The thrill of sailing a catamaran is like no other! Climb aboard, grab a line, and prepare yourself for an exciting ride on an ultra-fast, ultra-light catamaran. Our 90 minute sailing lessons offer a completely hands-on introduction to multi-hull sailing.
Our comprehensive introductory lessons cover all aspects of sailing including:
- Sail theory
- Points of sail
- Sail maneuvers
- Nautical terminology
- Rigging, wind, tides and more!
Lessons can be arranged on an individual basis or with a group of up to 6 passengers. If you are interested in a private lesson, please check out our Private Intro to Sailing Lesson. Participants can arrange single lessons for a general introduction, or arrange several consecutive lessons to take your sailing skills to the next level.
What Is Not Included?
- Food and beverages are not included. Feel free to bring a picnic to enjoy on board!
- Gratuities for the crew are not included, but are greatly appreciated.
- Do I have to book tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended as lessons sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased through Zerve with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What happens in the case of inclement weather?
- Our captains are very experienced in monitoring and forecasting local weather patterns. We do not sail in bad weather, however cancellations due to weather are only decided by the captain at the time of charter. In the event of a cancellation due to weather, you will be able to rescheduled if possible or receive a credit for a future sailing lesson.
- What will we learn during this sailing lesson?
- Our comprehensive introductory lessons cover all aspects of sailing including sail theory, navigation, points of sail, tacking/jibing, sail maneuvers, nautical terminology, rigging, wind, tides and more!
- What type of boat are we on?
- All of our charters are operated on a US Coast guard certified 27' Stiletto Catamaran. The boat is ultra-stable and offers an exciting ride with no heeling. We limit our capacity to 6 passengers for everyone's comfort and enjoyment.
- What should I wear on the sail?
- We recommend dressing comfortably and appropriately for the day's weather. Remember to bring an extra layer wince the temperature drops once we get out on the water.
- How many people are on each sailing lesson?
- We teach up to 6 passengers at a time.
- Are food and beverages available on board?
- While we don't provide any food or beverages, you are welcome to bring a picnic. We provide an iced cooler for guests to use.
- Is gratuity included in the ticket price?
- Gratuity is not included in the ticket price. If you've enjoyed your experience, tips for our hardworking crew are greatly appreciated! Gratuity aboard a charter boat works similarly to restaurant gratuities and ranges from between 15-20%.
- Is there any shade or indoor part of the boat?
- The sails of the boat do offer shade from the sun. However, we do recommend that all passengers bring hat, sunglasses and wear sunscreen while aboard the boat since there is no indoor or climate controlled area.
- Are there restrooms onboard?
- While there is no bathroom facility onboard, the Charleston Maritime Center has clean restrooms available both before and after the charter.
- Is the boat wheelchair or handicap accessible?
- Our crew will make every effort to accommodate all passengers to the best of our ability. For passengers with special requirements, please click the "Contact PrevailWinds" link on the left so we can discuss how we may be able to accommodate your group.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! We are happy to provide gift certificates for your friends and family. Please contact us directly to make arrangements by clicking on the "Contact PrevailWinds" link on the left.
- Are private charters available?
- Yes! If you would like to book a private charter please click on the "Intro to Sailing a Multi Hull Private Lesson" link to the left. If you would like a custom charter, please click on the "Contact PrevailWinds" link to discuss with us directly.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- All participants are required to have tickets for this event.
- Our boat is United States Coast Guard documented for a certain amount of passengers and we cannot exceed the capacity. This means that all passengers, including infants and toddlers, must have a ticket.
Prevailing Winds Catamaran Sailing Charters
For those looking for a romantic experience, a private sail aboard Prevailing Winds is the perfect setting for romance. Whether it is an engagement, wedding, vow renewal, or just a romantic night with a special someone, Prevailing Winds will set the stage for an unforgettable experience! For the aspiring sailor, we offer one-on-one sailing lessons with a licensed USCG Captain. You will have an opportunity to hoist the sails, take the helm, learn sail maneuvers and nautical terms. Prevailing Winds offers a unique sailing encounter that is perfect for beginners to experienced sailors!