The 3-Hour Extended Insights Tour is "the tour" for architectural enthusiasts and will give you the most complete experience at Taliesin West. On this tour you'll get to experience all the aspects of the Insights Tour but with great extras such as guest speakers, mid-morning tea and a visit to a unique desert site. Some of the sites seen on this tour include:
- The living quarters along with the dramatic "Garden Room"
- Cabaret Theater
- Music Pavilion
- Wright's private office
True architecture enthusiasts consistently cite this tour as one the highlights of their travels.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Ruthgurney||Sat, Sep 26 9:15 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
I had taken other tours but highly recommend the Extended Insights. You get to see more and the beverage service ,snacks in the dining hall was great. The speaker in the dining hall added so much more to the tour. This tour gives you a much broader idea of what their experiences were in the beginning days. Our guide was excellent, very informative.
Informative and Relaxing
|jeslyjane||Sat, Sep 26 9:15 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Individual|
I've gone on other FLW tours at Taliesin West and this one was, by far, the best one yet! The extra money spent from the basic tour gets you so much more information and lets you see some really fantastic things. They also provide a snack and tea/lemonade half way through the tour. The guides are very well informed and can answer just about any question that you have! It is outside so make sure to bring a hat or sunglasses, but there are places that we stopped inside along the way. Wonderful wonderful tour!
great guide bought site to life!
|Templeman||Mon, Sep 21 9:15 AM||Male||40-49||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Harriet , our tour guide, combined in depth knowledge and passion to bring Taliesin west to life. This is a great tour, even for people like my wife who had very little prior knowledge of FLW. We were able to take as many photos / video as we wanted and didn't feel rushed at any point. It was really interesting to speak with Arnold about his experiences of being a student of FLW. The fact that this site is still used makes it more interesting than just some historic museum. We would highly recommend this tour.
A wonderful experience.
|EKParson||Sat, Sep 19 9:15 AM||Male||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
The tour was a great way to see the whole Taliesin West compound. Light lunch was provided and we had a guest speaker during lunch. Our guide was pleasant and very knowledgeable.
Awesome Tour, Highly Recommended
|gtrmusic92||Mon, Sep 7 9:15 AM||Female||20-29||Local||Family Without Children|
This tour was amazing with tons of interesting tid bits about the site's construction as well as details about the Frank Lloyd Wright as a man and architect
The extended insights tour was well worth it!
|Clhughes703||Mon, Sep 7 9:15 AM||Female||50-59||Local||Family Without Children|
If you are into FLW, Architecture, Construction, or History you will find the extended insights tour fascinating! Our special guest speaker Arnold Roy, who studied with FLW and our very informed tour guide Shar were both excellent. Tea break was hearty and delicious. A great morning!
fantastic value and one-of-a-kind experience
|Steiner9818||Sat, Aug 29 9:15 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
This tour was a fantastic way to spend a morning - our guide, Rommay, so far exceeded a standard guide's skill set it was remarkable. I would take the tour again just to hear her speak with such passion, knowledge, and grace. To see the property so in depth and be educated on so much more than just the actual buildings was fantastic. Then the opportunity to speak with Arnold, who studied with FLW at Taliesin West, was so far beyond the expectations of any tour that I can't properly express how important it is for tours like this to exist. To speak with Arnold, and Rommay who knew Mrs Wright and others that have since passed, is a living connection to the property and FLW's legacy. As an architect who was a casual FLW fan I can say I now have a much more deep respect for the architect and his style. And for non-architects, it was just as enjoyable - my mom was just as engaged and asked questions also - proof that this tour is great for anyone with the three hours to spare!
Loved every minute
|barryr2907||Sat, Aug 29 9:15 AM||Male||60-69||International Tourist(s)||Unspecified|
Romay was our expert and friendly guide, providing us with good information and, thankfully, keeping us out of the 109 degree temps as much as possible.
Excellent Tour with Knowledgeable Guide
|kwashaba||Sat, Aug 15 9:15 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Other|
Tea in the Dining Room with an archivist was a wonderful addition to a very personal tour of FLW's life and vision. A gift shop like no other rounded out the experience. If you are an FLW aficionado, don't miss this opportunity!
Fascinating, personal tour
|terrinolte||Thu, Aug 13 9:15 AM||Unspecified||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
The Inside Tour of Tsliesin West gave us the opportunity to get an up close and personal view of the workings of Taliesin West and the lives of Frank Lloyd Wright and his family as they lived and worked here I the west. The tour guide was extremely knowledgeable and happily answered our many questions. We were served tea in the dining hall!
- Do I need to buy tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What is the main difference between the flagship tours? Which one should I take?
- Our three flagship tours vary by duration and sights seen. The 90-minute Insights Tour is our most popular tour and is offered the most often. If you are looking for a more in-depth tour, consider the 3-hour Extended Insights Tour which includes everything on the Insights Tour and more, including guest speakers. However, if you are short on time, consider taking the Panorama Tour, which is 1-hour long and includes many highlights of the property but does not include the personal living quarters. In addition to our three year-round tours, we also offer a number of seasonal tours as well that explore other areas of Taliesin West.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- Unfortunately, children under the age of 12 are not allowed on this tour. If you have young children we recommend you click on the "Calendar of Other Activities" link to the left and check out one of our other tours that might be more appropriate for kids.
- What about bad weather?
- Taliesin West was built to be a part of its surroundings, therefore the tour is a combination of viewing interior spaces that are connected by outdoor walkways. The tour will run in moderate weather, but may be cancelled in the case of severe weather. You will be notified if the tour is cancelled and will be allowed to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future event.
- We will be on our feet for the entire tour?
- While the majority of the tour includes standing and walking, a portion of the tour includes having mid-morning tea in the Taliesin Fellowship dining room. We will be sitting during tea for approximately 30 minutes of the tour.
- What is included in the mid-morning tea?
- This is similar to a high tea and includes a variety of tea as well as small light bites, which vary from tour to tour.
- Who are the guest speakers?
- The Extended Insights Tour includes some great additions such as guest speakers. These are often people who have met or have worked with Frank Lloyd Wright himself and provide a first-hand experience of interacting with the famous architect.
- Can we explore Taliesin West on our own or do we need to take a tour?
- All tours of Taliesin West are guided and guests are not allowed to explore on their own. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge but guests must have tour tickets to view the remainder of the property.
- Is Taliesin West handicap accessible?
- Taliesin West is a National Historic Landmark built between 1937 and 1959. As such, it was not designed or built to contemporary accessibility standards. The pathway for tours includes gravel walkways, uneven steps and stairs. Narrow, steep-sloped ramps over steps are available for guests to use at their own discretion throughout the tour. Ramps are 26” in width with slopes ranging from 21 to 27 degrees.
- Do you allow photography?
- Guests are welcome to take photos for their personal use. There are a few areas where we do not allow photography, but your tour guide will alert you to these areas during the tour. If you are looking to use photos in a professional capacity, please contact us prior to purchasing your tickets by clicking on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to make arrangements.
- Is Taliesin West open all year round?
- Yes, we operate tours throughout the entire year. The Extended Insights Tour runs all year round, however, not all tours are offered throughout the entire year. Please be sure to check our "Calendar of Other Activities" for the exact tour schedule on the day you plan to visit.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes, Anneliese's Bookstore is located next to the main parking lot and stocks the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright Collection® products and books. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge and its regular hours of operation are 8:30am to 6:00pm October - May, 8:30am - 4pm June - August and 8:30am - 5pm in September.
- What should I wear? What should I bring?
- We suggest guests wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Since a portion of the tour takes place outside, be prepared for the day's weather and note there are gravel walkways that connect the buildings, so please be sure to wear appropriate shoes. We also recommend bringing a bottle of water and an umbrella. While we have a limited number of umbrellas available for guests, they can come in handy both on rainy and sunny days in the desert.
- Are food and drinks available for purchase?
- Food is not available for purchase. However, keep in mind this tour includes mid-morning tea with some light bites. We do not recommend bringing outside food or drink on your tour, unless you'd like to bring a bottle of water.
- Is there parking available?
- Yes, there is a free parking lot for all guests.
- Are pets allowed to come?
- No, other than certified service dogs, pets are not permitted.
- What about guests with special needs?
- Guests with special needs who are interested in visiting us but choose not to take the walking tour may request an Interpretive Guide and view a video on the history of Taliesin West while on site. Visually and hearing impaired guests who wish to bring someone to provide assistance on the tour such as a sign language interpreter may do so and the person providing assistance will not be charged admission.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you allow private parties or events?
- Spacious Taliesin West is well suited for hosting exclusive corporate receptions and dinners. Groups ranging in size from 20 to 120 have experienced memorable evenings at Taliesin West using the many indoor and outdoor spaces. For more information about setting up a private event, please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to get in touch with our staff.
- Do you offer large group tours?
- Yes, group tours are available and tours can be custom designed for prearranged groups of 15 or more. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss.
- Can we do a private tour?
- With advance notice (seven day notice preferred), individuals with very small groups may schedule a tour by an architect or personal guide. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss pricing and reservations.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- Children under 12 are not permitted on this tour.
- Children under the age of 12 are not allowed on this tour. Please consider another tour option if you will be attending with young children.
Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West
Just minutes from downtown Scottsdale, Taliesin West is Frank Lloyd Wright’s desert masterpiece. In 1937, Wright and his apprentices built an architectural wonder out of the stone and sand that surrounded them in the Sonoran desert on the foothills of the McDowell Mountains. Many of those apprentices (“the Fellowship”) who worked and lived alongside Mr. Wright still live at Taliesin West, as do the current students and faculty of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture -- making Taliesin West an ongoing, vibrant community.
The Taliesin West experience is both immersive and powerful. Guests are fully welcomed into every room and space—nothing on the tour is behind ropes or under glass. The tours, which include such attractions as the Cabaret Theater, Music Pavilion, Garden Room, Desert Shelters, and Mr. Wright’s living quarters and private office, are filled with surprise, majestic views, and intimate interior details. Each tour inspires visitors with the innovative principles, beautiful creations, technological experiments, and unparalleled body of work of Frank Lloyd Wright. As a result, guests find the Taliesin West tour experience delightfully engaging and deeply relevant. While photos and descriptions may give you a hint of what’s in store, there is no substitute for experiencing it first-hand.
Come to Taliesin West and be inspired.