For the past 100 years those words have been heard in and around Savannah, as Hollywood recognized that the ‘Hostess City’ was a perfect backdrop for filming. From silent movies to the original Cape Fear (1962), The Longest Yard (1974), the TV miniseries Roots (1977), Glory (1989), Forrest Gump, Something To Talk About and Midnight In the Garden of Good and Evil (1990s) to The Conspirator and The Last Song (2009), plus the aptly named Savannah, filmed in 2011, are just a few.
Savannah Movie Tours' famous 90-minute narrated tour, including numerous film clips, will pass many of the most recognizable locations. This is a ‘must do’ tour for moviegoers of all ages. And maybe a stop at the world-famous Leopold’s Ice Cream for a treat to end your tour?
This is also a pet-friendly tour.
What Is Not Included?
- Ice cream at the world famous Leopold's is not included in the cost of the tour. Please note we do not stop at Leopold's on the morning tours as it is not open.
- Gratuity for tour guides is not included but is greatly appreciated.
- Hotel pickup is available for an additional $5 cash per party payable to the driver.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|mhudak0414||Tue, May 24 3:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Lots of interesting facts. There were 4 of us on the bus so it felt like a private tour. And now we have a list of movies to watch :-)
|Margehooper||Tue, May 10 3:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
We were looking for something a little different to do in Savannah and the Movie Tour fit the bill. The driver/host was Gary and he did a great job. He is a native of Savannah and a true movie lover. The movie clips shown on the bus while you are parked in front of the location is a great idea. You really get to see the movie magic.
D & E Review
|Dlindecamp||Wed, Apr 20 3:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We were the only couple on this particular day and time. We were treated well. The monologue before we started moving was a bit long, but was informational. Many of the locations are in heavily trafficked areas so the stops cannot be for much time. Generally okay and if you take the other trolleys they pass along some of the same information from some of the most popular films.
Savannah Movie Tour
|Wandaopotts||Sat, Apr 16 9:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Enjoyed very much. Good information from tour guide. Saw several movie locations I had not seen before. Movie clips were good.
|DonnaJansen||Wed, Apr 6 9:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We really enjoyed this movie tour!! Our driver/guide Gary was friendly, courteous and Very knowledgeable! He did a great job of explaining a movie shot, showing a film clip of the scene, then pointing out how & where the scene was shot. He had All kinds of interesting details about the movie, actors, etc. We Definately recommend this tour!!
Welcoming and friendly to me and pup!
|awoodroffe||Tue, Mar 29 3:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
It was great to find a tour of Savannah that allowed me to bring my dog. I was travelling alone and didn't want to leave him alone in the hotel room and miss out on the fun! The driver was incredibly friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable of the area. The tour itself was ok. It was fun to see where some movies were filmed but Savannah isn't NYC - there were only 3 or 4 prominent movies and we saw multiple filming locations for those. Wish we could have stopped to take pictures of the main ones (Forrest Gump. Midnight Garden . . . ) as I ended up having to go back and take pictures later. Also - we REALLY wanted to stop at Leopold's for ice-cream but the line was long. We would have happily jumped out, waited in line and then walked back to the visitor center but were not given that option.
|rjbowen3||Thu, Mar 24 3:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Gary our driver was very knowledgeable, personable and entertaining. I would use your company again.
|rori60||Wed, Mar 16 3:00 PM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our group enjoyed the tour. We found it a little laggy, a few stops along the way would have been nic
Not worth it
|Kimbsue47||Sat, Mar 5 3:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We have had better tours in Savannah. This one is not worth the expense and would not recommend it.
Informative both with Savannah and movie history
|mmganzel||Fri, Feb 19 3:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
It was a very personalized tour as there were only two of us on it. The tour guide was very knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and informative.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes, tickets must be purchased in advance. Tours often sell out so we suggest purchasing your tickets early to guarantee your desired tour day. You can buy your tickets either online or by phone with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Can I bring my dog on this tour?
- Yes. We welcome well-behaved leashed dogs.
- How long is the tour?
- This is a 90 minute tour.
- Can I get picked up from my hotel?
- Yes, if you are staying within the Historic District we offer hotel pickup from many different hotels and B&Bs. Hotel pickup is an additional $5 per party payable to the driver. Please indicate which hotel you are staying when purchasing your tickets.
- What if it rains?
- The tours run rain or shine, so please dress according to the day’s forecast. We only cancel the tour during a tropical storm or hurricane. Please keep in mind that most of the tour takes place on our climate controlled luxury bus so you will be out of the elements.
- Is the tour suitable for children? Do they need tickets?
- While children are welcome on the tour, please keep in mind that tours are 90 minutes long. Parents, who know their children best, should assess whether a 90 minute tour is appropriate for their child's attention span. Children 4 and under can attend for free and there is a reduced rate for children between the ages of 5 and 12.
- What will we see on the tour?
- You will view film clips on our flat screen TVs from the The Longest Yard, the original Cape Fear, Something to Talk About, Forrest Gump, The Last Song, Roots, and many more, while at the actual filming sites.
- Are we on the bus for the entire tour? Is there walking involved?
- Most of the tour time is spent on the bus, but we will make at least 2 stops along the way. Please note, we only stop at Leopold's Ice Cream on the afternoon tours, as in the morning the shop will not be open. There is minimal walking on the tour.
- Where does the tour end?
- The tour ends back at the starting point: the Savannah Visitor Center. More specific details will be given upon purchasing tickets. If you are purchasing hotel pickup, we can drop you back off at your hotel.
- Is the tour narrated?
- Yes, the tour guide will narrate the tour and is happy to answer any of your questions about the sights you will see.
- Is there a restroom on the bus?
- There is no restroom on the bus but there are restroom facilities near the beginning and ending locations of the tour.
- Is the bus wheelchair and stroller accessible?
- Unfortunately, the bus is not wheelchair accessible. We cannot take electric wheel chairs, but we can take collapsible wheelchairs, strollers, or walkers if you can be helped up the 3 steps to board the bus. There are grab handles on both sides, and the guide is always there to help.
- What kind of vehicle will we be traveling in?
- Savannah Movie Tours and More tours take place on a luxury, climate controlled, 24 passenger bus.
- Are food and beverages included on the tour? Can I bring my own?
- Food is not allowed on the bus, but feel free to bring a beverage as long as it's in a sealed container. No alcohol is allowed on the bus and just be sure to remove all trash at the end of the tour.
- Is there assigned seating on the bus?
- There is no assigned seating on the bus.
- Can I leave my belongings on the bus if we get off? May I bring luggage on the bus?
- Yes, you can leave your belongings on the bus when you get off as your guide always locks the bus. There is very limited storage space and we cannot accommodate large pieces of luggage.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes! There is so much to see during the tour and it would be absolutely worth it to bring a camera.
- How should I dress for the tour?
- We recommend comfortable walking shoes and dressing appropriately for the weather as we will be getting off the bus at certain locations.
- Will locals enjoy the tour as well or is it mostly for tourists?
- Absolutely! Whether you are looking for a way to entertain out-of-town guests, plan a bachelorette party, have a team-building exercise, or just learn more about our wonderful Hostess City. You may be surprised at how much you will learn.
- Are tours only available in English?
- Yes, at the moment we can only offer tours in English, but you are welcome to arrange for an interpreter. Please note that if you are accompanied by an interpreter, they will need a full priced ticket.
- Is there parking available nearby?
- Parking is free at the Savannah Visitor Center for the first hour and $1 for each additional hour.
- Are gratuities included?
- Gratuities are not included in the ticket price. While not required, gratuities are accepted and always appreciated by the tour guides.
- Is smoking allowed on the tour?
- Smoking is not permitted during the tour.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available for purchase and make great gifts for family and friends. If you have any questions about purchasing or redeeming gift certificates, please click on the “Contact SMMTours” link on the left side of this page.
- Can I arrange a private tour?
- Yes! Private tours are available. To inquire about booking a private tour, please click on the “Contact SMMTours” link on the left of this page.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity takes place rain or shine
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation the seller must cancel the event prior to departure, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a full refund.
- Hotel pickup is available for an additional fee.
- Hotel pickup is available for an additional fee of $5 per party. This fee must be paid in cash, using exact change, to the driver and is not part of the ticket price.
- Tax & Preservation Fee are included in the total ticket price.
- Please note that the 10.5% tax rate includes both Georgia Sales Tax and the City of Savannah Preservation Fee.
Savannah Movie Tours and More
Our luxury climate-controlled, twenty-four passenger minibuses give Savannah visitors a more comfortable and personalized experience, while our professional tour guides will entertain and enlighten you with stories and information about our beautiful ‘Hostess City.’
All the tours that “Hollywood” Ron made famous: The Savannah Movie Tour, The Riding and Walking Foody Tours, The Riding and Walking Scary Ghost Tours, and the Martini Tour can still be found on this site, as well as some new tours; The Walking History Tour and The Civil War Tour that were created especially with our visitors in mind.