On this trip, you'll have the opportunity to...
- Catch the tasty red Snapper from the pristine deck of the Velocity.
- Reel in Ling Cod in between visits to our full service galley where you can purchase your favorite meal, snack, or beverage including beer.
- Rockfish can be part of your 10 Rock Cod & 2 Ling Cod limit/fisherman.
- Our deckhands will happily fillet your catch of Vermillion, so you don't have to.
A very popular shorter version of our deep sea fishing trip!!
Live bait used when available.
What Is Not Included?
Food and beverages: The boat also features a full service galley, which sells breakfast and lunch items as well as your favorite beverages (including beer and wine). Previous guests who have enjoyed breakfast and lunch aboard our boats have found $12 per person, cash or credit, to be sufficient ($20 with beer). You many also bring your own food and drinks (but no alcohol!).
Fishing License regulations: Anyone 16 years of age or older (and fishing) must have a fishing license before getting on the boat. If you do not have one, we have one-day licenses available in the shop that can be purchased prior to departure ($15).
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Best way to spend a morning
|kevinhashman||Mon, Jun 29 6:30 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Individual|
The crew was friendly and helpful with the whole trip while leaving you with as much independence as you like. Everyone caught a lot of rockfish and seemed to be having a good time. I would definitely come back and recommend to friends
great trip compare to other charter trips.
|Lyndontuazon||Sun, Jun 21 6:30 AM||Male||50-59||Local||Individual|
Captain crews are great,very helpful, accommodating, pleasant to all fisherman.Captain is very funny ,knows all the spots where you can catch many fish and all crews were courteous, friendly and all generous and smiling faces. We got our limit in just less than an hour of fishing..I will do it again for sure! Good job guys!
Extemely helpful crew
|mgangemi||Sun, Jun 14 6:30 AM||Female||30-39||Local||Family With Children|
I hadn't fished in years, so I thought it would be fun to take my six-year-old son along for the experience. I have to say, the crew is amazing. They were so helpful with every aspect of fishing. Anytime a fish is on, they rush over to unhook and identify what type it is, and get you baited up and ready to go for the next one. I opted to have my fish filleted, and it was really fun to watch how quickly these guys work.
|aldrst00||Fri, Jun 12 6:30 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Group of Friends|
Expectations were fully met. The whole boat got their limit of fish!
|jolivares||Sun, May 31 6:30 AM||Male||60-69||Local||Individual|
was a nice day for fishing, boat hands were great...
|chckboy5||Sun, May 31 6:30 AM||Male||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
Great experience for my first time deep sea fishing. The Crew was very helpful. Definitely recommend!
Good for Rock Fish
|Gtg536w||Sun, May 31 6:30 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Group of Friends|
Boat departed late due to a large unorganized group, and Captain left the waters early which resulted in arriving back at the dock and in vehicle before 11:00 AM.
Don't expect to catch anything except rock fish. The only spot where the captain put us on Ling Cod, he had us pull reels. Not sure why as multiple people had Cod bites (only one keeper).
Deck hands were awesome!
Overall very disappointed in the fishing experience. Next time I will do the full day, but NOT with Stagnaro.
|iaintghetto||Sun, May 31 6:30 AM||Male||30-39||Local||Group of Friends|
I was a noobie at fishing. The experience was great and the staff was super friendly.
|Jgiles||Mon, May 25 6:30 AM||Male||20-29||Local||Couple on a Date|
I took my lady on a date and also had my friend bring his gf so it was a double date. It was an amazing trip and my lady has not fished more than a handful of times. The deck hands were so nice and professional. They helped her learn what to do and actually she ended up out fishing me. They were awesome to talk to and I will be making this a regular trip I will go on.
Half day Codfishing Trip
|LINDA3982||Fri, May 22 6:30 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
We had a great time. The crew were attentive and friendly. The captain made a continuing effort to find good spots. All of us caught fish. There were about sixteen people on board to fish and there was plenty of room. The check-in process was easy and the young lady was very nice and helpful. I would highly recommend this trip for any age or skill level.
- What has the catch been like lately?
- Date: Monday, June 22, 2015 We caught a 20 pound Ling on yesterday's half day cod trip on Velocity. They had full limits of cod in about 2 hours of fishing for 33 fisherman. Sea Stag got 4 Lings for 6 guys along with good quality bottom fish and black rockfish.
- What is the difference between the Deep Sea Cod Fishing Trip and the Half Day Fishing Trip?
- The main difference is the time and duration. The half day trip lasts 4.5 hours and the Deep Sea trip lasts between 6 and 8 hours, depending on bite. Because the half day trips are shorter, we usually fish in the local reefs. The half day trip is also great for families introducing their children to fishing, who don't want to be out for the whole day. However, if the half day trip is not available on the day you'd like to go, check out our morning Cod trips and you won't be disappointed.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What happens if it rains?
- The fishing trip runs rain or shine, regardless of weather conditions. But don't worry. Some of our best trips have taken place in less than perfect weather, so plan your attire accordingly. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Do I need a fishing license?
- Yes. Anyone 16 years of age (and who is fishing) or older is REQUIRED to have a fishing license. It must be in your possession before getting on the boat. If you do not have one, one-day licenses are available for purchase in the shop prior to departure. The price of a one-day license is $15.
- How many fish can I keep?
- Depends on what we are fishing for. If we are fishing for Cod, we can only keep 10 Rock Cod and 2 Ling Cod. It is imperative that all regulations as governed by the DFG and PFMC be followed at all times. The crew members will remind each individual. DFG are constantly patrolling the area, whether it is on the water or on land. It is not worth the risk. The fines can be a substantial amount.
- What's the limit for a child under 16 with no fishing license?
- Even though children under 16 years of age are allowed to fish on our trips without a license, they are allowed the same legal limit as an adult fisherman.
- When do I buy my fishing license?
- You can purchase your one-day fishing license, at our office, prior to departure, on the day of your trip. The licenses are $15.00 a piece.
- I have never been fishing before. Is that okay?
- Oh sure, nothing like a new experience! Our crew will assist you and, often times, some of the "seasoned" veterans are willing to offer advice.
- Can you provide me with fishing gear, bait, and tackle?
- Yes, you can rent (or purchase, depending on the item) the necessary gear along with your tickets. Rod & Reel Rental is $13.00 and a Tackle Kit is $6.00. You can also rent them from our shop prior to departure.
- What type of gear do I need?
- We can supply you with all the gear you need! You can purchase a full equipment package when you book your tickets. You can also bring your own gear. Even if you have some equipment at home, our rods and tackle are specific to the type of fish we will be catching. If you are a first-time fisherman, we recommend you purchase our equipment package to ensure that you have all the best supplies!
- What is included in the tackle kit purchase?
- The tackle kit includes a Rock Cod Rig and one weight and a burlap sack to put your fish in. Bait is included in the price of every trip, regardless of whether or not you buy the tackle kit. All participants must have tackle suitable for Rock Cod fishing to fish on the trip.
- I don't want to fish, can I still go on the trip?
- Yes. Ride-Along tickets are available for this fishing trip. Ride-Along passengers are not entitled to a limit of fish for the trip. Please keep in mind that our route depends on the best fishing areas, and we may not pass by any wildlife along the way. If you are more interested in seeing wildlife, please check our Whale Watching and Scenic Cruises instead.
- What is the difference between the Regular and Ride-Along tickets?
- Each Regular, which includes Adult and Child, ticket-holder is entitled to one limit of fish, whereas Ride-Along passengers cannot catch any fish. Anyone without a fishing license, regardless of the type of ticket they buy, will NOT be allowed to hold a fishing pole at any time. For example, if your child is purchasing a Regular ticket and you are only attending as a Ride-Along, you will not be able to hold your child's fishing pole unless you have a valid fishing license in your name. If you do, you can help out, but you and your child will still only be allowed one limit of fish between the two of you. If you purchase a Ride-Along ticket and don't have any intention on fishing or even helping, you do not need a license.
- Are children allowed?
- Due to the inherent motion of the boat, and for safety reasons, children ages 3 and younger are not allowed on the trip. If you'd like to take your young child on one of our cruises, check out the Scenic Bay Cruise.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- For safety reasons, this cruise is not suitable for pregnant women. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
- Is my child too young to go fishing?
- It depends on the child. You know your child best. Age 5-6 may be a good age to get a child oriented with this traditional sport. We do recommend starting out on a “Rock Cod” Fishing Trip as it is very likely that a child will catch something.
- What types of food and beverages are available in the full-service galley?
- You can purchase a variety of food and beverage items at the galley. In the morning, our selection includes breakfast burritos of bacon, eggs, salsa, English muffins, danishes, and bagels with cream cheese. For lunch/dinner, our selection includes cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, quesadillas, cold-cut sandwiches, chips, popcorn, and candy. Our drink selection includes soda, bottled water, beer, and wine.
- I am planning on eating in the full service galley, how much money should I bring?
- Approximately $12.00 should cover the cost of your breakfast and lunch. If you plan on purchasing beer along with your meals, you should bring approximately $20.00.
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- Yes. You can bring your own food and beverages, but outside alcohol cannot be brought onto the boat. Please limit your cooler size to less than 20 inches. Beer and wine are available for purchase in the full service galley.
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- Yes, however, coolers longer than 20" are not allowed. Also, it is illegal to bring your own alcohol on board. But you can purchase beer and wine aboard the boat.
- How long will the fishing trip last?
- Typically these trips last 4 hours.
- How early should I arrive to check in before my trip?
- Please arrive an HOUR before your trip begins. Before the trip you'll need to get your equipment, purchase your license, sign the U.S. Coastguard registry, and get acclimated with the boat. Remember to take traffic into account when making your plans.
- Do you guarantee that fish will be caught?
- We can guarantee fishing but not catching. The Skipper will do everything in his power to put you where there is fish. We cannot control what does or does not bite the hook.
- Where will we be fishing?
- Our captains use their intimate knowledge of the Santa Cruz area to locate Cod hotspots. For the half day trip, we usually go to the reefs about 20 miles north of Santa Cruz.
- What do I do with the fish I have caught?
- We recommend that you have the deckhand clean/fillet them - so much easier than having this mess at home. Fish cleaning is $10 per Cod limit (10 Rock Cod ).
- Can I sell the fish I catch?
- NO! It is illegal to sell fish that are caught by way of "Recreational Sport Fishing." If you are caught violating this law, you (along with Stagnaro Charter Boats) will be ordered to appear in court, fined, and items can be confiscated.
- Will I get seasick?
- We sure hope not. Unfortunately, this is not something we can predict. While we can't recommend you take any medications, prevention might be a good idea if you are susceptible to motion sickness.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there are life jackets for every adult and child on board. The location of the jackets is clearly posted and verbally announced by the skipper.
- Do I have to wear the life jacket?
- No. You may choose to wear a life jacket if you feel you need one.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained and inspected twice a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Are there bathrooms on board?
- Yes, there is a restroom on board.
- Will we see whales or dolphins while we are fishing?
- Maybe. Should the whales pass by, then great! You got a bonus for the day. If they do not, then please do not be disappointed as the original objective is to go fishing.
- Where do trips depart from?
- Trips depart from the Santa Cruz West Harbor at Atlantic Avenue. HOWEVER, check-in for the trip happens at Stagnaro’s office at 1718 Brommer Street, Santa Cruz. The staff will then direct you to the boat, which is about a ten minute drive away. Don't worry - exact meeting location details and directions will be provided upon ticket purchase!
- Where does my trip end?
- Your trip will end at the same dock that it starts from.
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes. Indoor seating and awnings are available if you need to get out of the sunlight.
- Are dogs or pets allowed on the boat?
- No pets are allowed on our boat, but we may be able to allow service dogs on a case-by-case basis.
- Are your boats handicap/wheelchair accessible?
- Our boats are accessible to those with walkers and canes. Though we are often able to accommodate people in wheelchairs as well, our boats are not wheelchair accessible by average standards. If you are in a wheelchair, please keep in mind that steps leading to the boats prevent you from wheeling directly on board. As a result, you will need to be able to walk up the 4 stairs with help or have friends with you that will have to physically carry you from the dock, on to the boat, and back into your chair.
- Where does the boat depart from?
- We depart from the Santa Cruz West Harbor at Atlantic Avenue. Use 789 Mariner Park Way Santa Cruz for your GPS entry. However, you do need to check in at the office first:1718 Brommer Street
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is a limited amount of space on the boat for your personal belongings. Please keep your coolers under 20 inches in length. Out of respect for your fellow passengers, please keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Stagnaro Fishing Trips are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link.
- Can I book a private fishing trip?
- Yes! Stagnaro Fishing can accommodate a variety of special requests. Click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link for more information on private trips.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Not suitable for children ages 3 and younger, nor for pregnant women.
- For safety reasons, children ages 3 and younger are not allowed on this trip. Pregnant women are not advised to attend due to the inherent motion of the boat and safety precautions. If you are pregnant and would like to attend anyway, you must first consult with your doctor.
- Participants must have a fishing license before getting on the boat.
- All participants 16 years of age or older (and who are fishing) are required to have a fishing license in their possession before getting on the boat. One-day licenses can be purchased in our shop for $15 prior to departure.
- Participants must have a rod and tackle to fish on the trip.
- Participants fishing on the trip must have a rod and tackle suitable for Cod fishing, which are not included in the regular price of the trip. If you do not have your own, you can rent a rod, as well as purchase tackle at our shop just prior to departure.
Stagnaro Charter Boats
The Stagnaro family has been serving the Santa Cruz area for over a century, ever since Italian patriarch Cottardo Stagnaro settled in Santa Cruz in 1879.
This historical landmark business is still leading the way in ocean fun on the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Today's fourth generation Stagnaro Charter Boats will surely make your trip fun and memorable.