The 3-Hour Behind the Scenes Tour is "the tour" for serious architectural enthusiasts and will give you the most complete experience at Taliesin West. On this tour you'll get to experience all the aspects of the Insights Tour but with great extras such as guest speakers, mid-morning tea and a visit to a unique desert site. Some of the sites seen on this tour include:
- The living quarters along with the dramatic "Garden Room"
- Cabaret Theater
- Music Pavilion
- Wright's private office
True architecture enthusiasts consistently cite this tour as one the highlights of their travels.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
Great tour of an amazing place.
|CCushing||Sat, Mar 21 9:15 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
We're big FLW fans and live in a city chock full of FLW buildings and have been to Taliesen (Wisconsin) several times so it was inevitable that we'd make the pilgrimage to Taliesen West. The experience exceeded our expectations in most every category. The tour was comprehensive and lead by a knowledgable and charming guide. The light lunch and talk by the Taliesen fellow who worked with FLW was fun and interesting giving us a sense of what the place was like when FLW was alive. So all and all a excellent experience.
Downsides: Too many intersecting tours overrunning each other made for a sometimes hurried or interrupted feel to the tour. One of the buildings we were to visit was locked and we had to stand at the windows peeking in, not ideal.
Incredible design and fascinating information
|sgiacobbi||Sat, Mar 21 9:15 AM||Unspecified||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family With Children|
This is a must do for anyone interested in design, history, and leadership. Just as fascinating as the buildings are Wright's philosophy, requirements, and life. Our tour guide was interesting, knowledgeable and kept us so entertained that the three hours flew by!
Amazing experience, great guide
|mariagradin||Sat, Mar 21 9:15 AM||Female||30-39||Combination||Family Without Children|
Everything was perfect. The guide was very helpful. We just wished the tour was longer.
|3957Chevy||Thu, Mar 19 9:15 AM||Male||70+||Unspecified||Unspecified|
The tour guide merna was exceptional. The snack break was good but made even better by having one of the earliest Taliesin residents - Frances - share her memories of Frank Lloyd Wright, Olgivanna, and the Taliesin Fellowship. What a superb Behind the Scenes tour. This tour wasn't a homer; it was a grand slam !
|leisenbeis||Mon, Mar 16 9:15 AM||Female||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
As a FLW enthusiast, choosing this tour was a no brainer for me. It allowed a more in depth look (physically and academically) at Taliesin West, FLW and members of his school. I appreciated the variety of being indoors and outdoors which gave enough shelter from the sun/heat but not overwhelming. Seeing the more personal living spaces of FLW and his wife was wonderful. The highlight however was the midmorning tea in the dining room, where current students dine. We were introduced to Arnold Roy, an original member of the group that built Taliesin West and personally knew FLW. His perspective and stories were priceless and well worth the extra cost to this tour. Being able to interact with the spaces up close made it feel less like a museum but a true living space. The only feedback I would give is the means by which they gather the group to begin the tour. We somehow missed our 'call out' for light blue in the gift shop, but yet we never left it and were aware to listen for it. It may be more prudent to have people gather in a shaded designated space to ensure the entire group is together to begin the tour. I would happily do this tour again when I return to the area.
Highly recommend tour.
|maryhanson||Sat, Mar 14 9:15 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Our docent was very informative. She kept the tour moving without making us feel rushed. The 3 hours flew by. Our group included family with a daughter who is a professor of art history, and they were very impressed with the tour.
|donthomases||Sat, Mar 14 9:15 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
My husband and I are FLW fans, visiting from New York. We thoroughly enjoyed both this tour and the evening tour. Our guides were professional, personable, and knowledgeable. It was wonderful to have the opportunity to sit down in several of the rooms, to not be in a hurry, to have time to really look around and absorb the sensibilities of the place. Refreshments at the midway point were a nice treat. Additional speaker was interesting, especially as she had lived at Taliesin West.as a girl and has returned to work there. Tours run frequently, and we could see others ahead and behind us, but the guides communicate well to keep groups moving smoothly without feeling rushed.
Time to enjoy
|cterrill||Thu, Mar 12 9:15 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
Enjoyed the back scenes tour. Guide was very well informed and answered lots of questions. The pace was good for everyone in our group. The chance to hear Francis was a real bonus. Tea was lovely, but being gluten-free we couldn't eat some of it. Glad the weather was moderate (60s-70s) the morning we toured.
We are FLW groupies
|theluthers||Thu, Mar 12 9:15 AM||Male||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
We did the behind the scenes tour and loved it. We felt like we really got a good feel for Frank and what he and the associates accomplished. Weather was perfect as part of Spring Training.
Excellent presentation by Romay.
|egilbert||Sat, Mar 7 9:15 AM||Male||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
It was a special treat to be guided by Romay. Here wealth of knowledge of Taliesin and Frank Lloyd Wright made the tour "come alive." It was as if he were with us!
- Do I need to buy tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What is the main difference between the flagship tours? Which one should I take?
- Our three flagship tours vary by duration and sights seen. The 90-minute Insights Tour is our most popular tour and is offered the most often. If you are looking for a more in-depth tour, consider the 3-hour Behind the Scenes Tour which includes everything on the Insights Tour and more, including guest speakers. However, if you are short on time, consider taking the Panorama Tour, which is 1-hour long and includes many highlights of the property but does not include the personal living quarters. In addition to our three year-round tours, we also offer a number of seasonal tours as well that explore other areas of Taliesin West.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- Unfortunately, children under the age of 12 are not allowed on this tour. If you have young children we recommend you click on the "Calendar of Other Activities" link to the left and check out one of our other tours that might be more appropriate for kids.
- What about bad weather?
- Taliesin West was built to be a part of its surroundings, therefore the tour is a combination of viewing interior spaces that are connected by outdoor walkways. The tour will run in moderate weather, but may be cancelled in the case of severe weather. You will be notified if the tour is cancelled and will be allowed to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future event.
- We will be on our feet for the entire tour?
- While the majority of the tour includes standing and walking, a portion of the tour includes having mid-morning tea in the Taliesin Fellowship dining room. We will be sitting during tea for approximately 30 minutes of the tour.
- What is included in the mid-morning tea?
- This is similar to a high tea and includes a variety of tea as well as small light bites, which vary from tour to tour.
- Who are the guest speakers?
- The Behind the Scenes tour includes some great additions such as guest speakers. These are often people who have met or have worked with Frank Lloyd Wright himself and provide a first-hand experience of interacting with the famous architect.
- Can we explore Taliesin West on our own or do we need to take a tour?
- All tours of Taliesin West are guided and guests are not allowed to explore on their own. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge but guests must have tour tickets to view the remainder of the property.
- Is Taliesin West handicap accessible?
- Taliesin West is a National Historic Landmark built between 1937 and 1959. As such, it was not designed or built to contemporary accessibility standards. The pathway for tours includes gravel walkways, uneven steps and stairs. Narrow, steep-sloped ramps over steps are available for guests to use at their own discretion throughout the tour. Ramps are 26” in width with slopes ranging from 21 to 27 degrees.
- Do you allow photography?
- Guests are welcome to take photos for their personal use. There are a few areas where we do not allow photography, but your tour guide will alert you to these areas during the tour. If you are looking to use photos in a professional capacity, please contact us prior to purchasing your tickets by clicking on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to make arrangements.
- Is Taliesin West open all year round?
- Yes, we operate tours throughout the entire year. The Behind the Scenes Tour runs all year round, however, not all tours are offered throughout the entire year. Please be sure to check our "Calendar of Other Activities" for the exact tour schedule on the day you plan to visit.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes, Anneliese's Bookstore is located next to the main parking lot and stocks the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright Collection® products and books. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge and its regular hours of operation are 8:30am to 6:00pm.
- What should I wear? What should I bring?
- We suggest guests wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Since a portion of the tour takes place outside, be prepared for the day's weather and note there are gravel walkways that connect the buildings, so please be sure to wear appropriate shoes. We also recommend bringing a bottle of water and an umbrella. While we have a limited number of umbrellas available for guests, they can come in handy both on rainy and sunny days in the desert.
- Are food and drinks available for purchase?
- While we have a soda machine outside the bookstore, we don't have food available for purchase. However, keep in mind this tour includes mid-morning tea with some light bites. We do not recommend bringing outside food or drink on your tour, unless you'd like to bring a bottle of water.
- Is there parking available?
- Yes, there is a free parking lot for all guests.
- Are pets allowed to come?
- No, other than certified service dogs, pets are not permitted.
- What about guests with special needs?
- Guests with special needs who are interested in visiting us but choose not to take the walking tour may request an Interpretive Guide and view a video on the history of Taliesin West while on site. Visually and hearing impaired guests who wish to bring someone to provide assistance on the tour such as a sign language interpreter may do so and the person providing assistance will not be charged admission.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you allow private parties or events?
- Spacious Taliesin West is well suited for hosting exclusive corporate receptions and dinners. Groups ranging in size from 20 to 120 have experienced memorable evenings at Taliesin West using the many indoor and outdoor spaces. For more information about setting up a private event, please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to get in touch with our staff.
- Do you offer large group tours?
- Yes, group tours are available and tours can be custom designed for prearranged groups of 15 or more. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss.
- Can we do a private tour?
- With advance notice (seven day notice preferred), individuals with very small groups may schedule a tour by an architect or personal guide. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss pricing and reservations.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Children under 12 are not permitted on this tour.
- Children under the age of 12 are not allowed on this tour. Please consider another tour option if you will be attending with young children.
Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West
Just minutes from downtown Scottsdale, Taliesin West is Frank Lloyd Wright’s desert masterpiece. In 1937, Wright and his apprentices built an architectural wonder out of the stone and sand that surrounded them in the Sonoran desert on the foothills of the McDowell Mountains. Many of those apprentices (“the Fellowship”) who worked and lived alongside Mr. Wright still live at Taliesin West, as do the current students and faculty of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture -- making Taliesin West an ongoing, vibrant community.
The Taliesin West experience is both immersive and powerful. Guests are fully welcomed into every room and space—nothing on the tour is behind ropes or under glass. The tours, which include such attractions as the Cabaret Theater, Music Pavilion, Garden Room, Desert Shelters, and Mr. Wright’s living quarters and private office, are filled with surprise, majestic views, and intimate interior details. Each tour inspires visitors with the innovative principles, beautiful creations, technological experiments, and unparalleled body of work of Frank Lloyd Wright. As a result, guests find the Taliesin West tour experience delightfully engaging and deeply relevant. While photos and descriptions may give you a hint of what’s in store, there is no substitute for experiencing it first-hand.
Come to Taliesin West and be inspired.