Climb aboard the Palmetto, our 45ft catamaran, versatile enough to venture down secluded creeks and handle the harbor's waters smoothly. With a capacity of only 49 passengers, everyone will experience a personalized atmosphere.
*Please note, if less than 10 people booked on tour smaller boat may be taken out*
Feel the cool breeze of the Charleston Harbor as you hear bone-chilling tales all about:
- The Hanging of Stede Bonnet, “The Gentleman Pirate”
- Tragic deaths and the lost fortunes left behind
- Soldiers and fishermen lost to the dark waves of the Harbor
- Ships that appear as a warning to seafarers
- The Holy City’s long history of bloody wars and devastating storms
Under the cover of darkness, you never know what might be lurking, and after a few ghostly reminders, you won’t feel quite so alone on the peaceful waters.
We’ll make sure you will never see this seaport the same way again!
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|AAshare12||Wed, Jul 22 9:15 PM||Female||20-29||Unspecified||Unspecified|
I loved the pleasant ride in the habor as well as they ghost stories.
|Louise05||Mon, Jul 20 8:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
While we enjoyed the evening boat ride on the harbor, the trip was disappointing. It could be that we expected a livable ghost tour and instead participated in listening to a boring history lesson. Our tour guide was not very good and while he did know the stories, was poor articulating to the group.
|jonbob30||Sat, Jul 18 9:15 PM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
My wife and I were in Charleston for our anniversary and decided to take this tour because we have previously done ghost tours by carriage and wanted a change of pace. We really did this tour for the opportunity to see the harbor at night and enjoy being on the water. The view as you go under the Ravenel bridge is pretty impressive. I would not call this a scary trip so much as informative and historical. The guide is Ed Macy and he has written three books about ghosts in and around Charleston. He is incredibly knowledgeable about Charleston and is a VERY entertaining guide. His commentary really made the trip. The ride is about 90 minutes long and they sell beer, water, soft drinks, and snacks. I would definitely do this trip again and recommend it to others.
Fun & Friendly
|djesselarsen||Fri, Jul 17 9:15 PM||Male||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
I liked the ghost pictures and the knowledge of the Narrator. Would recommend for anyone as it mixes a sunset cruise with a ghost tour.
informative and beautiful scenery
|jenny24153||Mon, Jul 13 8:00 PM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
There were 7 of us on the ghost tour- we all had a great time! The trip was relaxing, the tour guide was knowledgeable and backed up the stories with photographs. The ghost tour went from sunset into darkness and the Charleston coastline is beautiful at that time of day. We are taking another tour before we leave. Highly recommended!
Fun relaxing tour
|leekep||Thu, Jul 9 9:15 PM||Male||20-29||Local||Other|
We had a mixed group of local coworkers and coworkers from around the globe. We didn't want to take a walking ghost tour in the heat, so we decided to take the boat ghost tour. It was a very pleasant experience. There was a nice breeze, and the stories were told very well. My coworkers were very pleased with the experience and the host was nice enough to take a picture of all of us after the tour.
|timstpleton||Wed, Jul 8 9:15 PM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Interesting and fun
|teresab715||Wed, Jun 24 9:15 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
The haunted tour and information was extremely interesting. Add the sights of Charleston at night and this is one of the best deals available.
|jatkwilliams||Wed, Jun 24 9:15 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Couple on a Date|
I have taken a variety of tours in Charleston area and this was my least favorite. The storyteller was boring. He was suppose to run the bar and tell stories at same time. He talked the entire time and only a couple of folks were able to access the bar. You should have had another person working on the boat besides the captain and storyteller. I was stuck in spot in which I had to sit sideways so I was uncomfortable throughout the trip - seemed like you had a few too many on the boat.
|susieqrednek||Fri, Jun 19 9:15 PM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We had a great time on this harbor tour. The guide seemed knowledgable about the history of Charleston. I wouldn't say it was scary so much as it was interesting, but others that are more into believing about ghosts may be more creeped out by the stories than me.
Really enjoyed it and would recommend to others.
- Is this tour suitable for children?
- You know your children best! Although we do tell a few ghostly stories along the way and the cruise does take place in the dark, we do not enter any haunted places or create an atmosphere that would frighten young children. However, we do ask that you do not bring children ages 3 or younger with you, as the content may frighten infants.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and cruises often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Why does the schedule only list events running in the next couple of weeks?
- The Sandlapper is a very popular choice for private charter sailing. We therefore only open the boat to public sails a few weeks in advance. If the date you are looking for is not currently listed in the schedule, please check back at this website frequently for updates, or contact Sandlapper Tours by clicking the "Contact Sandlapper" link. New events and sail times are added quite frequently, especially as the sail date draws near.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a very young child?
- For children between the ages of 4 and 12, you can purchase a reduced price Child ticket. We ask that you do not bring children ages 3 and younger with you on the cruise, as the content of the tour may frighten infants. If you would like to attend with your infant, check out our other cruises!
- What exactly do we see on the tour?
- On this one of a kind tour, you'll experience a scenic cruise all around the Charleston Harbor and see sites of famous ghost stories and other historically significant landmarks. The cruise takes place in the dark, which adds to the ghostly atmosphere. You'll be able to see the Charleston skyline, churches, and bridges lit up for the night.
- Are drinks or food served on the tour?
- Beer, soft drinks, and bottled water, as well as a full snack bar are available for purchase on board.
- Can I bring my own food or drinks on the tour?
- While you are allowed to bring a sandwich or a small boxed lunch, we ask that you refrain from bringing your own drinks. A full array of beverages and snacks is available for sale on board.
- What happens if it rains?
- Your captain and crew watch the weather forecasts closely and want to ensure your tour is a safe, enjoyable, memorable experience. In the event the current or forecasted conditions get in the way of that happening, requiring us to cancel, we will contact you as soon as possible to join us at another date/time.
- Does the tour include any stops?
- No, we will be on the water, cruising the entire time. If you would like to explore the areas that we pass on the tour, just ask your guide or captain. They'll be happy to point you in the right direction after the cruise.
- Are there restrooms on the boat?
- Yes, the boat is equipped with a bathroom that is accessible at all times. We call it a "marine head" and it is unlike the bathroom you use at home. It involves pumping and there are simple directions posted in the bathroom on how to use it.
- What should I wear?
- We recommend that you dress appropriately for the weather. It can often be a few degrees cooler out on the water in spring and fall. Also flat-soled, closed toed shoes are a good idea.
- Can I stow anything during the tour?
- You can bring any items that you would like to enjoy on the tour, but we do have limited storage space, so please try to keep large items to a minimum. Please keep in mind that while the captain will always be on board, we cannot take responsibility for any broken, lost or missing items.
- Where does the tour finish?
- Our tour will end at the same pier from which it departed.
- Is the Palmetto safe?
- Your safety is our number one priority. The Palmetto is a stable, gentle vessel run by USCG certified Captains. We provide life jackets for every passenger on board and our crew is there to help you in any way.
- Will I get seasick?
- Passengers usually find the Sandlapper to be a very steady vessel. However, you can choose to take something in advance if you're prone to motion sickness.
- Are gift certificates available for the trip?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Sandlapper trips are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact Sandlapper" link.
- Can I book a private charter?
- Yes! In addition to our public tours, Sandlapper Tours also offers group and private charters. We can make your wedding party or reception, or birthday party even more memorable with an oyster roast or crab boil on a barrier island. For more information, please click on the "Contact Sandlapper" link.
- Does the Palmetto have handicapped/wheelchair accessibility?
- The Palmetto’s handicapped/wheelchair accessibility is somewhat limited. There are 4-5 wide, sturdy steps to board the Palmetto, but once on board there is plenty of space. Family or friends in your group would just need to provide some assistance with boarding, to account for the steps. If you do have any questions or concerns, please click on the “Contact Sandlapper” link to inquire.
- Are you allowed to bring dogs on the tour?
- No. Unfortunately no dogs are allowed on the boat.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Not suitable for children ages 3 and younger.
- Because this tour takes place in the dark, infants ages 3 and younger are not permitted aboard the cruise.
Sandlapper Tours, Inc.
The goal of Sandlapper Tours is to provide quality, guide narrated tours of the Harbor. Locally owned and operated, Sandlapper is dedicated to outstanding customer service and giving guests the most entertaining and educational experience.