Step away from the hustle and bustle of the city with your favorite companions when you board this 105-foot, 1800s-style vessel, America 2.0. She's perfect for romantic outings, entertaining friends from out of town, or just relaxing. This is sure to be an event you’ll want to experience again.
Glide peacefully through the waters of the New York Harbor on the most relaxing, beautiful, and romantic excursion in the city. During your trip, take in the majestic colors of the sunset surrounding New York Harbor's skyline and iconic landmarks: the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the Brooklyn Bridge.
You'll experience the following on your two-hour sail:
- Heading south from Chelsea Piers and down the Hudson River to Battery Park, the schooner will pass by Ellis Island and sail out to the Statue of Liberty.
- Wind and time permitting, she will head toward Governors Island, breeze by the Financial District and sail through the Buttermilk Channel.
- Complimentary champagne, wine, local craft beers, soda and water will be provided. (One quick note: We will serve a few rounds, but this is not an unlimited booze cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.) Featured New York State wines available for purchase.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
one word: great!
|diltux||Fri, Oct 3, 14 6:30 PM||Male||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
the sunset sail event is memorable. the stuff was very friendly and qualified. the boat was clean and well-tended. everything was fine! I definitely recommend it :)
Girls night out
|ademetri||Fri, Oct 3, 14 6:30 PM||Female||20-29||Combination||Group of Friends|
This was absolutely worth it! Everyone in my group loved it!
|Chaz42||Tue, Sep 30, 14 6:30 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Other|
Although the sun had set. My friend and I had a great and memorable time.
The Perfect Evening for a Proposal
|mmarcus09||Sat, Sep 27, 14 6:30 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
I booked this trip with plans to propose to my long-term girlfriend. Despite living in the area, the views and settings were absolutely phenomenal. After about an hour or so, as our boat had made its turn back, we were set up for a picture in front of the world trade center. I handed our camera to the crew member, got down on one knee and proposed. She said yes and other passengers near by applauded. The crew was extremely attentive and provided us with champagne. You shouldn't expect a voiced tour on this trip, but the crew is extremely knowledgeable and answered all our specific questions. I would absolutely recommend this trip and even go again.
|llama1123||Sat, Sep 27, 14 6:30 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The free bottle of wine was a rip off since they give you free wine on the boat, but they refunded it without issue. I guess I'm just not sure why they offered it. Seems like they're just trying to get your money. The staff/crew were super nice and friendly. They were upfront about what we should expect and it turned out just like they said. The boat is packed though. I think if there was about 15 less people it would have been a much nicer experience. You can't move around and there wasn't enough places to sit either. It wasn't bad, but not sure if I would recommend it to a friend.
Beautiful, Unique, Classic NYC Experience
|tamaragitt||Tue, Sep 23, 14 6:30 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
I couldn't recommend this trip more. I am a local but have never sailed on the Hudson. The boat was beyond beautiful. The crew was super fun, knowledgable, and cool. We went on a Tuesday night and there were only 10 other people on the trip so it felt like a private charter. Sunset along the Hudson with the light reflecting off the buildings is any photographer's dream. The complimentary drinks and blankets were just the cherry on the sundae. I would recommend to any and all, and I would totally do it again. Great company, great boat, great crew. Fun for a couple or a big group of friends!
|Richlee6||Sun, Sep 21, 14 6:30 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Couple on a Date|
Perfect little boat, perfect crew, and perfect other customers. Just a delightful way to spend the sunset, the crew is really vested in their work and the care of the guests, very friendly, gracious and polite. As are the other guests. We brought picnic food for dinner, the boat supplied the libations, and liberally, albeit in plastic cups... the only drawback was plastic cups. Recommend bringing picnic/snack as by the time we returned, adjacent guests were hungrily eyeing our basket of leftovers.
Great tour with an amazing view on the skyline
|ArchitecTour||Sat, Sep 20, 14 6:30 PM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
We really enjoyed the tour and the great view on the Skyline. We even came really Close to the statue of liberty and took great photos.
Staff was really nice.
|Donarama||Tue, Sep 16, 14 6:30 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Group of Friends|
In every way
|gfeierherd||Thu, Sep 11, 14 6:30 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
The crew was great -- quiet and friendly -- and the scene is mind blowing. Highly recommended.
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, you should also check out cruises aboard the Schooner Adirondack and the Yacht Manhattan. See our "Calendar of Other Activities" for other available options.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $25, and up to 4 hours is $38.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- General admission tickets are for all ages. There are no free infant tickets or child tickets available on the Sunset Sail. We do have free infant tickets and child tickets available on our Day Sails at 1:10 & 3:40 as these departures are designated as family-friendly sails. You ARE permitted to bring children on the Sunset Sail, but they will have to have a "General Admission" full price ticket purchased on their behalf. This trip is designated for Adults and Couples and we aim to create an elegant experience for these guests. We ask that only mature, well-behaved children be brought aboard for the sunset sails and city lights sails should you choose to book the evening sail with children.
- Why doesn't the schedule list weekdays for more than the next couple of weeks?
- The schooner America 2.0 is a very popular choice for private charters, so trips are added as they become available for public cruises, which may not be until just a week or two before the sail date. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back on this website for updates to the schedule, or contact Classic Harbor Line by clicking the "Contact SailNYC'" link. Many people also use the "Email a friend" link to send themselves an email, so they can easily return to this page for schedule updates.
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- While each sail may differ due to wind and other conditions, we try to follow our regular route, which involves heading south from Chelsea Piers and down the Hudson River to Battery Park, passing by Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. The sails occasionally visit the Brooklyn Bridge as well. There are also fantastic views of the Financial District and the NYC skyline.
- Is food served during the sails?
- There is no food on this trip, however, feel free to bring your own picnic on the sail if you'd like!
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring your own alcohol on board. Our sunset and city lights sails include complimentary champagne, wine, beer, soft drinks and water. Our daytime sails include beer, soda, and bottled water. Our brunch sails include mimosas, bloody Mary's, champagne, OJ, beer, wine, soda, coffee, and water. (One quick note: We will serve a few rounds, but it is not an unlimited booze cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- Is the Schooner America 2.0 safe?
- Absolutely. While known for its speed, the Schooner America 2.0 is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets, should you feel you need one. There are also private marine heads (bathrooms) below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner America 2.0 is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooner, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take such precautions for motion sickness. However, we cannot officially advise you to take any medication.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with two bathrooms that are accessible at all times. We call them "marine heads" and they are unlike the bathrooms you use at home. Using a marine head involves pumping, and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for the sails, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems to date with theft or damage.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sails will end at the same pier from which they departed, which is Pier 62 at Chelsea Piers, near 23rd Street.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the captain, up to one hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability), receive credit towards a future event, or get a refund.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some of the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) We have ankle-length, button-down raincoats available for all of our guests aboard the America 2.0 in the case we are caught in a rain-shower.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of an 18% gratuity.
- Why do they call her Schooner America 2.0?
- The Schooner America 2.0 is named for the boat that inspired her. Her hull and rigging are designed after the famous Schooner America, which was built in New York Harbor in 1851 and won the World Cup in Britain that same year. However, America 2.0 is not an exact replica-- she is constructed with modern materials, thus 2.0.
- What is the difference between the sails on the America 2.0 versus Adirondack?
- The route and duration of the trips are the same, and of course exceptional views of the two sailing options are very similar. However, prices and vessels are different. The elegant and new America 2.0 is larger (at 105 feet) and faster than her sister ship, the Adirondack.
- Is the schooner handicap accessible?
- No, unfortunately the schooner is not wheelchair-accessible.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, a private sail on the Schooner America 2.0 is a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking the "Contact SailNYC" link.
- Is smoking permitted during the sail?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for the Sunset Sail on the Schooner America and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this sail, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be canceled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a refund.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 18%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
Fast forward to 2011 and Scarano Boat Building in Albany, NY takes classic American values of craftsmanship and efficient design and adds in 21st century concepts--modern materials and eco-friendly propulsion-- and creates the most prestigious state-of-the-art ship of our time, America 2.0.
Sailing on the Schooner America 2.0 is a privilege. She moves through the water effortlessly and beautifully, and we take great pride in sharing her with you. Our staff is known for their amazing hospitality, and are all professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessels well and safely. Do not hesitate to ask our crew about the boat or any of the NYC sites.