Depart from Crisfield, MD on the Steven Thomas and travel to the Tangier Island. From the island, board the Chesapeake Breeze and travel to Reedville, Virginia. Go one way or round trip - whatever works best for you.
The Steven Thomas departs from Crisfield on select dates at 12:30 pm, arriving at Tangier Island at 1:45 pm. The Chesapeake Breeze departs the island at 2:00 pm and arrives in Reedville at 3:30 pm.
Round trip bookings:
The Chesapeake Breeze departs from Reedville at 10:00 am, and arrives at Tangier Island at 11:30 am. The Steven Thomas departs the island at 4:00 pm and arrives in Crisfield at 5:15 pm, leaving you ample time to enjoy the island's many attractions.
>>Cross bay ferry service is available on select dates, some of which are listed above. Additional dates may be available and must be arranged with the seller directly. If you'd like a date that is not listed above, please click on the "Contact TangierIC" link and let us know what date you are interested in. Someone will get back to you shortly to discuss arrangements.<<
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Advance purchase is strongly recommended, as cruises often sell out quickly. To maximize your chances of getting the day and time you prefer, please buy your tickets well in advance. Tickets can only be purchased with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- What if I need the cross bay ferry service on a date that isn't listed?
- We may have additional dates available upon request, so please click on the "Contact TangierIC" link and let us know what you're interested in! Someone will get back to you shortly.
- What if I want a one way or round trip starting in Reedville instead?
- There are one way and round trip cross bay ferry trips available from Reedville, but they must be arranged with the seller directly. If you're interested in leaving from Reedville, please click on the "Contact TangierIC" link and let us know what you're interested in. Someone will get back to you shortly!
- Is the boat handicapped accessible?
- The Steven Thomas does have a gangplank that will accommodate a 24" wide wheelchair or motorized scooter. If the wheelchair does not fit the gangplank and you can possibly walk aboard, we will load your wheelchair on the boat and transport it to the island for your convenience. The Chesapeake Breeze, which takes you from Tangier to Reedville, has the same handicap accommodations.
- Can we transport our own bikes on the ferry service?
- Yes, you can bring your own bike aboard the cross bay ferry service at a cost of $10.00, but storage is limited (available upon purchasing tickets).
- Can we bring our own kayaks on board to the island?
- Yes, you can bring your own kayak aboard the cross bay trip at a cost of $20.00, but storage is limited (available upon purchasing tickets).
- What if I have large personal belongings?
- Any freight items can be brought on board the cross bay trip for $2 a piece.
- Can we bring our own food and drink on board?
- Yes, you can bring your own food and drinks with you on the boat.
- Can we bring alcohol on board the boat?
- Yes, you can bring alcohol on board the boat, however, keep in mind that Tangier is a "dry" island and no alcohol can be purchased on the island. That does not mean alcohol is not consumed on the island, but it cannot be purchased, and visitors are not allowed to drink alcohol in the open or on the street. We therefore suggest you leave your alcohol on the boat while touring the island if you choose to do so.
- Can I bring a pet on board?
- Yes, passengers are allowed to bring pets as long as you clean up after them and keep them on a leash. Pets are welcome on Tangier Island as well.
- What kind of food and drinks are available at the on board snack bar? Do you accept credit cards?
- The on board snack bar on the Steven Thomas is cash only, and offers water, Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, and Sprite. Food options include packets of chips, crackers, or cookies (ranging from $.50 to $1). Bring extra cash with you if you'd like to enjoy refreshments on board! The Chesapeake Breeze features a snack bar with coffee, soft drinks and small snacks.
- Should I tip the crew?
- If you enjoyed your cruise gratuities are greatly appreciated!
- Are there life jackets on board?
- Yes, both boats have life jackets for every passenger, including children. Passengers are not required to wear life jackets during the cruise, however.
- Is smoking allowed?
- Yes, smoking is allowed, but only on the outdoor areas of the boats (not in the enclosed cabins).
- Are restrooms available?
- Yes, separate men's and women's restrooms are available on board.
- Is the cruise appropriate for pregnant women?
- Pregnant women are definitely permitted to cruise with us. Of course those who have any concern should consult with a doctor beforehand.
- Can I stow my personal belongings on board?
- Yes, if you are bringing luggage or other personal items, you can bring them on board with you. Keep in mind that bikes, kayaks, and freight items must be stored for a small fee - reservations for this storage will be available upon purchasing tickets.
- Will I get seasick?
- You'll find that the Tangier Sound and Chesapeake Bay are calm and seasickness is almost never an issue. Furthermore, the Steven Thomas and the Chesapeake Breeze are both large boats and are very stable on the water. However, if you are particularly prone to motion sickness, then you should take preventative measures beforehand.
- If I choose a round trip ticket, can I come back anytime?
- Sure! When you board the boat in Crisfield we will give you a pass and punch it so we know you have only taken one way. When you are ready to return, meet the Chesapeake Breeze at Reedville and then come to meet the Steven Thomas at the island to board for the return leg of your trip.
- Are gift certificates available?
- Gift certificates are not available for the cross bay ferry service, but are available for round trip island cruises and our sunset cruises are available. Please click on the "Contact TangierIC" link to request a gift certificate.
- Are private charters available?
- Yes, private charters for your group aboard the Steven Thomas are available. To inquire, please click on the "Contact TangierIC" link and let us know what you're interested in!
Tangier Island Cruises, Inc.
The boat features an air conditioned lounge, upper sun deck, snack bar, and restrooms, and is designed just for your comfort and safety.
Tangier Island's attractions include quaint and narrow streets, four superb restaurants with great seafood, a museum, and population of about 500 people who mainly speak with an Elizabethan accent!
Let the Steven Thomas make your trip to Tangier Island a memorable one!