Sightings of Sea Lions, Otters and other marine life are common, so be sure to bring your camera!
On this fully narrated tour, you'll enjoy:
- The Kelp Forest growing off the Point of Santa Cruz, where you can catch a glimpse of frolicking sea otters.
- Steamer's Surfing area--world-famous for its celebrity guests and competitions
- A close-up pass by Seal Island
- A cruise down the main beaches of Santa Cruz and the boardwalk
- Sip your favorite beverage, while drifting through the beautiful Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor
What Is Not Included?
You can also bring your own food and drinks on board, but no outside alcohol. Coolers longer than 20" in length are not allowed.
- Do you guarantee sightings?
- Although we cannot guarantee that we'll see every creature that calls the Monterey Bay Marine Sanctuary home, we do have a very high success rate. There is a variety of marine life to be seen and enjoyed.
- Where exactly do we go?
- We depart near the Kelp Forest, where you can catch a glimpse of sea otters playing in the water. We then continue near Steamer's Lane surfing area and check out Sea Lion Island. We then cross the Santa Cruz Lake. Finally we make our way across the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor and take a scenic ride along the main beaches of Santa Cruz and the boardwalk.
- What is the best time of the year to go?
- Anytime. We see different species at different times throughout the year. Every trip is different. No two trips are alike.
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, and trips often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance.
- What type of ticket should I buy if I'm bringing a child?
- For children between the ages of 4 and 13, you should purchase a reduced price Child ticket. Children ages 3 and younger ride for free, but you'll still need to enter the appropriate number of Infant tickets labeled "Free" when purchasing. All passengers, regardless of age, must have a ticket, so please make sure your entire party is accounted for in this way.
- Is this cruise suitable for pregnant women?
- Yes it is. Unlike the longer trips we do accept pregnant women on this cruise with the understanding that you must be safe while moving around the boat. Sea sickness is very unlikely on a bay cruise, but if you have morning sickness this may make it worse. In the last trimesters (while you are showing) please be careful around the railing as it can be at the same level as your belly. If you have questions please consult your doctor or contact us directly 831-427-2334.
- What types of food and beverages are available in the full-service galley?
- You can purchase a variety of food and beverage items at the galley. For lunch/dinner, our selection includes cheeseburgers, chicken sandwiches, hot dogs, pizza, quesadillas, cold-cut sandwiches, chips, popcorn, and candy. Our drink selection includes soda, bottled water, beer, and wine.
- I am planning on eating in the full service galley, how much money should I bring?
- Approximately $15.00 should cover the cost of your lunch, as well as some wine or beer.
- Can I bring my own food and/or beverages?
- Yes. You can bring your own food and beverages, but outside alcohol cannot be brought onto the boats. Please limit your cooler size to 20 inches or less. Beer and wine are available for purchase in the full service galley.
- What happens if it rains?
- We still go out. The rain is of no consequence; we are concerned with wind and sea conditions and they are not necessarily bad during the rain. In fact, some of our best conditions can be on a rainy day, so dress appropriately. In the case of severe weather, we may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in which case you will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Can I bring an ice chest?
- A small one for your food and beverages. Coolers longer than 20" in length are not allowed, so as to not deprive yourself or everyone else of space.
- Is there a bathroom on the boat?
- Yes, there is a restroom on the boat.
- What should I wear?
- Warm layered clothing and rubber soled shoes are best. It is always much cooler on the ocean than on land, so it is better to be over dressed than under dressed. Once you become comfortable you can always peel a layer off.
- Will I get seasick?
- We sure hope not. Unfortunately, this is not something we can predict. While we can't recommend you take any medications, prevention might be a good idea if you are susceptible to motion sickness.
- Is the boat wheelchair accessible?
- Our boats are accessible to those with walkers and canes. Though we are often able to accommodate people in wheelchairs as well, our boats are not wheelchair accessible by average standards. If you are in a wheelchair, please keep in mind that steps leading to the boats prevent you from wheeling directly on board. As a result, you will need to be able to walk up the 4 stairs with help or have friends with you that will have to physically carry you from the dock, on to the boat, and back into your chair.
- Are dogs or pets allowed on the boat?
- No pets are allowed on our boat, but we may be able to allow service dogs on a case-by-case basis.
- Where does my trip end?
- Your trip will end in the exact place that it starts from.
- Is the boat safe?
- Absolutely. In addition to modern safety equipment (EPIRB, Life Floats, Life Jackets, etc.) our vessels are constantly maintained and inspected twice a year by the United States Coast Guard, a Division of Homeland Security.
- Are there life jackets on the boat?
- Yes, there are life jackets for every adult and child on board. The location of the jackets is clearly posted and verbally announced by the skipper.
- Do I have to wear the life jacket?
- No. You may choose to wear a life jacket if you feel you need one.
- Where does the boat depart from?
- Trips depart from the Santa Cruz West Harbor at Atlantic Avenue. HOWEVER, check-in for the trip happens at Stagnaro’s office at 1718 Brommer Street, Santa Cruz. The staff will then direct you to the boat, which is about a ten minute drive away. Don't worry - exact meeting location details and directions will be provided upon ticket purchase!
- Is there shade on the boat?
- Yes. Indoor seating and awnings are available if you need to get out of the sunlight.
- Will there be room on the boat to stow my belongings?
- There is a limited amount of space on the boat for your personal belongings. Please keep your coolers under 20 inches in length. Out of respect for your fellow passengers, please keep your personal items to a minimum.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Yes! Gift certificates for Stagnaro Charter Boats are great for any occasion. To purchase a gift certificate, click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link.
- Can I book a private trip?
- Yes! Stagnaro Charter Boats can accommodate a variety of special requests. For Group Discounts for up to 63 passengers, click on the "Contact Stagnaros" link for more information.
Stagnaro Charter Boats
This historical landmark business is still leading the way in ocean fun on the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary.
Today's fourth generation Stagnaro Charter Boats will surely make your trip fun and memorable.
PLEASE NOTE AS OF 2010 WE ARE NO LONGER ON THE WHARF.