Do you believe in ghosts and creature of the night? Whether your answer is yes or no, almost everyone enjoys a ghost story or an inexplicable tale of the unusual.
On this 1½ hour, family-friendly walking tour, you will:
- See the site of the Capitol Phantoms
- Hear stories of the Peg-legged ghost
- Sneak a peak of the Yarborough House ghosts
- Visit the Raleigh City Cemetery
- And end the tour at at Moore’s Square, one of Raleigh’s two remaining green spaces/parks established in 1792.
What Is Not Included?
|Sort by:||Date Attended||Gender||Age||Where From||Group Type|
|marissarimer||Sat, Nov 7 7:30 PM||Female||20-29||Unspecified||Unspecified|
Mixture of history with ghost adventures was a perfect way to spend a fall evening! Our guide, Emy was wonderful and highly recommend her tour!
Great history lesson of Raleigh
|lisahaigler||Sat, Nov 7 7:30 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Group of Friends|
Had a great time learning about the history of Raleigh and all the buildings that have some ghost activity. The only negative was it said it was an hour and half long but it actually was 2 1/2 hours. We had made plans for coffee afterwards and we hadn't planned on it ending so late.
|mlstil||Sat, Oct 17 7:30 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
We enjoyed rhe tour but had a really hard time hearing our guide. She was knowledgeable and entertaining, when we could hear her. We had a group of 15 or so, plus downtown noise and our guide would often turn her back to us when talking and we just didn't catch about half of what she said. Would also be helpful for her to project her voice better. She seemed to do alot of talking in a normal voice... Good if you are one on one, but not when talking to a big group
Tobacco Road Tours responded:
Response: Thank you for your comments. Well feel they are very valuable. Emily is a great guide. We are working on getting the guides microphones to use on the tour during the busy season. We feel this will solve the problem of the guides being drowned out by any noise.
Not family/child friendly as advertised.
|mmkellogg||Sat, Oct 17 7:30 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
I have been on similar adult oriented tours in other major cities and this tour did not compare well. I would have preferred more historical facts and better story telling -- the gory parts were more of the feature and over done. This tour was not child friendly. We had a middle age adult, young adult, 11 yr old and 8 yr old. The first building/story included "imagining the smell of burning flesh" ---- not 8 yr old appropriate. I saw two other adults cover their ears while the details of a purposefully nasty amputation were described in detail -- again, not child friendly. It would have been great to know in advamce that there was a phone app that could be used diring the tour. I told my 11 yr old to leave the phone at home because she would not need it and she unfortunatley missed out on a part of the tour that would have appealed to her. No one in our family wants to repeat the tour. Our young adult was going to arrange for friends to do a bar crawl tour but now is not sure it would be worth it.
The overall length of the tour was good and the time of evening worked well. We enjoyed the extra tid
bits provided by the security guard regarding the mysterious bicycle anyics at night. Overall it was okay, but not good for children and not worth recommending to friends.
Tobacco Road Tours responded:
We are sorry this tour did not meet all of your expectations, but we are glad you felt the length and time of the tour worked well. Each guide has his/her own stories and style of storytelling. We strive to make the tour fun and informative as well as haunted and ghostly. We will take under consideration that the some of the stories may be considered too detailed for children 8-11. Please consider taking the Pub Crawl. It is our most popular tour in Raleigh for adults 20 years old and up. It is very fun and a different experience.
First time ghost tour - can't say I'd do it again
|casimps1||Fri, Oct 16 7:30 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
This was our first ghost tour. Brad was very kind and knowledgeable about various places around downtown Raleigh. I did enjoy learning about the history and seeing the photos of how buildings looked long ago.
He was also a decent storyteller, though he did get mixed up several times and the ghost stories felt very cliche. Stairs were a pretty common form of death back in the day apparently. The final story from the cemetery was the best one, and he shared a personal connection to. A creature of some sort attacked one of his friends supposedly. However, if that's true and he believed it, I can't imagine he would ever set foot in that cemetery again.
I never really found myself spooked out. To be fair, it's very difficult to set a proper spooky mood when there's lots of lighting (even in the cemetery), fire trucks and loud motorcycles driving by. There was even a band playing beach music at the capitol building.
Tobacco Road Tours responded:
Thank you for your response and comments. We are glad you enjoyed learning about the history and the seeing the old photos of the building. Every guide has his/her own style and Brad has a very positive style and is a great storyteller and this is why he repeatedly receives the highest rating of all the guides and you seemed to agree. We are sorry you didn’t find it spooky enough. For the outside noise, this is something we cannot control and we feel it is part of the downtown experience.
Spooky Historical Walk
|TraceyFarr||Fri, Oct 16 7:30 PM||Female||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
Ghost stories blended with history. Interesting facts about the city. Kept a 12 year old interested! Wear comfortable shoes!!!
|rmcrackan||Fri, Oct 16 7:30 PM||Male||30-39||Local||Couple on a Date|
We enjoyed this ghost tour.
not the best tour, not the worst either
|jlamb0||Fri, Oct 9 7:30 PM||Female||40-49||Domestic Tourist(s)||Group of Friends|
Our guide was 15-20 minutes late. The owner of the company did come by to check in with our group when the guide was running late and promised refunds to all of us and apologized for our wait. To date the refund has not happened. The guide was very personable but was harried due to the late start and the fact that we had other plans later in the evening and had a hard stop time. She was frequently confused in her stories ( maybe she was new?) and at times it was difficult to follow her story. The locations were interesting, but I would recommend a different tour (they offer several) as there are other parts of Raleigh (such as Oakwood Cemetery) that are probably more interesting.
Tobacco Road Tours responded:
We are glad you heard interesting ghost stories, but we are so sorry that you were disappointed and your expectations were not met. We truly value your input and work with each guide, especially new guides, to develop their knowledge level throughout their journey with TRT so they continue to gain experience. We will work to make sure each future group receives the right about of historical information so they learn something on each tour. We would like a second chance. The owner will be contacting you so we so we can schedule on a second tour so we will have the opportunity to meet your expectations. .
|ejwalde||Fri, Oct 9 7:30 PM||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified||Unspecified|
I went on the Raleigh Haunted Footsteps Ghost Tour to learn about the rich history of Raleigh, and hear some interesting ghost stories. My expectations were not met.
First, our tour guide showed up 15 minutes late (even though the tour site stresses that you are there 10 minutes early so as not to miss the tour, and they do not offer refunds after you purchase tickets).
Our tour guide often scrambled stories, got off track easily, and made lots of small talk during the tour. I feel like I didn't learn anything. I am very disappointed and expected so much more from an established tour company. Raleigh is such an interesting city and they had a perfect opportunity to make this a fun and interesting tour. Unfortunately it was neither.
Tobacco Road Tours responded:
Thank you for attending and for your feedback. We are glad you heard interesting ghost stories, but we are so sorry that you were disappointed and your expectations were not met. We truly value your input.
We work with each guide, especially new guides, to develop their knowledge level throughout their journey with TRT so they continue to gain experience. We will work to make sure each future group receives the right about of historical information so they learn something on each tour. We would like a second chance. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can set you up on a new tour with a guide that will meet your expectations.
Nice new way to hear about Raleigh
|tnkeefer||Fri, Aug 21 7:30 PM||Male||40-49||Local||Family With Children|
We enjoyed the tour. Learned some history and interesting facts about Raleigh... including some of the "quieter" citizens. Thanks!
- Do I have to purchase tickets in advance?
- Yes, tickets must be purchased in advance. Tours often sell out so we suggest purchasing your tickets early to guarantee your desired tour day. You can buy your tickets either online or by phone with a Visa, Mastercard or American Express.
- Is the tour suitable for children? What type of ticket should I purchase for a very young child?
- The tour is appropriate for kids of all ages, but please note that this is a 1 ½ hour haunted tour, so you will want to keep your child's attention span in mind. Children ages 8 to 14 will have a reduced-price ticket. Children under 8 can attend free of charge and do not need a ticket.
- Do we go inside any buildings?
- We do not go inside any of the buildings we see on the tour. However, you may be able to return and explore your favorite locations at another time!
- Does the tour start and end at the same place?
- No, our tour ends at Moore Square, just a couple blocks from the meeting location.
- How far do we walk on the tour? What is the pace?
- We will walk about a mile at a leisurely pace.
- What about inclement weather?
- Tours will run rain or shine. We ask that you check the weather forecast and dress accordingly if inclement weather is predicted. You are welcome to bring your own umbrella if needed.
- Are there bathrooms along the way?
- Bathrooms will not be available during the tour. Please plan to use facilities beforehand.
- Will locals enjoy the tour as well or is it mostly for tourists?
- Absolutely! While you may be familiar with our route and some of the stops, you will also have the opportunity to discover new things about North Carolina's capitol city! Additionally, this tour is an excellent way to entertain out-of-town guests, entertain a youth group or encourage professional team building.
- Are the tours conducted in English only?
- Yes, at the moment we can only offer tours in English, but you are welcome to arrange for an interpreter. Please note that if you are accompanied by an interpreter, they will need a full priced ticket.
- Is there anywhere to buy food or drinks along the way? Can I bring my own?
- While no other food or drinks are included in the ticket price, feel free to eat beforehand or pack light snacks and drinks. Food and drinks will not be available for purchase along the way.
- Are cameras allowed on the tour?
- Yes, cameras are permitted and we encourage you to take photos!
- Does the tour guide accept gratuities?
- Gratuities are not included in the ticket price. While not required, tips are accepted and always appreciated by the tour guides.
- Is the tour wheelchair and stroller accessible?
- Yes, the tour is both wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- Is there public parking available nearby?
- There is a parking garage that we suggest very close to the meeting location. Specific parking directions will be included in the meeting location details after purchasing tickets.
- Can we shop during the tour?
- It is important that we stay on schedule, so please refrain from shopping during the tour.
- Are dogs/pets allowed on the tour?
- Yes, dogs and other small pets are allowed on the tour.
- Is smoking allowed on the tour?
- No, smoking is not permitted on the tour.
- Do you offer gift certificates?
- Yes! Gift certificates are available for purchase and make great gifts for family and friends. If you have any questions about purchasing or redeeming gift certificates, please click on the “Contact TobaccoRoad” link on the left side of this page.
- How is my gift certificate delivered? Can I print it out now and give it to the recipient myself?
- Yes, you can! When you purchase your gift certificate online, you will be presented immediately with your gift certificate so that you can print it out and deliver it. If you buy it over the phone, a link to your gift certificate will be emailed to you as soon as your purchase is completed.
- What if I want the gift certificate emailed to the recipient instead?
- That's no problem, either! When you purchase your gift certificate, just select the option to have the certificate emailed directly to the recipient and provide their email address. You'll even be able to decide whether you want the email sent immediately or if you'd prefer to schedule it to be emailed on a future date. (For instance, if you want to buy it today so you don't forget, but you don't want it emailed to the recipient until their special day!)
- Do you offer private tours?
- Yes, a private tour option is available! You pick the date and time for your special occasion or group as we work around your schedule. To inquire about booking a private tour, please click on the “Contact TobaccoRoad” link on the left of this page.
- Non-refundable, cannot be rescheduled.
- Once purchased, tickets cannot be refunded and cannot be rescheduled because your space is being guaranteed at the event.
- Activity takes place rain or shine.
- The activity runs regardless of weather conditions. In the rare situation where the seller is forced to cancel the event, ticket-holders will be allowed to reschedule to another time (subject to availability).
- Pictures and video may be taken during the tour.
- During the tour, your guide may take pictures and video that we may later use on our website or for marketing or social media purposes. Please let your guide know at the beginning of your tour if you do not wish to be included in any pictures or videos.
Tobacco Road Tours
As the Triangle area’s only full service tour operator, including event & meeting planning, group tours and daily professionally guided motorized and walking tours, Tobacco Road Tours has a commitment to sharing the traditions from North Carolinians before us, which inspires the creation for each of our tours. Whether you are traveling with us through historic Durham or Raleigh, or exploring the area's history on one of our tours, North Carolina’s Piedmont region provides an adventure that cannot be found anywhere else in the world.
Along with our dedication to sharing what North Carolina’s Piedmont region has to offer, we are committed to our values. Caring for our guests is always our number one priority. We make sure that our tours meet and exceed your expectations by offering quality tours packed with interesting history, fun facts, and an experience you will never forget.
Every tour is an extravaganza, complete with laughter, time honored stories and FUN. Grab a group of friends and join us!