On this trip, you'll have the opportunity to...
- Catch the tasty red Snapper from the pristine deck of the Velocity.
- Reel in Ling Cod in between visits to our full service galley where you can purchase your favorite meal, snack, or beverage including beer.
- Rockfish can be part of your 10 Rock Cod & 2 Ling Cod limit/fisherman.
- Our deckhands will happily fillet your catch of Vermillion, so you don't have to.
A very popular shorter version of our deep sea fishing trip!!
Live bait used when available.
What Is Not Included?
Food and beverages: The boat also features a full service galley, which sells breakfast and lunch items as well as your favorite beverages (including beer and wine). Previous guests who have enjoyed breakfast and lunch aboard our boats have found $12 per person, cash or credit, to be sufficient ($20 with beer). You many also bring your own food and drinks (but no alcohol!).
Fishing License regulations: Anyone 16 years of age or older (and fishing) must have a fishing license before getting on the boat. If you do not have one, we have one-day licenses available in the shop that can be purchased prior to departure ($15).
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Really had a good day!
|cmdawn||Sun, Sep 27 6:30 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family With Children|
We were a larger group. The crew was very informative and sincerely polite. Boat was pretty full and everyone got along and was helpful. I was impressed. I would do it again, especially for that 2' cod that got away.
Great inexpensive trip
|jonqmac||Sun, Sep 27 6:30 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Family With Children|
I purchased the trip for my brother as a Birthday present, I thought the crew was very professional. Helpful and friendly,
The cost was nominal a great value, highly recommend.
Forget the Mystery Spot!
|dwilk26||Fri, Sep 25 6:30 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
If you're trying to do something touristy in Santa Cruz, look no further than the Stagnaro Bros fishing charter. We did the half-day trip that left early in the morning in September 2015, caught our limits of rock cod, enjoyed a beautiful sunrise, friendly crew, and saw sea lions, otters, dolphins, and whales to boot. You don't need any experience, the crew seems always to be nearby if you've caught something big or tangled your line, and for $10 they will clean your catch right on the boat. I walked away with about 7 pounds of fish, which actually turned out to be more like 5 pounds after removing the skin that they are required to leave on for the Fish and Game folks. It made for delicious eating. Tacos, sandwiches, and stew. You can't go wrong with this trip. If you get seasick, I would definitely recommend taking Dramamine at least an hour before you leave, because it does get a little choppy, even on a nice day. Otherwise, forget the Mystery Spot, and get out on the beautiful Monterey Bay. You won't regret it!
,Great time on the water
|BrandonA||Sun, Sep 20 6:30 AM||Unspecified||Under 20||Combination||Family With Children|
This trip was the perfect amount of time if you have kids or a wife who doesn't like to be out all day on a boat. My friends brought their daughters (6&7) and they had a great time. Captain put us right on the fish and the deck hands were a class act, very knowledgeable and super helpful. I would highly recommend this charter trip & company to everyone. Thanks Stagneros for a great time on the water!
Had a great time! Would defiantly do it again!
|Racosta85||Sun, Sep 13 6:30 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family Without Children|
My dad and I had so much fun! We've been looking forward to booking a trip like this for a while and were very happy we did! So much fun! The crew was also great! Would definitely book another trip!
Well planned trip
|youjinzhu||Mon, Sep 7 6:30 AM||Male||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
Great trip and so much fun. Wish I had brought my 11 year old son along.... only complain - the fish is relatively small.
A fun family eperience to be remembered.
|ursulahamner||Mon, Sep 7 6:30 AM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
The crew makes or breaks an experience on any fishing trip. These guys really made it a great day for us. And we chose a sold out Labor Day! It was well organized, friendly, and helpful. The only thing I'd like to see done better is the excellent speech done at the beginning to instruct us on how to tackle up was a bit hard to hear, perhaps a little mic? In addition, I'd say my ONLY complaint was the filleting. It wasn't the best, and I was not given an option to leave the ribs on or have them off, so I had a lot of secondary clean up to do at home, as well as a lot of meat left on the skin tabs. But well worth the money! An overall excellent experience largely due to the crew. Oh by the way, no live bait.
Lots of fish
|Longd89||Mon, Sep 7 6:30 AM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
They make it really easy for you.
Beware: Not as Advertised!
|kingstop||Sun, Sep 6 6:30 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
I took two friends who were new to fishing on a half day "4.5 hour" fishing charter. I was seriously disappointed and WOULD NOT RECOMMEND this to anyone wanting to get a QUALITY fishing experience.
First off, the trip is advertised as a 4.5 hour trip. While we left and returned on time, we only got our lines in the water less than 2 of those hours. The Captain took FOREVER to set up a drift, travelling in circles for 15 minutes to get the drift right. Granted the conditions were challenging, but I would expect more of a seasoned captain. But the biggest frustration was at 9:45 we pulled in our lines and headed back to the harbor: SLOWLY. We were basically at idle speed so that the deckhands could filet all the fish before heading in. We even did a couple circles to give them more time and "watch" some dolphins. This was a fishing trip, not a wildlife viewing trip. I do not understand why they could not have a fish cleaning station on shore to allow for more time fishing.
Second, the fishing was slow (no fault of the captain or crew) but the small rockfish that should have been released were kept. We tried to throw them back, but the deckhands asked us to KEEP ALL FISH so that we could fill everyones limits. Not sure on the ethics of this, but seemed like a great way to boost their stats for advertising, part of which sold me on fishing with this outfit.
The deckhands were nice and friendly.
Bottom line: if you want a quality FISHING experience, do not go on this. If you want to take kids out on the water and catch a few fish this may be the trip for you, but if you already know how to fish you will be frustrated by the lack of time actually fishing, and all the tangles with other anglers.
Great Day of Fishing
|nanapapa1990||Sun, Aug 30 6:30 AM||Male||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Good fishing, good eats.
- What has the catch been like lately?
- Date: Saturday, September 26, 2015 at 09:06:10 Current Report: We are fishing mainly half day trips on our local reefs. The blue cod have been the main fish the last few weeks. They have really been on the bite. We are getting limits for everyone on almost all of our trips. A few lings and reds are being boated on most trips as well. We have several full day cod trips on Velocity scheduled coming up in October as well.
- What is the difference between the Deep Sea Cod Fishing Trip and the Half Day Fishing Trip?
- The main difference is the time and duration. The half day trip lasts 4.5 hours and the Deep Sea trip lasts between 6 and 8 hours, depending on bite. Because the half day trips are shorter, we usually fish in the local reefs. The half day trip is also great for families introducing their children to fishing, who don't want to be out for the whole day. However, if the half day trip is not available on the day you'd like to go, check out our morning Cod trips and you won't be disappointed.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What happens if it rains?
- The fishing trip runs rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions. But don't worry. Some of our best trips have taken place in less than perfect weather, so plan your attire accordingly. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Do I need a fishing license?
- Yes. Anyone 16 years of age (and who is fishing) or older is REQUIRED to have a fishing license. It must be in your possession before getting on the boat. If you do not have one, one-day licenses are available for purchase in the shop prior to departure. The price of a one-day license is $15.
- How many fish can I keep?
- Depends on what we are fishing for. If we are fishing for Cod, we can only keep 10 Rock Cod and 2 Ling Cod. It is imperative that all regulations as governed by the DFG and PFMC be followed at all times. The crew members will remind each individual. DFG are constantly patrolling the area, whether it is on the water or on land. It is not worth the risk. The fines can be a substantial amount.
- What's the limit for a child under 16 with no fishing license?
- Even though children under 16 years of age are allowed to fish on our trips without a license, they are allowed the same legal limit as an adult fisherman.
- When do I buy my fishing license?
- You can purchase your one-day fishing license, at our office, prior to departure, on the day of your trip. The licenses are $15.00 a piece.
- I have never been fishing before. Is that okay?
- Oh sure, nothing like a new experience! Our crew will assist you and, often times, some of the "seasoned" veterans are willing to offer advice.
- Can you provide me with fishing gear, bait, and tackle?
- Yes, you can rent (or purchase, depending on the item) the necessary gear along with your tickets. Rod & Reel Rental is $13.00 and a Tackle Kit is $6.00. You can also rent them from our shop prior to departure.
- What type of gear do I need?
- We can supply you with all the gear you need! You can purchase a full equipment package when you book your tickets. You can also bring your own gear. Even if you have some equipment at home, our rods and tackle are specific to the type of fish we will be catching. If you are a first-time fisherman, we recommend you purchase our equipment package to ensure that you have all the best supplies!
- What is included in the tackle kit purchase?
- The tackle kit includes a Rock Cod Rig and one weight and a burlap sack to put your fish in. Bait is included in the price of every trip, regardless of whether or not you buy the tackle kit. All participants must have tackle suitable for Rock Cod fishing to fish on the trip.
- I don't want to fish, can I still go on the trip?
- Yes. Ride-Along tickets are available for this fishing trip. Ride-Along passengers are not entitled to a limit of fish for the trip. Please keep in mind that our route depends on the best fishing areas, and we may not pass by any wildlife along the way. If you are more interested in seeing wildlife, please check our Whale Watching and Scenic Cruises instead.
- What is the difference between the Regular and Ride-Along tickets?
- Each Regular, which includes Adult and Child, ticket-holder is entitled to one limit of fish, whereas Ride-Along passengers cannot catch any fish. Anyone without a fishing license, regardless of the type of ticket they buy, will NOT be allowed to hold a fishing pole at any time. For example, if your child is purchasing a Regular ticket and you are only attending as a Ride-Along, you will not be able to hold your child's fishing pole unless you have a valid fishing license in your name. If you do, you can help out, but you and your child will still only be allowed one limit of fish between the two of you. If you purchase a Ride-Along ticket and don't have any intention on fishing or even helping, you do not need a license.
- Are children allowed?
- Due to the inherent motion of the boat, and for safety reasons, children ages 3 and younger are not allowed on the trip. If you'd like to take your young child on one of our cruises, check out the Scenic Bay Cruise.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- For safety reasons, this cruise is not suitable for pregnant women. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
- Is my child too young to go fishing?
- It depends on the child. You know your child best. Age 5-6 may be a good age to get a child oriented with this traditional sport. We do recommend starting out on a “Rock Cod” Fishing Trip as it is very likely that a child will catch something.
- What types of food and beverages are available in the full-service galley?
- You can purchase a variety of food and beverage items at the galley. In the morning, our selection includes breakfast burritos of bacon, eggs, salsa, English muffins, danishes, and bagels with cream cheese. For lunch/dinner, our selection includes cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, quesadillas, cold-cut sandwiches, chips, popcorn, and candy. Our drink selection includes soda, bottled water, beer, and wine.
- I am planning on eating in the full service galley, how much money should I bring?
- Approximately $12.00 should cover the cost of your breakfast and lunch. If you plan on purchasing beer along with your meals, you should bring approximately $20.00.
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- Yes. You can bring your own food and beverages, but outside alcohol cannot be brought onto the boat. Please limit your cooler size to less than 20 inches. Beer and wine are available for purchase in the full service galley.
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- Yes, however, coolers longer than 20" are not allowed. Also, it is illegal to bring your own alcohol on board. But you can purchase beer and wine aboard the boat.
- How long will the fishing trip last?
- Typically these trips last 4 hours.
- How early should I arrive to check in before my trip?
- Please arrive an HOUR before your trip begins. Before the trip you'll need to get your equipment, purchase your license, sign the U.S. Coastguard registry, and get acclimated with the boat. Remember to take traffic into account when making your plans.
- Do you guarantee that fish will be caught?
- We can guarantee fishing but not catching. The Skipper will do everything in his power to put you where there is fish. We cannot control what does or does not bite the hook.
- Where will we be fishing?
- Our captains use their intimate knowledge of the Santa Cruz area to locate Cod hotspots. For the half day trip, we usually go to the reefs about 20 miles north of Santa Cruz.
- What do I do with the fish I have caught?
- We recommend that you have the deckhand clean/fillet them - so much easier than having this mess at home. Fish cleaning is $10 per Cod limit (10 Rock Cod ).
- Can I sell the fish I catch?
- NO! It is illegal to sell fish that are caught by way of "Recreational Sport Fishing." If you are caught violating this law, you (along with Stagnaro Charter Boats) will be ordered to appear in court, fined, and items can be confiscated.
- Will I get seasick?
- We sure hope not. Unfortunately, this is not something we can predict. While we can't recommend you take any medications, prevention might be a good idea if you are susceptible to motion sickness.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there are life jackets for every adult and child on board. The location of the jackets is clearly posted and verbally announced by the skipper.
- Do I have to wear the life jacket?
- No. You may choose to wear a life jacket if you feel you need one.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained and inspected twice a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Are there bathrooms on board?
- Yes, there is a restroom on board.
- Will we see whales or dolphins while we are fishing?
- Maybe. Should the whales pass by, then great! You got a bonus for the day. If they do not, then please do not be disappointed as the original objective is to go fishing.
- Where do trips depart from?
- Trips depart from the Santa Cruz West Harbor at Atlantic Avenue. HOWEVER, check-in for the trip happens at Stagnaro’s office at 1718 Brommer Street, Santa Cruz. The staff will then direct you to the boat, which is about a ten minute drive away. Don't worry - exact meeting location details and directions will be provided upon ticket purchase!
- Where does my trip end?
- Your trip will end at the same dock that it starts from.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes. Indoor seating and awnings are available if you need to get out of the sunlight.
- Are dogs or pets allowed on the boat?
- No pets are allowed on our boat, but we may be able to allow service dogs on a case-by-case basis.
- Are your boats handicap/wheelchair accessible?
- Our boats are accessible to those with walkers and canes. Though we are often able to accommodate people in wheelchairs as well, our boats are not wheelchair accessible by average standards. If you are in a wheelchair, please keep in mind that steps leading to the boats prevent you from wheeling directly on board. As a result, you will need to be able to walk up the 4 stairs with help or have friends with you that will have to physically carry you from the dock, on to the boat, and back into your chair.
- Where does the boat depart from?
- We depart from the Santa Cruz West Harbor at Atlantic Avenue. Use 789 Mariner Park Way Santa Cruz for your GPS entry. However, you do need to check in at the office first:1718 Brommer Street
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is a limited amount of space on the boat for your personal belongings. Please keep your coolers under 20 inches in length. Out of respect for your fellow passengers, please keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Stagnaro Fishing Trips are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link.
- Can I book a private fishing trip?
- Yes! Stagnaro Fishing can accommodate a variety of special requests. Click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link for more information on private trips.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Not suitable for children ages 3 and younger, nor for pregnant women.
- For safety reasons, children ages 3 and younger are not allowed on this trip. Pregnant women are not advised to attend due to the inherent motion of the boat and safety precautions. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
- Participants must have a fishing license before getting on the boat.
- All participants 16 years of age or older (and who are fishing) are required to have a fishing license in their possession before getting on the boat. One-day licenses can be purchased in our shop for $15 prior to departure.
- Participants must have a rod and tackle to fish on the trip.
- Participants fishing on the trip must have a rod and tackle suitable for Cod fishing, which are not included in the regular price of the trip. If you do not have your own, you can rent a rod, as well as purchase tackle at our shop just prior to departure. Notice: The use of braided fishing line is not permitted on our vessels. Monofilament line only is allowed.
Stagnaro Charter Boats
The Stagnaro family has been serving the Santa Cruz area for over a century, ever since Italian patriarch Cottardo Stagnaro settled in Santa Cruz in 1879.
This historical landmark business is still leading the way in ocean fun on the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Today's fourth generation Stagnaro Charter Boats will surely make your trip fun and memorable.