The 3-Hour Behind the Scenes Tour is "the tour" for serious architectural enthusiasts and will give you the most complete experience at Taliesin West. On this tour you'll get to experience all the aspects of the Insights Tour but with great extras such as guest speakers, mid-morning tea and a visit to a unique desert site. Some of the sites seen on this tour include:
- The living quarters along with the dramatic "Garden Room"
- Cabaret Theater
- Music Pavilion
- Wright's private office
True architecture enthusiasts consistently cite this tour as one the highlights of their travels.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|elumnut||Thu, May 14 9:15 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Anecdotes and stories from a former student of Wright's provided great insight. Our tour guide was extremely knowledgeable as well. Tea was lovely and it was a delight to eat in a historic setting.
Worth seeing if you are a Frank Lloyd Wright Fan
|artactivity||Sat, May 9 9:15 AM||Female||50-59||International Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The tour was great. although the design itself was not the best of Frank Lloyd Wright's efforts, in light of what it was ( winter camp and school) that was what made it interesting.
|TaraChmiel||Thu, Apr 30 9:15 AM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Individual|
A fantastic tour-- if you are in Scottsdale and a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright or architecture in general get out to see Taliesin, it is completely worth it! So glad that I chose to do the 3 hour tour instead of the 1 1/2 hour tour. Such a lot to see! Wear your sunblock though- a portion of the tour is outside! I would go back and do the night tour or even the day tour again. The guides are fantastic and the grounds are exceptional. A gem in the desert and a must see.
|CraigWagner||Thu, Apr 23 9:15 AM||Unspecified||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
Docent tour guide was very informed. It would have been nice to have more time q & a with the actual apprentice from the wright days.
It was absolutley fantastic!!!
|sonyasundset||Thu, Apr 23 9:15 AM||Female||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Taliesin West was always somewhere I wanted to see and it was not disappointing it was absolutely fabulous. I would highly, highly recommend it. Our tour guide was great and very knowledgeable. What a fantastic place and to see it in person you really appreciate what went into it to make it all happen. Frank Lloyd Wright was an amazing designer and architect and I will be seeing more of his masterpieces. Thank goodness these places are open to the public for touring.
Very informative and insightful tour
|darrylmosele||Sat, Apr 18 9:15 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Three hours might seem like a long time but it passes very quickly as you walk through the site and learn about the history and legacy of Wright and Taliesin West. Refreshments with a guest speaker in the dining room provide a break and a personal connection to the time and people who worked with Wright to build the place. We were fortunate to have Cornelia Brierly's daughter as our speaker. Not to be missed if you're in the area.
Excellent tour but lacked something
|jackduren||Mon, Apr 13 9:15 AM||Male||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
I am a longtime Wright enthusiast who has visited many of the FLW sites. Taliesin West is outstanding but I can't quite put my finger on what was lacking. The guide wasn't as knowledgeable as she should have been. She was very energetic, friendly, etc. but.............?
Wonderful Architectural Gem - Must See!
|jonmclean||Mon, Apr 13 9:15 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Tour guide Harriet was awesome!
Enjoyed three hour tour
|stevequincy||Thu, Apr 9 9:15 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
It is worth taking the three hour tour. There is plenty to see and hear about the "camp". The tea that comes with the tour is a very nice snack.
Delightful, But Well-Informed
|dean68||Mon, Apr 6 9:15 AM||Male||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Harriett was low key, but very well read. She kept us moving along, providing a running commentary. This was the three hour tour; but it flew past. I had been on the intro tour some years ago. This was so much superior that it made the shorter one a travesty. Yes, it's a good bit of money; but the experience, and the support to the foundation, is a great value. We saw some of the other guides at work; and we were sure that ours was the best of the bunch. Take the "Behind the Scenes". You will never regret it.
- Do I need to buy tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What is the main difference between the flagship tours? Which one should I take?
- Our three flagship tours vary by duration and sights seen. The 90-minute Insights Tour is our most popular tour and is offered the most often. If you are looking for a more in-depth tour, consider the 3-hour Behind the Scenes Tour which includes everything on the Insights Tour and more, including guest speakers. However, if you are short on time, consider taking the Panorama Tour, which is 1-hour long and includes many highlights of the property but does not include the personal living quarters. In addition to our three year-round tours, we also offer a number of seasonal tours as well that explore other areas of Taliesin West.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- Unfortunately, children under the age of 12 are not allowed on this tour. If you have young children we recommend you click on the "Calendar of Other Activities" link to the left and check out one of our other tours that might be more appropriate for kids.
- What about bad weather?
- Taliesin West was built to be a part of its surroundings, therefore the tour is a combination of viewing interior spaces that are connected by outdoor walkways. The tour will run in moderate weather, but may be cancelled in the case of severe weather. You will be notified if the tour is cancelled and will be allowed to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future event.
- We will be on our feet for the entire tour?
- While the majority of the tour includes standing and walking, a portion of the tour includes having mid-morning tea in the Taliesin Fellowship dining room. We will be sitting during tea for approximately 30 minutes of the tour.
- What is included in the mid-morning tea?
- This is similar to a high tea and includes a variety of tea as well as small light bites, which vary from tour to tour.
- Who are the guest speakers?
- The Behind the Scenes tour includes some great additions such as guest speakers. These are often people who have met or have worked with Frank Lloyd Wright himself and provide a first-hand experience of interacting with the famous architect.
- Can we explore Taliesin West on our own or do we need to take a tour?
- All tours of Taliesin West are guided and guests are not allowed to explore on their own. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge but guests must have tour tickets to view the remainder of the property.
- Is Taliesin West handicap accessible?
- Taliesin West is a National Historic Landmark built between 1937 and 1959. As such, it was not designed or built to contemporary accessibility standards. The pathway for tours includes gravel walkways, uneven steps and stairs. Narrow, steep-sloped ramps over steps are available for guests to use at their own discretion throughout the tour. Ramps are 26” in width with slopes ranging from 21 to 27 degrees.
- Do you allow photography?
- Guests are welcome to take photos for their personal use. There are a few areas where we do not allow photography, but your tour guide will alert you to these areas during the tour. If you are looking to use photos in a professional capacity, please contact us prior to purchasing your tickets by clicking on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to make arrangements.
- Is Taliesin West open all year round?
- Yes, we operate tours throughout the entire year. The Behind the Scenes Tour runs all year round, however, not all tours are offered throughout the entire year. Please be sure to check our "Calendar of Other Activities" for the exact tour schedule on the day you plan to visit.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes, Anneliese's Bookstore is located next to the main parking lot and stocks the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright Collection® products and books. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge and its regular hours of operation are 8:30am to 6:00pm October - May, 8:30am - 4pm June - August and 8:30am - 5pm in September.
- What should I wear? What should I bring?
- We suggest guests wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Since a portion of the tour takes place outside, be prepared for the day's weather and note there are gravel walkways that connect the buildings, so please be sure to wear appropriate shoes. We also recommend bringing a bottle of water and an umbrella. While we have a limited number of umbrellas available for guests, they can come in handy both on rainy and sunny days in the desert.
- Are food and drinks available for purchase?
- Food is not available for purchase. However, keep in mind this tour includes mid-morning tea with some light bites. We do not recommend bringing outside food or drink on your tour, unless you'd like to bring a bottle of water.
- Is there parking available?
- Yes, there is a free parking lot for all guests.
- Are pets allowed to come?
- No, other than certified service dogs, pets are not permitted.
- What about guests with special needs?
- Guests with special needs who are interested in visiting us but choose not to take the walking tour may request an Interpretive Guide and view a video on the history of Taliesin West while on site. Visually and hearing impaired guests who wish to bring someone to provide assistance on the tour such as a sign language interpreter may do so and the person providing assistance will not be charged admission.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you allow private parties or events?
- Spacious Taliesin West is well suited for hosting exclusive corporate receptions and dinners. Groups ranging in size from 20 to 120 have experienced memorable evenings at Taliesin West using the many indoor and outdoor spaces. For more information about setting up a private event, please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to get in touch with our staff.
- Do you offer large group tours?
- Yes, group tours are available and tours can be custom designed for prearranged groups of 15 or more. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss.
- Can we do a private tour?
- With advance notice (seven day notice preferred), individuals with very small groups may schedule a tour by an architect or personal guide. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss pricing and reservations.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Children under 12 are not permitted on this tour.
- Children under the age of 12 are not allowed on this tour. Please consider another tour option if you will be attending with young children.
Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West
Just minutes from downtown Scottsdale, Taliesin West is Frank Lloyd Wright’s desert masterpiece. In 1937, Wright and his apprentices built an architectural wonder out of the stone and sand that surrounded them in the Sonoran desert on the foothills of the McDowell Mountains. Many of those apprentices (“the Fellowship”) who worked and lived alongside Mr. Wright still live at Taliesin West, as do the current students and faculty of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture -- making Taliesin West an ongoing, vibrant community.
The Taliesin West experience is both immersive and powerful. Guests are fully welcomed into every room and space—nothing on the tour is behind ropes or under glass. The tours, which include such attractions as the Cabaret Theater, Music Pavilion, Garden Room, Desert Shelters, and Mr. Wright’s living quarters and private office, are filled with surprise, majestic views, and intimate interior details. Each tour inspires visitors with the innovative principles, beautiful creations, technological experiments, and unparalleled body of work of Frank Lloyd Wright. As a result, guests find the Taliesin West tour experience delightfully engaging and deeply relevant. While photos and descriptions may give you a hint of what’s in store, there is no substitute for experiencing it first-hand.
Come to Taliesin West and be inspired.