You'll be drawn closer into the world of Frank Lloyd Wright on our most popular tour, the 90-Minute Insights Tour. The highlights of this tour include special trips into the Wrights' living quarters and the gracious Taliesin West living room known as the “Garden Room.”
The living quarters include the private bedrooms of Frank Lloyd Wright and his wife as well as the living room, which was the social gathering place of the home. Visitors will feel the beauty and peace of the spaces in which Frank Lloyd Wright welcomed the many famous guests he entertained at his desert home.
In addition, this tour also includes all the elements of the Panorama Tour which focuses on Wright's amazing ability to integrate indoor and outdoor spaces. We'll visit areas such as the:
- Cabaret Theater
- Music Pavilion
- Seminar Theater
- Wright's private office
For a limited time a visit to the 180,000 piece LEGO model of Taliesin West is included on this tour! Not available March 9-11.
Tuesday and Wednesday are discount days and prices on these days have already been adjusted.
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|Patfield||Tue, Sep 1 1:00 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Local||Couple on a Date|
Better than we expected. What made it even better was our tour guide, Skylar, who actually lived there until he was six since his father was a student during that time. Lived most of our 60 years in Chicago, but never toured the houses in Oak Park Mr. Wright designed. He was a very talented man who loved nature.
Informative, eye-opening, thorough, entertaining!
|hellomarylou||Mon, Aug 31 10:00 AM||Female||70+||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our guide was full of interesting inside information about the origins of the site, the construction, and Frank Lloyd Wright himself. I am a follower and a student of Wright and his history, going back to my origins as a child in Pittsburgh. We toured Fallingwater often and my family were intimates of Edgar Kaufmann in those days. Having moved to Scottsdale 40 years ago, I took it upon myself to tour (often!) Taliesin West on my own and when friends visited me. The guide and the staff were also considerate of the high temperature and our need to hydrate - I treasure my water bottle with the distinctive logo! All in all, I am still basking in the afterglow. Thanks so much.
Absolute beauty in design
|Ptcscott||Mon, Aug 31 9:00 AM||Male||50-59||Domestic Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Absolute amazing display of design and materials used to complement the surroundings and the views.
Utopic trip to the past
|SaraiZaballa||Sun, Aug 30 9:00 AM||Female||30-39||International Tourist(s)||Family Without Children|
Very interesting visit to this place, where Frank Lloyd Wright spent the last 20 winters of his life, surrounded by his students and friends.
Well preserved, the guided tour was beautiful despite the hot temperatures.
|Annaloewen||Sat, Aug 29 11:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
This tour was fascinating and very educational. We were glad to hear have purchased the extended tour because we saw extra areas and we're inside the AC enough to tolerate the heat. Parasols were available and made the outdoor portions much more comfortable. Wear sunscreen, take extra water, and enjoy!
|mbvidakovic||Sat, Aug 29 11:00 AM||Female||30-39||Domestic Tourist(s)||Individual|
Funny knowledgeable guide made the tour. It was a hot day but the water provided was appreciated. If you have the time, definitely worth the the trip. Would love to do the night tour if I ever get the chance.
Frank Lloyd Wright Insight Tour
|rachellel30||Sat, Aug 29 10:00 AM||Female||40-49||Local||Family Without Children|
We did the 90 minute Tour, but it turned into a wonderfully informative 120 minute tour. Our guide was Tom and he was excellent! I would highly recommend this Tour!
Beautiful tour led by knowledgable guide
|aml2020||Fri, Aug 28 12:00 PM||Female||20-29||Domestic Tourist(s)||Couple on a Date|
In 90 minutes we covered a lot of ground- an expanse of beautiful rooms. Our tour guide was eager to answer questions and gave knowledgable, detailed answers.
My only complaint is that the tour guide spoke with sing-song intonation that made it difficult to understand her words. It took me a while to get used to her voice, so I could not understand a single word of the first 5 minutes of the tour.
Amazing piece of American History
|LUCILLEDUGAN||Fri, Aug 28 11:00 AM||Female||60-69||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
This is the 2nd time I visited this site. Enjoyed the 1&1/2 hr tour, but the 3 hr. tour was more in depth. The architect himself was fascinating and so were the homes. The gentlemen in the cafeteria, (who was personally with F.L. Wright) shared so much more personal information than the shorter tour. Don't miss this part of our American History!
Well worth a visit
|JGMcgill||Thu, Aug 27 10:00 AM||Male||70+||Unspecified||Unspecified|
The guide was very well versed in the history of the home and provided many anecdotes along the way. Had a good knowledge of the initial purchase of the property all the way through its condition today. Had a good description of what it was like in the early years of the development . I came away with much better appreciation of the vision of Frank Lloyd Wright. Being a transplant from Scotland, I can see quite a few similarities in his designs to that of the famous Scottish architect, Rennie MacIntosh.
- Do I need to buy tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is highly recommended, as space is limited per tour. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please book well in advance. Tickets can be purchased using a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Why are the ticket prices different on certain days?
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays are our Discount Days and the ticket price has already been adjusted on these days. Keep in mind that all adults ages 13 and up are the same price on these days. Discounts can still be applied for Frank Lloyd Wright Association members by calling Zerve at (888) 516-0811. There is also a discount for those who take the Desert Walk tour on the same day. Check out the Combo tour for more information.
- What is the main difference between the flagship tours? Which one should I take?
- Our three flagship tours vary by duration and sights seen. The 90-minute Insights Tour is our most popular tour and is offered the most often. If you are looking for a more in-depth tour, consider the 3-hour Extended Insights Tour which includes everything on the Insights Tour and more, including guest speakers. However, if you are short on time, consider taking the Panorama Tour, which is 1-hour long and includes many highlights of the property but does not include the personal living quarters. In addition to our three year-round tours, we also offer a number of seasonal tours as well that explore other areas of Taliesin West.
- Are there any age limits? Can we bring our kids?
- For tours prior to October 1, 2015: Children of all ages can attend. We do offer a reduced price Youth ticket for ages 4-12 and infants and toddlers under 4 years old can come for free. For tours as of October 1, 2015: Children ages 6 and older are allowed on the tour and there is a reduced price ticket for ages 6 - 12. However, please note that younger children may not fully understand the content and get much out of it. As parents, you should use your best judgement as to whether your child will enjoy the tour. For families with young children we would recommend the Panorama Tour which would be more appropriate for kids.
- What about bad weather?
- Taliesin West was built to be a part of its surroundings, therefore the tour is a combination of viewing interior spaces that are connected by outdoor walkways. The tour will run in moderate weather, but may be cancelled in the case of severe weather. You will be notified if the tour is cancelled and will be allowed to reschedule your tickets or receive credit for a future event.
- Can we explore Taliesin West on our own or do we need to take a tour?
- All tours of Taliesin West are guided and guests are not allowed to explore on their own. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge but guests must have tour tickets to view the remainder of the property.
- How do I receive the Desert Walk combo discount?
- A combo discount is offered if you take the Desert Walk and the Insights Tour on the same day. These discounted tickets are available through the "Insights Tour & Desert Walk Combo Tour" activity. For more information about this tour, click on the link to the left.
- How much walking or standing will there be? Will I be able to sit down?
- Over the course of the tour, guests will walk about a block through the house at a casual pace. Guests will also have the opportunity to sit down in each room.
- Is Taliesin West handicap and stroller accessible?
- Taliesin West is a National Historic Landmark built between 1937 and 1959. As such, it was not designed or built to contemporary accessibility standards. The pathway for tours are not all paved and include gravel walkways, uneven steps and stairs. Narrow, steep-sloped ramps over steps are available for guests to use at their own discretion throughout the tour. Ramps are 26” in width with slopes ranging from 21 to 27 degrees. If bringing young kids or infants, we recommend a stroller that has larger wheels or a baby bjorn style carrier.
- Do you allow photography?
- Guests are welcome to take photos for their personal use. There are a few areas where we do not allow photography, but your tour guide will alert you to these areas during the tour. If you are looking to use photos in a professional capacity, please contact us prior to purchasing your tickets by clicking on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to make arrangements.
- Is Taliesin West open all year round?
- Yes, we operate tours throughout the entire year. The Insights Tour runs all year round, however, not all tours are offered throughout the entire year. Please be sure to check our "Calendar of Other Activities" for the exact tour schedule on the day you plan to visit.
- Do you have a gift shop?
- Yes, Anneliese's Bookstore is located next to the main parking lot and stocks the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright Collection® products and books. Admission to the bookstore is free of charge and its regular hours of operation are 8:30am to 6:00pm October - May, 8:30am to 4pm June - August, and 8:30am to 5pm in September.
- What should I wear? What should I bring?
- We suggest guests wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Since a portion of the tour takes place outside, be prepared for the day's weather and note there are gravel walkways that connect the buildings, so please be sure to wear appropriate shoes. We also recommend bringing a bottle of water and an umbrella. While we have a limited number of umbrellas available for guests, they can come in handy both on rainy and sunny days in the desert.
- Are food and drinks available for purchase?
- Food is not available for purchase. We do not recommend bringing outside food or drink on your tour, unless you'd like to bring a bottle of water, therefore we suggest grabbing something to eat either before or after your tour.
- Is there parking available?
- Yes, there is a free parking lot for all guests.
- Are pets allowed to come?
- No, other than certified service dogs, pets are not permitted.
- What about guests with special needs?
- Guests with special needs who are interested in visiting us but choose not to take the walking tour may request an Interpretive Guide and view a video on the history of Taliesin West while on site. Visually and hearing impaired guests who wish to bring someone to provide assistance on the tour such as a sign language interpreter may do so and the person providing assistance will not be charged admission.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available and they make perfect gifts for holidays, birthdays or any other occasion! To purchase a gift certificate please click on the "Gift Certificates: Purchase" link in the box above.
- Do you allow private parties or events?
- Spacious Taliesin West is well suited for hosting exclusive corporate receptions and dinners. Groups ranging in size from 20 to 120 have experienced memorable evenings at Taliesin West using the many indoor and outdoor spaces. For more information about setting up a private event, please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to get in touch with our staff.
- Do you offer large group tours?
- Yes, group tours are available and tours can be custom designed for prearranged groups of 15 or more. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss.
- Can we do a private tour?
- With advance notice (seven day notice preferred), individuals with very small groups may schedule a tour by an architect or personal guide. Please click on the "Contact TaliesinWest" link to discuss pricing and reservations.
- Non-refundable, can be rescheduled with 24 hours notice.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded. You may reschedule your tickets (subject to availability) only if you do so at least 24 hours in advance.
- Activity may be cancelled due to severe weather.
- The activity usually runs in light rain and other moderate weather conditions, but the seller may cancel the activity up to an hour before the start time in the event of severe or unsafe weather conditions. If the seller cancels the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule tickets (subject to availability) or receive credit for a future event.
- As of October 1st, children under 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- For tours prior to October 1, 2015 children of all ages can attend. However, as of October 1, 2015, children must be age 6 or older to attend the Insights Tour. Please consider another tour option if you will be attending with young children.
Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West
Just minutes from downtown Scottsdale, Taliesin West is Frank Lloyd Wright’s desert masterpiece. In 1937, Wright and his apprentices built an architectural wonder out of the stone and sand that surrounded them in the Sonoran desert on the foothills of the McDowell Mountains. Many of those apprentices (“the Fellowship”) who worked and lived alongside Mr. Wright still live at Taliesin West, as do the current students and faculty of the Frank Lloyd Wright School of Architecture -- making Taliesin West an ongoing, vibrant community.
The Taliesin West experience is both immersive and powerful. Guests are fully welcomed into every room and space—nothing on the tour is behind ropes or under glass. The tours, which include such attractions as the Cabaret Theater, Music Pavilion, Garden Room, Desert Shelters, and Mr. Wright’s living quarters and private office, are filled with surprise, majestic views, and intimate interior details. Each tour inspires visitors with the innovative principles, beautiful creations, technological experiments, and unparalleled body of work of Frank Lloyd Wright. As a result, guests find the Taliesin West tour experience delightfully engaging and deeply relevant. While photos and descriptions may give you a hint of what’s in store, there is no substitute for experiencing it first-hand.
Come to Taliesin West and be inspired.