Pizza rules New York, and you'll find out why as you explore:
- A traditional 18th century Neapolitan pizzeria
- Blistering-hot brick ovens
- Classic NY Slices
- A rare coal-fired brick oven
- History of pizza from Italy to NYC
- Thick (but NOT deep dish) Sicilian pizza
Word on the street is that our tours are awesome:
"New York really does boast specialized tours and this is one of the best." - Rough Guides
"Offbeat and fun!" - Lonely Planet
"The tastiest tour in town!" - NBC's Today in New York
Scott's Pizza Tours has been featured on ABC's The Chew, CBS Sunday Morning, the Travel Channel, Cooking Channel, History Channel and Discovery Channel. WHOA!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Fun and Pizza-cational
|tammycoxen||Sun, Aug 30 11:15 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My 11 year old son and I greatly enjoyed the tour. We learned all sorts of interesting history about the origin of pizza, and then about how it became established in NYC. All the pizzas we tasted were really different from each other but also totally delicious. Highly recommended.
So Much Fun
|LBahniuk||Thu, Aug 27 11:15 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Other|
Our experience on Scotts Pizza tour was so much fun and we learned more about pizza than we could imagine. Our guide Alexis was funny, and very informed about pizza. He also answered any questions we had for him about New York. Our group was difficult to deal with and he was very good with this and kept his sense of humour. I would highly recommend this to everyone I know, my daughter and I had a great time and enjoyed the most amazing pizza!! Thank You Alexis:)
Great way to experience the village & awesome pizz
|mncbaumann||Thu, Aug 27 11:15 AM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Really enjoyed the pizza tour of the village. Spent the day with my three boys - two are teenagers. Everyone had fun. Our guide, Alexis, made the tour very interesting & entertaining. If you are looking for a fun thing to do with teenagers in the NYC this is it!
Entertaining tour, best guide, delicious pizza!
|framfamily50||Sun, Aug 23 11:15 AM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Highlight of our trip to NYC. Entire family of eight loved the Greenwich Village/SOHO Pizza Walk. Alexis was engaging, funny, informative—definitely a 5-star, awesome experience. Tour was well planned, and we all learned so much about the history and "science" of pizza while having fun.
Alexis (and the pizza) was awesome!
|jflana03||Sun, Aug 23 11:15 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
Would definitely do this again. Had a really great time!
Interesting and tasty
|andreplume||Wed, Aug 19 11:15 AM||Male||Under 20||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The tour went around by a good 3 hours. The tour was not something that any of us knew too much about but we were positively surprised by the experience. The tour was led by our pizza expert, Alexis, who had a great sense of humour to balance out the vast history of pizza. I highly recommend to anyone in the city.
|dkurzner||Sun, Aug 16 11:15 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Family Without Children|
We had such a great time on this tour. Alexis was extremely knowledgeable and funny, and clearly knew the go-to pizza stops in the Village. As New Yorkers, we will definitely be revisiting a few of those places!
Alexis was absolutely incredible!!
|lhickey1027||Sun, Aug 16 11:15 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
Alexis was charismatic, knowledgable and outrageously funny. He was an absolute treat and made the tour an unforgettable experience. Would recommend to this to people of all ages! Can't wait to go on another tour with Alexis!!!
Enthusiastic and knowledgeable
|sauchak||Thu, Jul 30 11:15 AM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Alexis was a gem. Funny and insightful, full of enthusiasm and knowledge. I feel confident that I would pass an advanced placement test on the subject of pizza and Greenwich Village. Thanks!
Great way to eat lunch and get pizza history!
|kpelz12||Thu, Jul 30 11:15 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Enjoyable afternoon with stroll through Greenwich Village and interesting history of pizza.
Learned how to judge a pizza. Guide was real friendly and entertaining.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Tours have a limited capacity and often sell out. If you are planning to make reservations for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance. Tickets may be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express online or by phone.
- What do I receive for the price of a ticket?
- Your ticket gets you a 3-hour course in pizza history, which includes slices at three of the city's top pizzerias. Every participant will receive Pocket Pizza Journal to help keep track of our pizza findings!
- Am I required to purchase a ticket for a child?
- Children under the age of four are welcome to join us free of charge as long as you are willing to share your slices with them. Limit is one child under four per adult. All others must purchase a general ticket.
- I noticed I can donate to Slice Out Hunger when buying tickets. What is Slice Out Hunger?
- Slice Out Hunger is our way of giving back to the community. Proceeds benefit our favorite hunger relief organizations. Find out more at www.silceouthunger.org.
- What are the differences between the four walking tours and the bus tour?
- All walking tours visit three pizzerias. The Greenwich Village tour follows pizza development from Southern Italy, walks 0.75 miles (1.1 km) and is about 2.5 hours long. The Times Square tour features stops in the Theater District, Hell's Kitchen, Garment District and walks a mile in 2.5 hours. The Crosstown tour traces the evolution of New York style pizza, walks 1.5 miles (2.4 km) and is about 3 hours long. The LES / East Village tour focuses on the pizza development from a lowly Neapolitan street food to a celebrated American staple, walks 0.75 miles (1.1 km) and is about 2.5 hours long. The Brooklyn tour alternates between the neighborhoods of Williamsburg and Cobble Hill and will focus on comparing the baking patterns of three different pizza ovens. It is 3 hours long and walks about 0.75 miles (1.1 km) The NYC Pizza Bus tour runs Sundays only (less traffic!) and is 4.5 hours long. This is our flagship and visits four pizzerias throughout the boroughs.
- Does weather affect the tour?
- All walking tours run rain or shine. Please dress appropriately for the weather, as we will be outside for most of the tour.
- How long is the walk?
- We'll walk about 0.75 miles (1.2 km) on the Greenwich Village Pizza Walk. Please remember to wear comfortable shoes and dress appropriately for weather, as the majority of the tour will be outside.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends in Soho near the corner of Prince and Thompson St, about 0.75 miles from the starting point. Nearby subways include the A, C and E trains with a short walk to the 1, 2, B, D, F and M lines.
- Where will we go on this tour?
- The Greenwich Village Pizza Walk covers pizza from a historical perspective. Each stop focuses on a different phase of pizza evolution from Italy to New York. We'll visit new pizzerias that serve old styles, old pizzerias that serve new styles, and maybe even something in between the two.
- How much time will we spend in each pizzeria?
- Our first pizza stop on the Greenwich Village Pizza Walk is a seated tasting, but after that we're on-the-go. Some of the pizzerias aren't large enough to fit our entire group but we'll do our best to see as much of each pizzeria as possible. Our goal is to observe these pizzerias without interfering with their work.
- Who will be my tour guide?
- Every member of our pizza enthusiast team is a licensed New York City tour guide, armed with the hunger and knowledge necessary to lead you through the landscape of NYC pizza. We do not announce who will be leading each tour in advance, but all guides have been trained personally by owner/founder Scott Wiener.
- Is the tour wheelchair accessible?
- Yes! All of our stops are accessible by wheelchair.
- Is this tour appropriate for New Yorkers?
- YES! No matter how long you've lived in New York there are certainly pizzerias you have never visited. In fact, New Yorkers tend to be least aware of the pizza possibilities in their own backyards! The information and depth of your tour will bring your excitement about the dish to new levels.
- How much pizza will I eat?
- Participants are provided with three slices of pizza. If you fall in love with a slice, feel free to order a pie or two to-go! Just be sure to bring cash, as most of the old pizzerias don't take credit.
- How do we decide on toppings?
- We don't! The group will taste only cheese slices. This maintains a uniform standard upon which to evaluate the slices we consume. If you would like any extra slices with toppings, you may order them at your own cost.
- Are restrooms available during the tour?
- You are welcome to use restrooms in the sit-down pizzerias we visit at the beginning and end of the tour.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes to the thousandth degree! Pizza pictures are usually worth framing because everyone is always smiling in them. We encourage you to share your pizza photos on Facebook, Instagram or any other social media platform.
- Do I need to bring anything on the tour?
- It is highly recommended that you bring a refillable container for water. We discourage the use of bottled water because of its negative impact on the environment, plus New York tap water is tasty!
- Should I eat before taking this tour?
- It's always a good idea to start your digestive engine before the tour begins.
- Are tours conducted in English only?
- Yes. It is the belief of Scott's Pizza Tours that pizza defies all language barriers.
- Can I purchase a gift certificate for this tour?
- Absolutely! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Can I book a private/custom tour?
- We are more than happy to accommodate your requests for private tours. Just click “Contact PizzaTours” and let us know the size of your group, whether you'd like to tour by bus or on foot, and what date/time you have in mind.
Scott's Pizza Tours
Every one of our tours hits multiple pizzerias to give you a giant slice of saucy knowledge. Not only do you get a slice at each stop, we’ll even get you into the kitchens for an exclusive behind-the-scenes look at all the different ovens, cheese types, tomato preparations, and dough stretching techniques. You can keep track of your findings in your very own Pocket Pizza Journal, a handy notebook we designed specifically for pizza analysis!
If it sounds like we’re a little too obsessed, it’s because we are. Our founder Scott Wiener started the tour after leading a group of friends on an epic birthday party pizza crawl in 2007. It was too much fun to keep a secret, so he launched the company with the intention of running a weekly tour while looking for a real job. Flash forward and Scott’s Pizza Tours is one of the highest rated activities in the universe. It’s probably because we’re extremely passionate about our city, our pizza, and sharing both with new friends.
Our tours are conducted by an elite team of pizza lovers who found each other through our collective love of the slice. Scott does not lead every tour, but all of our guides are licensed and trained to dish out slices of pizza AND information in the greatest pizza city ever.