This American Institute of Architects (AIANY) accredited tour is hosted by John Kriskiewicz, professor of Architecture and City Planning at Parsons and FIT.
Being low to the water and designed for comfort and small groups, guests are sure to have excellent views and photo opportunities. There is room for all in our elegantly appointed, cushioned and climate-controlled observatory, or guests may enjoy the outer teak decks when weather permits.
On this 2.75 cruise, you are treated to a complimentary beverage from the bar and light hors d' oeuvres.
Highlights along the way typically include:
- Battery Park, South Street Seaport and the Financial District
- Governor's Island, The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island
- High Bridge: as the city's oldest bridge, she was completed in 1842 to carry the Croton Aqueduct into Manhattan.
- 7 swing bridges, 3 lift bridges and 4 arch bridges that span the Harlem River
- Roosevelt Island, the United Nations Building, and the famous Williamsburg, Manhattan and Brooklyn Bridges of the East River
- The Upper West Side and the majestic George Washington Bridge
What Is Not Included?
Guarantee of a full circumnavigation of Manhattan is not included. On rare occasions, the Spuyten Duyvil train bridge is inoperable and cannot open for us to pass through. This is often times not known until our tour is underway. There are no refunds for tours that cannot fully circumnavigate. We will accommodate such cases with a tour that features a double backing of the route and further detail of the waterfront sites.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Architectural guide was excellent..!
|garyacord||Sat, Oct 3, 15 1:45 PM||Male||60-69||Local||Individual|
Guide was very knowledgeable, seemed to enjoy his job. Boat crew was excellent, polite. service oriented.
Consolidated architecture/bridge/infrastrucure tou
|pennycampion||Sat, Oct 3, 15 1:45 PM||Female||70+||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
The combined tour was offered because numbers were low but we really appreciated it a d would recommend that it be offered as an option.
|jmgordon314||Sat, Sep 19, 15 1:45 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
Crew was great. Tour guide was even better, very knowledgeable!
|Zippy63||Sat, Sep 19, 15 1:45 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
I loved the tour and appreciated how the tour guide architect presented the information. My husband, an electrical engineer, suggested that a tour enhancement for him would have been to stop for a few minutes under 3-4 bridges and provide detail about the design and design obstacles related to the different types of bridges and then skip general chatter about a few other bridges. He wanted more detail related to the bridge design for the various types of bridges (swing v. suspension, etc.), and we chose this tour instead of the general architectural tour to focus on the bridges.
That being said, it was a really fine activity on a lovely Saturday afternoon! Kudos to the crew and the architect for providing such an enjoyable experience!
enjoyable & informative!
|syakata||Sat, Sep 19, 15 1:45 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Individual|
My memory is terrible so handouts with architectural & statistical information helps me to recount to others with specifics ie name of architects, bridge stats & type, year constructed. Anecdotal information I tend to remember without notes.
|briank9803||Sat, Sep 19, 15 1:45 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
We celebrated my parents 60th wedding anniversary Saturday on the Manhattan Yacht- 10 family members
The tour was just perfect!!! Thank you so much
Second time as great as first
|rosslets||Sat, Sep 19, 15 1:45 PM||Unspecified||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
Crammed with fascinating details
Excellent focus on infrastructure
|robertross||Sat, Sep 19, 15 1:45 PM||Male||70+||Local||Couple on a Date|
Excellent focus on infrastructure: Especially good for forms of transportation. I would've liked to have learned a bit more about the electric grid system and how it interacted with the city and a bit more about the water system including the wastewater treatment.
Our guide was superb and managed crowd noise very well.
well worth it
|HRAYEGOLF||Sat, Sep 19, 15 1:45 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
First rate all around…ship, crew, speaker. Highly recommend. Group age from 25 to 78 and all enjoyed.
|susantm2003||Sat, Aug 1, 15 1:45 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had such a great time. The crew is excellent. The boat is so elegant. The free drink and hors d" ouevres. We will go again!
- Do cruises sell out frequently?
- Cruises often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $25, and up to 4 hours is $38.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- This trip is designated for Adults and Students (14 and older) with a keen interest in the narration. We aim to create an elegant and educational experience for these guests and ask that infants and children under 14 are not brought aboard. This tour is ideal for Adults and for Students with an interest in Engineering, Architecture, Urban Planning, Design or Waterfront Development. High School Students or College Students with a valid Student ID may make use of the 'Student' ticket. Free infant tickets and child tickets are available on the Statue & Skyline Cruise and the Brunch Cruise.
- What exactly do we see on the cruise?
- On the round-Manhattan (circumnavigation) cruise, the vessel travels north from Chelsea Piers on the Hudson River past the Empire State Building and the tree-lined upper west side, under the George Washington Bridge, past the New Jersey Palisades on the west side embankment and then east onto the Harlem River to the East River. The Motor Yacht Manhattan then passes by the United Nations, and under the Williamsburg, Manhattan, and Brooklyn Brooklyn Bridge (as well as 14 other bridges). She makes a wide pass through the New York City Harbor to grab a spectacular view of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, the Financial District and the complete NYC skyline before returning to Chelsea Piers.
- Will there be food or drinks on board?
- Yes, we will be serving light hors d'oeuvres. A complimentary beverage will be served on trips, plus additional beverages will be available for purchase from the bar, including wines by the glass or the bottle.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those too?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring alcohol of your own on board. A complimentary beverage will be served on trips, plus additional beverages will be available for purchase from the bar, including wines by the glass or the bottle.
- Are these vessels safe?
- Absolutely. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, and life jackets should you feel you need one.
- How steady is the cruise? Am I likely to get seasick?
- It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on these yachts, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is there an age limit for these cruises?
- While there is no age limit for the cruise, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Where does the cruise finish?
- Our cruise will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the cruise, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel cruises due to bad weather?
- The cruise runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where we are forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability), receive credit towards a future event, or receive a refund.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the cruise?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the cruise. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our cruise?
- The aft-deck observatory of these vessels is a completely enclosed area with a roof, so in the event of rain, you will be covered.
- Are these vessels handicap accessible?
- The vessels are accessible to those with walkers and canes. While the exterior deck is also accessible to those in wheelchairs, they are not completely wheelchair accessible by average standards. If you are in a wheelchair, please keep in mind that there is unfortunately no access into the main cabin (the back interior observatory). In addition, areas such as the on-board restrooms have limited access as they are located down several steps. A guest using a wheelchair who would like to reach the back observatory must be comfortable with being carried down by our crew. For this reason, we cannot safely accommodate guests who require this service if they weigh more than 175 pounds. If you will need this service, please click “Contact SailNYC” to discuss with us before purchasing tickets.
- Can I book a private charter cruise?
- Yes, private cruises can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private cruise, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNYC” to the left of the page.
- Is smoking permitted during the cruise?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Are gift certificates available for this cruise?
- Yes, gift certificates are available, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this cruise, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a refund.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 18%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
Both the Yacht Manhattan and Manhattan II were constructed right here in New York State by Scarano Boat Building. We take great pride in their New York heritage as well as in serving the very best of New York bees, wines, cheeses, produce and local baked goods aboard their decks.
Edible Manhattan wrote that we are “not your mother’s Circle Line.” We strive to surpass any “tourist” expectations of what a harbor cruise entails: We include a “taste of New York” in our menus and maintain an unprecedented level of hospitality aboard a special, beautiful, intimate yacht built by NY craftsmen.
Classically-lined and comfortable with teak decks and mahogany rails, these vessels can accommodate up to 110 guests. They feature an enclosed, cushioned observatory surrounded by large windows and skylights. They are equipped for all weather with a/c & heating and thus operates comfortably from early spring through New Year’s Day.