Climb aboard our beautiful 80-foot schooner, the Adirondack, for this peaceful, picturesque sail away from the concrete and noise of the city.
Some illuminated views along the way will include:
- The New York City skyline
- Battery Park, a 20-acre park at the southern tip of Manhattan, where artillery has been stationed over the centuries
- Ellis Island, the immigrant doorway to America from 1892 to 1954
- The Statue of Liberty, a French gift that arrived in New York harbor in 1885 and has come to represent our nation's freedom and ideals
We will be shutting off our engines and setting sail for as much of the trip as possible.
Climb aboard the Schooner Adirondack and experience the city's beauty and elegance under the setting sun.
What Is Not Included?
Gratuity is not included in the price of your sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted shortly after purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|AshleyWCleme||Sun, May 24 6:30 PM||Female||20-29||Combination||Group of Friends|
Couldn't have been better!
A great expérience !
|Palmas||Sat, May 23 6:30 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
We made the sunset cruise and it Will remain one of our great memories of our New York trip . A wonderfull experience that we recommand !!!
A highlight of our week in New York City!
|CKChapman||Wed, May 20 6:30 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
We thoroughly enjoyed sailing the New York Harbor this week. The crew was professional and informative. Seeing Lady Liberty at Sunset and the entire skyline a highlight. This was a great way to celebrate our daughter's graduation. Sail on!
top notch experience
|Cynthiads||Tue, May 19 6:30 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Friendly staff, beautiful adirondak sail boat, fabulous scenery, great way to relax after a long day!
|LindaSBauer||Sun, May 17 6:30 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Blanket-offer a plus
Was disappointed there was no commentary
Hardly any room to have a picnic as was recommended to do
Amazing! Unique sights and attention
|MartaBusch||Sun, May 17 6:30 PM||Male||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Extremely cordial crew. They prioritize safety. Very punctual and delightful ride. Worth every cent!
Wonderful trip on NYC harbor
|asmiati||Sun, May 17 6:30 PM||Male||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
We were fortunate that we picked a wonderful afternoon to take this cruise. The staff were great and it was one of the highlights of our New York visit. Everything was very professionally done. Highly recommended
Great way to see New York
|kathleenkeon||Sun, May 17 6:30 PM||Female||20-29||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My mom and I visited New York (my first time) and went on the sunset sail. it provided great views of the city and the Sratue of Liverty and it was nice to see it during both day and night. It got cold out on the water when the sun went down but they had plenty of blankets to provide which was helpful. The staff were very friendly and happy to provide information.
Great experience, professionally run.
|jeffmenear||Thu, May 14 6:30 PM||Male||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
A great experience, with very friendly, efficient staff from the boat captain to the crew both onboard and onshore. Very good value.
|beamersbday1||Mon, May 11 6:30 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Perfect way to end an already perfect trip to NYC. Fantastic crew. Beautiful boat. The sunset behind the Statue of Liberty was breathtaking. The sun raze bouncing off Freedom Tower into heaven left us speechless and
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a wait-list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, you should also check out sunset cruises aboard the Manhattan!
- When is the sunset?
- The sun sets at a different time almost every day. Your sunset sail may occur during, at the start, at the end, just after, or just before a sunset. We start our sunset sails in early May when the sun sets at about 7:50. By June 1, the sunset is 30 minutes later. The latest average sunset is in June - starting at 8:20 in the beginning of the month and and ending at 8:30 by July. July ends with a sunset at 8:10. August progresses to a 7:30 sunset. The sunset in September drops almost a whole hour, from 7:30 to 6:30. October ends with a sunset at 5:50 and then daylight savings kicks in a week later in November...4:30 sunsets...depressing.
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- There is parking at Chelsea Piers. You must be south-bound on the West Side Hwy in order to access the turn-in for parking on Piers 61, 60, and 59. Up to 3 hours of parking is $25, and up to 4 hours is $38.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- General admission tickets are for all ages. There are no free infant tickets or child tickets available on the Sunset Sail. We do have free infant tickets and child tickets available on our Day Sails at 1 & 3:30 as these departures are designated as family-friendly sails. You are permitted to bring Children on the Sunset Sail, but they will have to have a "General Admission" full price ticket purchased on their behalf. This trip is designated for Adults and Couples and we aim to create an elegant experience for these guests. We ask that only mature, well-behaved children be brought aboard for the sunset sails and city lights sails should you choose to book the evening sail with children.
- Why doesn't the schedule list weekdays for more than the next couple of weeks?
- The schooner is a very popular choice for private charters and weekdays are added as they become available for public cruises, which may not be until just a week or two before the sail date. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back on this website for updates to the schedule, or contact Classic Harbor Line by clicking the "Contact SailNYC'" link. Many people also use the "Email a friend" link to send themselves an email, so they can easily return to this page for schedule updates.
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- While each sail may differ due to wind and other conditions, we try to follow our regular route, which involves heading south from Chelsea Piers and down the Hudson River to Battery Park, passing by Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty. There are also fantastic views of the Financial District and the NYC skyline.
- Is food served during the sail?
- Food is not served on the sunset sail, although drinks are included. Feel free to bring a small picnic if you like.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring your own alcohol on board. Our sunset and city lights sails include complimentary champagne, wine, beer, soft drinks and water. Our daytime sails includes beer, soda, and bottled water. Our brunch sails include mimosas, bloody Mary's, champagne, OJ, beer, wine, soda, coffee, and water. (One quick note: We will serve a few rounds, but it is not an unlimited booze cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- Are the schooners safe?
- Absolutely. The Schooner Adirondack is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets, should you feel you need one. There are also private marine heads (bathrooms) below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner Adirondack is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooner, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take such precautions for motion sickness. However, we cannot officially advise you to take any medication.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boats are equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. It involves pumping and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for the sails, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems to date with theft or damage.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sail will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded or rescheduled once purchased.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the captain, up to one hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is canceled, you will have the opportunity to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability), receive credit towards a future event, or get a refund.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) If we are caught in a rain shower we have ankle-length button-down raincoats available for all of our guests aboard the Adirondack.
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. Parties of 12 or more will be contacted directly by Classic Harbor Line within 48 hours of purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 18% gratuity.
- Are the schooners handicap accessible?
- No, unfortunately the schooners are not wheelchair-accessible.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, private sails on the Schooners Adirondack & Adirondack III. They can be unique and elegant events for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNYC” to the left of the page.
- Is smoking permitted during the sail?
- No, smoking is not permitted anywhere on the boat.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available for the Sunset Sail on the Schooners Adirondack & Adirondack III, and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this sail, please click on the "Gift certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be canceled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive credit for a future event, or receive a refund.
- Parties of 12 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 18%.
- Classic Harbor Line will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Classic Harbor Line
Sailing in this schooner is a privilege. She moves through the water efficiently and beautifully; we take great pride in sharing her with you.
The Adirondack is operated by Coast Guard-certified captains and extremely friendly and talented crew. Our crew is known for their amazing hospitality, and are professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessels well and safely. Do not hesitate to ask our crew about the boat or any of the NYC sites.