Please also note that Pirate Cruises run from late May through the beginning of September. If the date you desire to attend is not yet on the calendar, please check back soon!
Bring the kids to Captain Mayhem's School of Piracy and watch them set the sails, steer the schooner and learn sailor skills!
On this trip:
- The crew will be in pirate costumes!
- Young Pirates will help with raising the sails!
- We will be firing the cannon!
- Children will get themed tattoos!
- Children will have the chance to steer the boat!
- Children will learn how to tie knots, and other sailing skills!
We depart from the Riverwalk Landing Pier in Yorktown.
What Is Not Included?
Also gratuity for the crew is not included.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Delightful evening sail
|Betsyeb||Sat, Sep 12 11:30 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Given a gift certificate for the tour, we picked a Sept. evening, after the peak tourist season. We were totally pleased with event. Being from Richmond, we were familiar with the history of Yorktown, but we were delighted to learn more. The tour made such an impression that we brought our grandchildren the next week for the pirate tour! Never had we seen the Coleman Bridge open, let alone be in a boat to truly appreciate the magnitude of it!!
A great time was had for both sails! This should not be missed!!!
Overall good time.
|Pepkrazen||Sat, Sep 5 11:30 AM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
I chose this, because I had never been on the Alliance in the 6 years I have been in the area. I enjoyed my time overall. I like that they got the crew and the kids interacting is setting sail. The only thing that concerned me was a slight lack of safety.
Being in the Coast Guard myself, there was a great pre-brief if you were within hearing it. Then while setting the sails they allowed kids to help hoist the main sail, which was great. The whole time I was cleaning the deck up because kids were slipping on all the line on the deck. Then after the mail sail was hoisted they left te line on the deck, and even a crew member tripped over the line. That is when she decided to clean the deck up.
The quartermaster was really quiet an didn't draw anyone in prior to shooting off the cannon. He just started talking and I was sitting next to him, and didn't realize that he was talking.
As I said an over all great time. They allowed people to drive the boat, hoist sales, and most of the crew had a possitive attitude.
I would recommend it. I really would.
|Longlindaj||Tue, Sep 1 11:30 AM||Unspecified||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
It was a wonderful experience for everyone aboard. Captain Mayhem, Alex & Emily were knowledgeable, informative and hilarious. My 9 yr old nephew had almost as much fun as I did.
It was an interesting and relaxing sailing!
|AmandaPeng||Mon, Aug 31 11:30 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The crew are very knowledgable and friendly. My son is 14 and my daughter is 7. Both of them are having fun. My parents, my husband and I also had a great time!
Fun educational tour for the kids
|ericjoan||Sat, Aug 29 11:30 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
My family enjoyed the 1.5 hour tour. This is a kid focused event. My 11 and 8 year old learned quite a bit during the tour and had the opportunity to raise the sails and steer the ship. Definitely an experience they will remember. The crew was excellent and took their time explaining various jobs on the ship and how sailors and pirates lived. Highly recommend for families with pre-teen kids.
A great time with lots of fun information
|waltere||Sat, Aug 29 11:30 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
A great time and the pirates were very good with the children. The information was presented in a way that the kids were able to understand and the hands on was as much fun for the adults as for the kids.
very enjoyable day
|betski605||Fri, Aug 28 11:30 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Other|
I took my two grandkids (12 and 11) on the pirate cruise. Even though they seemed very quiet on the cruise they said they really enjoyed the experience. While we were sailing along we had dolphins swimming along side of the ship and the kids really got excited then. The crew was great and explained a lot on how the pirates lived.
Great for kids...
|rupertb||Wed, Aug 26 11:30 AM||Male||Under 20||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The children had a lot of fun steering the ship and hauling on the rope to hoist the sails. We did expect some refreshments but none appeared (except ships biscuit!)
PERFECT CELEBRATION FOR MY GRANDSON'S 4TH BIRTHDAY
|CarolSimmons||Sat, Aug 22 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
My grandson is all about pirates and when we were visiting Yorktown beach this summer I found out that one of the big sail ships is for pirate excursions. I was SO very glad I purchased our tickets ahead of time as the ship was full. I made the trip a little more festive for my family by having the children wear pirate costumes and the adults wore something relating to a pirate. This is a very interactive experience. The "pirates" did a fantastic job including those on board in the activities of running the ship which was very educational. The amount of time was perfect. I highly recommend this as a family activity. The of course we headed off for a great lunch afterwards at the Riverwalk Restaurant.
Great for kids
|tazimm123||Sat, Aug 22 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Combination||Family With Children|
All of the children really seemed to enjoy it.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and sails often sell out. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express. You can purchase tickets with cash at the ship on a space available basis.
- Can I pay cash for tickets?
- You can purchase tickets at the ship with cash on a space available basis. If you are buying tickets with cash you should come early to purchase.
- Which schooner will I be on?
- You will set sail on either the Schooner Serenity or the Schooner Alliance. Both vessels offer an amazing sailing experience that will allow you to get a feel for what it was like to be a sailor back in the Age of Sail!
- How long is the sail?
- The total experience is one hour and 30 minutes long.
- What happens if the sail is sold out?
- Unfortunately, we do not have a wait list for our sails, so please book well in advance. However, if you find the sail you are looking for is full, check out an afternoon sail instead!
- Is there parking and how much is it?
- Yes, there is free parking at the meeting location. Details will be provided upon purchasing your tickets.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- Children under 1 year of age can attend for free, but must have a free ticket due to Coast Guard regulations. Children between the ages of 1 and 12 have a special reduced priced ticket!
- Can pregnant women attend the sail?
- Yes! Because we sail in protected waters, the cruise should be moderate and easy for pregnant women. However, if you are in your last trimester, it is always a good idea to consult your doctor before purchasing tickets.
- Can I bring a pet?
- You may be able to bring a small pet if it is well behaved. If you're interested, please click on the "Contact SailYorktown" link and let us know what you'd like to do!
- Is food served during the sails?
- Food and beverages are not included, but a variety of snacks and drinks will be available for purchase on board.
- How about drinks? Should I bring those?
- Personal beverages are not allowed. There will be beverages available for purchase during the sail including soda, water and juice boxes for $1, beer for $3 - $4, and wine for $5 - $7. Bring extra cash and valid ID with you if you'd like to purchase alcoholic beverages on board.
- Are the Schooners safe?
- Absolutely! Both the Serenity and the Alliance are Coast Guard Certified and fully equipped with modern safety equipment.
- How steady is the sailing? Am I likely to get seasick?
- The Schooners are steady, safe vessels. It is very rare for our guests to become seasick since we stay on the York River in protected waters. While most people do not experience any sea sickness on the schooners, you may want to consider light medication if you normally take it for motion sickness. We cannot officially advise you to take any medication, however!
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- There are men's and women's bathrooms at the head of the dock at our meeting location. Please use the bathrooms before boarding. We do have a head on the ship that is down a very steep ladder.
- Is there an age limit for these sails?
- While there is no age limit for any of our sails, we definitely recommend families with children under 12 years of age attend a day sail in the morning or afternoon (this pirate sail is the perfect option!) rather than a sunset sail.
- Can I stow anything (eg, my briefcase) during the sail?
- There is limited room on board to stow personal belongings. Please do not bring any heavy or large items such as strollers or coolers.
- What should I wear?
- Please wear flat soled shoes and avoid heels or platform shoes. Also bring a jacket in the spring or fall seasons!
- Where does the sail finish?
- Our sails will end at the same pier from which they departed.
- Do you ever cancel sails due to bad weather?
- The sail usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather situations. The only time we cancel a trip is in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. Our captains monitor the radar to watch fronts and cells in the area on days when inclement weather is possible. Cancellations are made on the day of the sail, by the Captain, up to 1 hour prior to sail time. If you have purchased tickets for a sail that is cancelled, you will have the opportunity to to reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit towards a future event.
- What happens if it starts raining when we're out on our sail?
- In the event of mild rain, we'll still continue the sail. There is no covering on the boat so you may want to bring a rain jacket. And remember - a little rain never hurt anyone!
- Is gratuity included in the price of the sail?
- Gratuity is not included in the price of the sail. The crew work very hard to engage your kids and show them a good time. If you've enjoyed your experience, tips for our hardworking crew are greatly appreciated!
- Is the boat handicapped accessible?
- The Alliance can accommodate a small wheelchair. It will need to be carried down 2 steps off the gangway to get on to the deck. The Serenity is unfortunately too small to accommodate a wheelchair.
- Is there an easy way to get there from Williamsburg?
- Yes! There are convenient and frequent shuttles that run between Williamsburg and Yorktown - details will be provided upon purchasing tickets.
- Is there assigned seating on the sails?
- No, seating is first come first served on the day sails. You will be sitting on deck boxes and cabin houses. There are no chairs. This is a real ocean going sailing ship and you will have a real sailing experience!
- Can I book a private charter sail?
- Private sails are available on both the Alliance and Serenity. Alliance can carry a maximum of 49 guests. Serenity can carry a maximum of 26 guests and is perfect for a smaller more intimate group! If you're interested in a private charter, please click on the "Contact SailYorktown" link to make a request!
- Are gift certificates available for this sail?
- Yes, gift certificates are available and they make a perfect gift for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate for this cruise, please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- Activity usually runs in light rain and moderate weather, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. In the rare situation the seller must cancel the event prior to departure, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability), receive a gift certificate to attend, or receive a refund minus a $2 fee per ticket.
Schooners Alliance & Serenity
Their two schooners include the gaff-rigged 105' schooner the Alliance, and the 65' gaff topsail schooner the Serenity. Both boats give you the opportunity to explore the Chesapeake Bay tidewaters!
For those who love history, yearn for romance, or have dreamed of experiencing a true sailing adventure, your ship has just come in!