Come down to the beach to develop your skills in the waves!
Think you’re ready to graduate to the big leagues? Learn to safely control and manuvuer your kayak in breaking surf during the Surfzone instruction class!
During this 4 hour class, get some tips regarding:
- Launching technique
- Landing technique
- Bracing yourself in the waves (your best friend in the surf!)
- And so much more!
Your kayak and gear are provided. You will need a helmet (SKC has a limited number of helmets to loan out). Feel free to bring drinking water and snacks.
What Is Not Included?
- Water and snacks -- both available for purchase and you are welcome to bring your own
- Make sure to bring water shoes, sandals or old tennis shoes. Shoes are available for purchase at our shop as well.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is required. To maximize the chance of getting the day and times you prefer, book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased online or by phone with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Are children allowed?
- Normally children need to be able to sit in a kayak and paddle, so usually about 12 years old. To schedule a custom class for your family please click on the "Contact SeaKayakSC" link on the left side of this page for more information.
- What happens if it rains?
- Most tours will run in light rain and moderate weather conditions. In the event that we have to cancel a tour due to severe or unsafe weather conditions, you will be able to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future tour.
- Do I need to know how to swim?
- No, we will be wearing Personal Floatation Devices at all times when on the water.
- Do I need to have already learned to kayak before taking this class?
- You don't need to be an expert, but having a couple of outings under your belt is helpful. Our kayaks are beginner friendly and our instructors are great teachers!
- Are the classes suitable for pregnant women?
- Yes, during the early months as long as you are fit. During the later months, it is probably best to stay on the shore!
- Do we have the choice of using single or tandem kayaks?
- No, this class is designed for paddlers to be in single kayaks.
- What types of kayaks will we use?
- Our kayaks are cockpit style touring sea kayaks and accommodate the novice paddler comfortably.
- Do I need to sign a liability waiver?
- Yes, all participants must sign a liability waiver before the tour. Any participants under the age of 18 must have an accompanying adult sign the waiver for them.
- Do I have to wear a life vest?
- Yes, it's not only required, it's also a good idea!
- Are there any weight restrictions?
- We can accommodate individuals up to approximately 250-275 lbs. A moderate fitness level is important, as you will be paddling.
- Can I bring my own kayak?
- If you would like to use your own kayak, please contact Sea Kayak Carolina first to make sure it meets our requirements for the class.
- What should I wear?
- We recommend that you dress comfortably and wear paddle appropriate clothing – that is, something you can get wet in (preferably not cotton). You may want to bring a change of clothes for after your paddle. In the colder months, we suggest synthetic layers so that you can adjust according to the weather. We ask that you bring your own water shoes, sandals or old tennis shoes (your feet will get wet). We do not recommend flip flops because you need to have protection on your feet while in and around the water. We also have inexpensive water shoes available for purchase.
- Are food and drinks included?
- While food and drinks are not included in the ticket price, you may bring a snack. We also recommend bringing a bottle of water.
- Are kayak rentals available?
- Yes, if you are interested in a more independent adventure, we do have kayak rentals available. Please click "Contact SeaKayakSC" on the left of this page to get more details.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! To inquire about purchasing a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact SeaKayakSC" link on the left side of this page.
- Are private classes available?
- Yes! Please click on the "Contact SeaKayakSC" link on the left of this page to inquire further.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Everyone must sign a liability waiver.
- All participants must sign a liability waiver before the tour. Any participants under the age of 18 must have an accompanying adult sign the waiver for them.
Sea Kayak Carolina
The shop offers fun, relaxing and beginner friendly tours daily in the nearby Folly River. Join an experienced guide while watching the dolphin play in the natural beauty that is the South Carolina Lowcountry.
As part of their desire to promote kayaking the shop also offers kayak instruction to paddlers of all levels. They offer everything from basic beginners kayak classes to open water instruction.
Sea Kayak Carolina is also the premier kayak store in South Carolina. They carry a full line of quality kayaks and the gear needed to paddle them.
If it happens in a kayak -- Sea Kayak Carolina can help!