Within minutes of leaving the dock, you'll forget the distractions of life on land, as you experience the joy of a leisurely sailing cruise.
Enjoy the idyllic scenery of Newport Harbor and Narragansett Bay, as you:
- Feel the salty ocean breeze and bask in warm sun rays
- See Newport Bridge - New England's largest suspension bridge
- Take in views of historic lighthouses including Newport Harbor light with its famous green optic
- Cruise by a 19th century military fort used in the Civil War and World War II
During day sails, beer and wine are available for purchase ($3 or $4 per beverage), bottled local Yacht Club soda for $3 and water is provided on board at no cost. You might be able to talk the crew into making you a Dark and Stormy cocktail with local rum for $5. Those are generally reserved for the 5 PM sail.
Come enjoy the ride, see the sights and have a drink with us!
What Is Not Included?
The price of drinks is not included in the cost of your ticket, so please bring extra cash. Water will be provided on board at no cost.
Gratuity is not included in the price of your cruise. Parties of 10 or more will be contacted shortly after purchasing tickets to provide credit card information for an additional charge of 15% gratuity.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|RDreezy||Sat, Oct 18, 14 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We had a delightful time! Great crew that was knowledgable and friendly
Boat was wonderful! Narration was the pits!
|FredPook||Sun, Oct 5, 14 1:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The boat was great. Weather the best. Took the 1:00 sail. The only thing, we learned very little. The guides just did not step up to the plate. The guy steering the boat talked the entire time to his buddies about the girls that they knew. We set next to him. He offered nothing to the customers. The other two fellows spoke briefly about a couple of sites but that was it. Because he kept turning his head, the one guy that spoke, the wind took most of what he said. It was difficult to get up and move about simply because of the other guests and limited space. So, we could not ask questions. We were disappointed, we really thought that we would learn more about the area. We know that others were disappointed also. And! They asked for a tip in the end! Gosh! They never earned a tip! Word about town that day, after we asked, was the best sail for learning, education and narration is The Amazing Grace. We have family visiting next year and we have already cautioned them about The Schooner Adirondack 11! Oh, and their claim to fame was that there was booze to purchase. Really? Lots of places in town to have a drink. We did not spend $60.00+ to drink a beer on a sailboat! If you want to hear about the one guys girl-stories, I can share!
|KathyE0298||Sun, Sep 28, 14 1:30 PM||Female||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
wEATHER WAS PERFECT -- SAIL WAS GREAT....CREW WAS VERY PLEASANT AND INTERACTIVE WITH EVERYONE. great EXPEIRENCE -- WILL GO AGAIN NEXT YEAR!
Great trip. Great crew!
|DONNANEELY||Sun, Sep 28, 14 1:30 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
Great afternoon on the water!
|Drjaubert||Sun, Sep 28, 14 1:30 PM||Male||60-69||Local||Family Without Children|
Great crew and fabulous way to see Newport Harbor and enjoy sailing on a 80' schooner. Well worth the money. I went two weekends in a row. IT'S THAT GOOD!
Fun & Scenic
|ablykins||Sat, Sep 20, 14 1:30 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This is a fun 90 minute cruise for all ages. I recommend arriving 30 minutes early to check-in and be one of the first in line in order to secure the best seats. While all seating has a great view, some seats are easier to keep your balance in as the boat naturally shifts from side to side based on the wind. The crew was polite and attentive with positive attitudes. Be sure to bring cash to tip at the end of the tour. This boat also has a full bar, so bring extra $$ if you would like to purchase a beverage- the complimentary bottle/cup coozies are a nice souvenir.
Lovely Afternoon sailing
|PhyllisBKent||Thu, Sep 18, 14 1:30 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This was our second time on the Adirondack II. Beautiful afternoon sail. Crew was very courteous, attentive and knowledgeable about the Narragansett Bay Area. I would highly recommend this activity when visiting Newport.
Fall afternoon on schooner
|mkohlenberg||Sun, Sep 14, 14 2:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
Good weather is always a help in making a fall sail a pleasure, but to this was added a very handsome, comfortable and well-equipped yacht with a capable, friendly and good humored crew. We were made comfortable and at ease and taken on a fine sail, with captain and crew taking great care of us and answering questions when asked, but leaving us to enjoy the experience (and each other's company) without the tiresome travelogue that some hosts insist on providing.
|Jimwulff||Sun, Sep 14, 14 2:00 PM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Excellent cruise and crew.
Great Way To Get On The Water In Newport
|Marissapost||Sun, Sep 7, 14 2:00 PM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
My family of 6 (grandma, husband, me, 12 boy, 9 girl, and 2 girl) really enjoyed ourselves on the Adirondack. We would definitely do it again.
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- Why does the schedule only list events running in the next couple of weeks?
- The Schooner Adirondack II is a very popular choice for private charter sailing. We therefore only open the boat to public sails a week in advance. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back at this website frequently for updates. New events and sail times are added quite frequently, especially as the sail date draws near. (Many people also use the 'Email to a Friend' link to send themselves an email, so they can easily return to this page for schedule updates.)
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- While each sail may differ due to wind and other conditions, we do try to follow the following route: heading south out of Newport Harbor, Schooner Adirondack II passes by a 19th Century Fort and and sails out to Castle Hill Light House while passing stately waterfront mansions and seven different yacht clubs. Fantastic views of the Newport waterfront on the way back to Bowen's Wharf.
- Is there any narration on this sail?
- There will be some light narration on the sail. The captain and crew will give some information about the sights we see along the way, but this is a relaxing, leisurely sail on Narragansett Bay.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- For children between the ages of 4 and 11 you should purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Children ages 3 and younger ride for free, but you’ll still need to enter the appropriate number of Infant tickets labeled “Free” when purchasing. All passengers, regardless of age, must have a ticket, so please make sure your entire party is accounted for in this way.
- Is food served during the sails?
- Food is not served on the our sails, but feel free to bring your own picnic with you on the sail!
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring alcohol of your own on board. For day sails, beer and wine is available for purchase at $3 or $4 per beverage. Local Yacht Club bottled soda is available at $3 per beverage and water will be provided on board at no cost.
- Can I bring my own food or drinks on board?
- Feel free to bring along your own picnic. However, personal drinks are not allowed. There will be both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase on board.
- Is the Schooner Adirondack II safe?
- Absolutely. While known for her speed, the Schooner Adirondack II is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets should you feel you need one. There is also a private marine head (bathroom) and salon below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner Adirondack II is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the Schooner Adirondack II, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. It involves pumping and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for the sails, all attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- I've heard about another Schooner Adirondack some place else before. Is this ship related to it?
- The Schooner Adirondack II has a sister ship, the award-winning Schooner Adirondack, in New York City. The Schooner Adirondack also runs chartered sailing tours around the island of Manhattan.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems with items being left on prior sails.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sail will end at the same wharf from which it departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded once purchased. You may, however, reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) provided that you do so at least 24 hours before the scheduled start time for your sail. If you need to reschedule tickets that you already purchased, please contact us at the phone number or email listed on your eticket before this 24 hour deadline. The sail that you will be rescheduling for will not be for more than a week later. You may only reschedule your tickets once.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is cancelled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future event.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) If we are caught in a rain shower we have ankle-length button-down raincoats available for all of our guests aboard the Adirondack II.
- Is the Adirondack II wheelchair accessible?
- We regularly accommodate people in wheelchairs on our sails, but please keep in mind the wheelchair cannot wheel directly onto the vessel. In order to get from the dock onto the boat and comfortably into your seat, our staff will need to assist you.
- Are group discounts available?
- Sure! If you purchase 10 or more tickets at once, you'll get $3 off each ticket.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, private sails on the Schooner Adirondack II can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNewport” to the left of the page.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this Sail, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above. Also keep in mind that you can redeem your gift certificate in cash value towards any other sail we have!
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Parties of 10 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 15%.
- Sailing Excursions, Inc. will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional gratuity charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Sailing Excursions, Inc.
The Adirondack II is operated by Coast Guard Certifed Captains and extremely friendly and talented crew. Known for their amazing hospitality, our staff is all professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessel well and safely. They're also very knowledgeable about all the sights you will enjoy.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself. With wind behind the sails and amazing scenes in front of your eyes, everything is just breezy on the Adirondack II.