You'll go step by step through the process of crafting the perfect pie. Throughout the class you'll make up to 4 gourmet pizzas and/or take home some dough for future pizza-making fun.
Class takes place at Pizza a Casa Pizza School on NYC's historic Grand Street.
- The best dough anywhere - made by you!
- Secrets of the sauce
- Stretching techniques and forming the perfect crust
- Knowing your ingredients: understanding balance, order and proportions when applying them
- Fantastic fresh mozzarella brought in daily from a 5th generation Italian cheese shop in America (family owned for 100+ years and just down the street from our classroom)
- Exciting toppings & embellishments - from classic combos to some unexpected and unforgettable matches
- Craft beers & Italian wines are available for purchase
- Much, much more!
Dress comfortably - we'll provide aprons for all to wear - and be prepared to eat some spectacular pizza of your own creation! In addition to all the pizzas you'll enjoy as they emerge fresh from the oven, you'll head home with our exclusive, full-color booklet Make Perfect Pizza at Home, individually wrapped dough, and/or a box of pizza that YOU made to show off to your friends and family!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Sheepy||Sat, Jul 25 12:00 PM||Male||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
This class was amazing! Mark really knows his stuff and the pizza was incredible - highly recommend!
Superlative, absolutely superlative
|Edgarpal||Sat, Jul 25 12:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Individual|
Superlative. That is the only word that can describe this experience, as it was an experience. Mark was extremely gregarious and managed the class well. He had the class at ease and comfortable with each other within 10 minutes. He asked questions and explained answers in detail. What I really appreciated was the scientific explanation that accompanied the explanations. Mark was clearly very passionate and experienced, but he also knew and was happy to explain the science of what was going on. And he was effortlessly able to insert humor into any moment.
He was fluent in metrics, which the UK family in the class very much appreciated. Mark is able to handle international students without a sweat; probably due to traveling overseas to appear on shows. He was able to establish his credentials in an organic, smooth manner throughout the class. I was very, very impressed by that. Not once did he sound like he was bragging; he was simply providing the context for where he learned of this restaurant, or this pizza technique, or that ingredient.
Jenny and Max where also very knowledgeable and encouraging, which we all were grateful for once it was our turn to make pizza pies. They were able to guide and suggest without taking the process out of our hands, so that we were all self-sufficient and confident by the end of the class.
Also, the decor inside is utterly awesome. Black and white photos from the 20th century, color photos from 2000s, humorous signs here and there, and even neon signs! The background music was great as well. I felt very comfortable in there.
I would unreservedly recommend this to even a stranger on the street.
Great time, very engaging teacher owner.
|pedro123||Sat, Jul 25 12:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
I attended the class with my grandson. It was excellent although very expensive.
The best thing to kick start my New York visit.
|Kristin1809||Sat, Jul 4 12:00 PM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
I had just arrived in NYC the day I took the class (straight from the airport, luggage and all) and I truly had the best time! The class was informative and we learnt all the basics then we're give time to go out on our own and get creative with making our own pizzas. The team was incredible! So friendly and so much fun. I even go to learn how to toss the dough in the air! From the moment I left the class, I've been bragging about it to anyone who will listen and I can't wait to get back home to make more pizzas to show off what I learnt!
Big big thank you!
One of the highlights of our trip to New York
|Lorraine71||Sat, May 16 12:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My teenage daughter and I were thrilled with the information and fun in pizza class. The instructors were knowledgable and enthusiastic. We were amazed to discover how easy it is to make pizza at home - and the results are worlds away from delivery pizza! Looking forward to going back next time with my husband. It was a great experience to be a local kitchen and do something we normally would not have done. I think we both agreed that it was one of the highlights of our trip.
Enjoyable and informative
|amlwx1||Sat, Apr 25 12:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
The four hours went quickly...and we cam home with some great skills and have lost the fear about making pasta dough.
This was a terrific class!
|ILYMAT1971||Sat, Apr 18 12:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Great class - i learned alot and had a terrific time. Pace was just right and owners/instructors were knowledgable, accessible, and extremely helpful. I highly recommend it!
|melsurani||Sun, Apr 5 12:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Individual|
I've been making pizzas at home for a while, but they never compared to pizzeria-type quality. After one day of training (half a day), I feel confident to do this on my own. Friendly, encouraging, and patient staff.
A wonderful experience
|Loisvandeuse||Sat, Mar 28 12:00 PM||Female||70+||Local||Unspecified|
This was the most fun I have had in a while. Mark, Jen and Max were terrific. And the pizzas we made the next day with our leftover dough were very good. I will send my family. The grandchildren will love it.
We learned a great deal and had a lot of fun.
|PCraven||Sat, Mar 28 12:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
The class was a revelation in terms of learning all of the things we were doing wrong and how easy and enjoyable it is to make delicious pizza. Mark and Jenny were informative, enthusiastic, patient and they had great senses of humor. I would do it again.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes. Classes have a limited capacity and often sell out. Additionally, if you are planning to book for several people, it's a good idea to purchase tickets well in advance before spots fill up. You can purchase tickets using Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What if I'm coming to the class by myself and am not bringing a pizza partner?
- Not a problem! Individuals are more than welcome to sign up for this class. You'll have your own, individual pizza-making station. The $195 ticket covers admission for one person.
- What is the difference between the two ticket prices?
- The $195 ticket covers admission for one person per pizza workstation, and the $295 ticket covers admission for two people sharing a pizza workstation.
- How many people will be in the workshop with me?
- To ensure the perfect pizza making experience and individualized attention for all, class size is limited to 8 teams of 2 (16 people total).
- Can children of any age attend?
- While a passion for pizza knows no age, we feel that the intensive nature of our classes is best suited for pizza lovers 10 years and older. Because there is beer and wine for sale on our premises, by law children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult (and both the child and the adult must have their own ticket). However, private classes for children of all ages can be arranged. Click on the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link to request more information.
- Who will the class leaders be?
- Your class leader will be Mark Bello, founder of Pizza a Casa and/or Neil Lesneski, master pizzaiolo. Pizza a Casa's pizza-making classes have been praised in publications including Gothamist, Time Out NY, Food & Wine, Tasting Table and The NY Daily News-- to name just a few.
- What will we do during the 4 hours of the workshop?
- You'll start by making your own dough from scratch, then go step by step through the process of crafting the perfect pie, all the while sampling pizzas as they emerge hot from the oven. Topics covered include: secrets of the sauce, forming the perfect crust, dressing for success, and much, much more. You'll be amazed by your own talent and your favorite pizza joint will start wondering where you've gone...
- Are any drinks included as part of the ticket price? Can I bring my own?
- Beer, wine and soda are available for purchase. BYOB is not permitted.
- Are cameras or video cameras allowed?
- Photography of students with their pizza masterpieces is encouraged. Video taping is not allowed.
- Is the workshop only available in English?
- These workshops are currently only offered in English. Click on the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link to request more information.
- How early should I arrive?
- We'll open our doors 15 minutes prior to class start, and your class will start on time.
- Is there parking available?
- The nearest parking lot is is two and a half blocks north of us at 107 Essex Street (between Delancey and Rivington). Metered street parking is available on Grand Street and on Essex Street.
- Will there be a restroom available?
- Can I bring personal belongings with me? What about luggage?
- Best to bring as little as possible and a BIG appetite! We do have limited space for luggage in the event that you are arriving straight from the airport. Please note Pizza a Casa Pizza School is not responsible for lost, stolen or damaged personal items.
- What kind of pizza can we make? Can we make whatever we want?
- We'll provide a diverse list of our favorite pizza possibilities, from classic combos to some unexpected and unforgettable matches, and all the top-shelf ingredients to make them. Students are also welcome to choose from the array of toppings to create the pizza masterpiece of their dreams!
- Do you offer vegetarian or vegan options?
- Our pizza dough contains no meat, dairy or eggs. We'll be by your side during class to make topping suggestions, and we've got something tasty for all palates and preferences.
- Does weather affect the workshop at all?
- Classes will be held rain or shine.
- Do you sell gift certificates for these workshops?
- Yes. A Pizza a Casa Pizza School gift certificate makes the perfect gift for that special pizza person in your life. To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- What other things do you offer besides the workshop?
- We offer a Couples Pizza-Making Workshop as well as private group classes, workshops with visiting chefs and more! If you'd like to stay up to date with our offerings, click the "Contact PizzaaCasa" link on the left and ask to be added to our email list. Additionally, we have a retail shop at the front of our classroom which features an expertly curated selection of home pizza making equipment and specialty ingredients are available for purchase.
- What if I have a group of couples who are interested?
- Email email@example.com for more information about our private classes.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Tickets must be used for the date and time selected.
- Pizza a Casa class sizes are kept small to maximize the attendee's experience and often sell out. Therefore, we cannot accommodate refunds, reschedules or other changes to your selected date and time. If you absolutely cannot attend the class you booked, your tickets may be used by a friend or family member. Thank you for your understanding!
Pizza a Casa Pizza School
Trip Advisor rates us in the TOP 100 Attractions in NYC
"If you do one thing in NYC, do this!"
"Great Class, good fun, don't miss this!"
"Fun way to learn to make amazing pizza at home..."
Tasting Table NY says: "If you think you need a wood-burning oven to make restaurant-quality pizza at home, then Mark Bello has something to teach you. Through his company, Pizza a Casa, Bello shows aspiring pizzaiolos how to cook perfect pies in even the shoddiest of apartment ovens."
The NY Daily News says: "Bello has mastered a recipe for dough and a method for getting his oven appropriately hot... The results are on par with what you get out of the city's better artisanal pizza shops. Better still, they can be reproduced in any kitchen."
Epicurious.com says: "I'm not just talking about learning to make pizzas at home. I'm talking about making pizzas that are better than 99.9 percent of the pizzas you'll ever have at a pizzeria or delivered to your home. And Mark Bello will teach you how to make them."
The Village Voice voted us Best Pizza 2010
"...that's why the pies that Mark Bello teaches his students to make at Pizza a Casa are such a revelation. Bello doesn't use a fancy oven (it's set at an attainable 500F), but the crusts that he conjures up are as crisp, chewy, and delicately charred as anything served at a restaurant-- and the best part is that you can easily make it at home."