Class meets at Pizza a Casa Pizza School on NYC's historic Grand Street. You'll start by making your own dough from scratch, and then go step by step through the process of crafting the perfect pie.
Topics covered include:
- The best dough anywhere-- made by you!
- The secret of simply amazing sauce
- Stretching techniques for forming the perfect crust
- Knowing your toppings: understanding balance, order and proportions when applying them
- Fantastic fresh mozzarella from the oldest Italian cheese shop in New York City
- Top-shelf ingredients & embellishments-- for classic combos to some unexpected and unforgettable matches
- Each student makes up to 4 gourmet pizzas in class--nobody leaves hungry and authentic pizzeria to-go boxes are provided!
Dress comfortably - we'll provide aprons for all to wear - and be prepared to eat some spectacular pizza of your own creation! In addition to all the pizza you'll enjoy as it emerges fresh from the oven, you'll head home with our exclusive, full-color booklet Make Perfect Pizza at Home, more dough to go, and/or a box of pizza that YOU made to show off to your friends and family!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|cwcohen23||Sat, Feb 21 12:00 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
We had a blast! Class was great and we learned a ton! Plenty of time to ask questions, staff was very patient and took time to explain lots of details. Came home and successfully made pizza on our own the next day!
It was awesome.
|Jennscott930||Sun, Feb 8 12:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Other|
The 4 hours went sooo fast. Fun, Informative and Delicious PIZZA
Fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon!
|andreawhitne||Sat, Jan 31 12:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
I joined two of my friends during a Saturday afternoon class. We had a great time perfecting our pizza making skills. The class is very well organized and definitely worth the money. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to my foodie friends.
Dough Cam, "Brick Oven", Toppings Galore & Laughte
|Delane||Sat, Jan 31 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
WOW! This pizza school was beyond my expectations. We spent nearly 5 hours learning chemistry, humor, Italian history, more comedy and building our creativity. My two teens, mother-in-law and husband thought we would spend a birthday weekend learning how to hone in our pizza schools. Neil, Max and Mike were hilarious, thoughtful and were able to differentiate their instruction to meet all learners. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and highly recommend the school!
Great pizza, great company, great fun
|peterhart62||Sat, Jan 24 12:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
We wanted to try something different on our trip to NYC and this looked like a fun venue. We had a great time making and eating pizza with the group. Mark was a great host and gave lots of great cooking tips.
I would try this again with a group of friends. Lots of laughs.
|ellenbl||Sun, Jan 4 12:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Individual|
After one class I can now make a professional quality pizza!
|Nubiasola||Sat, Dec 13, 14 12:00 PM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
It was a really fun and good experience. I highly recommend it. Is one of the most amazong thing to do in NYC
Good Time Had By All
|ClarkeECK||Sun, Dec 7, 14 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
We not only learned how to make pizza, but also learned a lot about the ingredients that make great pizza (and where to get great pizza) as well. Mark's depth of knowledge and passion are amazing and infectious. The entire Pizza a Casa team was great and made it a fun time for all - from people who don't cook to experienced epicureans.
|lisalatham88||Sat, Nov 8, 14 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
I had a great experience and learned so much. I made a traditional pizza, a white pizza, a breakfast pizza and a dessert pizza! Since returning home, I have made pizzas for my family and they have loved them...no need to order out anymore! I highly recommend this class to any home cook enthusiast...well worth the money and the instructors are passionate about pizza and very knowledgeable; willing to answer any and all questions.
Best four hours I have spent in years!
|Michael47||Sat, Nov 1, 14 12:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Individual|
I can't say enough good things about this class. Mark is not only very knowledgeable but also very entertaining. I learned how to make the type of pizza I have only found in Europe. My family and friends are loving my new skill!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Classes have a limited capacity and often sell out. Additionally, if you are planning to book for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance before spots fill up. You can purchase tickets using Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Can children of any age attend?
- While a passion for pizza knows no age, we feel that the intensive nature of our classes is best suited for pizza lovers 10 years and older. Because there is beer and wine for sale on our premises, by law children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (and both the child and the adult must have their own ticket). However, private classes for children of all ages can be arranged. Click on the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link to request more information.
- Who will the class leaders be?
- Your class will be led by our fantastic pizza perfecters. Pizza a Casa's pizza-making classes have been praised in publications including Gothamist, Time Out NY, Food & Wine, Tasting Table and The NY Daily News-- to name just a few.
- What will we do during the 4 hours of the workshop?
- You'll start by making your own dough from scratch, then go step by step through the process of crafting the perfect pie, all the while sampling pizzas as they emerge hot from the oven. Topics covered include: secrets of the sauce, forming the perfect crust, dressing for success, and much, much more. You'll be amazed by your own talent and your favorite pizza joint will start wondering where you've gone...
- Are any drinks included as part of the ticket price? Can I bring my own?
- Beer, wine and soda are available for purchase. BYOB is not permitted.
- Are cameras or video cameras allowed?
- Photography of students with their pizza masterpieces is encouraged. Video taping is not allowed.
- Is the workshop only available in English?
- These workshops are currently only offered in English. Click on the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link to request more information.
- How early should I arrive?
- We'll open our doors 15 minutes prior to class start, and your class will start on time.
- Is there parking available?
- The nearest parking lot is is two and a half blocks north of us at 107 Essex Street (between Delancey and Rivington). Metered street parking is available on Grand Street and on Essex Street.
- Will there be a restroom available?
- Can I bring personal belongings with me? What about luggage?
- Best to bring as little as possible and a BIG appetite! We do have limited space for luggage in the event that you are arriving straight from the airport. Please note Pizza a Casa Pizza School is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal items.
- What kind of pizza can we make? Can we make whatever we want?
- We'll provide a diverse list of our favorite pizza possibilities, from classic combos to some unexpected and unforgettable matches, and all the top-shelf ingredients to make them. Students are also welcome to choose from the array of toppings to create the pizza masterpiece of their dreams!
- Do you offer vegetarian or vegan options?
- Our pizza dough contains no meat, dairy or eggs. We'll be by your side during class to make topping suggestions, and we've got something tasty for all palates and preferences.
- Does weather affect the workshop at all?
- Classes will be held rain or shine.
- How many people will be in the workshop with me?
- To ensure the perfect pizza making experience and individualized attention for all, we limit our Hands-On Pizza Workshop to 12 students.
- What if I have more than 12 people who are interested?
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information about Pizza a Casa Pizza School private classes.
- Do you sell gift certificates for these workshops?
- Yes. A Pizza a Casa Pizza School gift certificate makes the perfect gift for that special pizza person in your life. To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- What other things do you offer besides the workshop?
- We offer a Couples' Pizza-Making Workshop as well as private group classes, workshops with visiting chefs and more! If you'd like to stay up to date with our offerings, click the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link on the left and ask to be added to our email list. Additionally, we have a retail shop at the front of our classroom which features an expertly curated selection of home pizza making equipment and specialty ingredients are available for purchase.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tickets must be used for the date and time selected.
- Pizza a Casa class sizes are kept small to maximize the attendee's experience and often sell out. Therefore, we cannot accommodate refunds, reschedules or other changes to your selected date and time. If you absolutely cannot attend the class you booked, your tickets may be used by a friend or family member. Thank you for your understanding!
Pizza a Casa Pizza School
Trip Advisor rates us in the TOP 100 Attractions in NYC
"If you do one thing in NYC, do this!"
"Great Class, good fun, don't miss this!"
"Fun way to learn to make amazing pizza at home..."
Tasting Table NY says: "If you think you need a wood-burning oven to make restaurant-quality pizza at home, then Mark Bello has something to teach you. Through his company, Pizza a Casa, Bello shows aspiring pizzaiolos how to cook perfect pies in even the shoddiest of apartment ovens."
The NY Daily News says: "Bello has mastered a recipe for dough and a method for getting his oven appropriately hot... The results are on par with what you get out of the city's better artisanal pizza shops. Better still, they can be reproduced in any kitchen."
Epicurious.com says: "I'm not just talking about learning to make pizzas at home. I'm talking about making pizzas that are better than 99.9 percent of the pizzas you'll ever have at a pizzeria or delivered to your home. And Mark Bello will teach you how to make them."
The Village Voice voted us Best Pizza 2010
"...that's why the pies that Mark Bello teaches his students to make at Pizza a Casa are such a revelation. Bello doesn't use a fancy oven (it's set at an attainable 500F), but the crusts that he conjures up are as crisp, chewy, and delicately charred as anything served at a restaurant-- and the best part is that you can easily make it at home."