Step away from the hustle and bustle of the city with your favorite companions when you board this 105-foot, 1800s-style vessel, America 2.0. She's perfect for romantic outings, entertaining friends from out of town, or just relaxing. This is sure to be an event you’ll want to experience again.
Glide peacefully through the waters of the New York Harbor on the most relaxing, beautiful, and romantic excursion in the city. During your trip, take in the majestic colors of the sunset surrounding New York Harbor's skyline and iconic landmarks: the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the Brooklyn Bridge.
You'll experience the following on your two-hour sail:
- Heading south from Chelsea Piers and down the Hudson River to Battery Park, the schooner will pass by Ellis Island and sail out to the Statue of Liberty.
- Wind and time permitting, she will head toward Governors Island, breeze by the Financial District and sail through the Buttermilk Channel.
- Complimentary champagne, wine, local craft beers, soda and water will be provided. (One quick note: We will serve a few rounds, but this is not an unlimited booze cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.) Featured New York State wines available for purchase.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Lovely trip - thoroughly recommended
|PGrant1||Sat, Jul 25 7:00 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
Having moved to New York from UK 3 years ago my husband and I have often talked about doing a boat trip of this kind - only wish we'd done it sooner.. Very enjoyable, friendly crew and beautiful boat. We intend taking many of our regular visitors from the UK on this trip - they'll love it!!
Beautiful way to experience the city at sunset
|SaraMinard||Sat, Jul 25 7:00 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
A wonderful sail, friendly staff, nice wine and an overall very pleasant ambiance. It would have been nice if the crew would have offered us a life jacket for our 5 year old, and made some accommodations for us to sit together as a family, but other than that, it was a spectacular evening, especially when the engines turned off and we just sailed towards Lady Liberty.
|Mkahana||Sat, Jul 25 7:00 PM||Unspecified||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
This is a very professional crew and a great boat ... Amazing captain that allowed for great photos all along the trip. Perfect weather added to the evening. It could not have been better.
|LMWillkens||Fri, Jul 24 7:00 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Couple on a Date|
I took my husband out for a sail - he loves sailing. We had a wonderful experience! We went after work on a Friday evening, and it was perfect. It was a great night to be on the water, the crew was attentive and enthusiastic and friendly, but never annoying. Drinks ranged from champagne and wine to beer, soft drinks and water. Glasses were filled in a timely fashion. We brought cheese and grapes with us which was great with the champagne! We would heartily recommend this. We will be indulging in this again.
|Salita||Thu, Jul 23 7:00 PM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Would highly recommend
beautiful way to see new york!
|flagirll||Thu, Jul 23 7:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
my husband and I have been to new york many many times, but never saw it from the water. a friend recommended the sunset cruise, but we didn't want one of the big boats crammed with people. this cruise was perfect... a beautiful, classic boat, comfortable, room enough for everyone, and the staff was fantastic. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Delightful sail, offering beautiful views
|andrewmleaf||Tue, Jul 21 7:00 PM||Male||70+||Combination||Group of Friends|
An exceptionally vivid sunset enhanced this delightful experience of the city and its harbor. The crew were
competent, cordial, and personable and did nothing to detract from our enjoyment of the evening. While admiring the view of the city -- especially with sunset reflecting from its windows -- I very much appreciated the quiet, peaceful, non-mechanized sensation of the sail, as did our friends from North Carolina. This was our second sunset cruise on this schooner; it will not be our last.
|gartie||Tue, Jul 21 7:00 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
The sky was amazing - purple in NJ - grey rain clouds over Brooklyn, and a storm up north. While all of the other schooners in the harbor lowered their sails and headed back. Our schooner kept her sails up, and we stayed out. The crew was great, and we had a wonderful time.
|Mimmi24||Tue, Jul 21 7:00 PM||Female||Unspecified||Local||Family With Children|
Crew and sail were fantastic!
Breath taking views with great staff
|victoriosa01||Tue, Jul 21 7:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
Despite the forecast, we sailed and so glad we did. The skies were breathtaking and the staff were excellent. The hospitality was on point. The boat was not exactly how I had envisioned, but am glad it wasn't a large ship as I had previously experienced. The money was worth it, thank you for the memorable experience.
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, you should also check out cruises aboard the Schooner Adirondack and the Yacht Manhattan. See our "Calendar of Other Activities" for other available options.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $25, and up to 4 hours is $38.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- General admission tickets are for all ages. There are no free infant tickets or child tickets available on the Sunset Sail. We do have free infant tickets and child tickets available on our Day Sails at 1:10 & 3:40 as these departures are designated as family-friendly sails. You ARE permitted to bring children on the Sunset Sail, but they will have to have a "General Admission" full price ticket purchased on their behalf. This trip is designated for Adults and Couples and we aim to create an elegant experience for these guests. We ask that only mature, well-behaved children be brought aboard for the sunset sails and city lights sails should you choose to book the evening sail with children.
- Why doesn't the schedule list weekdays for more than the next couple of weeks?
- The schooner America 2.0 is a very popular choice for private charters, so trips are added as they become available for public cruises, which may not be until just a week or two before the sail date. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back on this website for updates to the schedule, or contact Classic Harbor Line by clicking the "Contact SailNYC'" link. Many people also use the "Email a friend" link to send themselves an email, so they can easily return to this page for schedule updates.
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- While each sail may differ due to wind and other conditions, we try to follow our regular route, which involves heading south from Chelsea Piers and down the Hudson River to Battery Park, passing by Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. The sails occasionally visit the Brooklyn Bridge as well. There are also fantastic views of the Financial District and the NYC skyline.
- Is food served during the sails?
- There is no food on this trip, however, feel free to bring your own picnic on the sail if you'd like!
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring your own alcohol on board. Our sunset and city lights sails include complimentary champagne, wine, beer, soft drinks and water. Our daytime sails include beer, soda, and bottled water. Our brunch sails include mimosas, bloody Mary's, champagne, OJ, beer, wine, soda, coffee, and water. (One quick note: We will serve a few rounds, but it is not an unlimited booze cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- Is the Schooner America 2.0 safe?
- Absolutely. While known for its speed, the Schooner America 2.0 is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets, should you feel you need one. There are also private marine heads (bathrooms) below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner America 2.0 is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooner, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take such precautions for motion sickness. However, we cannot officially advise you to take any medication.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with two bathrooms that are accessible at all times. We call them "marine heads" and they are unlike the bathrooms you use at home. Using a marine head involves pumping, and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for the sails, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems to date with theft or damage.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sails will end at the same pier from which they departed, which is Pier 62 at Chelsea Piers, near 23rd Street.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the captain, up to one hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability), receive credit towards a future event, or get a refund.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some of the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) We have ankle-length, button-down raincoats available for all of our guests aboard the America 2.0 in the case we are caught in a rain-shower.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of an 18% gratuity.
- Why do they call her Schooner America 2.0?
- The Schooner America 2.0 is named for the boat that inspired her. Her hull and rigging are designed after the famous Schooner America, which was built in New York Harbor in 1851 and won the World Cup in Britain that same year. However, America 2.0 is not an exact replica-- she is constructed with modern materials, thus 2.0.
- What is the difference between the sails on the America 2.0 versus Adirondack?
- The route and duration of the trips are the same, and of course exceptional views of the two sailing options are very similar. However, prices and vessels are different. The elegant and new America 2.0 is larger (at 105 feet) and faster than her sister ship, the Adirondack.
- Is the schooner handicap accessible?
- No, unfortunately the schooner is not wheelchair-accessible.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, a private sail on the Schooner America 2.0 is a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking the "Contact SailNYC" link.
- Is smoking permitted during the sail?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for the Sunset Sail on the Schooner America and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this sail, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be canceled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a refund.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 18%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
Fast forward to 2011 and Scarano Boat Building in Albany, NY takes classic American values of craftsmanship and efficient design and adds in 21st century concepts--modern materials and eco-friendly propulsion-- and creates the most prestigious state-of-the-art ship of our time, America 2.0.
Sailing on the Schooner America 2.0 is a privilege. She moves through the water effortlessly and beautifully, and we take great pride in sharing her with you. Our staff is known for their amazing hospitality, and are all professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessels well and safely. Do not hesitate to ask our crew about the boat or any of the NYC sites.