Please also note that Pirate Cruises run from late May through the beginning of September. If the date you desire to attend is not yet on the calendar, please check back soon!
Bring the kids to Captain Mayhem's School of Piracy and watch them set the sails, steer the schooner and learn sailor skills!
On this trip:
- The crew will be in pirate costumes!
- Young Pirates will help with raising the sails!
- We will be firing the cannon!
- Children will get themed tattoos!
- Children will have the chance to steer the boat!
- Children will learn how to tie knots, and other sailing skills!
We depart from the Riverwalk Landing Pier in Yorktown.
What Is Not Included?
Also gratuity for the crew is not included.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|penningtonc||Mon, Aug 3 11:00 AM||Unspecified||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My boys had a GREAT time! Learning all about becoming a pirate with Captain Mahem and his rogue crew made a great addition to our family vacation! And dad enjoyed just being out on the open water :)
Very knowledgable staff and friendly to boot! 10/10 experience!
Great fun and beautiful scenery
|thomasgeller||Mon, Aug 3 11:00 AM||Male||70+||Local||Family With Children|
The crew was very personable, funny and informative. Our grandchildren had a wonderful day!!
Knowledgeable and fun staff made the experience
|hbuchinsky||Fri, Jul 31 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Malicious Em taught the kids how to rig the sails and tie up prisoners while captain Mayhem showed them how to man the helm. Great times were had by all :)
great time with grandchild
|Eragilbert||Thu, Jul 30 11:00 AM||Male||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Well organized and entertaining as well as educational.
A nice excursion for the whole entire family
|alysonwente||Thu, Jul 30 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
Our family had a fun time on the ship. It was nice that the crew made everyone involved on what was going on around us no matter if you were 6 yrs old or 60 yrs old. I would recommend this to friends and family they would visit the area.
Lots of fun for kids
|Jgsurdoval||Wed, Jul 29 11:30 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The crew was great with kids and really got them involved.
|Thahoo73||Wed, Jul 29 11:30 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We took our 10 year old grandson on a trip to Jamestown, Williamsburg and Yorktown. This was one of his very favorite things about our trip. The crew was very personable and quick to respond to an emergency when an elderly woman passed out. Even though our trip was shortened, they still shot the cannon for the kids at the dock.
quite an enjoyable outing for family and kids
|CraigHelbok||Sat, Jul 25 11:30 AM||Male||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
This was very enjoyable. Easy to access, lots for the kids to enjoy, just the right length of time on the ship for kids (90min), and the staff were lovely. would easily recommend.
The kids seem bored after a short time
|wind1973||Fri, Jul 24 11:30 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The kids seemed to loose interest shortly after leaving the dock. I realize the cruise has to make money to cover dead times, but our trip appeared to be too crowded for the kids to stay involved.
Pirate cruise was fun
|gwrobertson||Fri, Jul 24 11:30 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
I took my 6 year old grandson on this cruise. He enjoyed learning about the way pirates lived aboard ship 200-300 years ago. The crew was fun and accommodating. Mad Molly was great, and Bloody Ben sat with the kids for a long time teaching knots and talking about a pirate's way of life. Captain Mayhem was okay but one got the feeling that he wasn't into kids, or maybe he was just having a stressful day.
Some interaction between parents and kids might have been fun. All in all, it was a fun 1 1/2 hours.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and sails often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express. You can purchase tickets with cash at the ship on a space available basis.
- Can I pay cash for tickets?
- You can purchase tickets at the ship with cash on a space available basis. If you are buying tickets with cash you should come early to purchase.
- Which schooner will I be on?
- You will set sail on either the Schooner Serenity or the Schooner Alliance. Both vessels offer an amazing sailing experience that will allow you to get a feel for what it was like to be a sailor back in the Age of Sail!
- How long is the sail?
- The total experience is one hour and 30 minutes long.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, check out an afternoon sail instead!
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- Yes, there is free parking at the meeting location. Details will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- Children under 1 year of age can attend for free, but must have a free ticket due to Coast Guard regulations. Children between the ages of 1 and 12 have a special reduced priced ticket!
- Can pregnant women attend the sail?
- Yes! Because we sail in protected waters, the cruise should be moderate and easy for pregnant women. However, if you are in your last trimester, it is always a good idea to consult your doctor before purchasing tickets.
- Can I bring a pet?
- You may be able to bring a small pet if it is well behaved. If you're interested, please click on the "Contact SailYorktown" link and let us know what you'd like to do!
- Is food served during the sails?
- Food and beverages are not included, but a variety of snacks and drinks will be available for purchase on board.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- Personal beverages are not allowed. There will be beverages available for purchase during the sail including soda, water and juice boxes for $1, beer for $3 - $4, and wine for $5 - $7. Bring extra cash and valid ID with you if you'd like to purchase alcoholic beverages on board.
- Are the Schooners safe?
- Absolutely! Both the Serenity and the Alliance are Coast Guard Certified and fully equipped with modern safety equipment.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooners are steady, safe vessels. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick since we stay on the York River in protected waters. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooners, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however!
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- There are men's and women's bathrooms at the head of the dock at our meeting location. Please use the bathrooms before boarding. We do have a head on the ship that is down a very steep ladder.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for any of our sails, we definitely recommend families with children under 12 years of age attend a day sail in the morning or afternoon (this pirate sail is the perfect option!) rather than a sunset sail.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is limited room on board to stow personal belongings. Please do not bring any heavy or large items such as strollers or coolers.
- What should I wear?
- Please wear flat soled shoes and avoid heels or platform shoes. Also bring a jacket in the spring or fall seasons!
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sails will end at the same pier from which they departed.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is cancelled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future event.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- In the event of mild rain, we'll still continue the sail. There is no covering on the boat so you may want to bring a rain jacket. And remember - a little rain never hurt anyone!
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. The crew work very hard to engage your kids and show them a good time. If you've enjoyed your experience, tips for our hardworking crew are greatly appreciated!
- Is the boat handicapped accessible?
- The Alliance can accommodate a small wheelchair. It will need to be carried down 2 steps off the gangway to get on to the deck. The Serenity is unfortunately too small to accommodate a wheelchair.
- Is there an easy way to get there from Williamsburg?
- Yes! There are convenient and frequent shuttles that run between Williamsburg and Yorktown - details will be provided upon purchasing tickets.
- Is there assigned seating on the sails?
- No, seating is first come first served on the day sails. You will be sitting on deck boxes and cabin houses. There are no chairs. This is a real ocean going sailing ship and you will have a real sailing experience!
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Private sails are available on both the Alliance and Serenity. Alliance can carry a maximum of 49 guests. Serenity can carry a maximum of 26 guests and is perfect for a smaller more intimate group! If you're interested in a private charter, please click on the "Contact SailYorktown" link to make a request!
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this cruise, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- Activity usually runs in light rain and moderate weather, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. In the rare situation the seller must cancel the event prior to departure, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive a gift certificate to attend, or receive a refund minus a $2 fee.
Schooners Alliance & Serenity
Their two schooners include the gaff-rigged 105' schooner the Alliance, and the 65' gaff topsail schooner the Serenity. Both boats give you the opportunity to explore the Chesapeake Bay tidewaters!
For those who love history, yearn for romance, or have dreamed of experiencing a true sailing adventure, your ship has just come in!