Her design is influenced by the style of the late 1800s but incorporates technology of the 21st century, thus connecting the past and present beauty, history, and art of sailing in New York Harbor.
A day sail on this 105-foot schooner is perfect for family outings, dates, and entertaining guests from out of town. A sail on America 2.0 is guaranteed to be an memorable experience.
Within five minutes of leaving the dock, you'll forget the mayhem and noise of Manhattan street life as you feel the relaxing breeze of New York Harbor.
You'll take in the famous Manhattan skyline as it was meant to be seen-- from the water -- plus spectacular views of Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge.
You'll experience the following on your two-hour sail:
- Heading south from Chelsea Piers and down the Hudson River to Battery Park, the schooner will pass by Ellis Island and sail out to the Statue of Liberty.
- Wind and time permitting, she will head toward Governors Island, breeze by the Financial District and sail through the Buttermilk Channel.
Join us on the Schooner America 2.0 as we sail the harbor of the most famous island in the world!
What Is Not Included?
Gratuity is not included in the price of your sail. However, parties of 12 or more will be contacted shortly after purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Relaxing cruise around the city
|cblchief||Sun, Sep 27 4:00 PM||Male||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
We took an afternoon cruise around Manhattan on Sunday. The trip was great. The crew on the schooner America 2 was fantastic. My wife and I cruised on this boat in Key West earlier in the year and the quality of the experience was good on both cruises.
An exciting and beautiful trip.
|NancyJe||Sun, Sep 27 4:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
The NYC Harbor is endlessly interesting, with its many boats and sights. The crew of the sailboat were lovely and involved, offering beverages and conversation if you wished. Will happily go again!
|Lisalevally||Fri, Sep 25 2:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Had a great time--loved the free T-shirts and champagne. My boyfriend dropped to one knee and proposed! (and I accepted). There was a wedding photographer on board (by coincidence), and she took pictures--even with a Polaroid--What could be better?
|evantbeth||Tue, Sep 22 3:30 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Breathtaking view from the Hudson! Courteous and personable crew. Beautiful boat. Thanks so much for an awesome excursion!
|mccdad||Sun, Sep 20 1:00 PM||Male||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Trip was gift to our nephew. He had a great day. The Captain and crew were wonderful to him. He got the opportunity to steer the boat. We all had a perfect day.
|mysi4ka||Sun, Sep 20 1:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
Bought couple tickets to celebrate my friend's birthday. Had a blast! Great crew, knowledgeable and hospitable. Will definitely be back!
Great afternoon on a perfect weather day!
|MikeFontana||Tue, Sep 15 3:30 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
We sailed on Tuesday of this week, perfect September weather. The crew were very attentive and professional. The boat felt very secure and safe. I highly recommend this over other more touristic boat tours. We had previously taken the AIA tour around the island on the Classic Manhattan. It, too, was very well organized and very professional in it's delivery.
We will certainly use this company again!
Favorite activity of the trip
|jtschwaller||Sat, Sep 12 3:30 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
My wife and I booked on the Schooner Adirondack at the recommendation of friends. Classic Harbor Line (CHL) had to rearrange our schedule very slightly, to accommodate a private charter on that boat. A representative from CHL spoke with me to confirm we were comfortable with the change. She was helpful, informational, and kind.
The America 2.0 was great - a little larger but still in line with our expectations. We sailed from Chelsea Piers past Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, and lower Manhattan. The views were spectacular, and the crew was engaging and so friendly - it was clear that they love what they do. There were ~25 other passengers but my wife and I had plenty of space to enjoy a quiet conversation to ourselves. We also enjoyed speaking with the crew.
I would recommend CHL and the America 2.0 to anyone looking for a fun activity in NYC. It is likely we will do it again on our next visit!
One Trip You Shouldn't Miss!
|chris555||Sat, Sep 12 1:00 PM||Male||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
A great crew, very friendly and laid back. Gives you a break from the city and an opportunity to see Manhattan from a different angle.
Well worth the money
Best part of our New York trip
|acouper||Tue, Sep 8 3:30 PM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Just back from 4 days in New York and this was the highlight of the trip. Spent 2 hours on America 2.0 being looked after by Captain Andrew, Dan and Dan. Sun was shining and there was enough wind to sail out to the Statue of Liberty and then further around the bay. Even my husband, who does not like boats, rated it the highlight of our trip.
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, you should also check out cruises aboard the Schooner Adirondack, Adirondack III and the Yacht Manhattan. See our "Calendar of Other Activities" for other available options.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $25, and up to 4 hours is $38.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- For children between the ages of 3 and 14 you should purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Children ages 2 and younger ride for free, but you’ll still need to enter the appropriate number of Infant tickets labeled “Free” when purchasing. All passengers, regardless of age, must have a ticket, so please make sure your entire party is accounted for in this way.
- Why doesn't the schedule list weekdays for more than the next couple of weeks?
- The schooner America 2.0 is a very popular choice for private charter sailing, so weekdays are added as they become available for the public, which may not be until just a week or two before the sail date. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back at this website frequently for updates, or contact Classic Harbor Line by clicking the "Contact SailNYC'" link (Many people also use the "Email a friend" link to send themselves an email, so they can easily return to this page for schedule updates.)
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- While each sail may differ due to wind and other conditions, we do try to follow the following route: heading south from Chelsea Piers and down the Hudson River to Battery Park, the schooner passes by Ellis Island and sails out to the Statue of Liberty. The sails occasionally visit the Brooklyn Bridge as well. There are fantastic views of the Financial District and the NYC skyline on the way back to Chelsea Piers.
- Is food served during the sails?
- Food is not served on the Day Sail, but drinks are included. Feel free to bring your own picnic with you on the sail!
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring alcohol of your own on board. Our Daytime Sail includes beer, soda, and bottled water. Our Brunch Sail includes Mimosas, Bloody Mary's, champagne, O.J., beer, wine, sodas, coffee and water. Our Sunset and City Lights sails include complimentary champagne, wine, beer, soft drinks and water. We therefore ask that you do not bring your own drinks on your sail. (One quick note: we will serve a few rounds, but it is not an unlimited booze-cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- Is the Schooner America 2.0 safe?
- Absolutely. While known for its speed, the Schooner America 2.0 is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets should you feel you need one. There are also private marine heads (bathrooms) and salons below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner America 2.0 is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooner, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. However, we cannot officially advise you to take any medication.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with two bathrooms that are accessible at all times. We call them "marine heads" and they are unlike the bathroom you use at home. Using a marine head involves pumping and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there seating on the boat?
- The America 2.0 has comfortable bench-style seating.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for the sails, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems with items being left on prior sails.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sails will end at the same pier from which they departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability), receive credit towards a future event, or receive a refund.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) If we are caught in a rain shower we have ankle-length button-down raincoats available for all of our guests aboard the America 2.0.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
- Why do they call her Schooner America 2.0?
- The Schooner America 2.0 is named for the boat she is attributed to. Her hull and rigging are designed after the famous Schooner America, which was built in New York Harbor in 1851 and won the World Cup in Britain that same year. However, America 2.0 is not an exact replica; she is constructed with modern materials, thus 2.0.
- What is the difference between the sails on the America 2.0 versus Adirondack?
- The routes and durations of the trips are the same, and of course exceptional views of the two sailing options are very similar. However, prices and vessels are different. The elegant and new America 2.0 is larger (at 105 feet) and faster than her sister ship the Adirondack.
- Is the schooner handicap accessible?
- No, unfortunately the schooner is not wheelchair-accessible.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, a private sail on the Schooner America 2.0 is a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking the "Contact SailNYC" link.
- Is smoking permitted during the sail?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for the Daytime Sail on the Schooner America and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this sail, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be canceled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a refund.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 18%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
Fast forward to 2011 and Scarano Boat Building in Albany, NY takes classic American values of craftsmanship and efficient design and adds in 21st century concepts--modern materials and eco-friendly propulsion-- and creates the most prestigious state-of-the-art ship of our time, America 2.0.
Sailing on the Schooner America 2.0 is a privilege. She moves through the water effortlessly and beautifully, and we take great pride in sharing her with you. Our staff is known for their amazing hospitality, and are all professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessels well and safely. Do not hesitate to ask our crew about the boat or any of the NYC sites.