Please also note that Pirate Cruises run from late May through the beginning of September. If the date you desire to attend is not yet on the calendar, please check back soon!
Bring the kids to Captain Mayhem's School of Piracy and watch them set the sails, steer the schooner and learn sailor skills!
On this trip:
- The crew will be in pirate costumes!
- Young Pirates will help with raising the sails!
- We will be firing the cannon!
- Children will get themed tattoos!
We depart from the Riverwalk Landing Pier in Yorktown.
What Is Not Included?
Also gratuity for the crew is not included.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great choice for everyone!
|HCGraves||Fri, Apr 3 11:30 AM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My husband and I took our two grandchildren -- ages 6 and 9 -- on this adventure. All of us enjoyed the sail and learning about pirating and sailing. The crew interacted in a fun and patient way with the children on board and kept them involved helping.
4 adults and 2 grandkids were thrilled
|juliemwood||Sat, Sep 13, 14 11:30 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We had perfect weather and kids loved participating in raising sails, steering the ship. learning how to tie knots, and touring the ship !! Was just long enough for our 3 and 5 year olds!! Would highly recommend it for families with children !!!
|janetmartin||Sat, Aug 30, 14 11:30 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
I booked a long labor day week end at the York Towne Hotel. I was bringing my grandson and happened to look up the pirate ship adventure. Looked like something, we all would enjoy, and we did!!! Will definetly do it again. I'll bring more people the next time :-}
Beautiful Boat, uninspired crew.
|alangseder||Sat, Aug 30, 14 11:30 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My boys (4 and 6) were very excited to take our pirate adventure and we were even more excited when we arrived at the beautiful Yorktown dock. The boys played on the beach before we boarded and we were all impressed by the schooner. However, our excitement dissapated as the crew began their introductions. They did not seem all too thrilled to be leading our journey and they definitley didn't know how to relate to small children (there were many on this trip). At one point, Captain Mayhem starting telling the children about the "morale fabric" and "ethical backdrop" of our country. Also, there was not much pirtate fun, actually I think my boys were most excited about tying knots and their pirate tatoos, but there was not much education on what pirate or ship life was like, what this particular boat was used for, nor was there any plain old pirate antics. The Captain even seemed to be text messaging at one point. It was disappointing, to say the least. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but at nearly $100 for a family experience, I was indeed expecting more.
|Kristiefoltz||Tue, Aug 26, 14 11:30 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
We had a great time. The crew was wonderful!!! They got all the kids involved and even some adults. They we very enthusiastic and personable. I would recommend this to anyone.
|Dixonc4659||Wed, Aug 20, 14 11:30 AM||Male||70+||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Enjoyed the kids particapation
A BIg Dissappointment
|Moniglan||Tue, Aug 19, 14 11:30 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My sister booked a beautiful sail trip for her and I and my three kids for yesterday morning. I live in the DC area and was able to finally visit with her. Unfortunately, the weather was not cooperative and there was lightning and storms. My sister is disabled and it is difficult for her to get around as it is. This was too risky for her physically and dangerous for myself and the kids. When we called in the morning, your company stated that you were debating whether to cancel the trip due to the weather. We decided to drive to Yorktown and when we called again, you indicated the sail was on at that point even though the weather was not going to make this a good experience and it was actually dangerous. My poor sister was ridiculed and laughed at on the phone for asking for a voucher towards a future date or a refund due to the dangerous weather. It was such an awful experience! Once the woman on the phone looked my sister up in the system and saw that she spent $170, yes $170 on tickets for all of us, she was definitely not going to assist her with rescheduling. She was laughed off the phone. This experience has been disrespectful and so surprising for a company that is in the public service. Thankfully us consumers have the power of review to educate and warn others about awful experiences.
|Heatherhook||Sat, Aug 9, 14 11:30 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
This was a great trip. My normally chatterbox of a 6 yr old was in aww the entire trip! The captain and crew were dressed authentically, behaved authentically and could not have been more patient with the kids.
It was great adventures and fun.
|tinam40||Fri, Aug 8, 14 11:30 AM||Female||Unspecified||Local||Family With Children|
this was something different to do. Family friendly.
Don't miss out!!
|claohpa||Fri, Aug 8, 14 11:30 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
What a wonderful adventure for children of all ages. Although we had no young'uns of our own, it was a pleasure to see the interaction of the crew and the children. They were able to assist in hoisting the sails, steer the boat, and learn some of the jobs of a pirate. An added bonus was to see several dolphins during the cruise. This is a MUST DO in the Triangle of History region.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and sails often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express. You can purchase tickets with cash at the ship on a space available basis.
- Can I pay cash for tickets?
- You can purchase tickets at the ship with cash on a space available basis. If you are buying tickets with cash you should come early to purchase.
- Which schooner will I be on?
- You will set sail on either the Schooner Serenity or the Schooner Alliance. Both vessels offer an amazing sailing experience that will allow you to get a feel for what it was like to be a sailor back in the Age of Sail!
- How long is the sail?
- The total experience is one hour and 30 minutes long.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, check out an afternoon sail instead!
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- Yes, there is free parking at the meeting location. Details will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- Children under 1 year of age can attend for free, but must have a free ticket due to Coast Guard regulations. Children between the ages of 1 and 12 have a special reduced priced ticket!
- Can pregnant women attend the sail?
- Yes! Because we sail in protected waters, the cruise should be moderate and easy for pregnant women. However, if you are in your last trimester, it is always a good idea to consult your doctor before purchasing tickets.
- Can I bring a pet?
- You may be able to bring a small pet if it is well behaved. If you're interested, please click on the "Contact SailYorktown" link and let us know what you'd like to do!
- Is food served during the sails?
- Food and beverages are not included, but a variety of snacks and drinks will be available for purchase on board.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- Personal beverages are not allowed. There will be beverages available for purchase during the sail including soda, water and juice boxes for $1, beer for $3 - $4, and wine for $5 - $7. Bring extra cash and valid ID with you if you'd like to purchase alcoholic beverages on board.
- Are the Schooners safe?
- Absolutely! Both the Serenity and the Alliance are Coast Guard Certified and fully equipped with modern safety equipment.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooners are steady, safe vessels. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick since we stay on the York River in protected waters. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooners, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however!
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- There are men's and women's bathrooms at the head of the dock at our meeting location. Please use the bathrooms before boarding. We do have a head on the ship that is down a very steep ladder.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for any of our sails, we definitely recommend families with children under 12 years of age attend a day sail in the morning or afternoon (this pirate sail is the perfect option!) rather than a sunset sail.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is limited room on board to stow personal belongings. Please do not bring any heavy or large items such as strollers or coolers.
- What should I wear?
- Please wear flat soled shoes and avoid heels or platform shoes. Also bring a jacket in the spring or fall seasons!
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sails will end at the same pier from which they departed.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is cancelled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future event.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- In the event of mild rain, we'll still continue the sail. There is no covering on the boat so you may want to bring a rain jacket. And remember - a little rain never hurt anyone!
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. The crew work very hard to engage your kids and show them a good time. If you've enjoyed your experience, tips for our hardworking crew are greatly appreciated!
- Is the boat handicapped accessible?
- The Alliance can accommodate a small wheelchair. It will need to be carried down 2 steps off the gangway to get on to the deck. The Serenity is unfortunately too small to accommodate a wheelchair.
- Is there an easy way to get there from Williamsburg?
- Yes! There are convenient and frequent shuttles that run between Williamsburg and Yorktown - details will be provided upon purchasing tickets.
- Is there assigned seating on the sails?
- No, seating is first come first served on the day sails. You will be sitting on deck boxes and cabin houses. There are no chairs. This is a real ocean going sailing ship and you will have a real sailing experience!
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Private sails are available on both the Alliance and Serenity. Alliance can carry a maximum of 49 guests. Serenity can carry a maximum of 26 guests and is perfect for a smaller more intimate group! If you're interested in a private charter, please click on the "Contact SailYorktown" link to make a request!
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this cruise, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
Schooners Alliance & Serenity
Their two schooners include the gaff-rigged 105' schooner the Alliance, and the 65' gaff topsail schooner the Serenity. Both boats give you the opportunity to explore the Chesapeake Bay tidewaters!
For those who love history, yearn for romance, or have dreamed of experiencing a true sailing adventure, your ship has just come in!