Climb aboard the Adirondack II, an 80 foot pilot schooner for an evening of fun and relaxation, away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Your knowledgeable captain and crew are always ready to answer questions about the sights and history of Newport Harbor and its surrounding areas, so feel free to ask them whatever you like!
While you experience the joy of a leisurely sailing cruise, you'll see views of Newport Harbor and Narragansett Bay with the setting sun as a perfect back drop. On this unique sailing trip, you'll:
- Sip prosecco, wine or beer at $3 or $4 (for local craft beer), per beverage, local bottled soda at $3 per beverage and water is free.
- Enjoy views of stately waterfront, Narragansett Bay mansions with gardens of different species from around the world
- Catch a glimpse of Hammersmith Farm - the former Summer Whitehouse of JFK and the site where the couple took their vows.
Come enjoy the ride, see the sights with us!
What Is Not Included?
The price of drinks is not included in the cost of your ticket, so please bring extra cash. Water will be provided on board at no cost.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|chrissee169||Sun, Aug 30 6:45 PM||Female||Unspecified||Local||Couple on a Date|
the sail was awesome, the crew was great, and informative!
|csnyder3833||Wed, Aug 26 6:45 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Family Without Children|
We went last night and had a beautiful night celebrating our mother's birthday. It was a peaceful, awesome way to end the night.
Awesome Experience, Great Staff
|leahc1220||Sun, Aug 23 6:45 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
We had an awesome time on the sunset cruise! The weather was partly cloudy but we still saw a beautiful sky and the staff was very helpful and provided great information while we were on the tour. Great atmosphere, great views!
|DavidWyns||Sat, Aug 22 6:45 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
it was a great time staff was the best
Wonderful cruise but...
|KAMullen||Sat, Aug 22 6:45 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
I would highly recommend this cruise to anyone visiting the Newport area! The ONLY negative thing I can say about it is....it should be longer. The crew was wonderful, very entertaining as well. Not crowded in, enough room plus! I would do it again the next time I am in Newport.
|Leeana123||Sat, Aug 15 6:45 PM||Female||50-59||Local||Other|
sunset cruise was perfect..awesome view. Just would have liked more info about the sights.
Relaxing sunset sail
|bgiuliano03||Sat, Aug 15 6:45 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
My boyfriend and I enjoyed the sunset sail, the captain and crew were attentive and friendly crew. Weather was perfect and in case you forget a sweater they have blankets available.
What a night!
|Foxxy14819||Sat, Aug 15 6:45 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
16 friends surprised my husband for his birthday with a sunset sail and it was by far the most fun we've all had. The weather was perfect, the views were amazing and the crew were all super friendly and fun. Not only would I recommend this to anyone who asks, but I already can't wait to go back and do it again! Thank you Helen for all of your help coordinating the surprise party and getting the tickets in order! It truly was an amazing night!
|ReiBrady7216||Fri, Aug 14 6:45 PM||Female||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
friendly & knowledgable staff, beautiful views, fairly priced (tickets and drinks)
|Kimberlybutl||Thu, Aug 13 6:45 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
The staff was very friendly and fun! We went with co-workers and it was a very fun time--well worth the money! Next time we are back in town will definately do it again!
- Do sails sell out frequently?
- Sails often sell out, and are rarely open for booking more than a week in advance. Check the website or call the week of the date you would like to attend to check availability for public trips and to book as early as possible.
- Why does the schedule only list events running in the next couple of weeks?
- The Schooner Adirondack II is a very popular choice for private charter sailing. We therefore only open the boat to public sails a week in advance. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back at this website frequently for updates. New events and sail times are added quite frequently, especially as the sail date draws near. (Many people also use the 'Email to a Friend' link to send themselves an email, so they can easily return to this page for schedule updates.)
- What exactly do we see on the sail?
- While each sail may differ due to wind and other conditions, we do try to follow the following route: heading south out of Newport Harbor, Schooner Adirondack II passes by a 19th Century Fort and and sails out to Castle Hill Light House while passing stately waterfront mansions and seven different yacht clubs. Fantastic views of the Newport waterfront on the way back to Bowen's Wharf.
- Is there any narration on this sail?
- There will be some light narration on the sail. The captain and crew will give some information about the sights we see along the way, but this is a relaxing, leisurely sail on Narragansett Bay.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- Due to the time of the sunset sail we do not allow children under 12 years of age on this sail.
- Is food served during the sails?
- Food is not served on the our sails, but water is complimentary. There will also be drinks available for purchase on board, so please bring extra cash. Feel free to bring your own picnic with you on the sail!
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- No, it is illegal for you to bring alcohol of your own on board. During the evening, our sail includes prosecco, wine and beer at $3 per beverage, $4 per local craft beer; local soda at $3 per bottle. Water will be provided on board at no cost. And you may be able to talk the crew into making your the "sailor's drink", with Thomas Tews Rum and ginger beer; called a Dark & Stormy cocktail for $5. We ask that you do not bring your own drinks on your sail. (One quick note: we will serve a few rounds, but it is not an unlimited booze-cruise. We aim to create an elegant, relaxing, peaceful, and safe experience for all of our guests.)
- Can I bring my own food or drinks on board?
- Feel free to bring along your own picnic. However, personal drinks are not allowed. There will be both alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages available for purchase on board.
- Is the Schooner Adirondack II safe?
- Absolutely. While known for her speed, the Schooner Adirondack II is a safe and gentle vessel. Along with your captain, there is a minimum of two crew members on every sail to make sure you feel comfortable and at home on the water. We are stocked with water, beverages, blankets, pillows, and life jackets should you feel you need one. There is also a private marine head (bathroom) and salon below.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooner Adirondack II is a steady, gentle vessel. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the Schooner Adirondack II, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. It involves pumping and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- For the sunset sail we do not allow anyone under the age of 12 years old.
- I've heard about another Schooner Adirondack some place else before. Is this ship related to it?
- The Schooner Adirondack II has a sister ship, the award-winning Schooner Adirondack, in New York City. The Schooner Adirondack also runs chartered sailing tours around the island of Manhattan.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is an area below deck where you may store your belongings. Please keep in mind that this area is not guarded, so we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items. But we have not had any problems with items being left on prior sails.
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sail will end at the same wharf from which it departed.
- Can I get a refund or reschedule my tickets after buying them?
- Because we are guaranteeing your space on the sail, tickets cannot be refunded once purchased. You may, however, reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) provided that you do so at least 24 hours before the scheduled start time for your sail. If you need to reschedule tickets that you already purchased, please contact us at the phone number or email listed on your eticket before this 24 hour deadline. The sail that you will be rescheduling for will not be for more than a week later. You may only reschedule your tickets once.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is cancelled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future event.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- Don't worry, we won't melt! Trips with a little wetness have proven to be some the most memorable bonding experiences for our guests. (This all depends on attitude of course...) If we are caught in a rain shower we have ankle-length button-down raincoats available for all of our guests aboard the Adirondack II.
- Is the Adirondack II wheelchair accessible?
- We regularly accommodate people in wheelchairs on our sails, but please keep in mind the wheelchair cannot wheel directly onto the vessel. In order to get from the dock onto the boat and comfortably into your seat, our staff will need to assist you.
- Are group discounts available?
- Sure! If you purchase 10 or more tickets at once, you'll get $3 off each ticket.
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Yes, private sails on the Schooner Adirondack II can be a unique and elegant event for your group. If you are interested in booking a private sail, please contact us by clicking “Contact SailNewport” to the left of the page.
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this Sail, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above. Also keep in mind that you can redeem your gift certificate in cash value towards any other sail we have!
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Parties of 10 or more will be contacted for an additional gratuity charge of 15%.
- Sailing Excursions, Inc. will contact you directly within 48 hours of your purchase to take your credit card information for the additional charge. You must be reachable at the telephone number and email you provide.
Sailing Excursions, Inc.
The Adirondack II is operated by Coast Guard Certifed Captains and extremely friendly and talented crew. Known for their amazing hospitality, our staff is all professionally trained and experienced on sailing our vessel well and safely. They're also very knowledgeable about all the sights you will enjoy.
Sit back, relax, and enjoy yourself. With wind behind the sails and amazing scenes in front of your eyes, everything is just breezy on the Adirondack II.