Climbing aboard Adirondack, our 80-foot wooden pilot schooner, you will quickly forget the mayhem and noise of Manhattan street life. You'll take in the famous Manhattan skyline as it was meant to be seen -- from the water. You will also enjoy spectacular views of Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty and the Brooklyn Bridge.
Some of the night's beautifully lit highlights will include:
- Chelsea Piers, a famous stretch of docks on the Hudson
- Battery park, a green haven resting on the southern tip of Manhattan
- Ellis Island, the immigrant doorway to America from 1892 to 1954
- The Statue of Liberty, bearing the torch of America's freedom
We will be shutting off our engines and setting sail for as much of the trip as possible.
Climb aboard our schooners and experience the splendor of New York City's night skyline .
What Is Not Included?
Gratuity is not included in the price of your sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted shortly after purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Martha108||Wed, Aug 26 9:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
from start to finish a perfectly lovely experience. I wasn't sure whether to book the daytime or nighttime tour but I'm really glad we went out at night. The skyline is magical at night. The boat is a treat, the staff are relaxed, friendly and knowledgeable. Very special time.
Amazing and Romantic Date
|junefino||Fri, Aug 21 8:30 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Couple on a Date|
we arrived late because of traffic, we missed the sunset cruise. After feeling that the whole evening was a loss the ticket attendant got us on the city lights cruise, it was amazing. We went aboard and the city lights were beaming brightly. The Statue of Liberty glowed in the harbor. We were so happy that we missed the sunset cruise. Bring some great cheese and bread and it's perfect with the complimentry wine.
|kevarnett||Sat, Aug 15 9:00 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The Captain and Crew was great! Weather was awesome and the Sailboat experience was great! Highly recommend this to everyone!!
The only downside was all the parties on the other boats. No fault of this group it just hurt the atmosphere at times. Still was wonderful!!
Perfect for a celebratory evening
|kvshuford||Thu, Aug 13 9:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
I took my fiance for a birthday surprise. It was very well organized, plenty of seats, plenty of drinks, and friendly crew who strike a nice balance between providing info/conversation and letting you enjoy the sail in peace.
Relaxing and low key way to enjoy the city lights
|Jessemoo||Sat, Aug 8 9:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Had a fantastic time and loved our boat's crew. It was a no stress and quiet way to enjoy the city!
|pinalafazia||Fri, Aug 7 9:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Everything was wonderful.highly reccomended
Nothing short of incredible.
|scottschreib||Thu, Aug 6 9:00 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Family Without Children|
If you're looking for an enchanting evening on the Hudson, look no further. Everything about this activity, from the ship to the crew, was incredible. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
|michaelpatti||Thu, Aug 6 9:00 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
Very nice crew very nice activity to enjoy the scenery of NYC
The perfect way to end our week in New York!
|mayramalone||Sat, Aug 1 9:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The staff was knowledgeable and friendly. We enjoyed our complimentary drinks. The view was amazing.
Everyone should take a cruise.
|gbarlikas||Sat, Aug 1 9:00 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
The crew is friendly and professional. The boat is clean and fast. The city lights view is amazing and the blue moon peeking over the skyline was an incredible bonus on a great date night. The two hours went by quickly and enjoyably and I would definitely sail again.
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week you would like to attend to check availability for public trips. And book as early as possible.
- Which schooner will I be on?
- You will either be on the Schooner Adirondack or the Schooner Adirondack III. Both boats are nearly identical and offer the same services and views.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, you should also check out City Light cruises aboard the Yacht Manhattan.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $25, and up to 4 hours is $38.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- General admission tickets are for all ages. There are no free infant tickets or child tickets available on the City Lights Sail. We do have free infant tickets and child tickets available on our Day Sails at 1 & 3:30 as these departures are designated as family-friendly sails. You are permitted to bring Children on the City Lights Sail, but they will have to have a "General Admission" full price ticket purchased on their behalf. This trip is designated for Adults and Couples and we aim to create an elegant experience for these guests. We ask that only mature, well-behaved children be brought aboard for the sunset sails and city lights sails should you choose to book the evening sail with children.
- Why doesn't the schedule list weekdays for more than the next couple of weeks?
- The schooner is a very popular choice for private charters, so trips are added as they become available for public cruises, which may not be until just a week or two before the sail date. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back on this website for updates to the schedule, or contact Classic Harbor Line by clicking the "Contact SailNYC'" link. Many people also use the "Email a friend" link to send themselves an email, so they can easily return to this page for schedule updates.
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- While each sail may differ due to wind and other conditions, we try to follow our regular route, which involves heading south from Chelsea Piers and down the Hudson River to Battery Park, passing by Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. There are also fantastic views of the Financial District and the NYC skyline.
- Is food served during the sails?
- Food is not served on the City Lights Sail, but drinks are included.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring your own alcohol on board. Our sunset and city lights sails include complimentary champagne, wine, beer, soft drinks and water. Our daytime sails include beer, soda, and bottled water. Our brunch sails include mimosas, bloody Mary's, champagne, OJ, beer, wine, soda, coffee, and water. (One quick note: We will serve a few rounds, but it is not an unlimited booze cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- Is the schooner safe?
- Absolutely. The schooner is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets, should you feel you need one. There are also private marine heads (bathrooms) below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The schooner is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any seasickness on the schooner, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take such precautions for motion sickness. However, we cannot officially advise you to take any medication.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. Using a marine head involves pumping, and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for the sails, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems to date with theft or damage.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sail will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the captain, up to one hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability), receive credit towards a future event, or get a refund.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some of the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) We have ankle-length, button-down raincoats available for all of our guests in the case we are caught in a rain-shower.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
- Are the schooners handicap accessible?
- No, unfortunately the schooners are not wheelchair-accessible.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, private sails on the schooners can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNYC” to the left of the page.
- Is smoking permitted during the sail?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for the City Lights Sail on the schooners, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this sail, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be canceled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a refund.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 18%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
Sailing in this schooner is a privilege. She moves through the water efficiently and beautifully; we take great pride in sharing her with you.
The Adirondack is operated by Coast Guard-certified captains and extremely friendly and talented crew. Our crew is known for their amazing hospitality, and are professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessels well and safely. Do not hesitate to ask our crew about the boat or any of the NYC sites.