Entering the burned city from the river just below Libby Prison, Lincoln, his son Tad, and a small entourage made their way up from the docks to Shockoe Hill. Lincoln and his son walked through the decimated city amidst huge joyous crowds who followed them to the White House of the Confederacy and later onto the Capitol building.
Along the way, you'll also learn about the President's dangerous trip up the James River from Petersburg and how he avoided all the mines still in the river.
Some of the famous sites you'll see include:
- The Libby Prison, a notorious prison for union officers
- Shockoe Hill
- The "White House of the Confederacy"
- The Capitol Building of Richmond
- The James River
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as tours often sell out quickly. To maximize your chance of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. You can do this online or over the phone using only Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Where does the tour end?
- The last stop on the tour will be the Capitol Square building, which is the last place Lincoln went on his walk. At the end of the tour, we will bring you back to the original meeting location.
- How old to I need to be to ride a segway? Is there a minimum or maximum in terms of weight limit or height?
- You need to be at least 14 years old and at least 5 feet tall. The minimum weight is 90 pounds and the maximum weight is 275 pounds.
- How should I come dressed?
- You should wear enclosed, flat shoes and anything that is comfortable such as shorts and tennis shoes.
- How early do I need to be there before my scheduled tour?
- We ask that you come 20-30 minutes early.
- What happens if it rains?
- In light rain and other light weather conditions we will still go out - remember to dress appropriately for the weather. In the event of severe weather, you can either reschedule or receive a voucher for any future tour date.
- Do I need to wear a helmet? Can I bring my own?
- Yes on both fronts! You do need to wear a helmet, but you can indeed bring your own.
- What happens if I get lost and I can't find the start location?
- Please call our store ASAP. The number will be in the confirmation email you receive when you purchase your tickets, as well as on your the e-ticket.
- I am a Richmond native - will I enjoy this tour?
- Though you may have seen the sights before, you will still enjoy the unique experience of gliding around Richmond on a Segway and seeing it all from a different perspective.
- Can I buy food or drinks along the way? What about souvenirs?
- Unfortunately, the tour is structured so that we can visit a large amount of Richmond's landmarks, which leaves very little time for any other stops. We recommend you arrive full, as you can only bring necessary items on the Segway. You will be able to buy souvenirs at the beginning or end of the tour at our meeting spot. Also, we would like to encourage you to visit our store and souvenir shop with us!
- How much of the tour is actually spent on a Segway?
- The majority of your time will be on the Segway. We will start off with a short training session and then be on the Segway for the remainder of the time. There are no stops unless the tour group would like to stop and rest or take pictures.
- Will we stop to take photos and go inside the sites listed for the tour?
- While we can stop at some of the locations to take in the views and snap some photos, there isn't enough time on the tour to go into any of the sites--there is too much ground to be covered!
- Do Segways have the ability to store bags, purses?
- We have the ability to transport necessary items i.e. cameras, medications etc. All other personal belongings will be kept in the meeting location. Segway of Richmond is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, the tours are only conducted in English. However, our non-English speaking guests will still enjoy the experience of riding a Segway and seeing the historical and cultural attractions of Richmond.
- Are restrooms available?
- Yes, restrooms are available at the meeting location. But there are no easily accessible restroom stops along the tour route. If you should need to stop, please let us know and we will try to accommodate you.
- How do I learn to ride a Segway PT?
- All customers are required to take a 15 minute hands-on training session to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience. Riders are trained on Segway PT operation and emergency stops. All riders are required to wear a safety helmet.
- How does the Segway PT work?
- The Segway internal technology consists of intelligent network of sensors, mechanical assemblies, and control systems that balance and move you on two wheels. The second you step on, five gyroscopes and two accelerometers sense the changing terrain and monitor a riders center of gravity at about 100 times a second. When the rider leans slightly forward, the PT moves forward. When the rider leans slightly back, the Segway PT moves backward.
- How safe is a Segway PT?
- The utmost care and research has gone into ensuring that the Segway PT is safe. The Segway PT's balancing technology is truly revolutionary and provides an exceptional riding experience. The Segway PT has multiple redundant subsystems and sophisticated alerts built into its design, and is subjected to millions of cycles of testing to ensure the highest quality, reliability, and durability. Many thousands of hours of use have demonstrated that the Segway PT is safe when used appropriately. It is important that Segway PT riders understand their responsibility to ride safely. Proper skill level and understanding of the Segway PT prevents injuries caused by loss of control or misuse.
- How fast do the Segways go?
- The Segway moves at the exact speed you want while remaining comfortable and in control. The maximum speed is 12.5 mph or about the pace of a brisk run.
- Who can ride the Segway PT?
- It is required that all riders be at least 14 years of age (an adult or guardian must sign the liability waiver for anyone under 18). The Segway PT is not appropriate for those weighing under 100 pounds or over 275 pounds.
- I have children in my group that are under 14 years old. Can they still come on the tour?
- No, unfortunately children under the age of 14 are not permitted on the tour for safety reasons.
- Is the tour suitable for pregnant women?
- Unfortunately, for safety reasons, we do not recommend that pregnant women participate in the tour.
- Are Segway rentals available through Segway of Richmond?
- Yes! Please click on the "Contact SegwayofRich" link if you're interested in doing a private rental instead of a tour. Please specify your interest in renting a segway with Segway of Richmond.
- Can I arrange for a private/corporate/business event?
- Yes, we offer private groups tours for corporate functions and private events. We offer drop-off and pick-up of the Segway PT's as well as provide guides to assist with training, information and support throughout your event. For more information, please click on the "Contact SegwayofRich" link and specify your interest in arranging a private or corporate event with Segway of Richmond.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! To purchase a gift certificate, please click on the "Contact SegwayofRich" link specify your interest in a gift certificate for a tour with Segway of Richmond.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Participants must meet age and weight requirements.
- All Segway tour participants must be at least 14 years of age. Those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult or guardian. All participants must also weigh between 100 and 275 pounds.
- Participants must sign a liability waiver.
- All participants must sign a liability waiver before taking the tour. Participants under the age of 18 must have an adult or guardian sign the waiver for them. Helmets are also required and are provided by Segway of Richmond at no additional charge.
- The tour is not suitable for pregnant women.
- For safety reasons, this tour is considered not suitable for pregnant women.
RVA Segway Tours & RVA Trolley Tours
At RVA Segway Tours, you can take a tour or even arrange a special event using our Segways including corporate team building or even birthday parties.
This tour is led by master guide, E.L. Butterworth, named as one of top 10 guides in the U.S by the Tourism Writers association.