ticket for a child?
- Children under the age of four are welcome to join us free of charge as long as you are willing to share your slices with them. Limit is one child under four per adult. All others must purchase a general ticket.
- I noticed I can donate to Slice Out Hunger when buying tickets. What is Slice Out Hunger?
- Slice Out Hunger is our way of giving back to the community. Proceeds benefit our favorite hunger relief organizations. Find out more at www.silceouthunger.org.
- What are the differences between the four walking tours and the bus tour?
- All walking tours visit three pizzerias. The Greenwich Village tour follows pizza development from Southern Italy, walks 0.75 miles (1.1 km) and is about 2.5 hours long. The Times Square tour features stops in the Theater District, Hell's Kitchen, Garment District and walks a mile in 2.5 hours. The Crosstown tour traces the evolution of New York style pizza, walks 1.5 miles (2.4 km) and is about 3 hours long. The LES / East Village tour focuses on the pizza development from a lowly Neapolitan street food to a celebrated American staple, walks 0.75 miles (1.1 km) and is about 2.5 hours long. The Brooklyn tour alternates between the neighborhoods of Williamsburg and Cobble Hill and will focus on comparing the baking patterns of three different pizza ovens. It is 3 hours long and walks about 0.75 miles (1.1 km) The NYC Pizza Bus tour runs Sundays only (less traffic!) and is 4.5 hours long. This is our flagship and visits four pizzerias throughout the boroughs.
- Does weather affect the tour?
- All walking tours run rain or shine. Please dress appropriately for the weather, as we will be outside for most of the tour.
- How long is the walk?
- We'll walk about 0.75 miles (1.2 km) on the Greenwich Village Pizza Walk. Please remember to wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for weather, as the majority of the tour will be outside.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends in Soho near the corner of Prince and Thompson St, about 0.75 miles from the starting point. Nearby subways include the A, C and E trains with a short walk to the 1, 2, B, D, F and M lines.
- Where will we go on this tour?
- The Greenwich Village Pizza Walk covers pizza from a historical perspective. Each stop focuses on a different phase of pizza evolution from Italy to New York. We'll visit new pizzerias that serve old styles, old pizzerias that serve new styles, and maybe even something in between the two.
- How much time will we spend in each pizzeria?
- Our first pizza stop on the Greenwich Village Pizza Walk is a seated tasting, but after that we're on-the-go. Some of the pizzerias aren't large enough to fit our entire group but we'll do our best to see as much of each pizzeria as possible. Our goal is to observe these pizzerias without interfering with their work.
- Who will be my tour guide?
- Every member of our pizza enthusiast team is a licensed New York City tour guide, armed with the hunger and knowledge necessary to lead you through the landscape of NYC pizza. We do not announce who will be leading each tour in advance, but all guides have been trained personally by owner/founder Scott Wiener.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Yes! All of our stops are accessible by wheelchair.
- Is this tour appropriate for New Yorkers?
- YES! No matter how long you've lived in New York there are certainly pizzerias you have never visited. In fact, New Yorkers tend to be least aware of the pizza possibilities in their own backyards! The information and depth of your tour will bring your excitement about the dish to new levels.
- How much pizza will I eat?
- Participants are provided with three slices of pizza. If you fall in love with a slice, feel free to order a pie or two to-go! Just be sure to bring cash, as most of the old pizzerias don't take credit.
- How do we decide on toppings?
- We don't! The group will taste only cheese slices. This maintains a uniform standard upon which to evaluate the slices we consume. If you would like any extra slices with toppings, you may order them at your own cost.
- Are restrooms available during the tour?
- You are welcome to use restrooms in the sit-down pizzerias we visit at the beginning and end of the tour.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes to the thousandth degree! Pizza pictures are usually worth framing because everyone is always smiling in them. We encourage you to share your pizza photos on Facebook, Instagram or any other social media platform.
- Do I need to bring anything on the tour?
- It is highly recommended that you bring a refillable container for water. We discourage the use of bottled water because of its negative impact on the environment, plus New York tap water is tasty!
- Should I eat before taking this tour?
- It's always a good idea to start your digestive engine before the tour begins.
- Are tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. It is the belief of Scott's Pizza Tours that pizza defies all language barriers.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate for this tour?
- Absolutely! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Can I book a private/custom tour?
- We are more than happy to accommodate your requests for private tours. Just click “Contact PizzaTours” and let us know the size of your group, whether you'd like to tour by bus or on foot, and what date/time you have in mind.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Gratuities for your guide are not mandatory but greatly appreciated.
Scott's Pizza Tours
Every one of our tours hits multiple pizzerias to give you a giant slice of saucy knowledge. Not only do you get a slice at each stop, we’ll even get you into the kitchens for an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at all the different ovens, cheese types, tomato preparations, and dough stretching techniques. You can keep track of your findings in your very own Pocket Pizza Journal, a handy notebook we designed specifically for pizza analysis!
If it sounds like we’re a little too obsessed, it’s because we are. Our founder Scott Wiener started the tour after leading a group of friends on an epic birthday party pizza crawl in 2007. It was too much fun to keep a secret, so he launched the company with the intention of running a weekly tour while looking for a real job. Flash forward and Scott’s Pizza Tours is one of the highest rated activities in the universe. It’s probably because we’re extremely passionate about our city, our pizza, and sharing both with new friends.
Our tours are conducted by an elite team of pizza lovers who found each other through our collective love of the slice. Scott does not lead every tour, but all of our guides are licensed and trained to dish out slices of pizza AND information in the greatest pizza city ever.