Climb aboard the Palmetto, our 45ft catamaran, versatile enough to venture down secluded creeks and handle the harbor's waters smoothly. With a capacity of only 49 passengers, everyone will experience a personalized atmosphere.
*Please note, if less than 10 people booked on tour smaller boat may be taken out*
Feel the cool breeze of the Charleston Harbor as you hear bone-chilling tales all about:
- The Hanging of Stede Bonnet, “The Gentleman Pirate”
- Tragic deaths and the lost fortunes left behind
- Soldiers and fishermen lost to the dark waves of the Harbor
- Ships that appear as a warning to seafarers
- The Holy City’s long history of bloody wars and devastating storms
Under the cover of darkness, you never know what might be lurking, and after a few ghostly reminders, you won’t feel quite so alone on the peaceful waters.
We’ll make sure you will never see this seaport the same way again!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great boat tour with stories
|Jeffrud29||Tue, Apr 21 7:00 PM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
By itself, the boat tour would be fantastic just to see Charleston, enjoy the sunset, and get a glimpse of nature. We saw several dolphins on the cruise which was a big bonus. The stories told over the course of the tour also give you some history behind several things you see. They are the kind of "underbelly of the city" stories you really are looking to hear when you travel to any place. Not too spooky, but fun.
|Jhackett14||Sat, Mar 28 8:30 PM||Unspecified||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
The ghost tour was very entertaining and the guide did a great job with the tour.
|FSUSoldier21||Sat, Mar 21 8:30 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Awesome ghost stories. It was neat experiencing it from the catamaran. Ed Macy(story teller) made it worth our time and money.
Glad we went
|myralouise||Fri, Oct 24, 14 7:00 PM||Unspecified||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We didn't have time to do everything we wanted on our trip. So for us the night cruise made sense. Plus it was nice to see the town litup at night. Our guide was very knowledgeable and gave us a bit of history of the area along with several interesting pirate and ghost stories. I enjoyed letting my imagination fill in what could not be seen.
Fun and entertaining
|jcook1||Fri, Oct 17, 14 7:00 PM||Male||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Good fun, great stories, and beautiful scenery.
Great night and great tour!
|frazdan||Mon, Oct 13, 14 7:00 PM||Male||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
Went on haunted tour in middle of October. The stories were true, which made them more interesting than if they were made up for the sake of being "scary". Charleston is just as gorgeous looking in from the middle of the harbor! Storyteller and boat captain were wonderful, friendly and knowledgeable. Everyone should do a tour at least once!
|Golferoxus||Sat, Sep 27, 14 8:00 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
Tour guide was excellent and very knowledgeable. Highly recommend to anyone!
Breathtaking sunset views of Charleston.
|CHerms||Mon, Sep 1, 14 7:00 PM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
A beautiful evening with breathtaking views of Charleston at sunset. Friendly and entertaining crew. This was the second year we have done this and it's now one of the highlights of our vacation. Love it!
Great way to spend an evening in Charleston
|Dramaqn7||Sat, Aug 16, 14 9:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
On a first trip to Charleston with my mother, grandmother, and younger (college-age) sister, I was looking for something to do in town that would be interesting and entertaining--without too much walking for my elderly grandmother. This tour was perfect. The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating in helping my grandmother on and off the boat, and the tour guide is extremely knowledgeable, friendly, and entertaining. At the end, the captain of the boat even took us for a little joy ride before parking again at the dock. Highly recommended for anyone looking for something fun to do in Charleston for an evening!
|biggiesgirl||Fri, Aug 15, 14 9:00 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Loved it. Great historical perspective with some ghost stories mixed in.
- Is this tour suitable for children?
- You know your children best! Although we do tell a few ghostly stories along the way and the cruise does take place in the dark, we do not enter any haunted places or create an atmosphere that would frighten young children. However, we do ask that you do not bring children ages 3 or younger with you, as the content may frighten infants.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and cruises often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Why does the schedule only list events running in the next couple of weeks?
- The Sandlapper is a very popular choice for private charter sailing. We therefore only open the boat to public sails a few weeks in advance. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back at this website frequently for updates, or contact Sandlapper Tours by clicking the "Contact Sandlapper" link. New events and sail times are added quite frequently, especially as the sail date draws near.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- For children between the ages of 4 and 12, you can purchase a reduced price Child ticket. We ask that you do not bring children ages 3 and younger with you on the cruise, as the content of the tour may frighten infants. If you would like to attend with your infant, check out our other cruises!
- What exactly do we see on the tour?
- On this one of a kind tour, you'll experience a scenic cruise all around the Charleston Harbor and see sites of famous ghost stories and other historically significant landmarks. The cruise takes place in the dark, which adds to the ghostly atmosphere. You'll be able to see the Charleston skyline, churches, and bridges lit up for the night.
- Are drinks or food served on the tour?
- Beer, soft drinks, and bottled water, as well as a full snack bar are available for purchase on board.
- Can I bring my own food or drinks on the tour?
- While you are allowed to bring a sandwich or a small boxed lunch, we ask that you refrain from bringing your own drinks. A full array of beverages and snacks is available for sale on board.
- What happens if it rains?
- Your captain and crew watch the weather forecasts closely and want to ensure your tour is a safe, enjoyable, memorable experience. In the event the current or forecasted conditions get in the way of that happening, requiring us to cancel, we will contact you as soon as possible to join us at another date/time.
- Does the tour include any stops?
- No, we will be on the water, cruising the entire time. If you would like to explore the areas that we pass on the tour, just ask your guide or captain. They'll be happy to point you in the right direction after the cruise.
- Are there restrooms on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. It involves pumping and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- What should I wear?
- We recommend that you dress appropriately for the weather. It can often be a few degrees cooler out on the water in spring and fall. Also flat-soled, closed toed shoes are a good idea.
- Can I stow anything during the tour?
- You can bring any items that you would like to enjoy on the tour, but we do have limited storage space, so please try to keep large items to a minimum. Please keep in mind that while the captain will always be on board, we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items.
- Where does the tour finish?
- Our tour will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- Is the Palmetto safe?
- Your safety is our number one priority. The Palmetto is a stable, gentle vessel run by USCG certified Captains. We provide life jackets for every passenger on board and our crew is there to help you in any way.
- Will I get seasick?
- Passengers usually find the Sandlapper to be a very steady vessel. However, you can choose to take something in advance if you're prone to motion sickness.
- Are gift certificates available for the trip?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Sandlapper trips are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact Sandlapper" link.
- Can I book a private charter?
- Yes! In addition to our public tours, Sandlapper Tours also offers group and private charters. We can make your wedding party or reception, or birthday party even more memorable with an oyster roast or crab boil on a barrier island. For more information, please click on the "Contact Sandlapper" link.
- Does the Palmetto have handicapped/wheelchair accessibility?
- The Palmetto’s handicapped/wheelchair accessibility is somewhat limited. There are 4-5 wide, sturdy steps to board the Palmetto, but once on board there is plenty of space. Family or friends in your group would just need to provide some assistance with boarding, to account for the steps. If you do have any questions or concerns, please click on the “Contact Sandlapper” link to inquire.
- Are you allowed to bring dogs on the tour?
- No. Unfortunately no dogs are allowed on the boat.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Not suitable for children ages 3 and younger.
- Because this tour takes place in the dark, infants ages 3 and younger are not permitted aboard the cruise.
Sandlapper Tours, Inc.
The goal of Sandlapper Tours is to provide quality, guide narrated tours of the Harbor. Locally owned and operated, Sandlapper is dedicated to outstanding customer service and giving guests the most entertaining and educational experience.